May 17th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
On this day, well night really in 1943 was the famous Dam Busters raid where the RAF attacked three dams in the Ruhr Valley with the aim of disrupting the German war machine and water supplies.

Featured in the 1954 film The Dam Busters it was a heroic British operation and 34 airmen were decorated, with the Victoria Cross awarded to the leader Wing Commander Guy Gibson.

The attack breached two of the three dams causing catastrophic flooding in the Ruhr Valley where an estimated 1,600 people drowned and 53 of 113 air crew never returned.

It's a continuing debate as to how effective the raid was. Most of the damage was repaired by the Nazis within a matter of weeks or a few months. But it's argued that with the Germans diverting such huge resources in order to rebuild from other areas such as defences on the Normandy beaches it did indeed have a huge impact.

So where did you bounce along to on this day in years gone by?

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Despite this being too late for many clubs to be still playing there are plenty of games to reflect on still and will be for a few weeks yet.

1993 Bass North West Counties League Division One Newcastle Town v Prescot 2-1

1994 North Wales Joinery Cymru Alliance Cefn Druids v Brymbo 3-2

1995 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch v Nefn United 3-1
At the old ground. A railed pitch in the centre of the village, just off the old A5. Don’t think they issued for this one but did at times. Had an old one, I think.

1996 Stones Bitter Super League I Warrington Wolves v St. Helens Lost 24-25
At Wilderspool then of course where the atmosphere was usually great, even if we were all too often losing at times

1997 Fitlock Welsh Alliance Prestatyn Town v Halkyn United 2-4
Used to come here quite often in the days where the cover was a pair of old bus shelters. Regular issuers. Not been back for many years now though.

1998 JJB Sports Super League III Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers Won 33-18

2001 Asda Logic West Lancashire League Division One Wigan SMR v Tempest United 2-1

A tough one to find being at the end of a drive through industrial units. It was an enclosed ground but with little facilities. Can’t remember if it was even railed now. I am not sure if this was a renamed Wigan Rovers, who once graced the North West Counties League in the inaugural season. May still play in the Wigan League?

FA Cup Final Day brought about an unexpected double as I don’t think we were aware of game two until we arrived at game one

Notts. Alliance Senior Division Linby Colliery Welfare v Keyworth United 0-4
Enclosed ground with some cover. No prog (old one collected)

Notts. Alliance Division Two Sandhurst v Building Trades Social Club 0-2
Sports field with the pitch in one corner. No facilities. They had some old progs, but they were all taken by the time we arrived. I did revisit some years later on a hop game. This one played at the same time as the FA Cup Final, which no one seemed bothered about

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Clawddnewydd 3-3
Still in the field on the edge of the village back then (play at Brynford now with the old pitch having been returned to agriculture). No facilities but nice views. As with all clubs in the Summer bar ground sharers and Henllan, the only time Ysceifiog have issued was when Len S did one for them some years later. Henllan always issued bar one season. The Fox in the village is a country gem of a pub and always offered a welcome post-match pint

2010 Welsh National League Wrexham Area Division One Penyffordd v Penley 2-2

2011 Guy Walmsley & Co. Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Overton Recreation v Penycae 0-1
A pleasant venue on the edge of the village. Part railed off. No prog but they did occasionally issue in previous seasons

2012 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Clawddnewydd v Ysceifiog 3-3
Super views at this one over the valley towards The Horseshoe Pass Road into Llangollen. An enclosed ground squeezed into and cut into the hill behind. Again, only ever had one Len S prog from them. Decent pub in the village in The Glan Llyn. Normally sells Facers ale in recent years.

2014 A double

Nathaniel Car Sales Welsh League Division Two
Cwmbran Celtic v Monmouth Town 0-2
An enclosed ground behind the Cwmbran Stadium but entirely separate from it. There is a stand and they issued.

Then a rare opportunity to walk to the second game just a few minutes away

Autocentre Gwent County League Division One Coed Eva Athletic v Albion Rovers 1-5

A railed pitch. Changing rooms were by the bowling greens near the entrance. They did issue as I had requested one in advance and it was collected from the very helpful secretary after the game as he was running the line. Print run was only three or four though. A different ground the one hopped a few seasons back. A few hoppers took advantage of the double not all went here for game two

2016 Leicestershire & Rutland FA Challenge Cup Final (@ Leicester City FC)
Barwell v Leicester Nirvana 0-3

A midweek trip to tick off a Premier League ground, where there was surprisingly segregation as everyone was asked which club they were supporting and then directed to one half of the main stand, which was all that was open. I think I was with the Nirvana fans, who were fewer in number than Barwell.

2017 Snowdonia Fire Protection Gwynedd League Waunfawr v Menai Bridge Tigers 1-1

A roped pitch around the corner from Caernarfon Castle and a ground used by Carenarfon Borough at one time, I think. A very pleasant spot. Prog by Len S was a welcome addition. The club has not issued any other time to my knowledge

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
2013/14 Somaliland 2 Sealand 2 (60) Friendly @ Haringey Borough
2017/18 Staines Lammas 1 CB Hounslow Utd 0 Southern Combination Cup Final @ Bedfont Sports

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
A football-free date but plenty of other sport (starting with speedway)...

Sunday 17th May 1992
Homefire British Final @ Brandon Stadium, Coventry (3.0)
Attended by several thousand
Programme £1 (20pp)

Bradford Dukes’ Gary Havelock retained the British Championship title after beating Oxford Cheetah Martin Dugard in a run-off for top spot on the rostrum. Havelock would become world champion at Wroclaw, Poland, later in the season, crowning glory of a long career in the sport.

Beautifully sunny day - too warm, for a meeting with a mid-afternoon start - at plush Brandon, yet another speedway venue seemingly now consigned to history, but a lot of processional racing on a slick track. Speedway Star reporter Richard Clark noted: “Nearly all 22 races were mostly about gating and a limited amount of shuffling on the first turn or lap." Coventry often was like that, though its spectator facilities, especially the main stand, were amongst the best in the sport.

Havelock and Dugard each scored 13 points from their five rides. The former reeled off four heat wins before finishing third in his last race. Second would have clinched the title. Undeterred, Havelock had the run-off in the bag from the first bend.

Other qualifiers, in descending order, for the Commonwealth Final were Andy Smith (Coventry), Paul Thorp (Bradford), Kelvin Tatum (Bradford), Chris Louis (Ipswich), Marvyn Cox (Poole), Simon Wigg (Bradford), 2000 world champion Mark Loram (King’s Lynn) and Dave Mullett (Reading). Tatum (an MBE), also accomplished at grasstrack and longtrack racing, now presents speedway on the telly.

Of events at Brandon, Havelock told Speedway Star columnist Philip Rising: “Nobody gives an inch in the British Final. You can never take anybody for granted and that showed in my last race. I made a muck-up of the first corner and I thought I only needed a second. But Mark [Loram] came past me and I was trying to hang on. But the run-off was another race. We did some modifications to the bike. I knew the start would be vitally important. This year I am going all out to get to the World Final.”

At present, unused Brandon, subject of a planning wrangle, is falling derelict. In February 2016, I had a peek inside, courtesy of a wary security guard, before watching rugby union at nearby Broadstreet.

Other sports:

Cricket at Bradford League Hanging Heaton (2015). A cold wind swept across the elevated Bennett Lane ground, between Dewsbury and Batley, for much of this Priestley Cup second round tie. I was grateful for the shelter provided by poplars at the far end. After an interruption for rain during the second innings, Hanging Heaton’s Premier Division rivals Pudsey St Lawrence won by five wickets. Mark Robertshaw (107no) and Adam Waite (79) put on 147 for the first PSL wicket. 110 watching.

Thorne Moor Marauders 28 Lincoln City Knights 22 (2008, rugby league, Rugby League Conference). Entertaining regional Conference game for a hundred or so spectators at Thorne Colliery Welfare. Lincoln, 6-24 down at one stage, refused to give up.

Warrington Woolston Rovers 11 Bradford Dudley Hill 21 (2003, rugby league, National League, Division Three). Scrappy contest at Wilderspool in difficult conditions. Not until scoring a converted try eight minutes from the end of normal time, putting them 19-11 up, did Dudley Hill secure victory. The visitors fought back from 2-10 behind. Too much one out stuff from Woolston to threaten more points. 150 at the old Warrington ground, since demolished. Only the main stand opened for Rovers’ games.

Doncaster 29 Morley 26 @ Lockwood Park, Huddersfield (2000, rugby union, Yorkshire Cup, Final). Interesting ground, dominated by the towering arches of Lockwood railway viaduct, part of the heavily engineered Huddersfield-Penistone line. Doncaster retained the cup after a thriller. They led 12-0 inside 10 minutes but Morley got their noses in front, 26-18, during the second half. Doncaster hit back with two penalties from veteran replacement John Liley and a decisive 69th-minute try. Fly-half Jamie Grayson (1T, 2C, 4P) contributed 21 points for Maroons. No record of the attendance. A few hundred, certainly.

Bramley 24 Batley Bulldogs 14 (1998, rugby league, Division Two). A third-tier game from the second of three seasons Bramley, having left Clarence Field (the former Headingley RUFC ground), played at Headingley, home to city neighbours Leeds. There were a reported 700 scattered about the stadium to watch Justin Eldershaw score two of Bramley’s four tries. Lancashire Lynx won a division containing eight clubs. Batley finished third, Bramley fourth. The Villagers packed up at the end of the following season after the Rugby Football League rejected their proposal to play at Farsley Celtic FC’s Throstle Nest ground. Bramley had sold their own ground, McLaren Field, to a housing a developer, in 1995.

York 54 South Wales 26 (1996, rugby league, Division Two). A fixture from the South Wales club’s solitary season, rugby league’s first as a summer sport. Based at Talbot Athletic Ground, Aberavon, the Clive Griffiths-coached team weren’t anywhere near as hopeless as most from the Principality. The inclusion in their squad of old-stagers such as Gerald Cordle, Andy Currier, John Fieldhouse and Hugh Waddell gave them a bit of class and steel. South Wales won 12 of their 22 third tier games to finish sixth of 12. I must have been a glutton for punishment because, in 1996, I saw them play also at Bramley, Carlisle Border Raiders, Chorley Magpies (where they won), Doncaster Dragons, Hull Kingston Rovers and Swinton Lions. At the time, I was living at Great Ayton, near Stokesley, and attended four or five York home games in each of those four years. Scrum-half Terry Smirk scored three of Wasps’ 10 tries and kicked seven goals for a personal tally of 26 points. South Wales ran in five tries. Just 466 watching at Huntington. Dark days for York, who finished eighth. Hull KR topped the table, six points clear of Swinton and Hunslet Hawks.

Hunslet 10 Swinton 27 @ Old Trafford, Manchester (1987, rugby league, Division Two Premiership, Final) followed by Warrington 0 Wigan 8 (Division One Premiership, Final). This double-header (1.30 and 3.30), the first of its kind, is one of several rugby league occasions I’ve enjoyed at Old Trafford. By contrast, I’ve watched Man U there only once (and they lost 1-4, to QPR!). In the first game of this season-ending showpiece, Swinton conceded a fourth minute try then battled back to outscore Hunslet five to two. Finishing three points ahead of Swinton, Hunslet had topped the table during the regular season. Lions hooker Gary Ainsworth was the official man of the match. The second game, a dour, tense arm wrestle, was less entertaining. Wigan winger Joe Lydon scored the only try and was the official man of the match. The Riversiders had topped the table after the regular season and beat Warrington 18-4 in the John Player Special Trophy final. 38,756 was the official OT attendance, though not everybody watched both games.

Attachments

Last edited:

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
1.30pm KO - Oldham 20 Sheffield Eagles 34 (HT 4-16) - Rugby League Div 2 Premiership Final
3.30pm KO - St Helens 48 Wigan 16 (HT 10-12) - Rugby League Premiership Final

My 5th of 115 visits to Old Trafford - Attendance 33157

I had won tickets for this on the radio. I'm pretty sure it was one of those "phone up and the winner will be drawn" type ones. I suspect I was only one who phoned as I was in Liverpool at the time and the winner would need to travel to Old Trafford to see the games. Even though I had followed rugby league on the local radio and TV, I had never seen a game live, so this big final was perfect, as I regularly travelled back home to Manchester. However it was less than half full/ So as a friend had dropped out using the other ticket at the last minute, I had been sure I'd be able to make a load of money by selling the other ticket outside the ground. When I got there the touts were struggling to find anyone ticketless so I donated one to a tout as they wouldn't give me any money for it, and unsurprisingly the seat next to me didn't get taken.

So officially Sheffield v Oldham was my first rugby match live in person. It was a good game but clearly Sheffield Eagles were on top and led 16-4 at the break. I don't really remember any fine detail but I was very impressed with the spectacle as Eagles eventually came through 34-20.

The 2nd game held interest as I was a bit of an armchair Wigan fan and appreciated the rivalry with St Helens. As Wigan had won the league by 8 points, I expected them to beat St Helens, and they led at HT 12-10, but the 2nd half was a shock as St Helens piled on the pressure and the tries and comprehensively won. Despite the result, I was impressed and so went on to go to a number of other games over the next season.

2017 - Bolton County 1 Atherton Town 0 (HT 0-0) - Manchester League Division 1 Promotion Play-Off
My 2nd of 2 visits to Radcliffe Road - Attendance 150

This was a unique match as being the only Manchester League Play-Off game played so far. The previous year's had seen Chapel Town withdraw so Wilmslow promoted without playing the game, then this year 2017 it had been controversial as to whether he game would go ahead or not. It was all related to whether Prestwich Heys Reserves would be promoted to Step 7 or not. Originally the Manchester League said no, and so awarding promotion without a play-off (though why they couldn't have just moved the play-off to be 4th v 5th I don't know). Prestwich Heys rightly pointed out the league rules were inconsistent with FA rules on reserve teams and 2-step distance, and so they were promoted after all and the play-off was back on. Bolton County knew they would be in it, but the battle for 3rd place went to one remaining game that saw both contenders Atherton Town and Manchester Central lose - so Atherton scraped into the play-off by 1 point.

The game itself was tight, but there were chances. A big crowd was there to witness - I counted 150 including quite a few neutrals as expected. Goalless at the break, but Bolton had one ruled out for offside on the half hour. The winning goal came on 78 mins from Ben Harrison - great run and shot past the keeper - and as you'd expect, much celebration at the final whistle.

2018 - Newburgh Harrock United 6 Pemberton 1 (HT 5-1) - Wigan Amateur League Laithwaite Shield Final
My 2nd of 2 visits to Edge Green Street, Ashton Town - Attendance 59

I was starving when I got there - was hoping for a pie, but apparently they were on "limited food" as apparently all the pies had sold out on Tues for the Ashton Town game, so I had to make do with sausage and chips (£2.50) and tea (£1.50). The attendance at this game seemed disappointing at just 59.

It was my second visit here - first was 12 years earlier. Seemed very pleasant with a nice club house. Newburgh were battling with Winstanley St Aidans for the Wigan Amateur League title. Pemberton are adrift in 3rd. But it was clear that Newburgh were a step above Pemberton and led 1-0 on 5 mins, then 3-0 by mid 1st half, 5-1 at HT. Just one more added in the 2nd half. The ref blew 2 mins early, which seems bizarre as after numerous stoppages I was expecting a few mins injury time.

Then came the presentation of the Laithwaite Shield and the announcer over the tannoy with big build-up drama involved - asked the runners up "Winstanley" to collect their mini-trophies. So someone had to shout to him to do it again, and he did it again and again announced it wrong, and then once corrected for a 2nd time eventually got it right.

MarkMUFC

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Marske United, Durham CCC
Division 3 Play Off Semi Final 2nd Leg
Darlington 1 Hartlepool United 0
Att: 8,238

After a superb 2-0 win at Hartlepool the previous Sunday thanks to goals from Craig Liddle and a Marco Gabbiadini penalty couple with a quite unbelievable miss from Paul Arnison for Pools (later to win the FA Trophy as a Darlo player), this game was pretty much over as a contest in the 9th minute when the Quakers took a 3-0 aggregate lead. The game was played on a quite terrible pitch (even in May) ad Darlo had issues with it all season, including the now infamous owner George Reynolds arranging for thousands of worms to be placed on the pitch to help with drainage! The goal came from a Phil Brumwell right wing cross which led to Pools Gary Strodder getting himself into a right mess and somehow, while on the ground, kneeing the ball past the hapless Andy Dibble, as Darlo reached their second play off final in 4 years, where they'd face Peterborough.

Teams:
Darlington - Collett, Brumwell, Liddle, Tutill, Heckingbottom, Hjorth, Gray, Oliver, Duffield, Gabbiadini, Heaney

Hartlepool: Dibble, Strodder, Barron, Westwood, Arnison, Clark, Stephenson, Miller, Freestone, Jones, Lee

Referee: Mark Halsey

Highlights of both games below

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
A mixed bag of eight games to mention today, and the first date since I discovered these threads that I have no Leyton Orient match to reminisce:

1990: FA Cup Final replay - Manchester United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - Att: 80,000
My crafty source of Cup Final replay tickets had worked again and I left work early for this Thursday night match, my 18th of 36 visits to Wembley. I think it was my first time here with the stadium having been (poorly) converted to all-seater status. I had a little problem in that at the time I actively disliked both of these clubs - who to support? My seat was in the lower tier behind the goal at the end containing the Palace supporters and anyone here in United colours was receiving a slap; best to just quietly watch the game I decided. After a 3 - 3 draw on the Saturday, it was perhaps inevitable that this was a tight match, settled by the less than prolific Lee Martin.

1992: Friendly - England 1 - 1 Brazil - Att: 53,428
This World Cup warm-up match was played on a Sunday and I went to it with a couple of Belgian friends (Gent supporters), who were beside themselves with excitement at visiting the famous Wembley Stadium, whilst I was able to play the old hand, having by now been here 21 times. Brazilian supporters were present in force, which made for a better than usual atmosphere. After Gary Lineker failed to score with an early penalty, Bebeto scored the first, with David Plat equalising in the second half.

2003: Denmark second level - Bronshoj BK 1 - 1 Hvidovre IF - Att: 600
A rather low-key match at the Tingberg Idreatspark in Copenhagen. A neat, modern venue, with much use of the home club's yellow colours.

2003: Superligen - Akademisk BK 1 - 1 Odense BK - Att: 1,706
The Gladsaxe Stadion is walking distance from Bronshoj, but having walked it in the morning before our first game as a test run we realised that it was not really quite possible to get from one to the other in the time available between games. No doubt 'proper' groundhoppers would have splashed out on a taxi or something, but Robert S and I differed in how we wanted to deal with this situation. I left Bronshoj five minutes early, so that I could see all of the higher level game. Robert had been to the Gladsaxe before, so stayed to the end of the first game and missed the first five minutes at Akademisk. The only hitch was that we had not thought to coordinate where we would sit at the second match, and ended up in different stands. Oh, and one of us missed a goal somewhere, but I honestly can't remember who or where.

2007: CoCo League - Coney Hall 2 - 2 Warlingham - Att: 130
An after work, catch up match. A new ground for me.

2008: Essex Intermediate League - Shenfield AFC 2 - 5 Ramsden - Att: c.33
This match was played at Ramsden's Nursery Sports Ground - a typical village recreation ground, with a loosely-roped pitch and a changing room block. A large proportion of the small crowd were groundhoppers, and one of them was knocking out a pirate match programme from the back of his car - I was too shy to go over and ask for one. In fact, so many strangers were there present that the lady running the tea bar (home-made cake 20p) was asking everyone where they had come from. I said I had walked across the fields from Wickford - not untrue, although it only covered the last leg of the journey. Scoffer and I had intended to go to a second match in Billericay after this one, but we managed to miss the bus by standing in the wrong place.

2011: Kent County League - Phoenix Sports 2 - 3 Hollands & Blair - Att: c.84
My only visit to date to the Mayplace Ground of Phoenix Sports. It has been substantially developed since and I must find an opportunity for a revisit.

2017: Isthmian League Playoff Final - Hendon FC 0 - 1 Margate - Att: 1,228
This match played at Harrow Borough's Earlsmead Stadium. Watched in the company of Dave K; my first visit here for years and fourth in total. It was the first of two years running where I was to see Hendon lose a playoff final.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Wednesday @ 19-45.
UEFA Cup Final. (2nd leg).
@ White Hart Lane.
Tottenham 1 v 1 Wolves.

Tottenham - Pat Jennings , Cyril Knowles , Joe Kinnear , Alan Mullery (1), Mike England , Phil Beal , Martin Peters , Steve Perryman , Alan Gilzean , Martin Chivers , Ralph Coates.
Manager - Bill Nicholson.

1972-UEFA-Cup-Final-TOTTENHAM-HOTSPUR-v-WOLVERHAMPTON-WANDERERS-Wolves

Tottenham Pat Jennings , Cyril Knowles , Joe Kinnear , Alan Mullery (1) , Mike England , Phil Beal , Martin Peters , Steve Perryman , Alan Gilzean , Martin Chivers , Ralph Coates.
Manager - Bill Nicholson.

Wolverhampton - Phil Parkes , Gerry Taylor , Bernard Shaw , Frank Munro , John McAlle , Jim McCalliog , Kenny Hibbitt , Danny Hegan , Derek Dougan , John Richards , Dave Wagstaffe (1).
Subs - Mike Bailey for Hibbitt , Hugh Curran for Dougan.
Manager - Bill McGarry.

Referee - Laurens van Ravens (Netherlands).

First leg covered here - https://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/may-3rd.1430/

This second leg of the very first UEFA Cup was a poor game , Mullery in his last ever game for Spurs opened the scoring on 30 mins with a header from a Peters cross.
Wagstaffe scored a 20 yard cracker to send the teams in level at half time.

The second half was all Wolves , Spurs ran out of steam and it was only Jennings that kept them in it and eventually they held out.

Great moment on 4' 30'' when the referee makes Cyril Knowles go and get the ball after kicking it away. :)

Billy Cotton - The original Dam Busters March 1954 (high quality ...

32 x games , 1 x double , 1 x 0-0.

Last edited:

Ellisref

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Not much on offer today, but the usual variety.

To start with two works matches with an international flavour -
1992 - Scotland IRSA v Northern Ireland IRSA (Semi Final) - linesman
1994 - Scotland IRSA v West Midlands IRSA (Final) - linesman, both played at Lilleshall.

1997 - Hamworthy United v Hamworthy United Vets - referee. An annual event on Cup Final morning, sometimes Hamworthy Recreation Vets take part instead.
2009 - AFC Totton v Gosport Borough (Hampshire Youth 1) - referee. Played at Testwood Park, before it was built on.
2015 - Bournemouth Athletic Veterans v Bournemouth Athletic Super Veterans - referee. One of two matches played at Wimborne's Cuthbury ground to celebrate the 25th anniversary of BAFC.

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Wednesday 17 May 1983
Darlington 4-3 Peterborough Utd

Football League Division 4
Attendance: 1,002
Prog: 16 pages 30p (Double issue also covering their game v York)

I saw several games at Feethams and always thought it was the most pleasant League venue to visit. It was mostly surrounded by trees and as they shared a complex with the cricket club most fans would walk around the cricket pitch to reach the football.

There was a small covered home end behind the near goal and a much larger open terrace opposite. Two old wooden stands faced each other along the sides, both running about half the length of the pitch and I think one had a barrel roof. Actually it isn‘t true that both were old stands - I‘m pretty sure I read that one burnt down, maybe in the 60s, and Darlo fans were surprised that it was then replaced by a replica rather than something more modern.

Darlington had several attendances that just scraped into four figures that season and my skeptical nature wonders if this figure was manipulated to avoid recording a sub-1,000 gate. In fact the programme editor bemoaned the lack of activity through the turnstiles, claiming that the prog wasn‘t even covering basic costs. There was, however, an interview with York keeper Roger Jones (favourite drink: milk, favourite TV prog: Last of the summer wine), but sadly not with the Peterborough keeper who just happened to be David Seaman. The Darlo team included some familiar names from those days, and later on the local non-League scene, such as Alan Kamara, Brian Honour, Kevin Todd and Peter Cartwright (now a high school teacher according to Wikipedia).

Saturday 17 May 1986
Altrincham 1-0 Runcorn @ Wembley

FA Trophy final
Attendance: 15,700
20 pages, 60p

My first Trophy final and my last as a neutral. I‘d been looking forward to it, especially as it featured two prominent sides, but the whole experience was flat - poor game, low crowd and an over-rated ground. I almost ventured back 12 months later for Kidderminster v Burton but got as far as a hot dog stall on the Wembley concourse, then headed back to the Underground and went on to Ruislip instead.

I’ve been to Wembley, including the new version, a few more times but have generally found it too expensive, fans are too far from the pitch and the view from the lower tier is awful. Although a bit smaller, Tottenham‘s new place and some of the bigger German grounds I‘ve been to have been much better places to watch football.

As Altrincham were such a power during the early 80s I thought I‘d recognise a few more names when flicking through the prog but only remember Jeff Johnson and John Davison, while Runcorn included prolific striker Mark Carter and former Villa player Frank Carrodus.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Eredivisie.
NAC Breda 0 RKC Waalwijk 2.
Adm. F23.
Prog. F2.50
Att. 10,340.

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
It was:
1992 – England 1 Brazil 1 (Friendly @ Wembley) - Gary Lineker missed a penalty, had he scored he would have equalled Bobby Charlton's England record of 49 goals.
1994 – England 5 Greece 0 (as above)
2000 – Peterborough 3 Barnet 0 (Division 3 play-off semi-final, 2nd leg)

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday May 17th 1980

Scottish Junior Cup Final
Benburb v Baillieston, 2-2 AET, H.T. 0-0, F.T. 2-2 Att 10,702
At Hampden Park

Junior FA rules meant that no other games could take place within 50 miles of Glasgow on this day, wiping out the Junior fixtures across most of Central Scotland. With the Senior season all but done there were few other options.

I wouldn’t normally have gone to an all-west final but I actually quite enjoyed this game. The only down-side was extra time. For part-time players extra time is a punishment rather than an opportunity and seldom provides any great entertainment.

This Final brought together two teams from Greater Glasgow. When a small town or village side gets to the Junior Cup Final it becomes a huge event with the entire population motivated for a one-off occasion. With city teams it I different – they don’t have the same local ties and do not motivate the same sort of local pride and passion. Benburb, from Govan, were a good side but their crowds were poor, living in the shadow of Ibrox Park. Baillieston, from the eastern fringe of Glasgow, was a bit more community-based but neither team drummed up great local enthusiasm. The attendance of 10,000 included a couple of thousand rooting for each side but the majority were neutrals.

Teams:
Baillieston: John Hunt, Ian Murdoch, Ian Bruce, Jim Donaldson, Davie Murphy, Ian Wotherspoon, Alex McLaren, Paul Doctor, Jim Ross, Jackie Goodall, Billy Paterson. Subs Jim McGhee, Eddie Gray
Bens: Ian Kilpatrick, Alistair Marshall, Dickov, Ally Edmiston, Jim Quigley, Albert Burnett, Jim Davis, Mick Livingston, Steve Whitehead, Grant McIntosh, Eddie McKim. Subs Kenny Coid and Neil Pirrie

Most of these players could be described as Junior stalwart journeymen. Very few made any impact at SFL level – Albert Burnett had a few years at Airdrie.

There was a lazy atmosphere around Hampden on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Billy Paterson of Baillieston, playing in his 6th Junior Cup Final, was an early threat and had several good attempts in a goalless first half. Albie Burnett shot Benburb ahead in 51 minutes. He was left unmarked at a corner to volley into the net. Wotherspoon equalised for Baillieston with 20 minutes left – the Station Park side had sent on Eddie Gray and he made all the difference. Defences were tired now and the play was stretched and with ten minutes left Gray put Baillieston in front. Eddie McKim capped a fine closing spell with an equaliser for Bens in 88 minutes.

Extra time was a waste of time with both teams happy to settle for a Replay. Baillieston won 2-

The programme was very poor. The SJFA had moved to a glossy production but managed not to have the team names on the front!

They day out would have followed my usual Glasgow routine. Pints in Sammy Dows on arrival at Queen Street. Pints in the Horseshoe on return to Glasgow central. Train to Mount Florida in between. And I most certainly would not have been drinking SKOL, the product of the sponsor and undeniably one of the worst lagers ever brewed. Tasted like something you would now get in Wetherspoons.

Junior F.jpg

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Just the four for today:

Hemsworth MW v Ovenden West Riding 0-1 aet
WRCA Cup final
@Littletown

Telford Juniors v Sutton Albion 3-4
Shropshire Lge D1

Marsh v Sporting Armley 1-4
Spen Valley Lge

Uppermill v Moldgreen 6-1
Huddersfield Lge

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
Cwmbran CelticMonmouth Town17/05/140-2Welsh League Div 1
PILCSPill17/05/144-2GCL1
Charlton AthleticDoncaster Roves17/05/192-3 (4-3)League 1 Play Off 2nd Leg

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1986 Altrincham 1 Runcorn 0 FA Trophy final at Wembley

As a teenager I’d been to the 1977 and 1979 finals as a neutral and enjoyed them for the sense of occasion as much as anything else, in my early 20s I went to this as I don’t think I‘d ever seen either team play live and it was terrible, perhaps because I had started going to England games at Wembley and seen decent European games at Spurs(mainly)and Arsenal as well as seeing my team playing at a higher level I had probably become a bit of a football snob and I didn’t go back to another Trophy final until the 2007 Wembley reopening.
The crowd of 15,700 reflected the malaise in football and society at the time and if I’m being charitable the magnitude of the day probably overcame the players but I just recall an overly physical game settled by one goal, I was slightly favouring Runcorn as they seemed to be the underdogs and had less fans but I was just grateful it didn’t go to extra time.
The difference between the finals I went to in the 70s and this one was that there didn’t seem to be any neutrals there in 1986 whereas it seemed to me the 70s games were attended by a lot of the non league community as a big day out. I seem to recall northern clubs would come down on the Friday before the big game and play a friendly on the Friday evening at somewhere in the London area but I can’t find any evidence of this, did it really happen or am I imagining it? If anyone can help find any proof of these games I would be grateful.

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Friday 17th May 1991
Kent League Charity Shield
Sittingbourne v Faversham at Central Park Sittingbourne kick off 1945
Score 1-1 ht 0-1 Attendance around 600 Programme Issued
Charity shield matches are usually played at the beginning of the season
oddly this one between league winners Sittingbourne and League Cup
winners Faversham was on a Friday night right at the end of the season.
Sittingbourne had won the league without losing a match, Darenth
Heathside had proved to be their bogey side as they had drawn twice in
the league and had also knocked them out of the league cup.
This game did live up to expectations at all Faversham led with
a goal from Cheeseman just after the half hour mark. Sittingbourne
equalised with a Dave Jordan goal after 65 minutes. After this
Sittingbourne pressed for the winner but created few clear cut chances.
Am unsure why there was no extra time or penalties to decide a winner

Wednesday 17th May 2000
Football League Division 2 Play off final 2nd leg
Gillingham v Stoke City at Priestfield kick off 1945
Score 3-0 After extra time ht 1-0 90 mins 1-0 Gills win 5-3 on aggregate
Attendance 10386
Four days earlier at Stoke Gills had lost 3-2 with the second Gills
goal coming in the 90th plus 4 minute. Here Gills had most of the first
half play with Asaba missing their best chance. Stoke had Clive Clarke
sent off just before half time for a second bookable offence. After the
interval Stoke were down to 9 players when Graham Kavanagh also
saw red again for a second bookable offence. Gills eventually scored
after 55 minutes when Ashby's header found the net.
Despite Gills dominating the rest of the half they could not find the
winner in the 90 minutes. Iffy Onuara finally headed Gills into the lead
after 102 minutes. Stoke had a chance to level the aggregate scores
after this with O'Connors effort rebounding off the post with
Bartram beaten. Paul Smith wrapped the game up after 118 minutes
when the ball broke to him off a defender.
Gils were back at Wembley for the second season running.

Cricket County Championship Division One Day One
Monday 17th May 2010
Kent v Durham at St Lawrence Ground Canterbury
1100 am start Admission Season Membership Scorecard and match guide £1
Kent 424 all out off 93.4 overs
A good days cricket here with Rob Key scoring 261 of Kents 424. No
other player scored a fifty the next highest was Azhar Mahmood with 43.
On days 2 and 3 Durham scored 418 all out with Ben Stokes 161
not out. Kents second innings saw them bowled out for 163 and Durham
got the 169 runs to win for the loss of only 4 wickets Stokes again not
out with 53.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1983 Blades 2 Wolves 0 Central League
1984 Sheffield Boys 4 Swindon Boys 1 ESFA U15 Trophy Final 2nd leg @ Bramall Lane Att 1,850 Agg. 5-2
1986 Denaby United 1 Boston 0 NCE Prem.
2011 Blades 2 Man. Utd 2 FA Youth Cup Final 1st leg
2017 Bridlington Town 1 Penistone Church 4 NCE League Cup Final @ Bramall Lane Att 485

Rugby League
1987 Hunslet 10 Swinton 27 Div. 2 Final
1987 Wigan 8 Warrington 0 Div. 1 Final both at Old Trafford
1992 Oldham 20 Eagles 34 Div. 2 Final
1992 St Helens 16 Wigan 48 Div. 1 Final both @ Old Trafford
2003 Hillsboro. Hawks 42 Hemel Hempstead Stags 16 Nat. League 3
2008 Eagles 36 Hunslet 34 Senior Academy

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Group Three of the UEFA Under 19 European Championship Elite Round was staged in the midlands in 2007, with two games on each of three days. Kick offs were staggered on the first two days offering a 'double' opportunity, so I took the chance to visit two grounds which are no longer staging football for vastly differing reasons.
Czech Republic U19 (0) 1 Russia U19 (0) 3
Thursday 17th May, 2007 - K.O. 3pm
At Worcester City FC, Att.: Not announced, est.200?

On day one of this group the results had been: England 0 Russia 2 and Czech Republic 0 Holland 2. Only the group winners qualified for the finals in Austria so this defeat knocked out the Czech Republic.
A 36 page tournament programme sold for £2 plus team sheets were available for each game. It was good to visit St. George's Lane for one last time and sit in their brilliant grandstand.
England U19 (0) 1 Holland (1) 2
Thursday 17th May, 2007 - K.O. 7.45pm
At The Ricoh Arena, Att.: 10,482

A quick drive over to Coventry and another side being knocked out by losing their second game, except on this occasion it was England. A late goal from Hogan Ephraim wasn't enough to save England but it did prove crucial in deciding the group. Three days later Holland and Russia drew their final game, with Russia qualifying on goal difference by just one goal. That one goal was represented by Russia having beaten England 2-0 whereas Holland only beat them 2-1.
A number of the players on view have gone on to at least Football League level so here are the starting elevens:
ENGLAND: Frank Fielding, Elliot Omozusi, Scott Golbourne, Fabrice Muamba, Jack Hobbs, Michael Mancienne, Michael Johnson, Danny Haynes, Hogan Ephraim, Craig Lindfield, Rossi Jarvis.
HOLLAND: Tim Krul, Tom Hiariej, Jordy Buijs, Christian Supusepa, Diego Biseswar, Geert Arend Roorda, Jordy Brouwer, Vurnon Anita, Siem De Jong, Dirk Marcellis, Marvin Emnes.
When the final stages of the tournament were played in Austria, Russia finished bottom of their group with just one point. Spain were the eventual winners, beating Greece 1-0 in the final.
WorcesterRicoh 003.JPG

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1.30pm KO - Oldham 20 Sheffield Eagles 34 (HT 4-16) - Rugby League Div 2 Premiership Final
3.30pm KO - St Helens 48 Wigan 16 (HT 10-12) - Rugby League Premiership Final

My 5th of 115 visits to Old Trafford - Attendance 33157

I had won tickets for this on the radio. I'm pretty sure it was one of those "phone up and the winner will be drawn" type ones. I suspect I was only one who phoned as I was in Liverpool at the time and the winner would need to travel to Old Trafford to see the games. Even though I had followed rugby league on the local radio and TV, I had never seen a game live, so this big final was perfect, as I regularly travelled back home to Manchester. However it was less than half full/ So as a friend had dropped out using the other ticket at the last minute, I had been sure I'd be able to make a load of money by selling the other ticket outside the ground. When I got there the touts were struggling to find anyone ticketless so I donated one to a tout as they wouldn't give me any money for it, and unsurprisingly the seat next to me didn't get taken.

So officially Sheffield v Oldham was my first rugby match live in person. It was a good game but clearly Sheffield Eagles were on top and led 16-4 at the break. I don't really remember any fine detail but I was very impressed with the spectacle as Eagles eventually came through 34-20.

The 2nd game held interest as I was a bit of an armchair Wigan fan and appreciated the rivalry with St Helens. As Wigan had won the league by 8 points, I expected them to beat St Helens, and they led at HT 12-10, but the 2nd half was a shock as St Helens piled on the pressure and the tries and comprehensively won. Despite the result, I was impressed and so went on to go to a number of other games over the next season.

2017 - Bolton County 1 Atherton Town 0 (HT 0-0) - Manchester League Division 1 Promotion Play-Off
My 2nd of 2 visits to Radcliffe Road - Attendance 150

This was a unique match as being the only Manchester League Play-Off game played so far. The previous year's had seen Chapel Town withdraw so Wilmslow promoted without playing the game, then this year 2017 it had been controversial as to whether he game would go ahead or not. It was all related to whether Prestwich Heys Reserves would be promoted to Step 7 or not. Originally the Manchester League said no, and so awarding promotion without a play-off (though why they couldn't have just moved the play-off to be 4th v 5th I don't know). Prestwich Heys rightly pointed out the league rules were inconsistent with FA rules on reserve teams and 2-step distance, and so they were promoted after all and the play-off was back on. Bolton County knew they would be in it, but the battle for 3rd place went to one remaining game that saw both contenders Atherton Town and Manchester Central lose - so Atherton scraped into the play-off by 1 point.

The game itself was tight, but there were chances. A big crowd was there to witness - I counted 150 including quite a few neutrals as expected. Goalless at the break, but Bolton had one ruled out for offside on the half hour. The winning goal came on 78 mins from Ben Harrison - great run and shot past the keeper - and as you'd expect, much celebration at the final whistle.

2018 - Newburgh Harrock United 6 Pemberton 1 (HT 5-1) - Wigan Amateur League Laithwaite Shield Final
My 2nd of 2 visits to Edge Green Street, Ashton Town - Attendance 59

I was starving when I got there - was hoping for a pie, but apparently they were on "limited food" as apparently all the pies had sold out on Tues for the Ashton Town game, so I had to make do with sausage and chips (£2.50) and tea (£1.50). The attendance at this game seemed disappointing at just 59.

It was my second visit here - first was 12 years earlier. Seemed very pleasant with a nice club house. Newburgh were battling with Winstanley St Aidans for the Wigan Amateur League title. Pemberton are adrift in 3rd. But it was clear that Newburgh were a step above Pemberton and led 1-0 on 5 mins, then 3-0 by mid 1st half, 5-1 at HT. Just one more added in the 2nd half. The ref blew 2 mins early, which seems bizarre as after numerous stoppages I was expecting a few mins injury time.

Then came the presentation of the Laithwaite Shield and the announcer over the tannoy with big build-up drama involved - asked the runners up "Winstanley" to collect their mini-trophies. So someone had to shout to him to do it again, and he did it again and again announced it wrong, and then once corrected for a 2nd time eventually got it right.
You must have had a good time in the corporate area that day at Old Trafford as it was Wigan that won not St Helens. You got the score correct though. but not the year it was 1992. St Helen's did win the following year though against Wigan, see yesterday's post.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks