Celebrity Deaths 2020 (& Dec 19)

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Continues the thread from the previous forum.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
US puppeteer Caroll Spinney, famous for playing Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on children's TV show Sesame Street, has died at the age of 85. He passed away at his home in Connecticut after living with dystonia for some time. He only retired last year.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Marie Fredriksson, lead singer of Roxette, has passed away at the age of 61.

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Former Emmerdale Farm actress, Sheila Mercer AkA, Annie Sugden has died aged 100.

although her last appearance on the show was in 2009, the character is still alive and well and apparently still referenced from time to time.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
The actor Nicky Henson has died at the age of 74.

He is best known for appearances in Fawlty Towers, EastEnders and Downton Abbey, as well as taking the title role in the 1995 revival of ITV's 'Shine On, Harvey Moon'.

He also played the lead guest in the second ever episode of 'Minder' in 1979, as released convict George Wilson living under Terry and Arthur's care in 'Bury My Half At Waltham Green' (Series 1, episode 2).

1576544152382.png

Last edited:

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
We lose another Bond Girl this year with the death of Claudine Auger, aged 78.
She played Dominio, in the classic Thunderball.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
R.I.P. Martin Peters - Spurs Legend Aged 76

England World Cup Winner and scored England's 2nd goal in the final vs West Germany

Won Uefa Cup and League Cup ( twice) with Spurs

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
American actor David Aiello has died at the age of 86.

Through the early part of his career he had minor roles in films such as 'Bang The Drum Slowly' (1973) and 'The Godfather Part II' (1974), 'Fort Apache: The Bronx' (1981) and 'Once Upon A Time In America' (1984), before gaining a substantial part in Woody Allen's 1985 romantic comedy 'The Purple Rose Of Cairo'. This led his career onto his two most renowned roles: firstly in the 1987 comedy 'Moonstruck' where he played the ditched fiance of Cher. Then most famously in Spike Lee's 1989 film 'Do The Right Thing' where he starred as pizzeria owner Sal, for which he received Oscar and Golden Globe nominations for best supporting actor.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
American song-writer Allee Willis has died at the age of 72.

She co-wrote music and lyrics for the hits 'September' and 'Boogie Wonderland' for Earth, Wind & Fire, 'Neutron Dance' for the Pointer Sisters, 'What Have I Done To Deserve This?' for Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield, and 'I'll Be There For You' for the Rembrandts which went on to be the theme tune to the television show 'Friends'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50910494

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
I suppose this could go in the football obituaries, but Colin Weir, famous for winning the Euro Millions, philanthropist and owner of Patrick Thistle has died suddenly after a short illness, aged 71.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Neil Innes, collaborator with the pythons, and member of the Ruttles and the Bonzo Dog Doh-Dah band died on December 29, aged 75.

So farewell to the urban spaceman

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Neil Innes, collaborator with the pythons, and member of the Ruttles and the Bonzo Dog Doh-Dah band died on December 29, aged 75.

So farewell to the urban spaceman
Sad sad news. A talented songwriter and the only songwriter, to my knowledge, to use the word pusillanimous in a song.. RIP Neil

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
I missed this earlier this year, but British actress Irene Sutcliffe has died at the age of 94.

Her best known acting role was that of the character Maggie Clegg in 'Coronation Street' from 1968 to 1974, after which she went on to appear in television shows as diverse as 'Z-Cars', 'All Creatures Great And Small', 'Never The Twain', 'The Bill', and the very first episode of 'Morse' in 1987 The Dead Of Jericho.

In cinema, she'll always be remembered for her appearance as Miss Mabs Blenehassitt of the Penrith Tea Rooms in 'Withnail & I' (1986)...

1577734373795.png

"We're coming back in here!"

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Here's another actor I really like watching who I've only just heard died earlier this year - Del Henney has died at the age of 80.

His best known film credits include appearing at Charlie Venner in 'Straw Dogs' (1971), and as Drexel with a decent amount of screen-time alongside John Wayne in 'Brannigan' (1975), stories of which I bet he got to drink out on for many years afterwards.

On television, he had a huge number of appearances in many different programmes over nearly fifty years. He appeared as character Eddie Duncan in 'Coronation Street' in 1971, and twice appeared in 'The Professionals': first alongside David Suchet in the episode Where The Jungle Ends (1978 - Season 1, Episode 6), and then as the star guest in A Man Called Quinn (1983 - Season 5, Episode 10) alongside Steven Berkoff.

He was also the star guest in one of the very first episodes of 'The Sweeney', called Jigsaw (1975 - Series 1, episode 5), playing a recently released jailbird called Eddie Boyse who Regan suspects is still active in crime, with Boyse's increasingly set-upon wife, June (played by Sheila Gish), finally grassing him up. It was this specific episode and Del Henney's character that inspired Chris Difford's line in Squeeze's 1979 hit 'Cool For Cats': "In and out of Wandsworth with the numbers on their names/It's funny how their missus always looks the bleedin' same".

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
TV medium/psychic Derek Acorah has died aged 69

TowlawTom

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FBPE United
Actor Christopher Beeney has died aged 78.
Probably best remembered for playing footman Edward in the award winning Upstairs Downstairs.

RIP.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Actor Christopher Beeney has died aged 78.
Probably best remembered for playing footman Edward in the award winning Upstairs Downstairs.

RIP.
I remember the scene in Upstairs Downstairs where his character had returned from the Great War and after the war ended fireworks were set off and he sat indoors deeply distressed as the noise reminded him of the events in the trenches. RIP Christopher.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks