July 3rd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1938, the World Speed Record for a steam locomotive was set, with Mallard reaching 125.88 miles per hour

1593721663884.png

Going back further, in 1886, Karl Benz unveiled to Benz Patent-Motorwagen, the first automobile

1593721814967.png

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Wednesday @ 17-00.
Indonesia Championship Play/Offs . Semi Final Stage.
Persita Tangerang 2 v 0 PS Makassar.

@ Gelora Bung Karno Stadium , Jakarta.
40,000. (Plenty of other alternative attendances).

Arrived with Spanner from Singapore at around midday , I had pre booked at the 'Century Park' hotel in Jakarta with Airport Transfer included. I had booked this hotel as it overlooked the Stadium where our games were being played at and it got us a free lift the 15 miles from airport . Settled into room by about 13-30 and chilled for an hour plus.

Kick off was 17-00 so we were soon out and about , arrived ticketless at ground about 15-00 not knowing what to expect , we wandered round to the main entrance where a man in a suit ( FA Style) approached us and asked in perfect English what we were looking for . Thinking on feet I said the Press Area , he said it was just inside the main entrance and asked had we sorted tickets out , not yet we replied.

He then pulled a wad of tickets out of his pocket and gave us one each and then said are you here tomorrow for the second semi final ? Yes we replied and the same thing happened , he then said he didn't have the Final (Sunday) tickets yet but to see him before the game and he would sort it out .It turned out he was the Press/Public Relations man for the league , dropped lucky there , it saved us both about a £1 , But at least we had decent seats and pre match food and drink .
We didn't mention we'd be on our way home when the Final would be taking place.

We thanked him and headed in an hour before kick off , it was quite busy even then with the PT fans making al lot of noise.

We went to take up our position about 30 mins before kick off and it was rocking , not full but it was loud , the 'Cissdane Warriors' (PT) making most of the noise. Not surprising really they've only had to come 16 miles whereas the 'Red Fish' (PSM) have travelled nearly a 1,000 miles from on Sulawese Island.

It had been a long journey to get here for both clubs gamewise , there were 2 Premier Divisions ( East / West) in 2002 and the top 4 in each qualify for the second stage ( 2 groups of 4) with top 2 qualifying for Semi Final Stage.
Both teams we were watching in the first semi final had finished in 4th position of the regular season , Persita in the West and PSM in the East.
Persita then won Group A at the second stage and PSM were Second in Group B.
So 1 v 2 in each semi final. Simples.

The atmosphere was good the football not so , PT were first to show and Captain / Cameroon International Olinga Atangana put them ahead on 20 minutes. it stayed like that till on the hour when Ilham Jayakesuma scored the second and that was enough to make the final on Sunday against Petrokimia , Petrokimia Putra winning that 2-1 AET before 50,000.

Me and Span ( or Span and I for my southern readers ) went to the other Semi the next day Thursday for Seman 1 v 1 Petrokimia AET. (Petro' 3-2 on pens). That was a cracker.
Then back to Singapore for Armed Forces 6 v 1 Sengang on the Friday night then flight home on the Saturday , not a cross word in 11 days Leo 🤔.

11 x games (6+ 5 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's. Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock(9 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1977 Sacramento Spirit 2 v 1 N Y Apollo.
1979 Columbus Magic 0 v 2 New Jersey.
1999 Lokeren 3 v 1 IA Akranes.
2018 Houston Dynamo 2 v 2 Los Angeles FC.
2019 Sporting Kansas 1 v 5 Los Angeles FC.

--1988---USS Vincennes shoots down IA 655-----------------1962------ Independence---------
USS Vincennes returns to San Diego Oct 1988.jpg--
Flag of Algeria - Wikipedia

Last edited:

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
Rugby league

2004 South Norfolk Saints - 32 North London Skolars - 20 @ Mundford Road (Thetford RFC)

2010 Bedford Tigers - 22 Bury Titans - 20 @ Putnoe Woods (Bedford Athletic RUFC)

Running

1977 Young Athletes League - Rochester 1500 metres 4-31.8 5th

2002 Eastern Veterans League - Bury St Edmunds 1500 metres 4-43.8 2nd

2005 Eastern Veterans 10k - Comberton 42-27 ??

2010 (0900) Cambridge parkrun 20-58 34th
(1100) Fetcheveryone Cambridge Mile 6-05 6th
(1200) Fetcheveryone Cambridge 1000 metres 3-42 3rd

2019 Wroxham 5k (race three) 22-18 353rd

DJM61

Junior Team Starter

Wednesday @ 17-00.
Indonesia Championship Play/Offs . Semi Final Stage.
Persita Tangerang 2 v 0 PS Makassar.

@ Gelora Bung Karno Stadium , Jakarta.
40,000. (Plenty of other alternative attendances).

Arrived with Spanner from Singapore at around midday , I had pre booked at the 'Century Park' hotel in Jakarta with Airport Transfer included. I had booked this hotel as it overlooked the Stadium where our games were being played at and it got us a free lift the 15 miles from airport . Settled into room by about 13-30 and chilled for an hour plus.

Kick off was 17-00 so we were soon out and about , arrived ticketless at ground about 15-00 not knowing what to expect , we wandered round to the main entrance where a man in a suit ( FA Style) approached us and asked in perfect English what we were looking for . Thinking on feet I said the Press Area , he said it was just inside the main entrance and asked had we sorted tickets out , not yet we replied.

He then pulled a wad of tickets out of his pocket and gave us one each and then said are you here tomorrow for the second semi final ? Yes we replied and the same thing happened , he then said he didn't have the Final (Sunday) tickets yet but to see him before the game and he would sort it out .It turned out he was the Press/Public Relations man for the league , dropped lucky there , it saved us both about a £1 , But at least we had decent seats and pre match food and drink .
We didn't mention we'd be on our way home when the Final would be taking place.

We thanked him and headed in an hour before kick off , it was quite busy even then with the PT fans making al lot of noise.

We went to take up our position about 30 mins before kick off and it was rocking , not full but it was loud , the 'Cissdane Warriors' (PT) making most of the noise. Not surprising really they've only had to come 16 miles whereas the 'Red Fish' (PSM) have travelled nearly a 1,000 miles from on Sulawese Island.

It had been a long journey to get here for both clubs gamewise , there were 2 Premier Divisions ( East / West) in 2002 and the top 4 in each qualify for the second stage ( 2 groups of 4) with top 2 qualifying for Semi Final Stage.
Both teams we were watching in the first semi final had finished in 4th position of the regular season , Persita in the West and PSM in the East.
Persita then won Group A at the second stage and PSM were Second in Group B.
So 1 v 2 in each semi final. Simples.

The atmosphere was good the football not so , PT were first to show and Captain / Cameroon International Olinga Atangana put them ahead on 20 minutes. it stayed like that till on the hour when Ilham Jayakesuma scored the second and that was enough to make the final on Sunday against Petrokimia , Petrokimia Putra winning that 2-1 AET before 50,000.

Me and Span ( or Span and I for my southern readers ) went to the other Semi the next day Thursday for Seman 1 v 1 Petrokimia AET. (Petro' 3-2 on pens). That was a cracker.
Then back to Singapore for Armed Forces 6 v 1 Sengang on the Friday night then flight home on the Saturday , not a cross word in 11 days Leo 🤔.

11 x games (6+ 5 Summer) , 0 x 0-0's. Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock(9 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1977 Sacramento Spirit 2 v 1 N Y Apollo.
1979 Columbus Magic 0 v 2 New Jersey.
1993 Lokeren 3 v IA Akranes.
2018 Houston Dynamo 2 v 2 Los Angeles FC.

--1988---USS Vincennes shoots down IA 655-----------------1962------ Independence---------
USS Vincennes returns to San Diego Oct 1988.jpg--
Flag of Algeria - Wikipedia
World Cup
Semi-Final
Argentina 1 Italy 1 (a.e.t.)
Argentina won 4-3 on pens
Att 59,978
After England game against Cameroon got offered tickets for the England Semifinal so stayed
Went to the SanPaolo Stadium got a ticket of a tout
Great game Atmosphere amazing the noise when the pens were being taken was deafening didn’t care who won

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday July 2rd 2004
Intertoto Cup
Hibernian v Vetra Vilnius, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 8630
At Easter Road

Had it not been for the logistics of rearranging the game, this would have bene postponed. A pre-match downpour left the Easter Road pitch palpably unplayable but there was little option but for the game to go ahead. Despite the conditions a crowd of nearly 9000 turned out at Easter Road to see Tony Mowbray’s side.

Vilnius had flown into the South of England somewhere and then travelled north overnight in a glorified minibus in order to save money. However, their apparent off-field poverty was not reflected on the field where they looked quite a decent outfit.

Mind you, Hibs were architects of their own downfall having resumed training only three days before the game. They were well off the pace and demonstrated all-round slackness. Vetra were tewn games into their season and had played two Intertoto matches in the previous round beating their Estonian opponents home and away.

Hibernian: Alistair Brown, Whittaker, Alan Reid, Caldwell, Murdock, Nicol, McManus, Brebner, O'Connor, Scott Brown, Orman.
Subs: Andrew Reid, Smith, Glass, Morrow, Dobbie, Shields, McDonald.

Vetra Vilnius: Poskus, Grudzinskas, Sasnauskas, Raliukonis, Zudys, Rimkus, Butrimavicius, Sernas, Vaineikis, Vasiliauskas, Karvelis.
Subs: Merkelis, Kijanskas, Litvinas, Stonkus, Douglas, Mizigurskis.

Hibs were missing half a dozen first team players through injury so their team included a few names that were unfamiliar. Kevin Nicol and Alan Reid never featured much for the first team.

The visitors took the lead just after the hour mark when Sasnauskas stabbed the ball home in a goalmouth scramble. Hibs equalised with ten minutes left when Gary O’Connor hit a low shot into the corner of the net to save Hibs blushes.

Vetra won the second leg 1-0 to go through 2-1 on aggregate. They lost to Esbjerg in Round Three.

The club were expelled from the Lithuanian FA in 2010 for financial issues and were wound up.

Hibs v Vetra 2.jpgHibs v Vetra.jpgHibs vetra prog.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1995 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Llandyrnog Lost 0-4

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llandyrnog v Trefnant 0-2

2000 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Llangynhafl v Clawddnewydd 0-1

2003 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd v Henllan Lost 1-0

2004 Total RL.com Summer Conference North West Division
Chester Wolves v Blackpool Sea Eagles T25 72-10

2005 Engage Super League Round 19 Widnes Vikings v Warrington Wolves Won 24-25

2006 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Rhewl v Henllan Lost 2-0

2008 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd 3-1

2014 Tony Evans Memorial Shield First Round Cefn v Henllan Lost 2-0

2017 Tony Evans Memorial Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 7-1

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Super League.
Wigan Warriors 40 Harlequins RL 12.
Adm £18.
Att. 14,977.

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
I use the June 30/July 1 cut-off point for my seasons, unless it's 5/6/7 a side competitions (which don't get mentioned here). This is the earliest start I've had.

2005 - Colehill Sports v James & James - referee. PSF played at Hamworthy Marine Camp, bit of security getting in/out. Colehill Sports were a long established Dorset Sunday League side, now folded (both league and club), James & James are a long established Bournemouth Sunday League side.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
After yesterday's nil return just the two today, and one a revisit ...

1993 Island Games, Gp B: Isle of Wight 1 Isle of Man 0 (att 2,500) at Newport (IoW) FC
The Isle of Wight in 1993 was my first and so far only experience of Island Games football. I was there for just the weekend and stuck to a couple of revisits, beginning with this game on the Saturday night. Can't remember much about the game, but the only goal was in the first half. Not sure if the crowd my was estimate or if it came from a more official source. Wikipedia says this game was on 4 July ... as is often the case Wikipedia is wrong (I guess I could correct it).
ig1.jpg

ig2.jpg

2016 Eccles Sunday Lge, Margaret Piggott Memorial Cup, 2nd rnd: FCC Stars 4 De La Salle Reds 3 (25)
A Sunday morning on a 3G at Ordsall Park in Salford.

4422.jpg

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The 2009 season kicked off on 3 July, with a friendly between Bishop's Cleeve and Cheltenham Town, my sixth and most recent visit to the ground.

A year later, the season had reached game 5, and it was back to the MLS. Now one can ask, "Do you know the way to San Jose" - and while a simple "Yes" will suffice, the way is somewhat complex.

I started in London (Canada), not leaving before 22.30 at least as the game was a 20.40 kick off. I then stopped somewhere on the way, not reaching the USA border until sometime in the small hours. The border point was Detroit, and if I remember correctly, it was from here that I was due to fly out sometime that morning.

The crossing should have been uneventful, but one has to get out of the car, and wait in queue as customs give the third degree to a Canadian family of Asian heritage, (Sikh, judging by headware). After a long wait, I am told that I need to fill in a form, so I take the form and fill it in, waiting again as the family originally before me are now being given the second degree by the officials. This time, they look at my form, look at the stamp in my passport from Chicago a few days back, bin the form as I don't need to fill it in and let me through.

So I get the flight to San Jose, arriving while one of the days World Cup games is in progress. I would guess this was Argentina v Germany. I spotted a bar while still airside, serving a local craft beer and with the TV showing the game. I ordered a drink, and needed to show ID to prove I was over 21. The previous occasion I was asked about age when drinking was in 1976. Fortunately, I did have my passport with me - and I was forewarned that I would need it again whilst in California. During the afternoon, I picked up my hire car and made the short trip to the other side of the airport where both my hotel and the stadium were situated.

The stadium does not have a lot to commend it. One major stand (with me in it), open seating opposite and behind one goal. Some pictures published on my tweet of the day thread. 10,304 watched the game, which finished 1-1, San Jose Earthquakes scoring in the first half, DC United equalising in the second.

In the evening, I went out in the evening with an internet contact, who I had two things in common with. We both had the same surname, (although not related), and we were both married to ladies of Chinese extraction. (I am not certain in his case, whether his wife was from China, or was Chinese-American). His family are the only unrelated people I have ever met with my surname

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Cricket
Sunday 3rd July 2005
Evening Standard Trophy 1st round ?
Gore Court v Esher at Gore Court London Rd Sittingbourne
Scores Esher 193 all out Gore Court 150 all out
Admission free Attendance peaked at 10
In the 30 odd years I lived in Sittingbourne I only saw cricket at this ground
a handful of times. A low scoring match in which Esher recovered from
51 for 4 to make 193. Gore Court made a good start with ex Kent
player Martin Mcague opening the batting but once he departed wickets
tumbled and Gore Court were well beaten.

Thursday 3rd July 2008
Second XI Trophy 50 overs a side
Durham v Leicestershire at Victoria Park Hartlepool
Scores Durham 233 for 8 Leicester 166 all out
Admission free Scorecard free
A trip to the North East with Kent43 and Eddie Cook principally
for the Durham v Kent Friends Provident Trophy semi final
but when we saw this fixture we decided to go earlier a day
earlier. In the Durham innings nobody got a 50 Mark Stoneman
being top scorer with 49. Harry Gurney looked to be Leicester's best
bowler. In reply Leicester were 115 for 3 at one stage and victory
seemed on the cards however once Greg Smith was bowled by
Wiseman for 56 Leicester's innings folded.
Not the most memorable of games but a nice ground and
the Durham people were very pleasant and hospitable.

Speedway
Thursday 3rd July 2008 Premier League
Redcar Bears v Scunthorpe Scorpions at South Teesside Motor Park
Score Redcar 50 Scunthorpe 40
Admission £13 Programme £2
After the cricket finished we had plenty of time to drive here.
A good meeting in which two 5-1 heat wins in the last 4 races
settled the meeting in Redcar's favour. Gary Havelock was the
Bears top scorer with 11 points from 4 rides. Victor Bergstrom
rode well for Scunthorpe.

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1993- Also at St Georges Park for the opening game of the Inter Island Games Tournament between Isle of Wight and Isle of Man which is covered by steveb in post 12.
2003- The Summer League. Wayne Tabern Memorial Cup 1st round. Ostrich Rangers v Weston 1-3.
2010- Burnley & Dist. Summer League. Heather Lea v Prairie United 1-2 at Fennyfold Playing Fields Padiham.
2011- Two matches in Bradford Sunday Cup Group A on different pitches at Northcliffe Playing Fields, Shipley.
11 am Hare & Hounds v Heaton Athletic 6-0 on pitch 2 ( top pitch), then went for a pint before second game.
2 pm Cuedos Rangers v Oddfellows Athletic 9-1 on pitch 1 ( bottom pitch).

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Not very many matches attended on 3rd July. Prorege’s post has made me wonder what I was doing on that Saturday in 2004? It was also surprising to read that at least one match was played on Saturday 3rd July 1993 on the Isle of Wight, because in subsequent Island Games, the football tournament has tended to start on the Sunday. But it appears from Steveb’s post that the game he saw was an evening kick-off, so presumably I did not want to attend it because I would then have had to spend the night on the island.

1989 (Monday) – No Stars 3 IF Pedersore Pojkarna 0 (Finland, 4th tier) No programme. Yes, I know that this is a ridiculous name for a football club, but at least you can’t accuse them of lacking modesty and in a way, it makes sense to use that name, because they are based in Kokkola which is a bilingual town (it is known as ‘Karleby’ in Swedish) and so it was presumably seen as a way of trying to appeal to both linguistic groups. But in the post-internet era, this is not such a good idea. Why, you ask? Well, try typing ‘No Stars’ into Google and you’ll see what I mean! Even entering ‘No Stars FC, Finland’ won’t get you anywhere. The only mention of the club on the web is on the Wikipedia list of football clubs in Finland. The visitors have a Swedish name, so neither club had a Finnish name despite the match being played on the Finnish mainland. As for the ground where this match was played - it is in the village of Ykspihlaja, located just outside Kokkola, and a look at Google Street View shows that the ground (located in a road called Lemminkaisenkatu) is unchanged since my visit, with the small covered stand still there.

2010 (Saturday) – Cray Wanderers 3 Crockenhill 0 (pre-season friendly) A5 programme issued. Played at St Mary’s Cray Recreation Ground in Park Road, which I believe was one of Cray’s original home grounds. It was not possible to charge entry but there was a decent crowd present, possibly 300 or so, thanks to some good advance publicity.

2011 (Sunday) – Shamrock Rovers 1 St Patricks Athletic 0 (Eire, top division, attendance 4,014) see link to my WDYG report on old forum; http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=339530;search_string=shamrock;guest=337276867#339530

2015 (Friday) – Sarpsborg ’08 1 Molde FK 4 (Norway, top division) Four-page A4 programme issued – this was the last time to date that I got a programme at a top division match in Norway. Although this was the first time I had seen a match at the ground, it adjoins the main railway line to Gothenburg and so I had seen the ground from the train several times before. In the late 1980’s, it had no cover for spectators, only an open wooden stand on one side. Some years later, this structure was replaced by a bigger concrete stand with a propped cantilever roof. When I saw this match, temporary stands had been added to the other three sides of the ground. Earlier in the day, I had flown from Stansted to Rygge, which isn’t very far from Sarpsborg, and after the match I travelled onwards to Oslo by a bus which I had pre-booked in advance, as the last train from Sarpsborg to Oslo had already departed. The bus was a long-distance service from Gothenburg and did not call at the town centre, but at a motorway junction which was only about 25 minutes walk from the stadium. I arrived in Oslo shortly after 11 pm and went straight to the youth hostel to spend the night there before attending matches at Elverum the following day and KFUM Oslo on Sunday, programmes issued for both.

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Pre-season Friendly
Coleshill Town 1-5 Tividale

A rare Monday fixture for me. Tuesday is generally my groundhopping day, but with my planned Tuesday game having a date change to the following Saturday, this game became my best option for football this particular midweek. I spent the first half seated in the small stand on the far side from the entrance, and the second half standing behind the goal.

Not sure what sort of standard the two teams were. Coleshill had announced that their side would be a mixture of first teamers and Under 21s, and Tividale changed their entire team at half time.

This was a much more even game than the score suggests, in fact Coleshill started the brighter, and came close to taking the lead on 8 minutes, but a curling shot cannoned back off the far post. Tividale took full advantage of this let off, going straight down the other end and scoring, a cross from the right was met by a lovely cushioned header by the number 9.

This led to a far more even contest over the next 20 minutes or so, with both sides playing some decent stuff, but it was a surprise when Tividale added two more in the space of two minutes. A junking rip in and neat finish by the left winger made it 2, followed shortly afterwards by a fortunate third, when a free kick deflected off the back of an attacker, completely wrong footing the keeper.

Coleshill pulled one back shortly before half time, a goal that their play deserved, with a neat finish from the centre forward, only for Tividale to add two more in the second half.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
2005 - Colehill Sports v James & James - referee. PSF played at Hamworthy Marine Camp, bit of security getting in/out. Colehill Sports were a long established Dorset Sunday League side, now folded (both league and club), James & James are a long established Bournemouth Sunday League side.
James & James was a shoe shop in Boscombe. Often used to go in there to buy cheap pairs of trainers.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks