Do we need three officials in the Premier League?

IAN S

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Well, after last nights fiasco, I ask this other question. What is the point of VAR? I thought the whole point of it was to get the correct decision. If it can't be used to look at a goal when other technology has failed or if the referee can't overrule the failed technology, then is there a need for either. The assistants are now overuled on offsides so why do we need them, use the same dodgy technology when the ball goes out of play. It's two less people potentially carrying the virus as well in these times.

Last night needed a referee with balls to award the goal, sadly Michael Oliver proved that he had none.

If Villa stay up by a point will the relegated club below them sue Hawkeye for compensation? This is the same Villa that screamed blue murder at Leeds and wanted a walk-in goal, no sign of that happening last night but you wouldn't expect that from either Dean Smith or John Terry would you?

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
On the plus side I've learnt a new word - occlusion.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
If Villa avoid relegation by a point, well, they might have anyway. If the goal had stood it would no doubt have been a different game in the second half and could easily have finished 1-1 as Villa pushed for an equaliser.

In other sports like cricket, teams can make a certain number of challenges to official's decisions, which would no doubt have helped Sheffield United here. But I also can't help thinking that such a system might be open to abuse.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
VAR did prove itself, or at least the officials overseeing it, to be inadequate for the task. This season has gone from one VAR controversy to another. I couldn't see why the VAR officials couldn't see and act on the TV replay, if their view from VAR was obstructed, as it was claim.

For the first PL since the PL was suspended I will say that Sheffield United deserved there 1-0 draw..

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
In other sports like cricket, teams can make a certain number of challenges to official's decisions,
Which is fine with sports that are stop/start, like cricket and tennis....

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
In some countries where VAR is used, there are monitors at the side of the pitch and referees will check them if they are unsure about a decision. If the PL had instructed referees to do the same, and the referee actually did his job and didn't let technology make decisions for them, referees are too scared to overrule VAR, the this mistake would have been corrected within a minute of it happening.

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Despite the obvious problems of VAR etc I think we're gradually moving in the right direction. At the top level of the game we've been amazingly slow in making the most of advances in technology.

But it's a work in progress. We're still learning how to make the most of it. Michael Oliver was hung out to dry at Villa Park when the process didn't include reference to VAR in the event of a failure in the goal line technology. He wasn't allowed to award a goal that would have been awarded by any Ref in a Sunday morning amateur game.

With official and unofficial cameras at games everywhere these days the on-field match officials have to work as a team with those off-field to try and come to the right decision. Hopefully, as quickly as possible.

But whether even with 20/20 vision, cameras on every blade of grass and the wisdom of Solomon, match officials would ever be able to satisfy ex-player TV pundits........

Anyway as a Blade I was, of course, happy to see VAR rob Harry Kane of a goal at Bramall Lane the other day. 🙂 Maybe these things do balance out. :unsure:

Personally, the change I'd most like to see is working to off field match time-keeping with the clock stopped for any break in play. In the professional game, particularly in the Premier League in the 21st century, it seems crazy to have the on-field officials looking at their watches.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
The obvious solution to the problems is to do away with all match officials and replace them with Garth Crooks watching all games remotely. After all, he clearly knows best.

(The above may or may not feature sarcasm) .

IAN S

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
The obvious solution to the problems is to do away with all match officials and replace them with Garth Crooks watching all games remotely. After all, he clearly knows best.

(The above may or may not feature sarcasm) .
It might even be classed as racism. Even though he's probably the worst pundit the BBC have ever had.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
Michael Oliver was hung out to dry at Villa Park when the process didn't include reference to VAR in the event of a failure in the goal line technology. He wasn't allowed to award a goal that would have been awarded by any Ref in a Sunday morning amateur game.
Of course he was allowed to award a goal. The Laws of the Game are crystal clear:

Law 5.
"Each match is controlled by a referee who has full authority to enforce the Laws of the Game in connection with the match ....
Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the spirit of the game and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored .... are final."

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Of course he was allowed to award a goal. The Laws of the Game are crystal clear:

Law 5.
"Each match is controlled by a referee who has full authority to enforce the Laws of the Game in connection with the match ....
Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the spirit of the game and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored .... are final."
According to Jose the VAR Referee controls the decisions, so no need for the one in the middle!!!

Bigaitch

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
It might even be classed as racism. Even though he's probably the worst pundit the BBC have ever had.
Why would it be classed as racism ? Race is not mentioned by me....

I wouldn’t say he is the worst, Savage takes that accolade, but I find Crooks references to match officials tiresome...

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United

I wouldn’t say he is the worst, Savage takes that accolade, but I find Crooks references to match officials tiresome...
The king of tiresome references to match officials has to be Alan Green, thankfully not heard so much these days.
Worst pundit? You could start a very long thread on that..........and Savage would be prominent in most posts I suggest.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
The king of tiresome references to match officials has to be Alan Green, thankfully not heard so much these days.
Worst pundit? You could start a very long thread on that..........and Savage would be prominent in most posts I suggest.
Alan Green....the main reason I turn off the radio....I cannot listen to that pollock.
Re Pundits...totally agree....very long list, Savage would be very prominent...

As an aside I would love to see footy on the tv with no pundits at all....none in the studio and none alongside the commentator. Bring it on..

oftenscore6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I've been watching Bundesliga on BT Sport. Martin Keown is awful, Steve McMananaman barely better - at times I have got so fed up with their ill informed drivel, I just muted the commentary. At least Owen Hargreaves knows something about German football, unlike the above.

Their schedulers totally failed to grasp that the biggest games on the final day were the big relegation battle, instead showing a totally dead rubber with Bayern and the 2 teams playing for 4th.

Having watched previous games with pyrotechnics, I don't think any of their commentators have much of a clue about German fan culture.

Almost all British TV commentators (UK games too) seem to have selective memory though, as soon as anyone scores, they rewrite the whole game before then to denigrate the losing side.

IAN S

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}

Because of his colour/ethnicity of course, the loony left are quick to jump on things like that.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
Because of his colour/ethnicity of course, the loony left are quick to jump on things like that.
I never quoted his race....and neither have I quoted mine....

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
"Of course", even though his race or anything about him apart from his name, isn't even mentioned?

Wow.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, The Rangers, Rochdale, QotS.
Surely someone, somewhere will pipe up "You're picking on him because he's black". It's almost as if being Bame makes them untouchable with criticism.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks