May 15th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1928, the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, "Plane Crazy" was released

Did you go to a "Mickey Mouse" Cup game, or something more competitive?

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Wednesday 15th May 1996
Darlington 2 Hereford United 1 (HT 1-0)
Darlington won 4-2 on aggregate
Football League, Division Three Play-Off Semi-Final, Second Leg (7.30)
Admission £8 (east stand paddock)
Attendance 6,584
Programme £2.50 (24pp, A4 format)

In front of a packed Feethams, Darlington secured a first visit to Wembley. Quakers, who had finished fifth and were 2-1 up from the first leg at Edgar Street, saw off with comfort Hereford United (sixth) to set up a promotion showdown against fourth-placed Plymouth Argyle.

During the five years I worked on Teesside, I was an occasional visitor to Feethams. Two colleagues supported Darlo, and I’d accompany them - mostly to midweek games - when I had nothing better to do. We’d meet at a Blackwellgate pub, The Falchion, for a pre-match pint. I rarely watched the game in my colleagues’ company. They stood on the Tin Shed terrace. Being non-partisan, and never keen on the behind-the-goal view, I preferred the paddock in front of the main (or east) stand.

By some margin, this was the most memorable Feethams occasion of which I was part. Under director of coaching Jim Platt, a Northern Irishman noted for keeping goal with distinction in the colours of neighbours Middlesbrough, Darlington had made great strides. In his programmes notes, chairman Bernard Lowery wrote: “Whatever the final result of this season’s campaign everyone has cause to be proud of what has been achieved. A team which last season languished at the foot of the Third Division has been transformed into undoubtedly the best footballing side in the Third Division.”

Only a year into his role, Lowery pointed to the “first signs of regeneration” of Feethams. Plans had been unveiled to rebuild the ground. Indeed, page six of the programme was devoted to an artist’s impression of how the proposed 10,000-seat stadium would look. Work was scheduled to begin during the close season.

In his From the Bench contribution, Platt added: “This season has exceeded even our most optimistic predictions. We believed at the start that we would consolidate and build on our youthful team but the performance of the players has been simply magnificent and our away record, the best in the League for over 50 years, is a source of great pride to all at the club.”

Teams:

Quakers: Paul Newell, Matt Carmichael, Matty Appleby, Andy Crosby, Sean Gregan, Mark Barnard, Phil Brumwell, Steve Gaughan, Gary Bannister, Robbie Blake, Robbie Painter. Subs (not used): Anthony Carss, Gary Twynham, Paul Mattison.

Bulls: Chris Mackenzie, Jamie Pitman (Tony Pounder, 61), Tony James, Dean Smith, Stuart Watkiss (John Brough, 75), Murray Fishlock, Richard Wilkins, Gareth Stoker, Nicky Cross, Steve White, Neil Lyne. Sub (not used): Keith Downing.

On a bumpy pitch, Darlington went ahead in the 17th minute. Gary Bannister (subject of the programme’s centrefold) had opened up the Hereford defence three times before his shot was helped into the net by Robbie Painter (on the programme cover). Matty Appleby made it 2-0 with a 48th-minute penalty, awarded for a Tony James trip on Robbie Blake. Steve White pulled one back in the 65th minute when he scored from close range after James had flicked on a Nicky Cross corner. Six minutes from time, Hereford’s Richard Wilkins was sent off for a late tackle on Mark Barnard. Cheesily, the match sponsors’ man of the match was ‘all the Darlington players’.

Darlo captain Andy Crosby said: “When I was appointed skipper, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be leading the side out at Wembley. To do that and to climb those famous steps to the Royal box is what you dream about as a youngster. It’s why you become a footballer.”

Ten days later, watched by 43,431 at Wembley, Darlington lost 0-1 to Plymouth, for whom Ronnie Mauge scored in the 65th minute. However, Quakers did bank about £200,000 from the occasion. Incidentally, the Falchion (formerly Three Blue Bells) is a now a wine bar/restaurant, Avalon.

Other sports:

Cricket at Lancashire League Rawtenstall (2016), a favourite ground with excellent spectator facilities and a strong sense of place owing to the presence of a former textile mill (converted into flats) and similarly striking Pennine hills. Visitors Burnley won by three wickets with eight balls to spare.

Scunthorpe Scorpions 46 Armadale Dale Devils 46 (2005, speedway, Conference League Trophy). Quite a fightback from the West Lothian-based visitors, who trailed 13-23 after six heats. Scunthorpe required a last race 4-2, provided by Danny Norton (11) and Richie Dennis (13), to salvage a draw. Captain Blair Scott (13) and Sean Stoddart (11) led the Armadale scoring. Sadly, Scott died, at the age of 39, in April 2020.

Gloucestershire 26 Northumberland 22 @ Regentsholme, Lydney (2004, rugby union, County Championship, Semi-Final). I called in at this pleasant setting on the way home to Leeds after watching third tier speedway at Weymouth the previous evening. Northumberland, 6-20 down at half-time, staged a strong fightback but fell short. A very warm afternoon, I recall. I don’t have any record of the attendance. Two weeks later, in the Twickenham final, Devon thrashed Gloucestershire 43-14 to claim an eighth title.

World Championship, British Semi-final, Second Leg @ Owlerton, Sheffield (1997, speedway, individual). When first leg scores were added to points gained from this Owlerton round, the top six progressed to the British Final. Qualifiers were Sean Wilson, Scott Smith, Dean Barker, Scott Nicholls (British champion on seven occasions and scheduled to ride for Kent Kings in 2020), Garry Stead and Neville Tatum, Kelvin's brother.

Glasgow Tigers 62 Middlesbrough Bears 33 (1994, speedway, British League, Division Two, ‘A’ series). Shawfield Stadium (home formerly to Clyde FC) staged speedway between 1988 and 1998. During that decade, Glasgow were amongst the sport’s best supported clubs. The track was on the dusty side for this match, which Tigers led by six points after nine heats before pulling away during the closing stages. Glasgow skipper Nigel Crabtree and team-mate David Walsh (to ride for Middlesbrough in 1996) each recorded five-ride maximums. Guest Les Collins (9) and Paul ‘Banger’ Bentley (6+1) top-scored for the visitors. Initially, spectators could access everywhere bar the first and second bends at Shawfield, which in several places was decidedly dilapidated. Perching in front of a rusty roof, I remember the view from the back straight terrace was excellent. Towards the end of Tigers’ stay, however, spectating became restricted to the main stand area. Since 1999, Glasgow have raced at Saracen Park, former home of Ashfield Giants.

Glasgow Tigers 36 Exeter Falcons 42 @ Derwent Park, Workington (1987, speedway, National League). This was the second Derwent Park meeting during Glasgow’s unhappy partial season at Workington. After the 1986 campaign, Tigers became homeless when their landlord, Blantyre Celtic FC, served notice for them to quit Craighead Park, home since 1982. Celtic (to fold in 1992) were revamping the football pitch, a move which swallowed up part of a notoriously narrow track. Plans to use an alternative venue, Rosebery Park, Oatlands, fell through. Rather than mothballing themselves, until a suitable stadium in Glasgow could be found, arguably the most sensible strategy, Tigers gambled on operating from the Derwent Park circuit, disused since 1985.

The venture wasn’t a success: the team were weak (only Boston Barracudas, who shut for good at the end of the season, lost more meetings); the racing was chaotic (little, if any, remedial work was done between meetings on a track consequently dangerous and better suited to Moto-X); few Glaswegians were inclined to make the long-distance commute; and a team called ‘Glasgow’ (nobody was fooled by the ‘Kishorn Windows Tigers’ label) didn’t appeal to Cumbria’s sporting public. Friday evening home matches generally attracted about 500 spectators. A few weeks before the end of the season, the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA), patience exhausted after several complaints from teams who had visited Derwent Park, kicked out Tigers, who belatedly had renamed themselves Workington Tigers. Astonishingly, Glasgow Tigers re-emerged the following season at Shawfield Stadium (the Rutherglen dog track used formerly by Clyde FC), and for a number of years drew crowds running to several thousand. Speedway returned to Derwent Park in 1999, when Workington Comets were revived. Comets shut at the end of the 2018 season. Workington Town Rugby League Club have since removed the speedway track.

The Glasgow-Exeter meeting took place a fortnight after the season-opener, a 55-23 win over Boston, partly because of a legal wrangle with Cumbria County Council safety watchdogs. It was watched by a crowd the Press estimated to be “around 1,000” (1,400 had seen the Boston match). Inspired by Michael Coles (12), Colin ‘Cowboy’ Cook (10) and David Smart (8+2), Falcons recorded their first away victory of the campaign. Coles, then a young prospect, won three of his races. Martin McKinna, one of three Scottish brothers to ride speedway, top-scored with 10 for Glasgow, whose Maryport-based skipper Steve Lawson contributed 8+1 but missed a crucial ride because of mechanical problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The pickings are getting fewer and fewer...

Tuesday 15th May 1979 ~ Portsmouth 1-1 Aldershot
Saturday 15th May 1982 ~ Portsmouth 3-0 Swindon Town
Sunday 15th May 1988 ~ Swansea City 1-0 Rotherham United
Tuesday 15th May 2012 ~ Mansfield Road 1-2 Marston Saints

...though 15th May gave me my first-ever experience of the play-offs, with...

Sunday 15th May 1988 ~
Division Four play-off semi-final first leg
Swansea City 1-0 Rotherham United

This extra dose of football had come as an exciting and unexpected surprise for Swans fans - a 3-0 win at home to Darlington the previous weekend had inched them narrowly above Peterborough and Orient on a slim goal-difference, and into the play-off places for the very first time that season. Back in those days, as well as promotion chasers, the play-offs would include relegation candidates from the division above - so while the two stronger teams of Scunthorpe United and Torquay United (who'd each finished seven points ahead of Swans) would battle each-other in one semi-final, Swansea had the luxury of facing a struggling third division Rotherham who'd lost six of their previous eight matches.

I remember the hot and sunny afternoon, stood on the North Bank in a bouncing crowd of 9,148 (only the Boxing Day attendance for the derby visit of Cardiff City had been bigger so far that season). A real raucous atmosphere, and the place exploded when Sean McCarthy scored the winner with just five minutes remaining, giving Swans the narrowest of advantages for the second leg on Wednesday 18th.

1589493749154.png

MarkMUFC

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Marske United, Durham CCC
Wednesday 15th May 1996
Darlington 2 Hereford United 1 (HT 1-0)
Darlington won 4-2 on aggregate
Football League, Division Three Play-Off Semi-Final, Second Leg (7.30)
Admission £8 (east stand paddock)
Attendance 6,584
Programme £2.50 (24pp, A4 format)

In front of a packed Feethams, Darlington secured a first visit to Wembley. Quakers, who had finished fifth and were 2-1 up from the first leg at Edgar Street, saw off with comfort Hereford United (sixth) to set up a promotion showdown against fourth-placed Plymouth Argyle.

During the five years I worked on Teesside, I was an occasional visitor to Feethams. Two colleagues supported Darlo, and I’d accompany them - mostly to midweek games - when I had nothing better to do. We’d meet at a Blackwellgate pub, The Falchion, for a pre-match pint. I rarely watched the game in my colleagues’ company. They stood on the Tin Shed terrace. Being non-partisan, and never keen on the behind-the-goal view, I preferred the paddock in front of the main (or east) stand.

By some margin, this was the most memorable Feethams occasion of which I was part. Under director of coaching Jim Platt, a Northern Irishman noted for keeping goal with distinction in the colours of neighbours Middlesbrough, Darlington had made great strides. In his programmes notes, chairman Bernard Lowery wrote: “Whatever the final result of this season’s campaign everyone has cause to be proud of what has been achieved. A team which last season languished at the foot of the Third Division has been transformed into undoubtedly the best footballing side in the Third Division.”

Only a year into his role, Lowery pointed to the “first signs of regeneration” of Feethams. Plans had been unveiled to rebuild the ground. Indeed, page six of the programme was devoted to an artist’s impression of how the proposed 10,000-seat stadium would look. Work was scheduled to begin during the close season.

In his From the Bench contribution, Platt added: “This season has exceeded even our most optimistic predictions. We believed at the start that we would consolidate and build on our youthful team but the performance of the players has been simply magnificent and our away record, the best in the League for over 50 years, is a source of great pride to all at the club.”

Teams:

Quakers: Paul Newell, Matt Carmichael, Matty Appleby, Andy Crosby, Sean Gregan, Mark Barnard, Phil Brumwell, Steve Gaughan, Gary Bannister, Robbie Blake, Robbie Painter. Subs (not used): Anthony Carss, Gary Twynham, Paul Mattison.

Bulls: Chris Mackenzie, Jamie Pitman (Tony Pounder, 61), Tony James, Dean Smith, Stuart Watkiss (John Brough, 75), Murray Fishlock, Richard Wilkins, Gareth Stoker, Nicky Cross, Steve White, Neil Lyne. Sub (not used): Keith Downing.

On a bumpy pitch, Darlington went ahead in the 17th minute. Gary Bannister (subject of the programme’s centrefold) had opened up the Hereford defence three times before his shot was helped into the net by Robbie Painter (on the programme cover). Matty Appleby made it 2-0 with a 48th-minute penalty, awarded for a Tony James trip on Robbie Blake. Steve White pulled one back in the 65th minute when he scored from close range after James had flicked on a Nicky Cross corner. Six minutes from time, Hereford’s Richard Wilkins was sent off for a late tackle on Mark Barnard. Cheesily, the match sponsors’ man of the match was ‘all the Darlington players’.

Darlo captain Andy Crosby said: “When I was appointed skipper, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be leading the side out at Wembley. To do that and to climb those famous steps to the Royal box is what you dream about as a youngster. It’s why you become a footballer.”

Ten days later, watched by 43,431 at Wembley, Darlington lost 0-1 to Plymouth, for whom Ronnie Mauge scored in the 65th minute. However, Quakers did bank about £200,000 from the occasion. Incidentally, the Falchion (formerly Three Blue Bells) is a now a wine bar/restaurant, Avalon.

Other sports:

Cricket at Lancashire League Rawtenstall (2016), a favourite ground with excellent spectator facilities and a strong sense of place owing to the presence of a former textile mill (converted into flats) and similarly striking Pennine hills. Visitors Burnley won by three wickets with eight balls to spare.

Scunthorpe Scorpions 46 Armadale Dale Devils 46 (2005, speedway, Conference League Trophy). Quite a fightback from the West Lothian-based visitors, who trailed 13-23 after six heats. Scunthorpe required a last race 4-2, provided by Danny Norton (11) and Richie Dennis (13), to salvage a draw. Captain Blair Scott (13) and Sean Stoddart (11) led the Armadale scoring. Sadly, Scott died, at the age of 39, in April 2020.

Gloucestershire 26 Northumberland 22 @ Regentsholme, Lydney (2004, rugby union, County Championship, Semi-Final). I called in at this pleasant setting on the way home to Leeds after watching third tier speedway at Weymouth the previous evening. Northumberland, 6-20 down at half-time, staged a strong fightback but fell short. A very warm afternoon, I recall. I don’t have any record of the attendance. Two weeks later, in the Twickenham final, Devon thrashed Gloucestershire 43-14 to claim an eighth title.

World Championship, British Semi-final, Second Leg @ Owlerton, Sheffield (1997, speedway, individual). When first leg scores were added to points gained from this Owlerton round, the top six progressed to the British Final. Qualifiers were Sean Wilson, Scott Smith, Dean Barker, Scott Nicholls (British champion on seven occasions and scheduled to ride for Kent Kings in 2020), Garry Stead and Neville Tatum, Kelvin's brother.

Glasgow Tigers 62 Middlesbrough Bears 33 (1994, speedway, British League, Division Two, ‘A’ series). Shawfield Stadium (home formerly to Clyde FC) staged speedway between 1988 and 1998. During that decade, Glasgow were amongst the sport’s best supported clubs. The track was on the dusty side for this match, which Tigers led by six points after nine heats before pulling away during the closing stages. Glasgow skipper Nigel Crabtree and team-mate David Walsh (to ride for Middlesbrough in 1996) each recorded five-ride maximums. Guest Les Collins (9) and Paul ‘Banger’ Bentley (6+1) top-scored for the visitors. Initially, spectators could access everywhere bar the first and second bends at Shawfield, which in several places was decidedly dilapidated. Perching in front of a rusty roof, I remember the view from the back straight terrace was excellent. Towards the end of Tigers’ stay, however, spectating became restricted to the main stand area. Since 1999, Glasgow have raced at Saracen Park, former home of Ashfield Giants.

Glasgow Tigers 36 Exeter Falcons 42 @ Derwent Park, Workington (1987, speedway, National League). This was the second Derwent Park meeting during Glasgow’s unhappy partial season at Workington. After the 1986 campaign, Tigers became homeless when their landlord, Blantyre Celtic FC, served notice for them to quit Craighead Park, home since 1982. Celtic (to fold in 1992) were revamping the football pitch, a move which swallowed up part of a notoriously narrow track. Plans to use an alternative venue, Rosebery Park, Oatlands, fell through. Rather than mothballing themselves, until a suitable stadium in Glasgow could be found, arguably the most sensible strategy, Tigers gambled on operating from the Derwent Park circuit, disused since 1985.

The venture wasn’t a success: the team were weak (only Boston Barracudas, who shut for good at the end of the season, lost more meetings); the racing was chaotic (little, if any, remedial work was done between meetings on a track consequently dangerous and better suited to Moto-X); few Glaswegians were inclined to make the long-distance commute; and a team called ‘Glasgow’ (nobody was fooled by the ‘Kishorn Windows Tigers’ label) didn’t appeal to Cumbria’s sporting public. Friday evening home matches generally attracted about 500 spectators. A few weeks before the end of the season, the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA), patience exhausted after several complaints from teams who had visited Derwent Park, kicked out Tigers, who belatedly had renamed themselves Workington Tigers. Astonishingly, Glasgow Tigers re-emerged the following season at Shawfield Stadium (the Rutherglen dog track used formerly by Clyde FC), and for a number of years drew crowds running to several thousand. Speedway returned to Derwent Park in 1999, when Workington Comets were revived. Comets shut at the end of the 2018 season. Workington Town Rugby League Club have since removed the speedway track.

The Glasgow-Exeter meeting took place a fortnight after the season-opener, a 55-23 win over Boston, partly because of a legal wrangle with Cumbria County Council safety watchdogs. It was watched by a crowd the Press estimated to be “around 1,000” (1,400 had seen the Boston match). Inspired by Michael Coles (12), Colin ‘Cowboy’ Cook (10) and David Smart (8+2), Falcons recorded their first away victory of the campaign. Coles, then a young prospect, won three of his races. Martin McKinna, one of three Scottish brothers to ride speedway, top-scored with 10 for Glasgow, whose Maryport-based skipper Steve Lawson contributed 8+1 but missed a crucial ride because of mechanical problems.
Also at Darlo vs Hereford, which remains one of my favourite Darlo games and also one of my favourite seasons following The Quakers. Somehow, Dave Hodgson and Jim Platt had conjured together a squad of players who some would have seen as past their best - the classy Gary Bannister being the main example along with players - Matty Appleby, Robbie Blake and Sean Gregan - who would all go on to have excellent careers in the football league, plus a number of lower league journeymen such as Andy Crosby and Steve Gaughan. Hodgson resigned in December (a common Darlo theme over the next few years) leaving Platt in sole charge, after the club sanctioned the move of keeper Mike Pollitt to Notts County. Many fans (myself included) thought that the season would fall away at this point but Platt did superbly as sole manager, guiding Darlo to the brink of promotion only for a final day draw at Scunthorpe, which knocked them into the play offs. However, the season certainly surpassed even the most optimistic prediction and even a play off defeat to Plymouth didn't really disappoint me that much (unlike 4 years later, which was a real sickener).

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
1995 - Manchester United U18 1 Tottenham Hotspur U18 0 (HT 0-0, Agg 2-2, Pens 4-3) - FA Youth Cup Final 2nd Leg
My 41st of 115 visits to Old Trafford - Attendance 20190

United had lost the league to Blackburn Rovers, and so I went trying to find salvage in the season somehow. Tottenham had won the 1st Leg 2-1, but as there was no away goals rule, winning 1-0 would only level things. Winning 1-0 was exactly what United did, but it was a tight game. It was 0-0 right through to the final minute when the leveller was scored by Terry Cooke - he for me at the time was the next superstar and I was expecting to see him win Premier League titles with the 1st team for many years. Unfortunately I was wrong and he ended up signing for City. But with his equaliser, the game went straight to penalties (no extra time) and Phil Neville missed the first one, and Spurs scored... then United scored all the rest - Neil Mustoe, Ronnie Wallwork, Des Baker and finally the clincher from of course Terry Cooke. An amazing last gasp win that felt at the time like it almost made up for losing the Premier League.

2006 - Castleton Gabriels 3 Nelson 7 - North West Counties League Division 2
My 2nd of 2 visits to Butterworth Park

My 1st visit here was in the early 90s so as I had been following Nelson's fortunes in the latter part of the season and attended a few of their games, I did a return to Castleton. It was originally to see if they could clinch the win to secure 3rd place, but they had already done that with 2 wins in 3 days three days earlier. It was a very busy time for the keepers - I don't remember exactly how the scoring went but the win was never in doubt. It wasn't clear at the time if 3rd would be enough for promotion, but in the end it was. At the time this was my highest scoring league game with 10 goals - the only higher were a friendly in 1994 (5-7) and a testimonial in 1998 (4-8). It took a Catforth League game last year to finally break that record!

2010 - Salford City Reds 42 St Helens 34 (HT 22-18) - Super League
My 7th of 7 visits to the The Willows - Attendance 5685

My previous 6 times had been 1993-1997 and so this was a final visit before Salford moved out. Plus I actually won tickets on Facebook! Amazingly there are some legitimate spoof style "like this post to get a chance to win" posts - I did and I won! I arrived just near the end of the Academy game which finished 48-24 to St Helens. For some reason most of my previous Willows visits have been to see Salford play St Helens, and surprisingly Salford won most of them. This game they absolutely wiped the floor with St Helens - much more so than the final score seems to imply. It was 6-0 on 3 mins, 12-0 on 14 mins... I noted that Salford were really clinical, scoring on nearly every attack... 22-12 on 28 mins... then 28-18 at HT. Then in the 2nd half was what I noted as "never a St Helens try" as they briefly threatened to get back into it... but Salford wrapped it up to win 42-34.

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Wednesday @ 20-15.
European Cup Final.
Atletico Madrid 1 v 1 Bayern Munich. (AET).
@ Heysel Stadium , Brussels.
1974 European Cup Final programme.jpg

Atletico - Miguel Reina , Francisco Delgado Melo , Jose Luis Capon , Adelardo Rodriguez , Ramon Heredia , Eusebio Bejarano , Jose Ufarte , Luis Aragones (1) , Jose Eulogio Garate , Javier Irureta , Ignacio Salcedo.
Subs - Alberto Fernandez for Salcedo , Heraldo Bezerra for Ufarte.
Manager - Juan Carlos Lorenzo.

Bayern Munich - Sepp Maier , Johnny Hansen , Paul Britner , Georg Schwarzenbeck (1) , Franz Beckenbauer , Franz Roth , Conny Torsensson , Rainer Zobel , Gerd Muller , Uli Hoeness , Jupp Kapellmann.
Subs - Jupp Durnberger for Torstensson.
Manager - Udo Lattek.

Referee - Vital Loraux (Belgium).

The route to the final gave me an indication of what to expect , both teams had played 8 games to get here Bayern scoring 20 and conceding 15 while Atletico had scored 9 and conceded only 2. Both of those were in a 2nd leg 2-2 draw with Dainamo Bucharest after winning away 2-0 in the first leg.

So Atletico were boring in them far off days too , the final went to plan Atletico playing defensively and Bayern had no idea how to break them down. The plan worked wonders and there was no scoring in 90 mins , so to extra time and Atletico broke the deadlock with 5 minutes left with a free kick from the edge of the box by Aragones.

That was it , or so I thought but Schwarzenbeck in desperation sent in a 30 yard effort which beat everyone and equalised at the death.

I could not stay for the replay 2 days later on the Friday evening as I had a prior engagement at Hampden on the Saturday the 18th. , Bayern had learnt their lesson and won that easily 4-0.

35 x games , 1 x double , 3 x 0-0's.

Amazon.com: Amscan Amazing Disney Mickey Mouse Birthday Trophy ...

Not the European Cup of course.

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
2003/04 Chelsea 1 Leeds United 0 (41,281) Prem Lge
2004/05 Spurs 0 Blackburn Rovers 0 (35,797) Prem Lge
2013/14 Wormley Rovers 2 Belstone 3 (36) HCL Prem Div *
* Game played on far pitch

Ellisref

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
An earlyish offering today, mainly because the dog wanted to be let out into the garden!

Not much to report.

1975 - Leicester University B v Desford United Reserves - goalkeeper. The deciding game in the play-off for the title. Some of the Desford players seemed vaguely familiar as I'd played for our A team against their first team six days previously. A 2-1 win clinched the title and much lager was drunk in the closest hall of residence bar - prefer real ale now!
1989 - Brentford Reserves v Enfield (Capital League) - linesman. Played at Griffin Park, there also seemed to be a mad rush to get games finished at the end of the season when FL clubs were in the competition

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Six for me on this date as English league football begins to fizzle out.

1982: Second Division - Orient 0 - 3 Oldham Athletic - Att: 2,090
I had seen Orient relegated at Norwich City on the previous Saturday and there was now the awkward business of two remaining home matches that nobody really wanted to play in or to watch - naturally I went to both of them. I haven't done the necessary research, but I think this was probably the smallest Second Division crowd ever to assemble at Brisbane Road. I'm pretty sure too that it was this game that saw the smallest away following anyone can remember. At kick-off time the North Terrace contained fewer than a dozen Oldham supporters and the decision was taken to close down the terrace and move them into the main stand.

2003: CoCo League - Withdean 2000 2 - 2 Chessington & Hook United - Att: 78
Although a Withdean home game, this match was played at Chessington & Hook's Chalky Lane ground, the only time I have been there. It was the season when heavily bankrolled Withdean had a big backlog of end-of-season fixtures, most of which they won (although not this one) to overhaul AFC Wallingford and AFC Wimbledon and win the championship. They were denied promotion for ground-grading reasons and then folded a year later.

2007: CoCo League - Warlingham 2 - 2 Farnham Town - Att: 91
I struggle to keep up with where Warlingham FC actually play as they seem to alternate between two different grounds on opposite sides of the road. This one, the only time I've been to either ground, was played at Hamsey Green Playing Fields, a somewhat basic venue. Farnham were destined to be champions, although I don't think they clinched it on this Thursday night, and, excellently, a young Farnham supporter was waving a tin-foil covered cardboard replica trophy throughout this match.

2009: Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg - TSV Crailsheim 1 - 4 TSG 1899 Hoffenheim II - Att: 350
I think Robert S and I selected this match for our Saturday entertainment partly on the strength of our copy of Groundhopping Informer quoting an impressively high capacity figure for the Schoneburgstadion. Perhaps it had been rebuilt on a smaller scale or something as it turned out to be a rather modest, but attractive venue. Small lines of terracing along each side, nothing much at the ends and a modern and very yellow stand in the centre of one side. Hoffenheim were supported by a small group of young ultras who made a bit of a nuisance of themselves running onto the pitch, chucking beer bottles around and letting off fireworks. After ignoring numerous verbal warnings the old bill were summoned to stand and glare at them for the last ten minutes.

2010: Regionaliga Sud - SV Darmstadt 98 1 - 2 Eintracht Frankfurt II - Att: c.10,000 I think
I had thought this would be a rather low-key game against Eintracht's amateur XI. I was completely wrong. My bus to the ground halted and we were told to get off and walk "because of the hooligans" blocking the road ahead. Kick-off was delayed to get everyone in and there was an unpleasant atmosphere of tension. Eintracht had brought a huge away following and it was the first time I think that I had seen a big block of ultras all dressed in matching black T-shirts and generally looking quite threatening. It was very clear that there was no love lost between these two clubs. I had to get to the railway station promptly after the game, but it was already resembling a war zone when I got there with riot police in action and broken glass everywhere. Not at all the experience I had anticipated.

2014: Middlesex County League - Interwood 0 - 3 Sporting Hackney - Att: c.31
This match was played at Wadham Lodge in Walthamstow, the 22nd of 27 times I have been there so far. A good match and a result which sealed the league championship for Sporting. It's just a shame there were not more people there to witness it.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Always a sucker for an unusual fixture, especially for a good cause:

Sunday May 15th 1983
Ian Cashmore Benefit Match
Sunderland v Celtic, 3-1, H.T. 2-0, Att 3100
At Shielfield Park, Berwick

Ian Cashmore was a Berwick player who had been paralysed in a training accident earlier that season. A decent striker, his injuries were so severe that he never walked again. A campaign was launched to raise funds for Ian and his family, culminating in Sunderland meeting Celtic in an end of season Friendly at Shielfield Park. Supporters of both teams turned out in good numbers to put on a show worthy of the occasion.

I drove down with a car load. I think we watched from the Main Stand. There was no proper segregation with perhaps two-third of the crowd being Celtic supporters. I always enjoyed visiting Shielfield and the absence of Berwick is a huge blow to Scottish lower league supporters. It was a hugely popular away trip, unlike visits to Cove Rangers out of town lego stadium. The SPFL must be very wary of losing more clubs like Berwick when their replacements bring so little that is attractive to the paying customer.

Both teams fielded full-strength sides. Teams on that sunny Sunday were:

Sunderland: Mark Prudhoe, Mike Whitfield, Ian Munro, Ian Atkins, Gordon Chisholm, Rob Hindmarch, John Cooke, Ally McCoist, Colin West, Leighton James, Nick Pickering. Subs Tommings, Gary Rowell, Mike Buckley
Celtic: Packy Bonner, Danny McGrain, Graeme Sinclair, Roy Aitken, Tom McAdam, Murdo MacLeod, Davie Provan, Paul McStay, Charlie Nicholas, Tommy Burns, Frank McGarvey. Subs Mark Reid, Peter Latchford, David Moyes, George McCluskey, Danny Crainie
Ref: Davie Syme

Sunderland had narrowly avoided relegation but were too good for a jaded-looking Celtic side. Celtic had won 4-2 at Ibrox the previous day against Rangers so I suspect their players had a late night in their hotel. Sunderland had also played the previous day, drawing 1-1 with West Brom. After just three minutes the Wearsiders took the lead. Colin West scored at the back post when he stole away from his marker. The lead was doubled in the 15th minute with West again on target – this time converting a Pickering cross. West completed his hat trick just after half time when he knocked in the rebound after Bonner parried a James shot.

Charlie Nicholas got Celtic’s consolation goal in 65 minutes – in his final appearance for the club before signing for Arsenal. Interestingly the Celts were strongly linked with signing Sunderland’s misfit striker Ally McCoist as his replacement.

It was a good natured occasion with no hint of trouble. Both sets of fans seemed to be enjoying an end-of-season trip to the seaside with the football itself secondary to the good cause and the opportunity for a day on the lash.

There was nice wee programme produced by Berwick Rangers.

Ian’s son, also Ian and pictured on the front of the programme, went on to have a decent career at Senior and Junior level.

Ian died in 2014 and made a huge contribution to football as a Coach. His Obituary can be read here:

cash.jpg

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
1982 - FA Trophy [email protected] - Enfield 1 Altrincham 0 aet - decent game between two of the best non-league teams in the country at that time. Alty had won the Alliance the year before but were mid-table this time, and Enfield finished second this term in their debut Alliance season. Enfield were the better team, but Alty were always dangerous on the break. Taylor scored the winner in extra time in front of a crowd of 18678.

1983 - Serie A - Pisa 0 Fiorentina 0 - we were staying in Firenze on an Inter Rail, and decided to take in this local derby. Unfortunately it confirmed all the cliches about Italian football at the time - the game was boring as hell, there was a red card for an appalling foul by the home side's Massini, and there was the worst violence I've seen at a match afterwards, probably because we had to travel back by train to Firenze. An 85km journey took over four hours, because Pisa fans kept throwing stones and home-made fire bombs at the train. Visiting fans retaliated and the carabinieiri stormed the carriages a few times.
Fiorentina eventually missed out on a UEFA Cup place by a point. They had some big names who had played in the previous year's World Cup - Argentinians Passarella and D.Bertoni, and Italians Cuccureddu, Antognioni and Graziana. But only a point for them here, as Pisa gave as good as they got.

2012 - Southampton Senior Cup [email protected]'s - AFC Stoneham 2 Bush Hill 1 - Hampshire Prem beat Southampton League champs in a fairly close game - Hall gave Stoneham a first half lead which Beck extended soon after the break. But the visitors came back, reduced the deficit, and pressed for the equaliser which didn't come. Both teams have gone on to better things.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Cheshire Building Society Cheshire Senior Cup Final Replay (@ Northwich Victoria FC)

Macclesfield Town v Witton Albion 2-0

1993 Bass North West Counties League Division Two Atherton Collieries v Maghull 1-5

1995 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Holyhead Town v Locomotive Llanberis 2-3 No prog

Played on the ground next to the current Holyhead Hotspur ground. It was a railed enclosed pitch but nothing more. It is still there as far as I know. Indeed it may have been further developed and used by another club. Holyhead Town disappeared as a name a few years later.

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Henllan Won 2-5

1998 Green Contract Services Mid Cheshire League Division One Barnton v Bramhall 4-1

Prog courtesy of Andy Sneddon as I recall. Barnton did not normally issue back then. They may have stopped now too? A decent turnout for this evening encounter.

1999 Westward Developments Devon League Appledore v Budleigh Salterton 1-4 Prog yes

Always an outpost for this league. It was a bright hot sunny late season Saturday. Pleasant ground if not one of the classics. Now in the North Devon League I think.

2000 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division British Aerospace v Castell Alun Colts 0-1

Pre Airbus days and before they moved the pitch to the current site. I am sure there was some overlap from the two though. They moved the bowling green and put the pitch where that used to be. Doubt there was a prog for this but they did sometimes issue.

2001 Finnair Manchester League Premier Division Failsworth Town v Prestwich Heys 2-2 No prog

A railed pitch. Failsworth are longer playing at this level, if at any.

2004 Notts. Alliance Senior Division Clifton v Nottinghamshire Police 0 a 0

Match abandoned after 16 mins. Following serious injury to Clifton player home team refused to continue unless offender was dismissed. Ref only cautioned him. The players therefore walked off the pitch. The game was abandoned but in the end was reinstated as a result)

The injury was a broken leg and it required the air ambulance so there was a significant delay but the fuss all started after the injured player was taken to hospital. The result mattered as the Police were going for the title. It was held in abeyance until the end of the season with the Police clinching the title on the final day of the season (a game I also attended). As a result the outcome of this game mattered not so it went down as a 0-0 result. I don’t think they issued. Went back for a hop game

2007 Frank Armitt Liverpool County FA Premier League Division One B.R.N.E.S.C. v Vision 5-2

An enclosed roped off ground which was far from the worst for this league, which offered some basic facilities at times (much improved these days I think). I can’t remember what the acronym stood for but it was definitely railway related, so perhaps some out there can answer that?

2009 Silver Star Holidays Gwynedd League Gaerwen v Llanystymdwy 1-2

A really neat little ground in Central Anglesey. Prog Yes.

Surridge Gloucetsershire County League DRG Stapleton v Brimscombe & Thrupp (T209) 0-3

Surridge Gloucetsershire County League Patchway Town v Ellwood (T210) 4-2

Two railed pitches. Progs at both.

2013 Mercian Regional League Division One Oswestry Boys Girls Club v Rock Rovers 1-3

A really smart venue. Railed off and well looked after. No longer used for Saturday football as far as I know. Not far from the TNS ground, but even further out of town. No prog

2015 Ladbrookes Challenge Cup Sixth Round Dewsbury Rams v Warrington Wolves Won 10-52

I had put off visiting Dewsbury’s ‘new’ ground for years in the hope we would draw them and it finally happened. Easy win as the score suggests with the normal Dewsbury welcome evident!!! Tidy enough ground if probably not up to Super League level, but not a million miles off either. A few decent pubs visited post match. Don’t think there was time pre hostilities.

2018 North East Wales League Acton v Plas Madoc 0-3 An open field but with just one pitch. No prog

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 2.
Leicester City 0 Shrewsbury Town 0. (11,368)

A Nottingham Double..
12:30.
Division 1.
Nottm For 1 Luton Town 1 (13,106)

Div 3 Play Off SF 1.
Notts County 1 Walsall 3.
Adm. £4.50.
Att. 11.822.

Mid Comb Premier.
Bloxwich Town 1 Barwell 3.(19)

Regionalliga Nord.
RB Leipzig 2 Hallescher 0.
Adm. €10.
Prog. Free.
Att. 3,658.

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1985 Cup Winners Cup final in de Kuip, Rotterdam
Everton 3 Rapid Vienna 1 Att 35,000

Living for a year in northern France meant easy access into Belgium and ultimately the Netherlands for this European final. I had turned up without a ticket hoping to get a spare one off an Everton fan but I need not have bothered worrying as they were selling tickets from a couple of booths outside the ground(imagine that happening today)so didn’t need to pay an inflated price and sit with a load of pissed up scousers 😀.
Everton must have had 20,000 or so fans there and Rapid about 12,000 with the rest being neutrals and this created an excellent atmosphere as most of the fans were there to actively support their team rather than being there on a corporate jolly. I was nominally supporting Everton as the English team and also because Rapid had cheated their way past Celtic in an earlier round when one of their players had pretended to be hit by a bottle and got a game replayed.
The first half was quite cagey with Everton on top but half time came and went with no goals. The second half was better with Andy Gray giving the Toffees the lead after 56 minutes which meant that the Austrians had to come out of defence more and Trevor Steven added a second with about 20 minutes to go. The only worry came when veteran striker Hans Krankl pulled a goal back with 5 minutes to go which got the Rapid fans roaring again but Everton went straight down the other end and Sheedy got a third to kill the game off and it ended 3-1.
After the game some Feyenoord fans tried to intimidate me on the local train back into town by telling me I shouldn’t have been there if I wasn’t a fan of either team(not quite sure what their excuse was)but I managed to shake them off and get a fast train out of town in case the celebrations got out of hand and got to the border town of Roosendaal where I stayed the night before going into Belgium for another game the next day. I did think about going to the Heysel for the European cup final but decided to give it a swerve as the hassles of getting a ticket might prove too much, thank God I made that decision.

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Division Three Promotion Play-off Semi-final Leg 1
Bristol City 1-0 Sheffield United
Attendance: 25,335

The first of FIVE playoff games that City played at the end of the 1987-88 season! I'll mention them all now rather than four more postings.

These were the days when one team from the higher division was given a chance to avoid relegation, and it was Sheffield United who had finished finished four points clear of one-from-bottom Reading and two points from safety. This meant that the United supporters blamed Bristol City personally for relegating them and made leaving Bramall Lane four days later, after a one-all draw, quite a dangerous manoeuvre.

We then went into a two-legged final against Walsall with both teams winning away. Walsall won 3-1 at Ashton Gate and then City won 2-0 at Fellows Park after extra time. With away goals not counting double at any point, we went to penalties. But these weren't to decide who got promoted, it just decided who hosted the replay. We didn't have a good record for penalty shootouts and so predictably we ended up going back to Walsall two days later on the late May Bank Holiday Monday. We got walloped 4-0, and had to wait another two years before we achieved promotion automatically.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Leek CSOB v Redgate Clayton 1-1
Refuge Assurance League Cup final
@Norton Utd

Eton Wick v Harrow Hill Rovers 4-1
Bon Accord League Cup final
@Henley Tn

Sheffield Utd v Nottingham Forest 4-3
Division 1 Play off 1/4 final second leg
Blades won 5-4 on agg.

Horbury Cherry Tree v Thornhill 4-0
Wakefield and District League

Rose of York v AFC Shepherds Arms 0-2
Wakefield and District League D2
Rose played at Carter's Playing Fields, Batley on Pitch 2

Northside Atlantic v Hartland 1-0
N.Devon Int 1

Appledore Academy v Woolsery 3-1
N.Devon Int 2

Park Utd v Hartland Clovelly 10-0
N.Devon Prem

Shamwickshire Rvrs v Torrington 1-3
N.Devon Prem

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Both teams fielded full-strength sides. Teams on that sunny Sunday were:

Sunderland: Mark Prudhoe, Mike Whitfield, Ian Munro, Ian Atkins, Gordon Chisholm, Rob Hindmarch, John Cooke, Ally McCoist, Colin West, Leighton James, Nick Pickering. Subs Tommings, Gary Rowell, Mike Buckley
Celtic: Packy Bonner, Danny McGrain, Graeme Sinclair, Roy Aitken, Tom McAdam, Murdo MacLeod, Davie Provan, Paul McStay, Charlie Nicholas, Tommy Burns, Frank McGarvey. Subs Mark Reid, Peter Latchford, David Moyes, George McCluskey, Danny Crainie
Ref: Davie Syme
"Tommings" is Stan Cummins. My records show that Pat O'Donnell (a midfielder who only appeared for the first team in friendlies) was also on the bench

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Thanks for that. The copy taker at The Herald obviously wasn’t tuned in to the Berwick accent!

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have 24 matches listed for 15 May, with the highest crowd in the first of these.

1982 - Altrincham 0-1 Enfield (18,678), FA Trophy final, 115th minute goal wins it
1985 - Bangor City 1-2 Northwich Victoria (5,805). also the FA Trophy final, but in this case the replay at Stoke City
1988 - Blackburn Rovers 0-2 Chelsea (16,568). Second division play off, semi final, first leg. Goals from Gordon Durie and Pat Nevin gave Chelsea the advantage. They won the second leg as well, but then lost to Middlesbrough in the final. In those early days with the numbers in the top division being reduced, a team could get relegated via the play-offs, and this is what happened to Chelsea. Looking back, I noted the two Blackburn substitutes and their various careers. One already had World and FA Cup winners medals, the other would sign a three year contract with Cheltenham, (cancelled after one year and two games). Step forward Osvardo Ardilles and Keith Hill

1989 - the trip was Paris Friday, Ajax Saturday, Dusseldorf Sunday and now back to the Netherlands for the holiday Monday. The early game was Volendam 3-1 Sparta Rotterdam (3000) in the Eredivisie and was followed by AZ 0-0 Excelsior in the Eerste. I do not have the crowd figure for the second game. The Eredivisie was added for this (and for 1993) from voetbal.com

1992 - Another case for picking up grounds near the end of their life, in this case, Symingtons in Harborough. The occasion was the final of the Harborough Charity Cup and I do not have a figure for how many watched North Kilworth take the cup, thanks to three extra time goals which gave them a 5-2 victory over Lutterworth Town

1993 - Back in the Netherlands for another double. On this occasion it was out to Katwijk for the early game. It was a play-off (the three Saturday champions playing against each other before the winner would meet a Sunday game), so I know it was a good crowd, maybe around 5000. At the start of the day, I had no idea I could do this, but I spoke to someone at the bus offices outside Amsterdam station and they looked up the bus timetables to get to Katwijk, and then back to Rotterdam.
Katwijk 3-0 Lunteren, and Sparta Rotterdam 2-5 PSV. Without doubt, the second game belonged to Romario, but the paper gave man of the match to Stanley Matthews, who was there to open a museum and took a ceremonial kick off. I briefly stood next to him at half time, but could not get the nerve to ask if he knew the English result of the day. I later found out it was Arsenal 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday.

1994 - Briefly mentioned yesterday, I got up early and needed a taxi to get t Inverness airport, which is well out of town. All went smoothly and I made it to Andover in time to see New Street 0-1 Colden Common (60) in the Hampshire League. The car load that took me between Ross and Inverness after the previous evening's game also safely made it to this one.

1995 - Littlemoor 1-5 Cheadle Heath Nomads (70), Mid-Cheshire League Division 2. I remember nothing, but records show Nomads as 2-0 up in the first half, when the Littlemoor keeper went off injured. Paul Milner then added a second half hat-trick before the home side pulled one back

2003 - Radcliffe Olympic 5-2 Ruddington United (60)

2004 - Como 1-3 Bari (1295). Serie B. After Eschborn, I took an overnight train to Milan, where I met up with a group of Cheltenham fans in their hotel. After making jokes about my unkempt state, we headed up to Como, where we sat outside a restaurant, enjoying the sunshine until the owner complained that we had drank his entire stock of red wine. Surprisingly, we could still walk and made it to the stadium. The local police did not know what to do with a small group (about 8) wearing colours that were not of either team, so for the first half, they segregated us at one end of a large terrace. After he break, I think they gave up and let us mix with the home fans. 2-0 to Bari at half time, with Como pulling one back early in the second period, but then having Rossini sent off, allowing Bari to make it safe late on

2005 - A play-off double Sunday in Belgium. The first game was the Brabant 2 Provincial play offs and saw Verbroedering Hofstade beat Butsel 2-0 (250) while the second match, was in the interprovincial play offs, (teams from the top provincial leagues and the fourh division). This again was a win for Verbroedering, in this case Verbroedering Meldert who were the away team at Meux and won 3-1 (400).

2008 - An unusual one for me, as Mattersburg Amateur were the home team, playing in the very small village of Hirm. The visitors St. Polten (first team) were to win this Regionalliga game 4-2 (400). We (I think it was Abbswolf, Kevin and Paul) in another small town nearby, and while we could get to the game easily enough, getting back was a problem. We asked the hotelier for advice on arrival, and was told it was no problem as he was a Mettersburg supporter and going to the game, so he would find someone to take us back!

2009 - Bayern Hof 1-4 Weiden (Bayernliga). A grand old ground, The result confirmed Weiden as Bayernliga champions for the season

P5150094 m.JPG

2010 - Having reached Inverurie the day before, getting to Banff was no problem. With matches kicking off at 12 noon and 2.30, I did not think it would be much problem getting between the grounds of Deveronvale and Deveronside. In the first game, the Highland league side (Vale) beat Cove Rangers 3-0 (220, £6 to get in, £1.50 for the programme), while aftewards, the Junior side (Side) lost 4-1 to Islavale (60, free admission, no programme). I was not the only one doing the double, some locals including Vale substitute Craig Cowie made it to the second half. Cowie was there in time to be a starter in the second game, (up to this point, I did not think a player could play Senior and Junior, giving his proper name in both, on the same day). The picture is from Deveronside's Canal Park, with the stand of the 'Vale's Princess Royal Park next door.

P1000483 m.JPG

2011 - Another country, another double. This was with a small travelling party of three Holders and a Twinning, (all Cheltenham people). Jurmala is a seaside resort easily reached from Riga, and is a pleasant place on a Sunny Sunday, We then got a bus out to a residential area, to see the Jurmala derby. It was a big stadium, but quite difficult to find. Close by there is an area of woodland. Why do Jurmala fans go to the woods at half time. Well, they are not bears, for a start. Many of the fans left a stash of beers outside the stadium (as they would not be allowed to bring it inside), and hence left the ground to get a drink, slowly returning after half time. about 350 present to see FK Jurmala win 2-0 in the stadium the clubs shared. It would be FC Jurmala, the nominal home team here that would finish higher in the table. Afterwards, we headed back to Riga, and onto the Skonto stadium to see the Latvian Cup final, in which Ventspils would beat Liepajas Metalurgs by 3-1. Some of the pictures from this can be seen as tweet of the day. At the end of the evening, we stayed at the stadium watching the teams pack up and seeing the cup taken onto the bus. Eventually we got thrown out so as they could close the bar!. Attendance 1112

2012 - Tarporley Victoria 2-3 Pilkington (14), Cheshire League. P1050223 m.JPG

2013 - Zlate Moravce 2-1 Zilina. Slovakian League (1174), with Abbswolf
2014 - Saint Gallen 2-0 Sion (11,268), Swiss Super League, with Oftenscore6

2018 - SV Wildon 1-2 Furstenfeld (200), Landesliga Steiermark. Kevin, Abbswolf and I spent most of the day trying to work out if the GAK ground was one that the others had been to before, (in my case, it was a new ground, regardless). Even messages exchanged with Hoddy turned up with what was in fact the wrong answer. But then, just before we were fixed to the game in Graz, we discovered it was off, thanks to brilliantly regular updates on the Austrian FA phone app. So it was a short train ride, and a fair walk out to this game which had been identified as an alternate.

IMG_20180515_181632 m.jpg

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
1985 Cup Winners Cup final in de Kuip, Rotterdam
Everton 3 Rapid Vienna 1 Att 35,000

Living for a year in northern France meant easy access into Belgium and ultimately the Netherlands for this European final. I had turned up without a ticket hoping to get a spare one off an Everton fan but I need not have bothered worrying as they were selling tickets from a couple of booths outside the ground(imagine that happening today)
Yes, rather surprising. Perhaps UEFA stopped match-day sales for big finals from 1986 onwards because of Heysel?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks