Football Grounds in TV programmes

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
There was a thread on the old forum about football grounds in TV progs but I don't think the one in this episode of Yes Minister from 1982 was included.

The footage starts at 00'40" and lasts about 20 seconds. The ground is supposed to be in the West Midlands, but the advert for Truman Beers suggests it is more likely a London/SE ground. Any ideas ?

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Fulham.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Looks like Craven Cottage to me.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
I remember the thread on the old forum, although searching for it would be difficult. There was a discussion over exactly which Fulham home match it was and when it was played.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
Despite it's vintage quite topical, with a club about to go bust and they've each got a match programme.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Here's a clip of the Minder episode 'All About Scoring, Innit?' (Series 2, episode 12), starring that professional cheeky-chappy Karl Howman...

Minder

Terry goes to watch Chelsea at Stamford Bridge (his excuse being "Fulham are away"), and the episode then shows lengthy footage of Dennis Waterman in and around the ground during Chelsea 1-1 Preston North End, which took place on Saturday 20th September 1980.

Considering how false and set-up most tv dramas appear when staged in football grounds, the scenes here are done really well.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Next Goal Wins, the 2014 film about the American Samoa national team, is being shown on Sky Documentaries tonight, 10:45pm.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Just seen an interesting film called 'Cup Fever' (1965) on the London Live channel which is on Freeview.
Although this channel usually prefers to show films that were set in London, this one is an exception as it is set in Manchester. There is very substantial footage of Altrincham's ground when it stages a (fictional) youth cup final, plus Old Trafford when the United Road cantilever stand was under construction. It might be repeated on the same channel in the near future.

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
Just seen an interesting film called 'Cup Fever' (1965) on the London Live channel which is on Freeview.
Although this channel usually prefers to show films that were set in London, this one is an exception as it is set in Manchester. There is very substantial footage of Altrincham's ground when it stages a (fictional) youth cup final, plus Old Trafford when the United Road cantilever stand was under construction. It might be repeated on the same channel in the near future.
Thanks for that. There is a similar channel based in Manchester, so I hope it will be shown on there too.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Thanks, Hoddy. That will be am easier way to find it, then!
I'm sure SteveB or you will tell us the pitch used in the opening shots.SB will have been for a Sunday league game?

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
Not me, unfortunately. I am guessing it may be in Salford from its surroundings, or possibly Eccles from your clue?
Good to see Moss Lane nine years earlier than my first visit. The outside of the ground seems to have changed least in that time.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Not me, unfortunately. I am guessing it may be in Salford from its surroundings, or possibly Eccles from your clue?
Good to see Moss Lane nine years earlier than my first visit. The outside of the ground seems to have changed least in that time.
Shant mention the score of my tick in November 68. Hadn't changed much from programme.

EDIT. Couldn't stop myself, a Wayne Emerson diving header from a Tommy Lowry cross. 0-1.
7,000 I have down?

Last edited:

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Much of the film was indeed shot in Salford, judging by the fact that in one scene there is a clear view of a street called 'Kirkman Avenue' which is a real road.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Could've provided a link.

FFS I normally do but I'm on a feckin mobile and not able to do links off a phone.

If you see my post on Alan Wiggins map thread recently you will see just that. Then you could be of help instead of sniping. Get a life.

Because I / people can't give a link you don't want anyone to post. Jeez.

I'm not making that 8comment every post I make just to satisfy people like you.

If it was a light hearted comment by you please say so but knowing your posts I doubt it.

Last edited:

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Here's a clip of the Minder episode 'All About Scoring, Innit?' (Series 2, episode 12), starring that professional cheeky-chappy Karl Howman...

Terry goes to watch Chelsea at Stamford Bridge (his excuse being "Fulham are away"), and the episode then shows lengthy footage of Dennis Waterman in and around the ground during Chelsea 1-1 Preston North End, which took place on Saturday 20th September 1980.
Terry must have been confused or something because Fulham were at home to Walsall on that date.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks