leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Unfortunately not. I wanted to identify it

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
Where did you see it? Is there any clue to it in its location?

I'm sure no one needs instruction on the lion and the unicorn.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I'm in Normandy.
On the shield, there appears to be two lions in the lower right quadrant, so Normandy probably comes into the equation. Not so certain about the Unicorn as it does not have a crown, so the Lion and Unicorn may not equal England and Scotland

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
Two lions feature frequently in Normandy heraldic devices (and early English) but what are the other symbols? An anchor, top right?

Are you just testing us or do you not know?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
2 Lions are the emblem of the Duke of Normandy and also appear on the crest of Sark.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
An anchor top right, what I think are two more lions, but facing the other way (top left) and four of something I cannot identify (bottom left).

I do not know what it signifies, but would think something from Normandy. No Fleur de Lys,

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
1593628778122.png

Apparently not!

pitch 63

Junior Team Regular
I have seen that, but that is the last heraldic badge adopted during the latter years of the English rule before the invasion from the Spanish Netherlands.

Another option may be Brittany, under which Calais was administered for several centuries, in which case Brest-Roscoff and Nantes come into the equation. I was made a freeman of the former in the 1980s when I helped start footballing links between Brest-Roscoff and various southern UK ports, but my contacts are long since gone - the links lasted about 10 years only when both of my fellow UK organisers passed on.

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
The shield looks as though it has been imposed upon another device, perhaps a scroll with a motto – are those letters partially hidden?

Next stop: The College of Arms.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks