July 5th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1687, Isaac Newton published Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica, introducing gravity to the world

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
So if I was sitting under an apple tree and an apple dropped on my head, what caused it before 1687 ?

Sunday @ 18-00.
Inter Toto Cup R2 1st leg.
F C Twente 2 v 0 Kongsvinger.

@ Arke Stadium , Enschede
----------------Arke as new in 1998.---------------Diekman , 03/02/74 v Ajax. Now demolished-
-------Photo: Stadion het Diekman - Enschede | Holland album | Whocares ...

FC Twente - Sander Boscher , Nico Jan Hoogma , Dennis Hulsoff , Andre Karnebeek , Jan van Halst , Berthil ter Avest (1), Theo ten Cast , Rico Steinmann , John Bosma , Jan Vennegor of Hesselink , Chris De Witte (1).
Subs - Jorg Sobiech for Karnebeek , Erik ten Hag for De Witte , Antti Sumiala for Vennegor of Hesselink.
Manager - Hans Meyer.

Kongsvinger - Johan Lianes , Pap Hapnes , Vidar Evensen , Oivind Berg , Abdul Karim Ahmed , Jon Inge Hoiland , Julian Johnsson , Marius Gullerud , Erik Dyendal , Trym Bergmann , Ludwig Ernstsson.
Subs -Lars Sorlien for Hapnes , Harald Solberg for Dyendal.
Manager - Per Brogeland.

Referee - Jose Mendes Pratas (Portugal)

Twente went through to Round 3 after a 0- 0 in Norway , then Austria Salzburg knocked them out.

11 x games (10+ 1 Summer) , 1 x 0-0. 1 x double.Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock9 x foreign ).

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.

1977 Vancouver Whitecaps 1 v 0 Seattle Sounders.
1978 Colorado Caribous 0 v 1 Memphis Rogues.
1993 Isle of Man 2 v 0 Aland.
1993 Ynys Mon 1 v 0 Gibraltar.
2002 Singapore Armed Forces 6 v 1 Senkeng.
2006 Dinaburg 2 v 0 Dizvanagi.
2007 Houston Dynamos 4 v 0 N Y Red Bull.
2017 Orlando City 1 v 3 Toronto.

-The modern bikini-modelled1946-Paris -/-Spam , Spam , Spam , Spam , Spam launched 1937-
Micheline Bernardini - Wikipedia--A Brief History of Spam, an American Meat Icon - Eater

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The principia also introduced the laws of motion, which state that without the force of gravity acting on the apple, it would simply stay where it was.

My only game of football was a scoreless draw between Cefn Druids and MyPa 47, played at Wrexham in 2012. (Europa League)

hantslondoner

Youth Team Starter
two pre-season friendlies:

2011 - 1900 KO - Locks Heath 0 Fareham T. 4 att est 40 @St.Georges Barracks, Gosport
Two goals in each half (one pen) sealed a comfortable win for the higher-placed visitors. A few (grass) pitches at this complex, normally used by Gosport FC Youth. The complex is fenced off from the road and some of the 1850s barracks can be seen over the far side,

2014 - 1500 KO - Winchester C. 1 Sutton U. 5 att 181
A hefty £6-00 to get in (City tend to charge league prices for friendlies), but a decent game, which was surprisingly 1-0 to the Wessex league hosts (who consisted of a large part of the previous season's Alresford Town squad and players) at half time.
After the break the Conference South visitors got their act together, with the aid of several substitutions, especially the speedy ex-Millwall and Brentford Marvin Williams, with two goals and two assists.
Winchester finished second this season and were promoted to the Southern League.
A more extensive report can be found on the old WDYG.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Sub
Team{s}
The Knitters.
World Cup 82 (2nd Round, Group B)
Estadio Santiago Bernabèu. Madrid.
Spain 0 England 0.
Adm. 1,000 Ptas.
Att. 75,000.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
First up rugby league

2003 London Broncos - 20 Hull FC - 20 @ Griffin Park (Brentford FC)

2008 Thetford Titans - 6 Hainault Bulldogs - 26 @ Mundford Road (Thetford RFC)

Then some more retro racing

1989 Bungay 10k 36-51 25th

1997 Southern League - Battersea Park 5000 metres 16-56.8 8th & 3000 metres steeplechase 11-17.6 1st

2006 Eastern Veterans League - King's Lynn 1500 metres 5-10.1 6th

2014 Blickling parkrun (34) 24-15 31st

2017 Wroxham 5k (race three) 22-39 296th

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
July 5th 2014
Friendly
East Fife v Fulham, 0-3, H.T. 0-0, Att 671
At New Bayview Stadium

For most folk “Doing the 92” probably means visiting the 92 Football League grounds. For me it means seeing the 92 Football League clubs play on Scottish Grounds. Unusual fixtures have always intrigued me and quite a few of these cross-border games will feature here over the next few weeks. As an aside the promotion of Barrow to the Football League at the expense of Stevenage means I am one closer to the 92 – I saw Barrow at Meadowbank in 1979 but have never seen Stevenage north of the border.

Fulham visiting East Fife certainly ranked as unusual. What was also unusual was that a businessman friend of mine decided to sponsor the game and invited me along. The quality of hospitality laid on by East Fife was superb – an excellent mean, unlimited free drink and the sponsor had also laid on a taxi home. All good – the only downside being the need to don a suit, shirt and tie normally reserved for weddings and funerals.

East Fife: Rooney (Fleming 46'); Mullen, Smith (Honeyman 20' (Maskrey 46')), Walker (Wooley 65'), Naysmith; McAleer, Moyes (Wallace 65'), Brown (Falconer 65'), Beaton; Barr, Smith
Unused substitutes: McShane
Fulham: Rodàk (Joronen 46'); Voser (Zverotic 46'), Hutchinson (Hoogland 46'), Burn (Grimmer 46'), Kacaniklic (Tunnicliffe 46'); Williams (Trialist 3 46'), Parker (Christensen 46'), Hyndman (Trialist 2 46'); Williams (Mesca 46'), Trialist 1 (Woodrow 46'); Dembele (Rodallega 46')

After a goalless first half, Felix Magath made 11 changes at the break, with Elsad Zverotić putting the Whites in front in the 52nd minute, firing home after Cauley Woodrow’s shot had been saved.

Nine minutes later it was 2-0, Hugo Rodallega heading home Zverotić’s cross from three yards. And Woodrow increased the lead on 71 when he collected Lasse Vigen Christensen’s ball over the top and smashed an effort in.

In the WDYG of the time I noted that the excellent East Fife programme listed all the English clubs to have visited Methil for Friendlies over the years. It was quite a list: Shrewsbury (x 2), Oldham, Stoke, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves (x 2), Southend, Tranmere, Gateshead (x 2), Southend, Bishop Auckland, Hartlepool (x 4), Workington, Wigan, Oxford, Goole, Chester, Witton Albion, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Manchester United, Grimsby, Stalybridge Celtic, Sheffield United, Port Vale, Rochdale (x 2), Plymouth, Notts County, Accrington Stanley (x2) and now Fulham.

Highlights:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
As I did not have any pictures of the Druids - MyPa game, I have pushed ahead two days to show Sligo Rovers from 7 July 2006 as tweet of the day.

This also has some pictures from 5 July 2010
Having been in LA the day before, I made a more leisurely drive North, avoid the motorways and driving through the hills of California to Fresno. I only arrived shortly before the first pitch at Chukchansi Park. This is AAA minor league baseball, the second level, and my game was Fresno Grizzlies against Colorado Springs Sky Sox. Crowd was 13,776.

[I did not keep a full record, but more stats than I can understand are at MiLB Match details]

In simple terms, both teams scored two runs in the second innings, after which Fresno pulled ahead with a run in the fourth and two more in the fifth and although Colorado Springs pulled two back in the seventh, this was a decisive lead.

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
1992 Corintians 1 Bragantino 1 crowd 40,000
Pacembu Stadium, Sao Paolo, Brazil

In the summer of 1992 I was travelling around the world without any particular plan to watch football but managed to go to games in Hong Kong and New Zealand en route, and landing in Brazil I seemed to have hit the jackpot as there were several games on which I could go to, the first of which was in the superb Art Deco Pacembu stadium in Sao Paolo which had hosted 6 games in the 1950 World Cup.
The Brazilian Championships in those days seemed to go on forever and this was in the second stage after the regular league had finished, the top eight qualifying into two groups of four, the winner of each group making the final. Both sides were struggling to catch the leader Botafogo and needed the points if they were to reach the final. I had chosen to sit in the posh seats as they weren’t particularly expensive so I was surprised when two women lept up and celebrated a Bragantino goal and were verbally abused by the home fans sitting around us, from my limited grasp of Portugese the word puta(whore)seemed to be the favourite which was a surprise. Corintians eventually got an equaliser through Neto but the game petered out to a 1-1 draw which suited neither side as the games were running out before the final the following weekend.AC47247A-4790-451A-813B-B030A043E107.jpeg5FC670AC-8EAE-415D-825A-FAE971A9E09A.jpeg52A5A8DF-E701-427F-B51F-DB8A91A3EA79.jpegF6D21DE4-D346-4F80-8E22-E2E2FF75277D.jpeg

Last edited:

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Regular
July 5th 2014
Friendly
East Fife v Fulham, 0-3, H.T. 0-0, Att 671
At New Bayview Stadium

For most folk “Doing the 92” probably means visiting the 92 Football League grounds. For me it means seeing the 92 Football League clubs play on Scottish Grounds. Unusual fixtures have always intrigued me and quite a few of these cross-border games will feature here over the next few weeks. As an aside the promotion of Barrow to the Football League at the expense of Stevenage means I am one closer to the 92 – I saw Barrow at Meadowbank in 1979 but have never seen Stevenage north of the border.

Fulham visiting East Fife certainly ranked as unusual. What was also unusual was that a businessman friend of mine decided to sponsor the game and invited me along. The quality of hospitality laid on by East Fife was superb – an excellent mean, unlimited free drink and the sponsor had also laid on a taxi home. All good – the only downside being the need to don a suit, shirt and tie normally reserved for weddings and funerals.

East Fife: Rooney (Fleming 46'); Mullen, Smith (Honeyman 20' (Maskrey 46')), Walker (Wooley 65'), Naysmith; McAleer, Moyes (Wallace 65'), Brown (Falconer 65'), Beaton; Barr, Smith
Unused substitutes: McShane
Fulham: Rodàk (Joronen 46'); Voser (Zverotic 46'), Hutchinson (Hoogland 46'), Burn (Grimmer 46'), Kacaniklic (Tunnicliffe 46'); Williams (Trialist 3 46'), Parker (Christensen 46'), Hyndman (Trialist 2 46'); Williams (Mesca 46'), Trialist 1 (Woodrow 46'); Dembele (Rodallega 46')

After a goalless first half, Felix Magath made 11 changes at the break, with Elsad Zverotić putting the Whites in front in the 52nd minute, firing home after Cauley Woodrow’s shot had been saved.

Nine minutes later it was 2-0, Hugo Rodallega heading home Zverotić’s cross from three yards. And Woodrow increased the lead on 71 when he collected Lasse Vigen Christensen’s ball over the top and smashed an effort in.

In the WDYG of the time I noted that the excellent East Fife programme listed all the English clubs to have visited Methil for Friendlies over the years. It was quite a list: Shrewsbury (x 2), Oldham, Stoke, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves (x 2), Southend, Tranmere, Gateshead (x 2), Southend, Bishop Auckland, Hartlepool (x 4), Workington, Wigan, Oxford, Goole, Chester, Witton Albion, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Manchester United, Grimsby, Stalybridge Celtic, Sheffield United, Port Vale, Rochdale (x 2), Plymouth, Notts County, Accrington Stanley (x2) and now Fulham.

Highlights:

I was also at this along with Jimmy and Del.
First and only time I have seen Fulham, like you I used to like going along to Scotland v England PSF games.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Football
Friday 5th July 2002
Eircom League Cup Division One South
Athlone Town v Kilkenny City at St Mels Park Athlone
Score 1-1 half time 1-0 Attendance around 400
Admission 7 Euros Programme 2 Euros
A pretty drab match plenty of effort but little in the
way of excitement. Athlone scored after 6 minutes when a
corner was headed home. Kilkenny levelled in the second half
when a shot was parried by the Athlone and the loose ball headed home.

Rugby League
Saturday 5th July 2003
Rugby League Academy kick off 1430
London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers at Jersey Rd Osterley
Score 14-64 half time 8-24 Attendance around 30
Admission free No paper Raffle ticket £1
It was quite surprising that this game finished as with 20 minutes gone
and the score 12-8 to Featherstone one of their players started fitting
badly after a heavy tackle, the medics present rushed to him and within
15 minutes or so the air ambulance landed on the pitch and took him
to hospital. After a long delay Featherstone scored two converted
converted tries before half time and then ran riot in the second half.
Thankfully news came through at the end that the Featherstone player
was making a quick recovery.
Think this ground was also used by Brentford Youth for a while.

Saturday 5th July 2003
London Broncos v Hull at Griffin Park kick off 1800
Score 20-20 half time 12-8 Attendance 4151
Admission £15 Programme £2
Like mxhornet I was also present at Griffin Park for this very good
match. Hull coming back from a 20-10 deficit to force a draw
Broncos were not happy at the end when Moran was impeded
whilst in a good position.

Saturday 5th July 2008
Rugby League Conference
Featherstone Lions v Dewsbury Celtic at Wakefield Rd Featherstone
Score 44-0 Half time 20-0 Attendance around 100
Admission £3 No Programme around 120
We called in here on the way back home from cricket at Durham
the previous day. A nasty niggly game played in heavy thundery
showers, the game ended in a mass brawl and I think 4 players were
sent off. The referee then decided he had had enough and blew up
a few minutes early

Last edited:

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Just the one game today ...

2016 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Div 2: Springfields 2 Ribchester Rovers reserves 4 (att 10)
Played on an artificial pitch at a school in Ashton-on-Ribble, a suburb of Preston. A few weeks before this, in the same Catforth League season but in my preceding season, I'd seen a game on the adjacent grass pitch. Springfields play winter football in the Mid Lancashire League, but not at this ground.

4423.jpg

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1993 ( Monday)- 3rd day of the Inter Island Games Football Tournament.
Group B. Isle of Man v Aland 2-0 at West Wight.
Group A. Jersey v Greenland 4-2 at Brading Town.
Group B. Ynys Mon v Gibralter 1-0 at East Cowes Victoria.
2004 Monday) - Llandyrnog & Dist. Village Clubs Summer League Cup Preliminary round. Clawddnewydd v Cefn 3-2.
2010 (Monday)- The Summer League. Wayne Tabard Memorial Trophy 1st round. At Village Hall Ground, Hilton.
Hilton Athletic v Biggin 2-0 at Village Hall Ground, Hilton.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Sub
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Super League. @ The Hive.
London Broncos 6 Wigan Warriors 58.
Adm. £23.
Att. 2,013.

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Chepstow Town 0 Undy Athletic 3
PSF Admission: £3 1830hrs KO Attendance: 100+

Lovely sunny Friday game with distant views of the old Severn Bridge; loved the ground and will go back. Game predictably went to the higher league visitors who really should have scored much more than they did; they had a trialist at No. 9 who missed a hatful.

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1998 JJB Sports Super League III Salford Reds v Warrington Wolves Won 14-25
2001 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Clawddnewydd Lost 2-3
2003 Total Rugby League.com Summer Conference North West Group Chester Wolves v Lancaster T17 58-8
2004 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd Won 3-0
2007 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Replay Ysceifiog v Llanrhaeadr 2-0
2010 North Wales Times Shield Preliminary Round Henllan v Nantglyn Drew 2-2
2012 Tony Evans Memorial Shield First Round Henllan v Nantglyn Won 3-1
2014 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division One Saddleworth Rangers v Eccles 30-18
One of the better National Conference grounds. Fully enclosed and railed with a decent covered stand down one side. The club house has been rebuilt since this visit I think. No programme for this game. It was a rearranged match after the initial tie was abandoned.
2018 Tony Evans Memorial Shield First Round Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 4-3

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
In 2014 I paid my first visit to a Khalsa Football Federation Tournament. I did not know what to expect but it turned out to be an enjoyable day with excellent organisation, a decent standard of football and very good free Panjabi food.

The event took place at Sinfin Moor Park in Derby and I watched two Premier Division matches;
12:30 Sikh Hunters 1 Derby Singh Brothers 4
17:30 Guru Nanak Gurdwara Leicester 3 Azaad Sports 4
In the second match GNG pulled level from 3-0 down before Azaad's winning goal (if a match is drawn it goes to penalties).

Some hoppers in attendance watched 3 or even 4 matches by taking in fixtures in the First & Second Divisions.
KFF.jpeg

I have been to other Khalsa tournaments since and, although the organisation has not always been so good as today, the football has remained decent, as has the food which has invariably been offered free of charge.

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Sunday 5th July 2009

Sligo Rovers 2 Drogheda United 2 (750)

Our annual holiday in 2009 was a west coast tour of Ireland, quite apt as we both have Irish ancestors.
Flew from EMA to Knock, picked up a car and sorted accommodation out on the way during our 800 mile tour. For anyone visiting this area Hargadons is an excellent character pub in Sligo.
1593976630478.png

Mark

Junior Team Starter
They omitted Ashington, visitors to Methil in January 1960. I think at the time Ashington were one of three or four North-East non-League clubs considering an application to join the Scottish League as the 60s were a difficult time for semi-pro football in the region. Whether any of them actually went ahead with their application, I suspect you’re better placed to advise.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The programme actually said pre season friendlies since they were first allowed in 1966. Ashington was a mid season game. East Fife played a few others in mid season games over the years. Stoke in 1970 springs to mind.

Ashington had one season in the 60s when they played 7 or 8 Scottish League clubs. I will check my notes to see if they ever actually applied. Gateshead United, formerly South Shields, definitely did in 1974. I think Wigan may have put in an application one year as well.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks