Coronavirus

Northstandexile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Easy, they have cctv on trains and at train stations and with face recognition, no probs.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Being a bit old, I don't really understand this Track and Trace system.

It's fine if you know who you are with, but surely being within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes is something which mainly happens at shops or on public transport. 15 minutes is a pretty long time to be next to a person, especially if you don't know them. If the tracker asks " and who were you standing next to on the train?" an answer of " a tall woman with brown hair and green trousers" is surely not of much use.

Have I got it wrong?
That’s where the app would come in. But it seems that’s been delayed, so the UK Government are having to launch track and trace without it. Whether a better option would have been to continue the lockdown until everything was ready remains to be seen.

bakis

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Kidderminster Harriers
Easy, they have cctv on trains and at train stations and with face recognition, no probs.
Maybe I'm another ancient person with little appreciation of modern technology but, though cctv might confirm that you were indeed standing next to a tall lady with dark hair who was wearing green trousers the day before yesterday, how does it help identify who they actually are? This won't be a murder inquiry with half a police force on the case.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Regular
Not sure I understand the app thing either. If you don't have a smartphone or, if you do, you don't download the app how will anyone know you were close to someone who tests positive, or be able to contact you if you are identified in some other way?

As for facial recognition - is that even legal as a matter of course ? I seem to remember some sort of rumpus a few months back where somewhere wanted to use it but it was deemed illegal.

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
But if we're all wearing masks? :)

The irony is that it's the totalitarian Chinese state that has been keenest to link CCTV and face recognition software. I suspect that long term they'll be very anti the wearing of face masks.

They're also making it much more difficult for people to make payments in cash. Payment by card makes it easy to track where people are and where they have been. Sadly it's not health concerns that makes them want that information. In China Big Brother is really getting his act together.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Not sure I understand the app thing either. If you don't have a smartphone or, if you do, you don't download the app how will anyone know you were close to someone who tests positive, or be able to contact you if you are identified in some other way?

As for facial recognition - is that even legal as a matter of course ? I seem to remember some sort of rumpus a few months back where somewhere wanted to use it but it was deemed illegal.
No one will know, which is why it depends on people who have smartphones downloading the app. But it won’t be compulsory of course.

Personally I’d rather get the app and know, then I can limit the chances of me unknowlingly passing the virus onto someone else and making them seriously ill or even killing them. But everyone will have to make their own choices on that ... if we ever get an app that works.

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
We met up today, for the first time since lockdown started, with the niece who works at B&Q and who had told us back in January of ethnic Chinese in Sheffield stockpiling face masks.

This time she told us that are plenty of customers at B&Q who aren't social distancing when speaking with staff. They ignore the two metre rule.

She looked pretty haggard and says she thinks it's inevitable that sooner or later she'll be infected.

Not a good sign for the effects on infection rates of lockdown easing.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I know some Chinese, and in London in January they were buying face masks snd shipping them to China at high mark-ups, rather than stockpiling them.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
The Chinese will always do what is best for the Chinese and have done for more than 4000 years.
They are not team players and never will be.
Its cultural, that's all. It's a culture that has, on the whole, served them well.
You can admire it or fear it.
Choice is yours.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
We met up today, for the first time since lockdown started, with the niece who works at B&Q and who had told us back in January of ethnic Chinese in Sheffield stockpiling face masks.

This time she told us that are plenty of customers at B&Q who aren't social distancing when speaking with staff. They ignore the two metre rule.

She looked pretty haggard and says she thinks it's inevitable that sooner or later she'll be infected.

Not a good sign for the effects on infection rates of lockdown easing.
My eldest grand daughter ( she's 17) also works at B&Q and also says it's not particularly well organised and people seem to forget social distancing once in store.
It's mainly the older folk, bizarrely.
You'd think they would be more cautious!

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
There is a Sainsbury's just 10 minutes walk from me. I use it almost every day. Last weekend I asked one of the senior supervisors how many people worked there and had anyone had the disease. About 180 and none were the answers.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
There is a Sainsbury's just 10 minutes walk from me. I use it almost every day. Last weekend I asked one of the senior supervisors how many people worked there and had anyone had the disease. About 180 and none were the answers.
Would you have stopped shopping there if that Senior Supervisor had said about 180 and 27 had had the disease ? :unsure:

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
If 27 had died the store would probably have been closed for an investigation. Such a total would be unprecedented given what we know about the chances of anyone catching the disease.

Perhaps some of the members of this forum could conduct their own surveys when they next go out to shop.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
If 27 had died the store would probably have been closed for an investigation. Such a total would be unprecedented given what we know about the chances of anyone catching the disease.

Perhaps some of the members of this forum could conduct their own surveys when they next go out to shop.
Who mentioned died ?

180 and not one had had to self isolate , that's pretty good.

But I would be surprised if anyone in a Senior position would tell you the truth if it were1 , 3 or 27.
None seems to be the correct answer to a question like that.
Pretty difficult to know if you've had the disease without testing.

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
"Dead or just infected?"

Fair cop – careless of me – but the principle holds true. I've been in enough shops, large and small, where people are getting close to one another but so briefly as to be at almost no risk at all. The chances of anyone being infected by the virus in these circumstances are tiny, out of doors even less.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Agreed , but not trying to be too pessimistic we don't know an awful lot about it do we ?

I'm sure there are figures out there that can be twisted by our ''Political Lobbyists'' to show lots of supermarket employees have caught the virus.

I put no credence in figures or that because 2 of the staff in my local Sainsburys are off self isolating of a staff of about 12 does it mean anything ?

Climate Change

Youth Team Star
2 of the staff in my local Sainsburys are off self isolating of a staff of about 12 does it mean anything ?
It means 16.67% of the staff are in self isolation......don't know what happened to the other .33%.Must still be at work.

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
I think that my experience is probably typical. I'd be really interested to hear from other forum members on this.

I think enough is now known about the virus to be able to manage it because we know who the vulnerable are and we now have the capacity.

Look out in the near future for questions about the actual effectiveness of 'social distancing' and whether the virus peaked before those measures could have had any effect i.e. whether or not the threat has gone for good (like SARS and MERS).

TowlawTom

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FBPE United
Are you aware people can carry the virus without showing any symptoms?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks