Corinthian League 55/56

Honeycroft

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Uxbridge
Still trying to audit all my UXBRIDGE records and really struggling with this particular season. I've checked all the results in the newspapers. The programmes I inherited had the results and scorers marked and they all match. League tables printed in the programme match with 5 games to go. Final table shows goals for 55. My records 56. arghhhh. Does anyone have a results grid I could look at as I feel I'm going mad.

Thanks.

Maidonian

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Maidenhead United
From Richard Lambert's excellent Historical website:

1590253749413.png
The League Table has Uxbridge's GF as 56

Honeycroft

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Uxbridge
And the final 1955/56 table:
View attachment 1843
Thanks Mark

I wasn't going mad then. It appears the league table on NLM is incorrect as is the one on wiki and the one in the Corinthian League handbook. Maidstone United have an extra goal against which makes my goals for of 56 correct.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Hope you are keeping well.

Dingo

Junior Team Sub
You are not alone.I've also had a good look at this table in the past.
It's not just the Maidstone figure's that are out on the NLM table (compared to Richard Lambert's),but also Maidenhead,Grays,Edgware,Erith and Chesham.

Although whoever compiled the NLM table did leave the caveat:
''ERROR number of goals for (688) not equal to number of goals against (691)''

Last edited:

E&E Rich

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Epsom & Ewell
If I can just add for clarity, where the cell is green in my results table that Mark has shown above, it is because I have either seen a match report or reasonable detail to confirm the result.

Other colours are not quite so certain and range from fairly reliable club records (either from a programme or club historian), to less reliable paper records where just the result was printed. It's a start but it can often be wrongly reported, which is why I look for a number of verifications before being certain.

Having now confirmed with my colleague at Grays Athletic, that Erith away match was indeed 3-1 which means that this table (which originally came from Mike Wilson's excellent Corinthian League Book) is wrong by a goal either way and will be amended at some point in the near future.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks