Connah's Quay

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Regular
The FAW confirmed this afternoon that Connah's Quay are Welsh champions and therefore go into the Champions League. TNS, Bala Town and Barry Town go into the Europa League.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The FAW confirmed this afternoon that Connah's Quay are Welsh champions and therefore go into the Champions League. TNS, Bala Town and Barry Town go into the Europa League.
Does that mean the Welsh Cup has been abandoned as well?

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
TNS wanted to play on or, if the season couldn't be finished, have a playoff with CQN for the title, based on the fact that TNS were top after phase 1 of the season (22 games): https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/the-new-saints/2020/05/19/tns-set-to-discover-how-league-will-end/

Interestingly the article also mentions that the much-contrived weighted average PPG method would have given TNS the title, despite being four points behind having played the same number of games. I understand the same methodology, if applied in the EPL, would relegate West Ham, even though they're two places outside the bottom three and would still be outside it even if Villa won their game in hand. I suspect weighted average will forever remain an idea.

Last edited:

buckielugger

Junior Team Starter
I still don't get how any league can declare a club as "Champions" when they're plainly not.
For me, either the season should be completed whenever that may be possible (and the next season delayed accordingly) or else simply abandon matters.
Clubs could still be entered into appropriate UEFA competitions according to current positions but not as "Champions" or "Runner's Up" etc. After all there are plenty of clubs in Champions Lge who are not champions and for years many clubs entered the Cup Winners Cup without having actually won their national cup.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
TNS wanted to play on or, if the season couldn't be finished, have a playoff with CQN for the title, based on the fact that TNS were top after phase 1 of the season (22 games): https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/the-new-saints/2020/05/19/tns-set-to-discover-how-league-will-end/

Interestingly the article also mentions that the much-contrived weighted average PPG method would have given TNS the title, despite being four points behind having played the same number of games. I understand the same methodology, if applied in the EPL, would relegate West Ham, even though they're two places outside the bottom three and would still be outside it even if Villa won their game in hand. I suspect weighted average will forever remain an idea.
Lets all hope the EPL vote for PPG

penny banner

Junior Team Sub
Anyone would think for some reason you want West Ham to be relegated. Can't imagine why!

Harry West

Junior Team Starter
This is taken from the Y Clwb Peldroed web site.

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2020/05/17/cymru-leagues-clubs-vote-conclusion-1920/

Cymru Leagues clubs vote on the conclusion of the 2019/20 season

May 17, 2020 by Jordan Jones in Cymru Leagues

Cymru Leagues clubs made their preferences heard today as each club voted on how the current season should conclude.

Following a video conference call headed by the FAW’s Head of Competitions, Andrew Howard, clubs were presented with a number of options presented earlier in the week and had until mid-day today to cast their vote.

A total of four options were put on the table to clubs according to reports by LeaderLive and the Rhyl Journal.

Cancelling the season, conducting fixtures in an alternative format and a possible ‘premature’ termination was listed by the outlets.

Conwy Borough club chairman Chris Wilton was present at the remote conference meeting and praised the initial process.

“The clubs listened to a very good presentation by the FAW on the challenging circumstances in which football finds itself.

“A number of possibilities were put forward for consideration but I certainly didn’t hear anyone calling for a particular outcome..

“In my estimation the clubs who participated in the call did so in a very respectful manner and there were no partisan calls for any particular method of concluding the season.

“Everyone in attendance appreciated that the decision the FAW will have to make is a tough one.”

One option proposed by New Saints chairman, Mike Harris, is to decide the Cymru Premier based on what the table was at the end of the Phase One.

Each side in the Welsh top flight played each other twice and were four points clear of the Nomads.

Four games into Phase Two however, the Nomads overturned that deficit and at the point of suspension, Andy Morrison’s men had a four point gap over TNS.

Included in the Rhyl Journal’s report, a separate meeting involving Caernarfon Town, Cardiff Metropolitan, The New Saints and Prestatyn Town was held to decide a possible outcome of the Welsh Cup.

Harry West

Junior Team Starter
Also from the Y Clwb Peldroed web site.

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2020/05/19/swansea-university-cymru-south-champions/

Swansea University named champions of Cymru South

May 19, 2020 by Jordan Jones in Cymru Leagues

Swansea University have been awarded the Cymru South title after the Welsh domestic season was brought to an end.

The Students held a one-point advantage over the Bluebirds before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Respective divisions from Tier One to Tier Four were decided on an ‘unweighted points per game’ method to decide the final standings.

A statement from the FAW said: “Prize money for the JD Cymru Premier, JD Cymru North, JD Cymru South and the Orchard Welsh Premier Women’s League would be distributed in accordance to the final league positions after the points per game method was applied.

“The FAW Board are yet to decide on promotion and relegation between leagues with a decision to be made in due course, taking into account full consideration of the FAW’s Pyramid Regulations.”

Their Cymru South success is another milestone in the clubs’ history after a rapid rise through the Welsh pyramid system since their reformation in 2011.

Club captain Adam Orme described his joy as his side were crowned Champions:

“I’m ecstatic to be crowned champions of the JD Cymru South! It’s a shame we couldn’t finish the season but safety is more important than being on the field right now.

“I’m proud of everyone who’s been on board with us from the start, It’s been a club effort.”

Swansea University did not attain a Tier One licence for the 2020/21 season after an unsuccessful appeal and will not be eligible for promotion should it be applied.

Title rivals Haverfordwest County, however, have been granted the licence and await the decision from the FAW.

Caerau Ely, Cwmamman United and Taffs Well all face an anxious wait as the FAW decides on promotion and relegation.

Cymru South table 209/20 points per game

(C) Swansea University – 2.24

Haverfordwest County – 2.20

Briton Ferry Llansawel – 1.96

STM Sports – 1.77

Cambrian & Clydach Vale – 1.74

LlanellI Town – 1.54

Ammanford – 1.48

Goytre United – 1.44

Pontypridd Town – 1.40

Afan Lido – 1.36

Llantwit Major – 1.13

Undy Athletic – 1.10

Cwmbran Celtic – 1.00

——

(R?) Taffs Well – 0.84

(R?) Cwmamman United – 0.77

(R?) Caerau Ely – 0.38

Harry West

Junior Team Starter
Also from the Y Clwb Peldroed web site (Extracts).

https://clwbpeldroed.org/2020/05/20/prestatyn-town-champions-cymru-north/

Prestatyn Town crowned champions of the Cymru North

May 20, 2020 by Jordan Jones in Cymru Leagues

Prestatyn Town have won the inaugural Cymru North title after the season was cancelled by the FAW.

The Seasiders have been named as the inaugural winners of the division after the 2019/20 season was curtailed due to the coronaivrus pandemic.

Cymru North table 2019/20 points per game
(C) Prestatyn Town – 2.71

Flint Town United – 2.23

Guilsfield – 2.05

Colwyn Bay – 1.96

Bangor City – 1.68

Conwy Borough – 1.43

Llanrhaeadr – 1.43

Penrhyncoch – 1.39

Ruthin Town – 1.22

Buckley Town – 1.20

Gresford – 1.18

Llandudno – 1.05

Llangefni Town – 0.88

Porthmadog – 0.78

Corwen – 0.64

Llanfair United – 0.43

A decision to postpone the Welsh Cup was also made by the National Cup board.

The competition may resume prior to the start of the next football season, however European football for the winner will not be on offer for the winner.

Barry Town United have been nominated as the fourth representative for European competitions.

Promotion and relegation has yet to be decided by the FAW but Prestatyn are at a disadvantage after not attaining the Tier One Licence.

A letter of complaint was sent to chief executive Jonathan Ford from Prestatyn about the decision.

A video conference call was held by the club to its supporters to discuss the licence failure.

The Rhyl Journal says Prestatyn may consider taking the matter to the Court of Arbitration.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I was half expecting Mike Harris to kick up a right stink over the FAW decision to hand CQN the title but he has congratulated them so everything looks sorted on that one.

Harry West

Junior Team Starter
Mark my words: There will be a twist in the tail yet.
It is clear that the FAW has made a real effort to consult clubs. What else do you suggest they should have done?
Any decisions under current circumstances will have those clubs which may feel aggrieved but it is necessary to take decisions. Should there be disputes as a result there are set procedures in place, which are made known to all clubs, so that they can pursue them - I am sure that you know enough to understand that so why the negative commentary?
Is your club, assuming you support a club in Wales, likely to be at the wrong end of FAW decision making?

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Regular
Assumptions, Mr West, assumptions.

There are wheels within wheels which those outside of the Principality would find hard to fathom.

Harry West

Junior Team Starter
Fascinating!
Would you care to expand or maybe not?
On those occasions when individuals are not willing or able to verify what they have intimated it doesn't mean that they are inaccurate or, indeed, wrong but it doesn't half beg questions. Don't you think?

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Assumptions, Mr West, assumptions.

There are wheels within wheels which those outside of the Principality would find hard to fathom.
That's because they never amount to anything!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks