FAW Tier 2 and 3 Applicants 2020-21

Nobber

Junior Team Hopeful
Does anyone know when the decision for the new Tiers - and what clubs will be in them - is made?

Grandad

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn United, Cheltenham Pilgrims
According to the recent edition of Welsh Football it's 10 July from memory, though it's likely to leak out before then....

mayo

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Decisions on any appeals will be announced on 8th July, then Tier 3 league constitutions will be announced on the 10th.

Barbie

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Barry Town United
64 clubs in 4 x tier 3 divisions.

Nobber

Junior Team Hopeful
I assume the appeals on 8 July is in relation to ground suitability....?
And the Tier 3 clubs announced on 10 July may lead to some clubs not selected appealing....?

moistureman

Junior Team Hopeful
I assume the appeals on 8 July is in relation to ground suitability....?
And the Tier 3 clubs announced on 10 July may lead to some clubs not selected appealing....?
Best guess. All current tier 3 clubs that have been granted a licence will, naturally, get in. Tier 4 clubs should be allocated a place based on PPG/Region, or not!

Harry West

Junior Team Star
Best guess. All current tier 3 clubs that have been granted a licence will, naturally, get in. Tier 4 clubs should be allocated a place based on PPG/Region, or not!
My understanding is that in both the north and the south clubs will be chosen on playing merit, provided they have the necessary licence. Also this selection process will be confined within both regions so no mid Wales clubs will be sent to the Tier 3 leagues in the south and vice versa. However, that will change in 12 months time so that clubs such as Llandrindod Wells (for example) may be switched to the Tier 3 in the south.
This time around clubs will be selected on merit within both regions. What process will be used is another matter. Presumably PPG will come into this equation?

Grandad

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Remember there is no north/south as such in step 3. Four new divisions. Clubs in central Wales may be placed in the most appropriate league from this season. Will be very interesting to see how it looks once finalised.

Harry West

Junior Team Star
Remember there is no north/south as such in step 3. Four new divisions. Clubs in central Wales may be placed in the most appropriate league from this season. Will be very interesting to see how it looks once finalised.
Sorry but for the first season this is not the case.

Grandad

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
We'll just have to see what the four divisions look like then. You obviously have your source of information, and I have mine.

monmamcymru

Junior Team Hopeful
Where does Harry West think the mid-Wales teams will go then? Would seem illogical not to set up structure as it is meant to carry on.

A lot will depend upon the appeals, but at moment of the existing Tier 3 leagues the WL has most teams approved for Tier 3 with Welsh Alliance the least. At moment there aren't enough existing Tier 3 teams to make up the 4 new leagues but overall there are currently 70+ if take all levels if take into account current Tier 4 and 5 teams.

From the current four Tier 3 leagues we seem to have following approved: WL:15, MWL: 11, WA: 7, WNL: 11. If then add in those from their Tier 4 leagues get: WL; 27, MWL: 17, WA: 11, WNL: 12 plus a number at these levels appealing.

Based on above you are looking at two mainly southern leagues with a few mid-Wales teams and two north/mid wales leagues but will this be allowed to happen or will Tier 4 and 5 teams in the north be promoted over those in the south? As in England it would seem some of those in the middle will move leagues each season.

Surprise is how few qualify from Welsh Allaince as with Welsh League this has been the strongest at this level but seems to many have poor grounds. At least my club excaped to Tier 2 this season.

Harry West

Junior Team Star
Just trying to provide an up-date on what's happening at the start of the new structure. As Grandad says we'll just have to wait and see what actually happens.

In the first season the Divisions One and Two of the Welsh League (South) will provide the teams to the Tier 3 (South) and, if there are any vacancies, they can be filled from leagues such as The South Wales Alliance and the Gwent Premier - there were no applicants from further west at that level i.e. Swansea, Neath, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.

In the first season in the North the teams for Tier 3 (North) will come from the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area), the Welsh Alliance and the Mid Wales League. Any vacancies will be filled by any other teams from this geographical area which are currently playing at a lower level.

However, I wonder what method will be chosen to compare clubs playing at the same level in the various leagues if there are more than the required 32 clubs with the necessary Licence? Any ideas?

In twelve months time the situation will be different with regard to promotion and relegation and there is supposed to be flexibility between the borders of South and North in terms of promotions to Tier 3. Having said that it is difficult to see any southern clubs being willing to be forced into a northern/mid Wales based league so the only real beneficiaries could be a few clubs from the south of the Mid Wales area such as Llandrindod Wells, Brecon Corinthians, maybe Rhayader Town or Aberystwyth district clubs? Would these clubs be strong enough for Tier 3 in the south?

moistureman

Junior Team Hopeful
Just trying to provide an up-date on what's happening at the start of the new structure. As Grandad says we'll just have to wait and see what actually happens.

In the first season the Divisions One and Two of the Welsh League (South) will provide the teams to the Tier 3 (South) and, if there are any vacancies, they can be filled from leagues such as The South Wales Alliance and the Gwent Premier - there were no applicants from further west at that level i.e. Swansea, Neath, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.

In the first season in the North the teams for Tier 3 (North) will come from the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area), the Welsh Alliance and the Mid Wales League. Any vacancies will be filled by any other teams from this geographical area which are currently playing at a lower level.

However, I wonder what method will be chosen to compare clubs playing at the same level in the various leagues if there are more than the required 32 clubs with the necessary Licence? Any ideas?

In twelve months time the situation will be different with regard to promotion and relegation and there is supposed to be flexibility between the borders of South and North in terms of promotions to Tier 3. Having said that it is difficult to see any southern clubs being willing to be forced into a northern/mid Wales based league so the only real beneficiaries could be a few clubs from the south of the Mid Wales area such as Llandrindod Wells, Brecon Corinthians, maybe Rhayader Town or Aberystwyth district clubs? Would these clubs be strong enough for Tier 3 in the south?
The FAW website states that clubs wishing to play at Tier 3 can be placed in any of the 4 divisions, although geography will be considered, to keep clubs as close as possible. It's going to be interesting!

monmamcymru

Junior Team Hopeful
If have two south and two north leagues where do the mid-ones go in first season.

Longer term we will see a lot more soiyjern teams as of the six feeder leagues at Tier 4, three are in the south, one mid and two north so each year six up from the south.

Harry West

Junior Team Star
Until now football in north and mid Wales has been structured differently from the south. This is logical in that geography and poor roads (except along the North Wales coast) has made this the practical option below the Cymru Alliance. This has given three regional leagues with, usually, 16 clubs per division at the equivalent to Tier 3 so 48 at Tier 3 equivalent.

In the south the roads and concentration of population, hence clubs, is mainly within Glamorgan and Monmouthshire (using the old counties) with other clubs to the west in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. The further west you are the further away you are from the concentration of clubs in the south Wales area. The Tier 2, 3 and 4 divisions have been run as one league i.e. the Welsh League (South) and in three Tiers. The top division i.e. Tier 2 is now the Cymru South League. This left two Tiered divisions which were nominally at Tier 3 and 4 in the overall Welsh structure and they are being replaced by the current restructure.

This means that last season there were up to 48 clubs at Tier 3 in the north/mid Wales area but only 16 at Tier 3 in the south area. The restructure is partly aimed at re-dressing the balance so that next season there will be 32 clubs at Tier 3 in the north/mid Wales area and the same number within the south area. The north/mid loses 16 and the south gains 16 in order to balance out the numbers.

Next season, in the north/mid Wales Tier 3 area the clubs will be grouped geographically. I understand that the concept is roughly one division covering the north-west plus the western part of Mid Wales (i.e. west of the Cambrian Mountains) with the other division covering north eastern Wales plus the part of Mid Wales which lies to the east of the Cambrian Mountains.

Next season, in the south two Tier 3 leagues will be made up from clubs in Divisions 1 and 2 of the current Welsh League (south) i.e. apart from those which are being being promoted to Tier 2 or which failed to gain the necessary Licence plus relegated clubs from the Cymru League South plus, if needs be, clubs from the current feeder leagues to the current Welsh League (South). The Tier 3 leagues will be arranged so that one covers the south-eastern and the other the south-western parts of the old Welsh League (South) area which runs east-west from Chepstow to Pembrokeshire.

In 12 months time the boundaries between the all leagues will become flexible according to demand for places and the location of the clubs.

moistureman

Junior Team Hopeful
Until now football in north and mid Wales has been structured differently from the south. This is logical in that geography and poor roads (except along the North Wales coast) has made this the practical option below the Cymru Alliance. This has given three regional leagues with, usually, 16 clubs per division at the equivalent to Tier 3 so 48 at Tier 3 equivalent.

In the south the roads and concentration of population, hence clubs, is mainly within Glamorgan and Monmouthshire (using the old counties) with other clubs to the west in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. The further west you are the further away you are from the concentration of clubs in the south Wales area. The Tier 2, 3 and 4 divisions have been run as one league i.e. the Welsh League (South) and in three Tiers. The top division i.e. Tier 2 is now the Cymru South League. This left two Tiered divisions which were nominally at Tier 3 and 4 in the overall Welsh structure and they are being replaced by the current restructure.

This means that last season there were up to 48 clubs at Tier 3 in the north/mid Wales area but only 16 at Tier 3 in the south area. The restructure is partly aimed at re-dressing the balance so that next season there will be 32 clubs at Tier 3 in the north/mid Wales area and the same number within the south area. The north/mid loses 16 and the south gains 16 in order to balance out the numbers.

Next season, in the north/mid Wales Tier 3 area the clubs will be grouped geographically. I understand that the concept is roughly one division covering the north-west plus the western part of Mid Wales (i.e. west of the Cambrian Mountains) with the other division covering north eastern Wales plus the part of Mid Wales which lies to the east of the Cambrian Mountains.

Next season, in the south two Tier 3 leagues will be made up from clubs in Divisions 1 and 2 of the current Welsh League (south) i.e. apart from those which are being being promoted to Tier 2 or which failed to gain the necessary Licence plus relegated clubs from the Cymru League South plus, if needs be, clubs from the current feeder leagues to the current Welsh League (South). The Tier 3 leagues will be arranged so that one covers the south-eastern and the other the south-western parts of the old Welsh League (South) area which runs east-west from Chepstow to Pembrokeshire.

In 12 months time the boundaries between the all leagues will become flexible according to demand for places and the location of the clubs.
Therefore 2 of Abertillery Bluebirds, Panteg and Ynyshir Albion's will need to succeed in their appeals to create 2 purely South Wales Divisions. A lot of disappointed sides mid and north, whose sporting merit, could be considered better?

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks