August 2nd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The world's first tube tunnel carried the Tower Railway, under the river Thames from close to the Tower of London. It was soon changed to a foot tunnel, but lost business after Tower Bridge was opened. It is now used as a water main

It was opened on 2nd August 1870

barnetbee

Junior Team Sub
Pre season Friendlies
1996 - Barnet 0 Luton Town 1
1999 - Barnet 0 Tottenham XI 1
2011 - Potters Bar Town 1 Leverstock Green 3 (Herts Charity Cup)

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Friday @ 20-30.
France top tier.
Association de la Jeunesse Auxerroise 1 v 2 Brest Armorique FC.
@ Stadium Abbe Deschamps.

Image result for 1985 stadium abbe deschamps
-
Stade de l'Abbé Deschamps - Auxerre

--

AJ Auxerre- Bruno Martini , Jean-Luc Charles , Basile Boli , Pawel Janas , Jacques Perdrieu , Alain Fiard , Daniel Dutuel , Jean-Marc Ferreri , Didier Danio , Patrice Garande , Roger Boli (1).
Sub - Eric Cantona for Fiard.
Manager - Guy Roux.

Brest - Patrick Chaslerie , Henri Zembelli , Slavoljub Muslin , Jean-Pierre Bosser , Yvon Pouliquen , Vladimir Petrovic , Paul Le Guen , Pascal Gousset , Gerard Bernardet , Pascal Mariini (1), Gerard Buscher (1).
Subs - Parick Eon for Mariini , Serge Bellisi for Bosser.
Manager - Robert Dewilder.

Referee - Marcel Bignol.

17 x games (15 + 2 x Summer), 1 x 0-0Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock13x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.
1972 Hibs 3 v 0 Rangers.

-1870-First Tube Railway (Tower Subway)-----------1990 -Iraq invades Kuwait-------------------
Tower Subway opens under the Thames--
Invasion of Kuwait

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Paul Miller Testimonial.
Tottenham Hotspur 2 Rangers 2.
Adm £3.50. (South Terrace. Park Lane)
Prog. £1
Att. 16,365.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
Football

2008 King's Lynn - 4 Hillingdon Borough - 0 Southern League Challenge Match

2014 Horsford United - 3 Norwich CEYMS - 0 PSF

Rugby League

2003 Ipswich Rhinos - 42 West London Sharks - 28 @ Ipswich RFC Harry Jepson Trophy Round One Elimination Play Off

Running

1989 Adidas Torsion 5k - Norwich 18-18 51st

1994 Duke Street 5k - Norwich 16-54 23rd

2014 Norwich parkrun (205) 23-11 95th

hantslondoner

Youth Team Sub
Six more PSFs (one for a trophy), three of them on old WDYGs:

1977 - 1930 - Brentford 2 Brighton and HA 3 - attendance 2501, teamsheet issued
Good game, 1-1 at half time. Peter Ward's double for the visitors proved decisive, they also had Mark Lawrenson playing for them. Bees were promoted from Div 4 at the end of the season, thanks to a hatful of goals from Gordon Sweetzer and particularly Steve Phillips, both of whom scored here.

1997 - 1500 - Arundel 0 Purfleet 5
Professional performance by the higher-ranked visitors to outclass the Sussex League hosts. Ace goalgetter Steve Portway, another prolific goalscorer, was on the scoresheet.

2011 - 1845 - Otterbourne 1 Durley 2
The visitors would become Hampshire 2004 champions this season, and were too good for a team struggling in the Hampshire Prem. Two first half goals put Durley in control, and, despite a late rally by the home team, they looked pretty comfortable throughout. Played at Oakwood Rec, now home to Colden Common.

2013 - 1930 - Gainsborough T. 1 Grimsby T. 1 - overpriced programme issued
Fair result and a better performance from the home team. The took the lead in the first half through Williams but a defensive error gave John-Lewis the chance to equalise after the break. Nice old ground with classic main stand and good food.

2014 - 1500 - Bourne T. 2 Stamford 8 (Wilf Notley Memorial Cup) - attendance 144
The lower-ranked home team began well and took an early lead, but the Daniels got their act together after the half hour mark and went in 3-1 up. A goal for each team after the break, but then the visitors pulled away after and got a big score in the end, helped by Smith's hat-trick and a missed penalty by Bourne, to collect the impressive trophy.

2017 - 1945 - Southampton 0 FC Augsburg 4 - attendance est 8000, overpriced programme issued
Wet night, but the visitors showed better control, technique, and finishing. Saints started well and Long hit the post, but two goals from Gregoritch put the visitors in the box seat at half time. Saints again had a good start to the second half but after a few subs for both sides, conceded two more for a heavy defeat.

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1984/85 Sittingbourne 0 Maidstone United 5 (Friendly)
2014/15 Wingate & Finchley 3 Chalfont St Peter 0 Att 54 (Friendly)
2016/17 Leek Town 1 Buxton 4 Att 130 (Friendly)

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1990 Pre Season Friendly Northwich Victoria v Crewe Alexandra Won 2-1

1998 JJB Sports Super League III Warrington Wolves v London Broncos Lost 14-23

2003 Cherry Red Records Hellenic League Brian Wells Memorial Trophy Semi-final

Quarry Nomads v Chipping Norton Town 0-3

Played at Nomads own ground in the days before they shared with Oxford City. It was a railed pitch in a park which could not be developed any further. They issued for this game.

2005 Pre Season Friendly Congleton Town v Warington Town Won 1-3

2006 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v FC United of Manchester Reserves Won 3-2

2008 Pre Season Friendly Warrington Town v AFC Blackpool Won 3-0

2014 The P & D League hop – three games and three new grounds

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Premier Division
Riverside v Uppingham Town 3-1

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Premier Division
Netherton United v Thorney 2-1

ChromaSports & Trophies United Counties League Division One
Peterborough Sports v Bugbrooke St. Michael's 1-1

2015 Same hop again but on year on. Two new and one revisit (Thrapston)

ChromaSports & Trophies United Counties League Division One
Thrapston Town v St. Neots Town Saints 4-1

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Division One
Oundle Town v Baston 3-4

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Division One
Kings Cliffe United v Stamford Lions 0-1

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Hellenic League Premier
Longlevens 1-1 Brimscombe & Thrupp

A wet and windy evening in Gloucester, but a very warm welcome from the home club. At the time, the friendliest welcome I'd received at any ground anywhere.

This ground is right on the limits of my 'midweek matches that are doable by train' range, although it would have necessitated a taxi back to the station after the match, were it not for the kind offer of a lift from a fellow hopper.

The ground is visible from the railway line from Birmingham, but the station is about 1.6 miles further down the track. Arrived at the ground after a pleasant enough walk of around half an hour from the station - fortunately the rain had stayed away for that part of the evening - and was immediately ushered into the clubhouse for a cup of coffee and to sign the visitors book, and told to return at half time for sandwiches, which I duly did, and very tasty they were too.

The ground itself is fairly basic, with just a wire fence round much of it, it's perfectly possible for matches to be watched from outside without paying, and guests at the adjacent Hotel Ibis can also watch from their bedroom windows.

The small stand is the only covered area. It's quite a decent length, but only goes back two rows. I did sit for a few minutes in the second half, when the rain was at its heaviest, but found that my view was obstructed by standing spectators sheltering from the rain, so ended up just standing for the remainder of the match.

Onto the game itself, the two sides looked fairly evenly matched. Brimscombe & Thrupp possibly edged it in terms of possession and chances, but both sides had some decent periods of play, and a draw was undoubtedly the fairest result.

A lift back to the station left me in plenty of time for the 22.04 back to New Street, which is the last train that gives me a connection on my local line, getting home in torrential rain shortly after 11.30

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1980, Saturday, 3pm

Anglo Scottish Cup Qualifying Round First Leg
Falkirk v Morton, 2-2, H.T.0-1, Att 2500
At Brockville Park

Eight Scottish teams started out in the Anglo Scottish Cup, narrowed down to four in a Qualifying Round. The eligible clubs were the 4 who most narrowly missed out on Europe in the Premier Division plus the two promoted sides from each of Divisions 1 and 2.

Morton were an established Premier Division team. Falkirk qualified as Division Two Champions.

Teams
Falkirk: Geordie Watson, Sandy Burrell, Andy Nicol, Billy Stevenson, Bomber Brown, John Hay, Wilson Hoggan, Davie Watson, Gary Thompson, Ally McRoberts and John Perry. Subs Colin Spence and Donnie McDowell
Morton: Roy Baines, Jimmy Miller, Jim Holmes, George Anderson, Neil Orr, Jimmy Rooney, Andy Ritchie, Roddy Hutchison, Psycho Thompson, John McNeill, John Craig. Suns Ally Scott, Billy McLaren
Ref: K Stewart, Glasgow

Neil Orr and Bobby Thompson went on to play in England for West Ham and Middlesbrough respectively. I bump into Billy McLaren regularly in his current job as a Rangers scout.

It was a fine sunny day and a decent crowd turned up at Brockville. I was in the home end probably standing in the covered enclosure down near the Hope Street turnstiles.

Morton led at half time thanks to a penalty goal by Andy Ritchie. Back then the big man was being touted as a Scotland possible – his free kick skills and fancy footwork made him a formidable opponent. Ritchie added a second in 66 minutes and it looked like job done for the visitors.

The Bairns came roaring back and Colin Spence pounced on a loose ball to score in 84 minutes. Then Sandy Burrell was scythed down by Neil Orr and John Hay equalised with a penalty. It wasn’t the usual pre-season game at all, with full commitment from both sides.

No programme was issued. Pre match pints were probably taken in the Newmarket Bar. Possibly none after the game as I was winching at the time.

Morton won the Second Leg 5-1 just three days later at Cappielow. They went out in the Quartter Finals to Notts County.
morton 1.jpgmorton 2.jpgaug 2.jpg

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 2nd August 1997
Friendly Newquay v Shrewsbury Town at Mount Wise
Score 2-3 half time 1-1 Attendance around 650
Admission £5 Programme 40p
A family holiday in Cornwall enabled me to attend this fixture
which kicked off at 1525 instead of 1400 as Shrewsbury were
delayed in traffic. In a decent match Newquay led after 3
minutes after a Shrews defensive error. Shrewsbury got on top
though and hit the woodwork twice and missed a penalty
which hit the post before a header made it 1-1. In the second
half Newquay again led after another defensive lapse but
once again Shrews got on top and levelled with a penalty
from Steve Jagielka after 80 minutes
They then won the match with a late goal from Lee Taylor.

Wednesday 2nd August 2000
Friendly Sheppey Utd v Fisher Athletic at Central Park S'bourne
Score 0-4 half time 0-0 Attendance around 50
Admission £2 which included programme
Fisher won comfortably but missed a stack of chances in the
first half. Finally after 54 minutes they opened the scoring.
They then scored 3 goals in the final 15 minutes to give
the game an emphatic score.

Saturday 2nd August 2014
Also at Riverside 3 Uppingham 1 Attendance 257
Admission for this game was £5 and this caused a lot
of annoyance to many for admission to a field where it would
normally have been free. Several people attending refused to
pay and walked in for nothing. Personally I think £3 and £1
for the programme would have been much fairer. There was
also a thunderstorm during the game and many attending
either got soaked or scurried back to their cars ! Some managed
to find shelter under a gazebo which had been put up.

Then it was onto Netherton 2 Thorney 1 Attendance 281
Admission here was only £4 plus £1 for the programme.
Facilities here were much better and it felt like a proper
ground and the club had made a really good effort with
the catering.

Didn't attend the Peterborough Sports match as had already
been there so departed for home.

Sunday 2nd August 2015
Also attended all three matches on the Peterborough/UCL hop
and like wiretown editor above Thrapston was also a revisit.
Admission at both Peterborough League games was £4
and programmes were a £1.

Speedway
Sunday 2nd August 1981
National League at Monmore Green
Wolverhampton 36 Canterbury 42 followed by
Wolverhampton 48 Crayford 29
A trip by train from Banbury to Wolverhampton for a rare
Sunday afternoon meeting as Wolves always traditionally
ride on Monday nights. Think this may have been Wolves
only season in the second tier of speedway. Programme
is buried in a box deep in a wardrobe so unable to list
leading scorers

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
1975 Wimbledon 2 Watford 4
Pre season friendly crowd 1,100

Before the game I was roundly abused by the rest of the family for going to football on a baking hot day just to watch a friendly when the Ashes Test was on television, but I ignored it and went down to Plough Lane to see my team. Wimbledon had just won the Southern league and would win it again the next 2 seasons so we had a decent side whereas Watford had just been relegated to the 4th division so it wasn’t a surprise when we took the lead but it stung the visitors into action and they scored 4 goals to put them 4-1 up, probably couldn’t face the prospect of losing to a part time team. We pulled one back to make it 4-2 but overall were outclassed.

1986 Spanga 1 Wimbledon 2
Pre season friendly Crowd 800

No I’d never heard of Spanga before either but it’s in the suburbs of Stockholm and was the third game of a six match tour of Scandinavia prior to our first ever season in the top flight.8DA41BD9-9885-4FE1-951A-BCA07DE45708.jpegC4BA036A-6910-408E-800F-F1E6D582107C.jpeg842E2387-E8D1-4F91-8477-F47406A79E34.jpeg

1994 Rennes 0 Le Havre 0 crowd 14,450
Stade de la Route de Lorient

When I did my degree in French one of my lecturers was from Rennes and was apt to mention how he was there when they won the French cup in 1971 so it was nice to finally get to see the ground which didn’t disappoint although the game itself did. Something of a local derby which given the huge size of France means that 50 away fans even for a game like this was a rare sight in those days. The home side had Sylvain Wilford later of Arsenal up front but he was subbed after an hour and even when Le Havre had Claude Fichaux sent off with 15 minutes left they were unable to break the deadlock and the game ended scoreless.

Last edited:

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1986 - Feltham v Kingstonian - linesman.
1997 - Bournemouth Sports v BAT - referee.
2007 - Poole Borough v Hamworthy United - referee. Can't remember how strong a side Hamworthy put out.
2008 - Hamworthy United v Verwood Town - linesman.
2009 - Foresters Arms v Bournemouth Railway - referee, played at Grigg Lane in aid of Oakhaven Hospice.
2011 - Queens Park Athletic Res v Screw-it Carpentry - referee. Played at Ferndown Leisure Centre, the pitches are a long walk for the school/leisure centre complex. These two sides played in the lower reaches of the Bournemouth Saturday League.
2014 - must have been feeling super fit! A refereeing double header, Ferndown Sports A v Throop United followed by Ferndown Sports Reserves v FIFA Standards. Both at Fryer PF, West Moors, I think some Ferndown players played in both games.
2016 - Bournemouth v Fawley AFC (Wessex Premier) - observer. Again, a Tuesday night start to the season to get a game in before the FA Cup, Att. 61.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Regular
1980, Saturday, 3pm

Anglo Scottish Cup Qualifying Round First Leg
Falkirk v Morton, 2-2, H.T.0-1, Att 2500
At Brockville Park

Eight Scottish teams started out in the Anglo Scottish Cup, narrowed down to four in a Qualifying Round. The eligible clubs were the 4 who most narrowly missed out on Europe in the Premier Division plus the two promoted sides from each of Divisions 1 and 2.

Morton were an established Premier Division team. Falkirk qualified as Division Two Champions.

Teams
Falkirk: Geordie Watson, Sandy Burrell, Andy Nicol, Billy Stevenson, Bomber Brown, John Hay, Wilson Hoggan, Davie Watson, Gary Thompson, Ally McRoberts and John Perry. Subs Colin Spence and Donnie McDowell
Morton: Roy Baines, Jimmy Miller, Jim Holmes, George Anderson, Neil Orr, Jimmy Rooney, Andy Ritchie, Roddy Hutchison, Psycho Thompson, John McNeill, John Craig. Suns Ally Scott, Billy McLaren
Ref: K Stewart, Glasgow

Neil Orr and Bobby Thompson went on to play in England for West Ham and Middlesbrough respectively. I bump into Billy McLaren regularly in his current job as a Rangers scout.

It was a fine sunny day and a decent crowd turned up at Brockville. I was in the home end probably standing in the covered enclosure down near the Hope Street turnstiles.

Morton led at half time thanks to a penalty goal by Andy Ritchie. Back then the big man was being touted as a Scotland possible – his free kick skills and fancy footwork made him a formidable opponent. Ritchie added a second in 66 minutes and it looked like job done for the visitors.

The Bairns came roaring back and Colin Spence pounced on a loose ball to score in 84 minutes. Then Sandy Burrell was scythed down by Neil Orr and John Hay equalised with a penalty. It wasn’t the usual pre-season game at all, with full commitment from both sides.

No programme was issued. Pre match pints were probably taken in the Newmarket Bar. Possibly none after the game as I was winching at the time.

Morton won the Second Leg 5-1 just three days later at Cappielow. They went out in the Quartter Finals to Notts County.
View attachment 3371View attachment 3372View attachment 3373
Interesting your newspaper attachment no one getting fined but Cowden signing Grant Tierney who went onto a decent career eventually playing in the top flight.
I was at the game against Brora mentioned in the results it was the 2nd of 2 benefit games for Davy Fair who had played for both sides and was killed in a car crash .

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1977 Rotherham United 0 Ayr United 0
1994 Skegness Town 0 Blades XI 2
1997 Hyde United 4 Blades XI 2 David Nolan Testimonial
2013 Blades 2 Notts County 1 L1 HT 1-0
2014 Wombwell Main 0 Shaw Lane 4 HT 0-1 @ Queens United, Wath-on-Dearne

Rugby League
2003 Underbank Rangers 42 St Albans 22 Nat. L3 HT 17-22
2008 Dewsbury Celtic 56 Liverpool Buccaneers 32 Regional Conf. National HT 46-6

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1986- P S F. Leyton Wingate v Fisher Athletic 0-0 at Ive Farm which was Walthamstow Trojans ground then.
1987- Two matches in a four team tournament at Ibrox:
Ajax v Real Sociedad 2-1.
Rangers v Internacional Port Alegro 1-1 (Pens 4-5).
1988- P S F. Raith Rovers v Motherwell 0-1.
1990- P S F. Featherstone Colliery v Bradford City X1 1-3.
1991- P S F. Newquay v Plymouth Argyle 0-0.
1992- Two P S F's:
Tavistock v Shortwood United 2-1.
Torrington v Kings Arms, Exeter 3-3.
1998- Goldline Trophy. Group A. B S F Veterans v Eagley 3-1 at Eagley.
Followed by Rugby League at the Boundary Park. Oldham v Workington Town 12-9 in Div.2.
2000- Goldline Trophy. Group ?. Elton Fold v Atherton Collieries 0-5.
2001- South of Scotland League. Crichton v Dumfries 0-4 at Crichton Royal Hospital Park.
2003- Scottish League Challenge Cup 1st round. Hamilton Academical v St Johnstone 2-3 (aet).
2008- P S F. Whiteley Bay v Thackley 1-0.
2010- Barkston Ash FA. Prostar Cup 1st round. Swillington Welfare v Aberford Albion 1-6.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
11 games for me on this list, passing through the first four quickly
1983 - Pagham 0-3 Bognor Regis Town (130)
1986 - Cheltenham Town 3-2 Bristol City (500)
1987 - Cheltenham Town 0-1 Swindon Town (1,268)
1994 - Harpenden Town 1-0 Leverstock Green (50) Herts Charity Shield.

The first three are friendlies, and both Cheltenham games are evening kick off, despite being on Saturday (86) and Sunday (87). This is because they were during the cricket festival, and it is a safe assumption that I was at cricket both times

1997 - Wasquehal 2-1 Mulhouse (1,625). French League, Division 2. There is not a lot to say about the Stadion Nord, or the game. There was a programme, and we paired the match with a Belgium cup game on the Sunday. The first goal was scored by William Loko, brother of Patrice.

1998 - Rot Weiss Oberhausen 0-0 KFC Uerdingen (7,387). 40 DM to enter, 1 DM for the programme. Quite a journey to get to this one off Lustenau the day before. I cannot remember my travel reasoning at the time, and why I could not have found something intersting a little further south. It is early in the season of course, and many divisions would not have started. KFC Uerdingen, formerly named Bayer were on their way down the divisions.

2003 - VfL Wolfsburg 3-2 VfL Bochum (15,976). My previous visit to Wolfsburg was for a dull game on a dull day, this one with the sun out was much better. Wolfsburg were now on their new stadium, and the crowd for this Bundesliga game was almost three times that for a 2. Bundesliga game at the old stadium 10 years earlier. Wolfsburg took an early 2-0 lead, but Bochum got it back to level by half-time. Only one goal after the break

2008 - After Derry, a trip to the seaside, to watch Carrick Rangers play Ballinamallard United. A pleasant day all around, nice and sunny, a walk around the castle, some decent beer and a decent football game. Pictures from this make up the tweet of the day. It was £6 to enter, no programme and around 130 at the ground. Carrick had a player sent off for a professional foul, giving away an early penalty, and were 3-1 down with 15 to play when they dropped to 9 men, thanks to a second caution. The visitors made it 4-1 in the final minute

2009 - Second round of the Belgium Cup, KFC Vrasene 2-1 KFCO Wilwijk (130).

P8020338 m.JPG

2011 - Golborne Sports 3-1 Daisy Hill (42). Atherton Charity Cup

2016 - Laverstock & Ford 5-0 Pewsey Vale (50). Wessex League, and a resvisit for this game

Warwickian

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 2nd August 1997
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 5 Stenhousemuir 1
Scottish 'Coca-Cola' League Cup.1st Round

A weekend trip upto the north of Scotland to visit Inverness's new ground.The Caledonian Stadium was very much a one sided ground on my visit and if I recall my seat was an uncovered part of the main stand.Not a problem on a nice sunny day in August but it wouldnt be much fun in the depths of winter!
Stenhousemuir took the lead on 14 minutes through Gareth Henderson but Charlie Christie equalised on 32 minutes.Stenhousmuir held out until the 69th minute when a penalty from Brian Thomson gave Caley the lead and from then on there was only going to be one winner.Thomson scored two more goals and Barry Wilson also got his name on the score sheet.
Attendance of 1,735 and there were a few others up from England for this match.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 2nd August 1997
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 5 Stenhousemuir 1
Scottish 'Coca-Cola' League Cup.1st Round

A weekend trip upto the north of Scotland to visit Inverness's new ground.The Caledonian Stadium was very much a one sided ground on my visit and if I recall my seat was an uncovered part of the main stand.Not a problem on a nice sunny day in August but it wouldnt be much fun in the depths of winter!
Stenhousemuir took the lead on 14 minutes through Gareth Henderson but Charlie Christie equalised on 32 minutes.Stenhousmuir held out until the 69th minute when a penalty from Brian Thomson gave Caley the lead and from then on there was only going to be one winner.Thomson scored two more goals and Barry Wilson also got his name on the score sheet.
Attendance of 1,735 and there were a few others up from England for this match.
They had a token number of steps around the other sides, I stood on them the December before your visit - bloody freezing but the woman in the pie hut told the small amount of Cowden fans to help themselves to the unsold pies in the second half😀
The main stand is a strange design with the uncovered wings.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
1975 (Saturday)

West Bromwich Albion 1 Mansfield Town 1
Anglo Scottish Cup Group B
@ The Hawthorns
Att: 5,704

This was the first season of the A-S Cup, a competition which did not seem to capture the fan's imagination in the way the Watney Cup had 4 years earlier. It was also the first time Albion had played Mansfield in a competitive game.

Although Mansfield were a good side who had been promoted from Division 4 at the end of 1974/75, Albion's lacklustre showing gave no indication that this would be the season we regained Division 1 status after three years in Division 2.
Mansfield went on the win the group, then defeated Ayr Utd over two legs before losing to Middlesbrough in the semi-final.

Goals were scored by players who had lengthy careers at the respective clubs - Len Cantello (301 appearances) & Kevin Bird (450).
AS.jpeg

A year later there was a huge Monday evening game, which surpisingly has not yet had a mention !

Crewe Alexandra 2 West Bromwich Albion 6
@ Gresty Rd
Att: 1,089
Not sure if this was the first time Albion had played Crewe. The first competitive match was not until 1996 in the FA Cup

Scorers - Bernard Purdie, Roberts*; Ally Brown (2), Cantello, Mayo, Tony Brown (p), Nisbet
* I was unable to find any info on "Roberts", no doubt Hoddy will know more.
CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks