May 16th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The first Academy Awards ceremony in Hollywood was held on May 16 1929, the event took 15 minutes to complete, and the best film was "Wings"

Whether your sporting event was an award winner or not, lets hear about it here

The vulture

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog

One of the all-time great albums released by Bob Dylan.

For anyone unfamiliar with it just type "Blonde on Blonde" into Google......and enjoy.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 16th May 1993
Bury 0 York City 0
Football League, Division Three, Play-Off Semi-Final, First Leg (3.0)
Attendance 6,620
Programme £1 (24pp)

Happier times at Gigg Lane. Bury scrambled into the play-offs because they had a superior goal difference to Lincoln City. York City, who finished three places higher, with 12 points more, provided the opposition.

Shakers manager Mike Walsh hadn’t expected to play beyond the regular season. In the programme’s From the Top column, he wrote: “To say we are surprised to be taking part in this game, when last Saturday Northampton were 2-0 down at Shrewsbury, is an understatement. That result shows everyone that it is true that the game is never over until the final whistle. I was sat [sic] at home in front of the teletext scanning the channels for news of that game, not thinking that Northampton would score three goals in the second half. We now have got to make sure that we do not let our chance of promotion slip with the two exciting games against York and a Wembley trip for the visitors at stake.”

Walsh, coincidentally, was the subject of the programme’s Spotlight feature. Revelations included his pre-match meal was baked beans and egg on toast; Deepdale his least favourite ground (“the astroturf should be dug up”); “signing Dave Jones” his biggest risk; Ian Greaves one of the biggest influences on his career; and Manchester United were the team ‘Walshy’ supported as a youngster.

According to the Third Dimension feature, an insurance company would be paying out £1.4m in bonuses to the players of champions Cardiff City, whose owner, Rick Wright, had taken £165,000 of cover at the start of the season. Bluebirds were promoted alongside Wrexham (second) and Barnet (third). My, how fortunes change!

I cannot remember why I watched this encounter – or, indeed, the second leg at Bootham Crescent. At the time, I was living near Stokesley. Having just seen my team, Halifax Town, relegated to the wilderness of the Conference, I really ought to have had enough of Division Three for one season.

Teams:

Shakers: Gary Kelly, Derek Ward, Roger Stanislaus, Ian Hughes, Peter Valentine, Alan Knill, David Adekola (Darren Lyons, 84), Tony Rigby, Andy Reid, Ian Stevens, Liam Robinson. Sub (not used): Lee Anderson.

Minstermen: Dean Kiely, Andy McMillan, Paul Stancliffe, Paul Atkin, Wayne Hall, Jon McCarthy, Nigel Pepper, Gary Swann, Tony Canham, Paul Barnes, Ian Blackstone. Subs (not used): Steve Tutill, John Borthwick.

Referee: David Elleray (Harrow).

York goalkeeper Dean Kiely denied Bury a first leg advantage. Kiely made two excellent saves during the first half from Nigeria international David Adekola. After the break, he turned aside a Roger Stanislaus 25-yarder then thwarted Derek Ward in a one-on-one. York, playing for the first time in three weeks, left two of three scoring opportunities until the last couple of minutes. Gary Kelly blocked an Ian Blackstone header before the Shakers keeper did even better, pulling off a double save from Bobby Barnes. City’s earlier chance, mopped up in the 61st minute by Alan Knill, had fallen to Tony Canham, who was playing only after receiving painkilling injections in his right foot.

For some reason, I have York Evening Press sports editor Malcolm Huntington’s match report tucked in the programme. He declared: “While it was never a classic game, as one would expect with so much at stake, it contained far more good football in a real cup tie atmosphere than I had anticipated.” The Press’s headline read: ‘Dean of York answers City’s play-off prayers’.

Other football:

Golcar United 2 Wibsey 3 (2009, West Riding County Amateur League, Premier Division). Catching up on a fixture backlog caused by a wintry January, this league was still in action. Nothing at stake but a lively encounter, nonetheless. I – and the 33 others present – should have expected goals: in the preceding round of midweek games, Wibsey had trounced Meltham Athletic 9-5 while Golcar drew 3-3 at Hall Green United. In its pre-North West Counties League phase, Longfields Recreation Ground was a very basic enclosure, though it offered fine views of the Colne Valley and the Victoria Tower, a Kirklees landmark. The village of Golcar (pronounced Go-ka) is noted for its multi-floor weavers’ cottages (the excellent Colne Valley Museum occupies several) but none are visible from the football ground. Golcar should have had the points sewn up in the opening quarter. Wibsey capitalised on the home team’s wastefulness when, in the 28th minute, unmarked skipper Chris Wood picked his spot after being found by Oliver Purdy. Within two minutes, Adam Johnson, who had just cleared the crossbar with a fierce drive, finished crisply to level the score. The busy Simon Ollerenshaw (67) completed the turnaround with a well-struck free kick which clipped a defender’s shins on the way in. As cloud barrelling in from the west released torrential rain, Wibsey stole victory with goals from Damien Melvin (80) and Pat Hollinger (85).

Other sports:

Cricket at Foss Evening League Westow (2018) and Bradford League Lightcliffe (2015). The Division One fixture at Lightcliffe was my first as a ‘reborn’ cricket spectator. It’s the favourite sport of my wife, a former scorer. Lovely set-up on the eastern fringe of Halifax. The wooden pavilion, painted red and white, is a gem. A number of the 45 spectators, including our party of three, ate tea in the pavilion alongside the players. On a chilly afternoon, Pudsey Congs thrashed by 172 runs a Lightcliffe side forced to bat with 10 owing to an injury sustained fielding. It was rather less serious Third Division T20 stuff at Westow, a charming village ground high above the Derwent Valley. In glorious sunshine, to a whimsical backdrop of ploughing, Thixendale beat Westow by five runs. Ten watching.

Stoke Potters 49 Sheffield Tigers 41 (1998, speedway, Premier League Cup, Northern Section). I always enjoyed my visits to Loomer Road, a decent racetrack which closed its doors for good earlier this year. Speedway was launched at the Chesterton circuit in 1973. Stoke had a chequered history but at this time were members of the sport’s second tier. Potters rallied from a sluggish start - they trailed 4-8 after two heats - to clinch victory with a race to spare. Paul Pickering (11+2), Dane Richard Juul (11+1), Neil Collins (9+1) and Martin Dixon (9) were Stoke’s leading lights. No 1 Carl Stonehewer (17), Estonian reserve Rene Aas (7) and Tommy Palmer (7) kept Sheffield in the hunt. Unfortunately for Tigers, heat leader Scott ‘Scud’ Smith (4 from 4) had an off night.

Middlesbrough Bears 50 Long Eaton Invaders 39 (1991, speedway, British League, Division Two, Gold Cup). This was less than a year before I landed a job on Teesside. In 1991, to get a speedway fix, on occasional Thursdays I would leave early from my Cumbria office and trail over to Cleveland Park. Bears picked up a bonus point for winning on aggregate despite being without Australian Mark Lemon, who was sidelined for six weeks after breaking a collarbone in a track crash at Sheffield four days previously. Lemon’s countryman, Dave Cheshire, top-scored for Bears with 13+1 but the home team’s real matchwinner was reserve Simon Green, who contributed 9+1. Not for the first time, classy Dane Jan Staechmann (17) led the Long Eaton challenge. Carl Blackbird (9+2) provided most support.

Attachments

Last edited:

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
1984 - Liverpool Senior Cup Final
South Liverpool 2-1 Liverpool Reserves
Around 2,000 in attendance

Even though a decade or two had passed since Shankly's cheeky quip that Merseyside had two great teams, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves, this was still probably the strongest side I ever saw South play against. As usual, Liverpool had already won the Central League and, unlike nowadays, the Senior Cup was more than just a kickabout for the kids. Under the management of Chris Lawler, their line up included Phil Thompson, Gary Gillespie, Jim Beglin, David Hodgson, Paul Jewell and Bob Bolder. Memory might be playing tricks but I think Steve Nicol played too, possibly Michael Robinson as well. Another who definitely played was David West, a young forward signed from Dorchester Town who didn't make the grade at Anfield and quickly disappeared back into non-league.

This was also the biggest crowd I ever saw at Holly Park, emulating the 1,500 or so who'd attended the semi final against Everton the previous week. Nothing compared to the old days, when four (and occasionally five) figure crowds were the norm, but after many years of struggle these were heady days for South, clocking their best post-war season with a 3rd place finish in the league and the Lancashire Junior and NPL cups already in the trophy cabinet.

Days before the game the local vandals had once again torched the stand and, before kick off, Phil Thompson received a cheque for £150 on behalf of the club from a local businessman to help with repairs. Nice touch, though the damage was extensive.

Despite a promising start with South hitting the woodwork and having one disallowed, Liverpool led at half time, Paul Jewell tucking home unmarked on 40. But South rallied after the break and, on 48, club stalwart Phil McFerran headed an equaliser in off the post, and as an Evertonian he certainly enjoyed the moment! Liverpool were rattled during that second half - I recall Thommo in particular getting very irate with how things were going - and Danny Atwere duly finished them off on 64. The Reds pressed hard for the equaliser but South held on to clinch an unimaginable treble.

A fortnight later Bolder, Gillespie, Hodgson, Nicol and Robinson filled the Liverpool bench for their European Cup Final win in Rome, clinching their own treble. But joy was short-lived for South as boss Bryan Griffiths moved on that summer, the team broke up, the burden of repairing the stand spilled into the following season (seriously threatening our league status) and normal service on the pitch resumed in 84/5.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Manweb Cymru Alliance Caersws v Flint Town United 4-1
One of the lads at work played for Flint. He did not have a good game. A pleasant venue and the only time I have been to a game here. I think there was a programme.

1993 Richard The Builders Mid Wales League Morda United v Kington Town 4-0
A great ground for the level. Club sold real ale too. They normally issued.

1994 North West Counties Champions v Cup Winners
Atherton Laburnum Rovers v Rossendale United 2-0

1995 North Wales Joinery Cymru Alliance Buckley Town v Cefn Druids 0-2

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Brymbo v Ruthin Town 2-0

1997 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Lex XI v Penrhyncoch 3-5

1998 West Yorkshire League Premier Division Knaresborough Town v Beeston St. Anthony's 1-1 Prog yes

2000 Gwynedd League Bethesda Athletic v Blaenau Ffestiniog Amateurs
Great ground. No prog

2001 Finnair Manchester League Premier Division Springhead v Willows 1-1
Tidy enclosed & railed off ground – no prog

2002 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llangynhafl Lost 3-4

2006 Nizam-Druid Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Cefn United v Chirk Amateur Athletic Association 0-1

2015 Nathaniel Car Sales Welsh League Division Three Treowen Stars v Bridgend Street 1-3
What a location. Down the lanes and then up those steps. I recommend this one. Great valleys scenery. Prog yes.

2018 Vale of Clwyd & Conwy League Division One Betws-y-Coed v Rhuddlan Town 0-3
The village green in effect but very pleasant and a small pitch. Plenty of hoppers. Prog via Len S

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
2011 - Rushall Olympic 3 Ellesmere Rangers 0 (HT 1-0) - Walsall Senior Cup Final
My 1st of 2 visits to the Bescot Stadium - Attendance 408

I went to the 2012 final that had an attendance of 405 so very close to the 408 there was on this day a year earlier. The oddest thing for me was why Ellesmere Rangers compete in this competition. They are based nowhere near Walsall - over 50 miles away in the North West of Shropshire, almost in Wales. At the time I hadn't really heard of them as they played in the Midland Alliance, way off my radar. But they were not only in it, but in the Final, and as I arrived, a coachload of their fans arrived, so they were well supported. Rushall manager got the Evo-Stik Div 1 South Manager of the Month before KO. Rushall's last game was the Play-Off Final, won 2 weeks earlier. Ellesmere had been waiting 3 days longer, since 30 April for the game.

Despite being the underdogs, Ellesmere did have the best chance at 0-0 when they hit the post on 35 mins. Rushall though did take the lead 2 mins from the break - a great Ahmed Obeng run, found Lei Brown who only needed to tap it in. On the hour it was Obeng again dominating as he passed again to Lei Brown who made it 2-0. Finally 82 mins, the perfect ending as Ahmed Obeng got a goal of his own as he slammed it past the keeper. Ellesmere managed to miss a blatant open goal in the dying moments. So Rushall won it 3-0 with Ahmed Obeng the star - exactly the same as 12 months later.

2019 - Feniscowles & Pleasington 4 Waddington 0 (HT 1-0) - East Lancashire League President’s Cup Final
My 4th of 4 visits to The Arbories, Padiham - Attendance 220

This was my first visit to Padiham's ground in 10 years. Still very smart and well maintained - and still a slopey pitch. Very good crowd I thought, and car park was full even though I arrived in lots of time for KO. Overall a great night - a scenic ground if you stand opposite the main stands. It started off very warm in the sunshine but went cold very quickly when the sun dipped behind the hills. The game started off like it was going to be a goalfest with F&P taking the lead on 2 mins... but then it petered out quite quickly and we didn't see too much goalmouth activity right up to half time. Second half was similar and it looked like F&P would just hold on for the tight win. But the game livened up in the final quarter with a red card for Waddington's number 3, and a FK just outside the area, and it was 2-0 on 77 mins. 3-0 five minutes later as Waddington's hopes pretty much ended. Then 4-0 in the last couple of mins.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
By 1993, I was living on the Isle Of Wight, and trips back up to Swansea were becoming occasional rather than regular. However, with Frank Burrows - one of my all-time favourite managers - by now ensconced at the Vetch Field, I jumped at the chance of a ticket for this one, even though it took place on the same day that Pompey were playing their own first-leg play-off against Leicester at the City Ground...

Sunday 16th May 1993 ~
Second Division play-off semi-final first leg
Swansea City 2-1 West Bromwich Albion

I'm still not entirely sure why I chose this play-off over the Pompey one, except that Saturday nights out in Swansea have a certain appeal if you're still in your twenties, making a long weekend of it.

Swans had finished a dozen points behind West Brom, yet for over an hour they seemed so much on top of the visitors at a Vetch Field where the rain chucked it down for most of the day. Unfortunately, Andy McFarlane scored a depressingly comical own-goal late on that knocked a big hole in the previous atmosphere of raucous confidence on the North Bank - going to The Hawthorns with a two-goal lead would have given Swans a great chance of a first-ever trip to Wembley, but letting in that late away goal seemed to leave us all gutted to a much greater extent than perhaps it should've. (Looking it up now, McFarlane's own-goal was as early as the 72nd minute - oddly, I seem to have always wrongly remembered it as being in the final five minutes or so).

I opted out of the offer of a ticket for Wednesday night's away second-leg, feeling that I really ought to be down Fratton Park instead for Pompey's semi (a decision that probably had as much to do with available spare cash than any finely balanced loyalties). It'd have been much of a muchness in the end, with both Swans and Pompey each stumbling to their own dismal failures on the same evening. However, perhaps I did make the wrong decision - West Brom fans still claim that the atmosphere at their second-leg was among the greatest nights The Hawthorns has ever seen. That, though, is another story for someone else to tell...

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1981/82 Bishops Stortford 1 Sutton United 0 (22,578 FA Trophy Final
2008/09 Spurs 2 Manchester City 1 (36,000) Prem Lge
2014/15 Spurs 2 Hull City 0 (35,857) Prem Lge

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Saturday @ 15-30.

Austria top tier.
Austria Lustenau 2 v 3 Grazer A K.
@ Reichshofstadium.

Austia Lustenau - Martin Unger , Markus Enzebner , Helgi Kolvidsson , Roger Prinzen , Harald Schroll , Petar Kosturkov , Harald Durr , Peter Letocha , Hans Kleer , Pavao , Tamas Tiefenbach (2).
Subs - Kleber for Schroll , Helmut Lorenz for Durr , Joachim Moitzi for Kosturkov.
Manager - Edi Stohr.

Grazer AK - Mario Krassnitzer , Andreas Lipa , Anton Ehmann (1) , Jurgen Hartmann , Zeljko Vukovic , Dietar Ramusch , Ales Ceh , Boban Dmitrovic (1) , Enrico Kulovits (1) , Herbert Wieger , Zeljko Radovic.
Subs - Stipe Brnas for Ehmann , Walther Eccher for Radovic , Ewald Brenner for Wieger.
Manager - Klaus Augenthaler.

Referee - Erwin Hansel.

THEN.

Saturday @ 19-30.

Switzerland top tier.(Championship Round).
St Gallen 1 v 1 Sion.
Stade Espenmoos. (R/V).

St Gallen - Jorg Stiel , Marco Zwyssig , Marc Zellwegger , David Sene (1) , Georgi Slavchev , Ivan dal Santo , Patrick Buhlmann , Willco Hellinga , Hakan Yakin , Edvaldo , Edwin Vurens.
Subs - Sascha Muller for Edvaldo , Jonathan Vidalle for Slavchev , Vincenzo Zinna for Yakin.
Manager - Roger Hegi.

Sion - Daniel Ancay , Alexandre Quennoz , Gregory Duruz , Yvan Quentin , Milton , Gerardo Seoane , Alain Gaspoz , Johann Lonfat , Pascal Camadini , Frederic Chassot , Ahmed Outtara.
Sub - James Derivaz for Seoane.
Manager - Jochen Dries.

Referee - Urs Meier.

Another InterRail in the days I could make decent use of them , looks like a flight to Dusseldorf ( not that much choice in them days ) as first and last days were at 08/05 Norderstedt 2 v 1 Vfl Hamburg (518) and 07/06 Gutersloh 1 v 1 Furth (6,00) with a 4 day break in Casablanca mid tour.

Last game day in Austria with the game in Lustenau and nothing to play for for Lustenau , Grazer AK could finish as runners up depending on Rapids result , Rapid won 2-0 at Tirol and GAK finished 3rd with a UEFA Cup place booked.
GAK had a tremendous first half and went into the break 3-0 up , there must have been a hell of a lot of flying cups in the Lustenau dressing room as they came out and had pulled 2 back by the 70th minute. Tiefenbach scored both and had chances along with others to get at least a draw in the last 20 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrived in ample time at Espenmoos , St Gallen for a revisit for me , don't usually bother with revisits especially when on long trips but it must have had something to do with fellow travellers.

This was the penultimate game in the Championship Round, St Gallen were chasing an Inter Toto spot while Sion were looking for a UEFA spot.

Not the best of games , 0-0 at half time , St Gallen opened the scoring 10 mins into the second half and it was not until a few minutes from the end that Sion equalised.
In the last round Sion still had a chance of UEFA Cup but results on the day meant both they and St Gallen ended up in the Inter Toto.

32 x games , 1 x double , I x 0-0.
Print Collection - Wings Movie Poster | Movie posters vintage, Old ...

Last edited:

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
On this date (May 16th) I went to just this game:
1992 - Viking Sports 2 Merstham 2 (Combined counties league premier)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I did a bit of looking forward, and it seems quite rare for the number of ground ticks to equal the number of games seen - even at this stage of the season. So for May 16, I have 22 games and 19 new grounds.

The revisits,
Wembley - for the 1981 FA Trophy Final, Sutton United 0-1 Bishops Stortford. At 22,578 it is my best attendance for the date

Tickhill Square - just a week after watching Denaby United play Bridlington Trinity, I was back to see the Northern Counties (East) League Cup Final for 1986. 380 down as watching Sutton Town beat Bradley Rangers 1-0

Hohe Warte - even closer between games, as I went to a double header at the ground, two matches in the Regionalliga Ost. In the first, Rapid Wien Amateur beat Schwechat 2-0 (500), and this was followed by the traditional users of the ground, First Vienna, who beat Zwettl 2-0 (1400). Only a programme for the second game. Stan does not contemplate the extra game and turned up to see the second match only. The Hohe Warte was once a massive bowl of a ground, and what appears to be grass banks is in fact overgrown terrace. The new stands having been bolted to the lower parts. This can be seen as tweet of the day.

The tweet is a double feature, as I also wanted to give a mention to the third day of the three day Highland trip in 2010. Having seen Inverurie Locos on the Friday, they then travelled North on the Sunday to play at Wick Academy. About 180 in the ground as Wick won 2-1

With the FA Trophy turning out the best attendance on the list, there were two others in the five figure category, in 2009, I went to Salzburg to the new ground to see Salzburg take on LASK and win 2-1. The crowd was 17,800. The result left Salzburg 7 points ahead of Rapid with two to play, but they did not take the title until a day later when Rapid were beaten in Ried

In 2004, it was Serie A, and 15,435 at Stade Ennio Tardini to see Parma AC . All the goals were in the second half, with Udinese scoring first and Alberto Gilardino getting all four for the home team. Benito Carbone, then 33 years old was the other home forward.

A couple of co-incidentals in successive years. In both 2000, and 2001, the matches were in the Essex Intermediate League, Division 2 and both show estimated crowds at 30. The first was Mountnessing 6-1 Harold Wood Athletic and the second was Upminster 1-3 Benfleet.

In 2013 and 2014, I saw scoreless draws at the fourth level in Austria. The first of these was in the Wien Stadtliga, as Favoritner and Nussdorfer played out the draw (150), while a year later I was in the entirely different surrounds of the Tirol Liga to see Kundl and Reutte (190). This is KundlP1070116 m.JPG

Heading backwards in time, and having mentioned five games in Austria, it is only fair to mention that there was a sixth, at Kapfenberg, where Bad Bleiberg were beaten 3-0 (1870).

The two Essex games were shown with attendances of 30, while Essex League at Purfleet (1987) only reached 42, the home side beating Maldon Town 6-0. Another Essex ground, West Bergholt is one of two missing attendances. This is for the 1992 Essex & Suffolk Border League game in which they beat Stanway Rovers 8-2

Lowest recorded crowd though was at Eldorado Close, Studley, where in 1985, Studley Sporting beat Polesworth NW by 1-0

The other missing crowd is for Lommelse against Genk in 1993, which may have been a decent figure as Lommelse needed the points. Lommelse started the game level on points with Lokeren, and their 4-2 win, while Lokeren drew with Cercle Brugge kept them one place above the drop zone.

A year ago today, I was starting a Euro tour, with Winterhur in Switzerland, 2600 present despite nothing on it for the home team. Chiasso only had a handful of fans travelling up from the Swiss border, They needed a win to move them up from last place in the division, but were never good enough here, with Winterhur winning 2-0. This is the curious supporters bar

P1050353 m.JPG

One more for the picture gallery, back in 2017 and the Somerset Senior League, Division One (East). Stockwood Green had completed their fxtures on the Saturday and were 2 points ahead at the top of the league. No nerves here though, Clutton took the lead against Purnell after 3 minutes, scored another mid-way through the half, and added three more after the break. 130 present, and a £2 programme as they did not charge admission

IMG_20170516_204248 m.jpg

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
The standout game for any Sunderland supporter on this day is the 2-0 play off semi final win at St James' Park in 1990. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a ticket for that one, so only the one game on this day for me as far as I can tell:

Barclays Premier League
Sunderland 0-0 Leicester City
Att: 46,705

Burnley and QPR were relegated, but Hull City, third from bottom could still catch either of these sides. Sunderland had a game in hand, but their two games after this one could scarcely be tougher - away to 3rd placed Arsenal followed by a visit to newly crowned Champions, Chelsea.

Sunderland had lost only once since appointing Dick Advocaat at the beginning of April. Leicester, under Nigel Pearson, had won 6 out of 7 in the same period, to move from adrift at the bottom to looking almost certain to survive. Their only defeat in that period was to Chelsea.

Dick Advocaat went for an attacking line up, fielding three strikers in Jermain Defoe, Danny Graham and Connor Wickham. Leicester had Mahrez, Ulloa and Vardy but, though the game was never boring, defences were largely on top.

Results elsewhere meant the point guaranteed Leicester's safety, Sunderland still needed one more point to be certain.

Ellisref

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
A predictably small, but varied as usual, offering today.

1990 - Met Police 1 Area v Met Police 5 Area (South Midlands Cup) - referee. Surprisingly not played at Imber Court, but at Enfield FC. This is one of the third-tier Police competitions behind the British Police Cup and the Southern Counties competition mentioned previously. South Midlands is a bit of a misnomer though, many years later I refereed Dorset v Surrey in the competition!
1994 - Eastern Counties IRSA v West Midlands IRSA (IR Challenge Cup Semi Final) - linesman. Another two-day event at Lilleshall, six officials were needed to cover the four games, at this time from IR, and included Gary Willard from the PL and David Somers from the SFL.
2004 - Hamworthy RBL v White Heather Hornets (Bankes Sunday Senior Cup Final) - referee. Played at Wimborne's Cuthbury ground.
2010 - Christchurch v VT Youth (Hampshire Youth 1) - referee. Played at Chapel Gate.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1 Play-Off Semi-Final 1.
Leicester City 1 Portsmouth 0.
Adm. £10
Att. 24,538.
This game was played at the City Ground in Nottingham because of the new main stand at Filbert Street going up (and within ten years it along with the rest of the ground had been demolished) and had an early kick off to prevent Leicester fans hitting the pubs. Julian Joachim netted the only goal of the day with a couple of minutes left to give the 'home' side the advantage.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Hohe Warte, Rapid Wien Amateur v Schwechat 2-0 (500),Stan does not contemplate the extra game .
=================================================
Well done Stan , a reserve team at home at a substitute ground.

=================================================
The other missing crowd is for Lommelse against Genk in 1993.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Just to be clear, Stan did not see the reserve game
Thanks for Lommelse attendance

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Just to be clear, Stan did not see the reserve game.
Thanks for Lommelse attendance
?
Obviously , that's why the comment 'Well done Stan'.
Your welcome.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
AFC TottonEastleigh16/05/120-2Hampshire Cup Final
BelstoneLetchworth GC Eagles16/05/154-3Herts County

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Wednesday May 16th 1979
Scottish League Division Two
Dunfermline Athletic v Falkirk, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 6000 (given)
At East End Park

I opted for this game in preference to the Scottish Cup Final Replay aat Hampden. Having watched Rangers and Hibs play out a stultifying goalless draw at the weekend I had no desire for more and I had little doubt that it would be a disappointing night for Hibs.

The Second Division was a three-way race between Berwick, Falkirk and Dunfermline with two promotion spots available. The long winter shut down had left a big backlog of fixtures but saved this promotion decider until last.

Going into the game the table read:

Berwick P39 P54 GD +37 PROMOTED
Dunfermline P38 P51 GD+26
Falkirk P38 P49 GD+29

A win for Falkirk would see them promoted – Dunfermline needed the draw to secure second place.

There was quite a rivalry between the two clubs that had built up over the years. Neither had an obvious close rival – Falkirk had seldom been in the same division as Shire or Stirling, and Dunfermline were seldom in the same division as Cowdenbeath. Dunfermline and Falkirk are only 15 miles apart by road – closer as the crow flies – they are similar-sized towns and hence the Kincardine Bridge Derby was born. A Scottish Cup clash in 1973/4 that went to a replay had seen passions raised on and off the pitch and the clubs remain deadly rivals to this day.

I went to the game with a Falkirk-supporting friend. We probably started drinking at lunchtime in Edinburgh and carried on until kick off. I remember we paid into the east terracing thinking the Bairns supporters would be there only to find they were in the enclosure in front of the stand. We were moved by stewards, probably for our own safety.

Teams:
Pars: Dr Hugh Whyte, Andy Rolland, Bonar Mercer, R Thompson, John Salton, Dr Bobby Robertson, Jim Mullin, Andy Dickson, Mick Leonard, Paul Donnelly, Rikki Sharp. Subs Jim Scott, Kevin Hegarty
Bairns: Bobby McKell, Billy Johnston, Sandy Burrell, John Hay, Brian “Bomber” Brown, Paul Leetion, John Perry, Ally McRoberts, Joe McCallan, Billy Stevenson, John Mitchell. Sub Donnie McDowall

The pitch was in poor condition after the bad winter then too many games in a short space of time. The first half was fairly even although I remember that Falkirk had the best of the chances. Early in the second half the visitors took the lead when John Perry headed in a Mitchell free kick. The travelling Bairns were in hopeful mood but it was a long time to hang on against the expected Pars onslaught. Sure enough, in 63 minutes a netbou8nd shot was punched over the bar by Falkirk defender Bomber Brown. In those days that was just a booking. Andy Rolland stepped up to convert the spot kick.

I recall the closing 20 minutes as being frantic with close calls at both ends but no further goals. Dunfermline went up with Berwick and Falkirk had to wait another year.

Pars prog.jpg

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1985 Sint Niklaas 1 RFC Liege 3

On the way back from the Cup Winners cup final in Rotterdam to where I lived in northern France I stopped in Belgium on the Thursday as it was a bank holiday and a full round of top flight fixtures had been rescheduled for that afternoon from earlier in the year when they had been cancelled due to bad weather. Changing trains in Antwerp which was a pleasant place at that time of year, I got a local train to the small town of Sint Niklaas whose team had been promoted the previous season but it had gone badly and relegation was all but certain from the start of the game.
There wasn’t a massive crowd there to see the last rites, maybe 2,500 with only a few hundred from the visitors RFC Liege who ended the season 3rd in the table behind Club Bruges and Anderlecht to qualify for the UEFA Cup, I cant say I remember a huge amount about the game but as I recall it was a fairly comfortable win for the away side as the home team seemed demoralised by their poor form and lowly status. For the visitors who had had to endure their city rivals Standard winning the title in 1982 and 1983 only to find out that their 1983 game against Waterschei had been compromised by bribery allegations which were later proven it must have been a great moment to qualify for Europe whilst their rivals languished back in eighth position. As for Sint Niklaas they now play back in the 4th division, I don’t know the club’s history but it seems possible this might have been their only ever season in the top flight(similar to the likes of Orient and Northampton)and I was there to witness the ending of it.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks