July 1st

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Its a good day for changing sovereignty, On the 1st July
1885: The Congo Free State (which was certainly not free) was established by the King of Belgium
1960: Somalia becomes independent
1960: Ghana becomes a republic, (The Queen stopped being head of state)
1962: Rwanda and Burundi become independent
1967: The European Community formerly comes into being
1990: The Deutschmark becomes the official currency of East Germany, merging the two economies
1991: The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved
1997: China takes control of Hong Kong
1999: The Scottish Parliament opens, taking over devolved power from the Scottish Office and the Welsh Assembly also takes its power
2013: Croatia becomes the 28th member of the EU.

But of all this pales into insignificance.
1945: Debbie Harry is born.
Picture that

1593540527290.png

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Lovely girl is our Ange X.

Saturday @ 18-00.
Ton Pentre, Wales v Heerenveen, Holland official programme 01/07 ...

UEFA. Inter Toto Cup Group 4.
Ton Pentre 0 v 7 Heerenveen.

@ Cardiff Arms Park.
Ton Pentre, Wales v Heerenveen, Holland official programme 01/07 ...--Cardiff Arms Park | Cardiff Blues

Ton Pentre - Marty Ellacott , James Blackie , Paul Clements , Mark Davies , Brian Gullett , Brian Gibson , Kevin Richards , Anthony Thomas , Brett Davey , Paul Evans , Richard Haig.
Subs - Andy Hedditch for Davies , Jason Watkins for Gullett.
Manager - Stefan Rush.

Heerenveen documentary. Game highlights begin at 16' 30'' to 20' 00''. Town Crier to be seen at 14' 40'' ( I think). Worth watching it all , nice interviews at their own ground with the club rabbit on show.

Heerenveen - Carlo L'Ami , Michael Doesburg , Johan Hansma (2) , Tom Sier , Pieter Bijl , Wilco Hellinga , Alex Pastoor , Erik Regtop (2) , Marco Roelofsen , Jan de Visser , Jon Dahl Tomasson (1).
Subs - Melchoir Schoenmakers for Doesburg , Erik Tammer (2) for Hellinga , Romeo Wouden for Bijl.
Manager - Foppe de Haan.

Referee - Stephen Lodge (Barnsley).

Final Group 4 placings. (1 x qualify).
SC Heerenveen 4 3 0 1 13- 2 9
UD Leiria 4 2 2 0 7- 3 8
Næstved IF 4 1 2 1 7- 6 5
Bekescsabai EFC 4 1 2 1 9- 9 5
Ton Pentre FC 4 0 0 4 0-16 0'
Ta RSSSF.

17 x games (10+ 67Summer) , 2 x 0-0's, 1 x double Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock(14 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1977 L A Aztecs 4 v 1 N Y Cosmos.
1978 Cleveland Cobras 0 v 2 N Y Apollo.
2001 Tromso 0 v 3 Lillestrom.
2012 Jelgava 3 v 2 Spartaks.
2017 Montral Impact 2 v 0 D C Uunited.
2018 Toronto Metros 0 v 1 N Y Red Bull.

--1997. Tung Chee-hwa.--------------------1916--First 'Battle of the Somme'---------------------------Hong Kong handover.
Tung Chee Hwa (Feb 2011).jpg
The_Battle_of_the_Somme_film_image1

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Same day and same competition as above but a different game:

Saturday July 1st 1995
Intertoto Cup Group Game
Partick Thistle v IB Keflavik. 3-1, H.T. 0-1, Att 3182 (official), more like 5000
At Firhill Stadium

Partick’s long-suffering fans were dealt a winning hand when they appeared in the Intertoto Cup for the one and only time. The way their group was structured gave them home games against Keflavik and Zagreb but attractive-looking away trips to Metz and Linz.

It had taken the SFA a long-time to embrace the Intertoto Cup. Now, under pressure from UEFA, they had accepted a place. Their next problem was finding a club willing to play in it. Eventually after “thanks but no thanks” messages from Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Hearts, 9th placed Partick Thistle took up the challenge.

The Jags had only been in Europe twice previously. The most recent was in 1972 following their League Cup win but they were papped out at the first hurdle by Honved. Their previous incursion in the 60s saw them go down to Spartak Brno.

They had earned a creditable draw in Linz in the first match and victory over the Icelanders at Firhill would put them in a good position. A very decent crowd boosted by loads of neutrals, turned up. It was clearly a bigger crowd than expected with long queues at the gates as only parts of the ground were open. Eventually further areas had to be unlocked. The official crowd of 3182 is suspiciously low – I thought 5000 at least. I think those entering the parts of the ground that were meant to be shut either didn’t pay or just handed cash to a steward rather than going through the turnstiles. They saw the following teams:

Thistle: Nicky Walker, Alan Dinnie, Steve Pittman, Gregg Watson, Steven Welsh, Derek McWilliams, Rod MacDonald, Albert Craig, Roddy Grant, Tom Smith and Wayne Foster. Subbies Steven Docherty, Andy Gibson and Callum Milne
Keflavik: Ollie Gottskallson, Bjorgvinsson, Steinarsson, Gudbarndsson, Sigurdsson, Finnbbogasson, Haukson, Tanasic, Margeirsson, Einarsson, Gudmundsson. Subs Magnusson and Sverrison.

Thistle’s side comprised a fine selection of journeyman players – Roddy Grant and Albert Craig being real stalwarts of this level. Goalie Nicky Walker was ex Rangers and off the renowned Walkers of Aberlour Shortbread company. Keflavik’s keeper Gottskallson had a spell with Hibs – one in a long line of dodgy foreign keepers to enrage the Easter Road fans. The game was too early in the season for Thistle's new strips to have turned up. Instead they had taped over the advertising and manufacturers logo on their old ones. They are nothing if not professional at Firhill!

It didn’t start well for Thistle. They were a goal down at half time thanks to Keflavik’s Yugoslav striker Tanasic scoring in the 21st minute. Actually the Jags had dominated the first fifteen minutes but then allowed Keflavik to control the midfield and they paid the price.

A John Lambie half time team talk did the business and Thistle came out looking sharper and quicker. Albert Craig equalised and a Tom Craig double secured a 3-1 win. However, it could have been different if Keflavik hadn’t scorned an incredible chance just after the break. With an empty net to shoot into a Keflavik forward elected to pass to a co0lleague who was in an offside position and the goal was disallowed.

Partick keflavik.jpg

Keflavik looking horribly like Rangers in that strip
Partick keflavik photo.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
The start of a new football season for the majority of people, I think. Some sports were mid season though.

1996 Stones Bitter Super League I Halifax Blue Sox v Warrington Wolves Lost 25-18

2000 Tetleys Bitter Super League v Warrington Wolves v Halifax Blue Sox Won 34-12

2001 Total Rugby League.Com Summer Conference Chester Wolves v West London Sharks 38-16
At Chester RUFC. Programme produced.

2003 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Llandyrnog Lost 2-3

2005 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llangynhafl v Henllan Drew 6-6

My record score for a drawn game. It was a hell of a game. Henllan went 3-0 & 4-1 up, then it was 4-4. Henllan then led for the last time before getting a last-minute equaliser.

2008 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Ysceifiog v Llanrhaeadr 4-0

2012 Hattons Solicitors National Conference Premier Wigan St. Patrick's v Hull Dockers (T310) 60-22

A tightly enclosed railed ground but no cover. A decent programme came with admission. Andy Gregory, former Wigan, Widnes & Warrington player turned up part way through the game. I think he was bought more than a few pints.

2016 Tony Evans Memorial Shield First Round Llanrhaeadr v Henllan (played @ Henllan) Won 2-7

BetFred Super League XXII Round 21 Warrington Wolves v Leigh Centurions Won 50-10

2018 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Premier Division
Hunslet Club Parkside v Wath Brow Hornets 24-6

A roasting hot day on a bone hard pitch but a well contested game throughout. Just a railed pitch and some distance away from the club but there was a decent turnout. Refreshments were available pitch side and most welcome. There was a programme with admission. HCP were on a 100% record and I think they may have stayed that way throughout their league campaign.

mxhornet

Junior Team Regular
No rugby league again but as usual several races to list

1976 Barking Schools Championships - Mayesbrook Arena 1500 metres 4-47.1 3rd

1979 Lambeth Festival Of Road Races - Brockwell Park Under 17 5k 16-27 2nd

2001 East Anglian League - Chelmsford 800 metres 2-26.7 13th and 3000 metres 9-52.1 7th

2007 Eastern Veterans 10k - Comberton 41-37 13th

2017 Catton parkrun (196) 23-49 84th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have only ever seen one game on July 1st, so not surprisingly it is the one I will mention here, and is also the choice for pictures as tweet of the day

This was the third match in my 2010 American tour. I was still in Canada, having been to Montreal on the day before. I was at BMO Field in Toronto. The name BMO field refers to the title sponsor, the Bank of Montreal, which has held the naming rights since the stadium was opened in 2007. Other names have been used in competitions where the sponsor's name is not permitted. It has been the National Soccer Stadium for FIFA events, while it has been the Exhibition Stadium for Rugby 7s and (Ice-)Hockey

Since my visit, the stadium has been changed, with the length of the field increased to allow Canadian Football* to be played, meaning the end stands were demolished and rebuilt. I think the open seating opposite where I sat has now been covered.

I do not remember much of the match, but it was a Red Card day with both Toronto FC and visitors Houston Dynamos losing a player for a fight after 63 minutes, and with the score still 0-0. This maybe freed up some space on the field, and at least we got some goals, with Houston going ahead on 64 minutes, but holding it for just 8 minutes before the equaliser.

1-1 was the final score, with 21,374 watching. I got in on a comp, but paid C$5* for the programme.

*Canadian Football is a bit like American football, except it is played in Canada (don't correct me, I am uneducated about these things). Canadian Dollars are a bit like US dollars, but used in Canada (and they feature the Queen's head, instead of a long dead president).

Ricardo

Junior Team Regular
1993 Argentina 0 Colombia 0(Argentina win 6-5 on pens)
Copa America 93 semi final crowd 15,000
Estadio Monumental, Guayaquil, Ecuador

The previous evening in the other semi final the hosts Ecuador had gone out losing 2-0 to Mexico in the capital Quito so the winners were in a good position to watch the second game and had a day’s extra rest before the final. A few more Argentine fans had turned up(see some of the nuttier element in the picture)but it was still a bit of a disappointing crowd for a semi final.
Another tactical game with neither side prepared to show their hand ensued, and half time came and went with no goals to reward the crowd’s patience. The second half was a bit better but still no goals, the only good thing was there was no extra time so we went straight to penalties. Following the same pattern as before the Argentina team showed more mental strength to win, scoring 6 penalties without a single miss whereas the Colombians eventually cracked and Aristizabal missed his penalty to send Argentina through to the final.0950DE46-CA72-453B-B26E-00938C2907A4.jpeg

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Super League. @ Twickenham Stoop.
Harlequins RL 24 Wigan Warriors 26.
Adm. £12.
Att. 4,115.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Is putting Debbie Harry on here a good idea? She's old enough to be the mother of many of the posters on here.
Isn't that ageist? What is wrong with having a 75th birthday. It is my ambition to have one myself one day

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Chris1963

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Isn't that ageist? What is wrong with having a 75th birthday. It is my ambition to have one myself one day
Yes, nothing wrong with that, it's just that you shouldn't be encouraging posters to lust after a woman old enough to be their mother.

hantslondoner

Youth Team Sub
Yes, nothing wrong with that, it's just that you shouldn't be encouraging posters to lust after a woman old enough to be their mother.
She doesn't look old enough to be the mother of quite a few of the posters here (I'd assume) in the photo at the top.
So are you saying that when a woman reaches a certain age, you should stop publishing photos of when she was younger?
I'd guess that if anyone is lusting, they're lusting after the 40-year old in the photo, and not the 75-year old as she is today (I may be wrong, of course). And IMO she is quite an attractive 75-year old.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Six games on this date. Two were my final games of the season, four were my first games of the season.

1996 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 1: Brockholes 2 Grimsargh 1 (att 22)
I began my 1996/7 season less than 24 hours after ending 1995/6 at Wembley. Brockholes (who may or may not have been related to a later summer league team called Brockholes Arms) played at Catterall Playing Fields in Garstang. The ground has been home to various Catforth League teams.

1362.jpg

1999 Llandyrnog & District Summer Lge: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd 4 Ysceifiog 1 (30)
This Thursday evening fixture was my final game of 1998/9. I began a new season the following midweek. Llanfair DC subsequently moved from this pitch. I have no address written down beyond the village name, and I've been unable to pinpoint the location on Google Maps. The large farm buildings look distinctive though, so perhaps someone (Wiretown.editor maybe) can solve the mystery?

1805.jpg

2000 Derbyshire Summer Lge, Bill Redfern Memorial Cup Final: Osmaston 3 Wheel Inn 2 (100)
On a Saturday evening at Osmaston Polo Ground, which often stages Summer League cup finals and is also home to finalists Osmaston. A programme was issued for this, I think by the league rather than the club.

1949.jpg

2006 FIFA World Cup, QF: England 0 Portugal 0 aet 1-3 on pens (52,000) at FC Schalke 04
Not for the first time my season ended with England going out of a major tournament. I'd been unable to get a flight to Germany, so was on a supporters coach which left from East Midlands Airport. The journey back seemed to last forever. I'd already decided to quit travelling to England away games after the World Cup, and so this remains the last time I saw England play abroad.

2786.jpg

2012 Stan Brewster Memorial Tournament, Gp A: Codnor Miners 4 Ripley Town 2 (56)
This cup provided semi-competitive pre-season football for a few years. This game should have been at the Derbyshire Police sports ground, but rabbits had damaged the pitches there so Codnor Miners hosted it at their ground in oddly-named Denby Bottles. Codnor were in the Matlock and District League, but both league and (I assume) club have since folded.

3769.jpg

2017 Friendly: Wythenshawe Amateurs 6 Vulcan 1 (17) at Blessed Thomas Halford Sports Academy, Altrincham
An underwhelming PSF played on a 3G that Altrincham Hale FC subsequently moved into.

4549.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Got the wrong date before but edit is not possible

This was the 1st July list

1996 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Llanrhaeadr Lost 3-9

1999 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llandyrnog

2000 Rugby League Summer Conference (@ Chester RUFC) Chester Wolves v Rotherhams Giants 30-38

2001 Tetleys Bitter Super League VI Warrington Wolves v Halifax Blue Sox Won 34-22

2004 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd Won 2-1

2010 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd v Cefn 0-5

2013 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Clawddnewydd Won 2-1

2017 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three Stanley Rangers v Rylands Sharks 20-26

Stanley dropped down at the end of this season. A railed pitch and a prog was issued

2019 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Rhewl v Henllan Won 1-3

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Six games on this date. Two were my final games of the season, four were my first games of the season.

1999 Llandyrnog & District Summer Lge: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd 4 Ysceifiog 1 (30)
This Thursday evening fixture was my final game of 1998/9. I began a new season the following midweek. Llanfair DC subsequently moved from this pitch. I have no address written down beyond the village name, and I've been unable to pinpoint the location on Google Maps. The large farm buildings look distinctive though, so perhaps someone (Wiretown.editor maybe) can solve the mystery?

View attachment 2749
The buildings are from the agricultural college at Llysfasi (Coleg Cambria). The pitch was just across the road by A525/B5429 junction, diagonally opposite from the college. It is about 2-3 miles south of Llanfair DC. It was a rugby pitch the last time I went past, which was a few years ago now. It still is on Google Street View.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
The buildings are from the agricultural college at Llysfasi (Coleg Cambria). The pitch was just across the road by A525/B5429 junction, diagonally opposite from the college. It is about 2-3 miles south of Llanfair DC. It was a rugby pitch the last time I went past, which was a few years ago now. It still is on Google Street View.
Brilliant ... thank you.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
It may depend on whether he is old enough to be your father?

So, by Chris' theory - there should be an upper limit on the age of people we lust after, maybe 25 years older than ouselves, (which leaves Debbie Harry within my bracket). Is the lower age also related to one's own age, or is it just the age of consent? Are the age brackets different for male or female?

And does it matter anyway, as in the unlikely event of my ever meeting Ms. Harry, I suspect there would not be any mutual lust.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks