May 18th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
On this date in 1756, Britain declared war on France, commencing the seven years war
On this date in 1803, Britain declared war on France, commencing the Napoleonic Wars

Is there a theme here?

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The lists are getting shorter...

Wednesday 18th May 1988 ~ Cardiff City 2-0 Wrexham
Wednesday 18th May 2011 ~ Adderbury Park 3-7 Oxford University Press
Sunday 18th May 2014 ~ Bognor Regis Town 0-3 Peacehaven & Telscombe

...with the most significant being...

Wednesday 18th May 1988 ~
FAW Welsh Cup Final
Cardiff City 2-0 Wrexham

@ Vetch Field, attendance: 5,465

Most interesting would be to know which pillock at the FAW thought that playing this match at the Vetch Field was remotely a bright idea. For a start, a 7.30pm mid-week kick-off wasn't really ideal for any Wrexham fans having to make the 140 mile drive of over three-and-a-half-hours each-way along the mid-Wales mountain roads (the train would not have been an option for anyone wanting to get home after). Only a few dozen seemed to make the effort, and they probably wouldn't have got back home until the early hours.

No, the much larger bollock dropped concerning the chosen venue was the total lack of travel difficulties for the Cardiff fans who attended. And on a hot sunny day, they were piling out of the railway station from noon onwards, in groups of hundreds at a time - this being deemed by many of them an ideal day to celebrate Cardiff City's recent promotion that season. Not even the old-fashioned concept of afternoon closing could dampen the running battles that swirled around the city centre on a midweek afternoon for the following seven-plus hours - a large group of Cardiff fans simply camped out on a grass strip of benches on The Kingsway and performed supply relays to the beer aisles of the Tesco supermarket opposite. I'd spent my lunchtime enjoying the sunshine and a pint on the raised patio of a bar called Whispers (this was the late eighties, remember), until a growing mass of Cardiff fans across the road got the idea that we weren't just some lazy students skiving a lecture but might instead be the high-level organisers of Swansea's own hooligan gang. In later dacades we might've been able to rely on Ross Kemp and a Channel 5 film team to give us cover, but in 1988 it needed South Wales Constabulary to park their transits in the parking-bay outside before we could buck up the courage to make a run for it.

Heading for the Vetch at about 7pm, after an afternoon of listening to front-line battle reports on the local radio station, we saw a bloke thrown bodily through the window of the Garibaldi Inn, before he jumped up and started running towards the away end turnstiles closely pursued by a group of Swansea fans. We then saw a police van drive at speed into a large group of rival fans who were squaring up to each other at the road junction outside the Singleton Hotel. The bulk of those on the North Bank (the laughingly designated 'neutral area'!) were Swansea fans with no interest in the match whatsoever, who spent the whole evening trying to get at the massed Cardiff fans on the terrace beneath the double-decker West Stand. It's possibly the only match I've ever been to where I seriously considered walking straight back out of the ground and going straight home again.

There was already by this time a long history of crowd trouble involving Cardiff and Swansea fans. The first serious issues recorded were also at the Vetch, during the first leg of the FAW Cup Final in 1969, when fighting broke out between fans. Afterwards, Cardiff's fans smashed up their train home - the train arrived into Cardiff 50 minutes late after the communication chord was pulled ten times, and a police dog unit boarded the train at Bridgend to quell more trouble. At the return leg, Swansea coaches were attacked with stones. Meetings between the two clubs were rare until both began their respective plunges down the league in the early eighties, leading to regular crowd trouble surrounding derby fixtures. There had already been serious rioting both inside and outside the grounds at both league fixtures in the 1987~88 season - so the events on this Wednesday seemed totally predictable to everyone in South Wales (except the idiot who chose the venue, obviously).

The seeds of this ugly rivalry had been sown long before, but this day in May 1988 seemed to give it added oxygen and upped it all several notches - when Swansea and Cardiff were drawn against each other in the League Cup in September the following season (a two-legged tie again, wouldn't you know!), there was more serious rioting in the city centre, and a group of Cardiff fans were chased into the sea close to the West Glamorgan County Council Hall building, an event that is still sung about to this day with the 'Swim Away' song. After the FA Cup tie in 1991, Cardiff fans rioted the length of The Kingsway on a Saturday afternoon, smashing windows and attacking shoppers. Finally, in the league fixture in December 1993, Swansea fans smashed up the main stand of Ninian Park, throwing broken seating into the neighbouring family section, while Cardiff fans fought with police on the pitch. After that, away fans were banned from the fixture for the next four years until 1997, when police begun the 'bubble' plan of corralling away fans. Unbelievably, the bubble only came to an end this season in 2019.

I know several long-time Swans fans who now refuse to go to the derby match, even in these relatively calmer times. And I'm sure there are plenty of decent Cardiff fans who feel the same way.

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Cut and paste from old Forum.
Saturday. 2019.

Well rested after a nice day in Bakersfield on the Friday with a few beers and lunch outdoors with an early night by my standards.

Had an early Continental breakfast and with a couple of rolls in a doggy bag we were away just after 07-00 for the projected ( Rome2Rio ) journey of 3 hrs 34'. This was a reasonable guess and arrived at Avaya at 11-00 . Sorted tickets out with the office there and had another proper breakfast pre game / lots of choice.

Major League Soccer. (Western Conference).
12-30.
San Jose Earthquakes 4 v 1 Chicago Fire.
@ Avaya Stadium , 1123 Coleman Avenue , San Jose.

San Jose - Daniel Vega , Floria Jungwirth , Nick Lima , Harold Cummings , Shea Salinas , Jackson Yueill , Anibal Goday , Tommy Thompson , Magnus Eriksson , Chris Wondolowski (4), Cristian Espinoza.
Subs - Valeri Qazaishvili for Espinoxza , Siad Haji for Wondolowski , Judson for Salinas.
Coach - Matias Almeyda.

Chicago - David Ousted , Marcelo , Johan Kappelhof , Francisco Calvo , Jorge Corrales , Dax McCarty , Alexsandar Katai (1) , Przemyslaw Frankowski , Brandt Bronico , C J Sapong , Nemanja Nikolic.
Subs - Djordje Mihailovic for Bronico , Mo Adams for Nikolic , Diego Campos for Corrales.
Coach - Veljko Paunovic.

Referee - Alex Chilowicz.

Nearly 42 years since last visit to San Jose, that time it was for San Jose Earthquakes on 27/ 06 / 77 with the visit of Tampa Bay Rowdies in the NASL , Rowdies winning 4 -1 @ Spartan Stadium in front of 17,612.

The early kick off as is the norm around the world was for TV purposes.

It was to be a MLS history making game , all season long 36 year old San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski has been after a goal to equal Landon Donovan's goals total of 145 in MLS games. Today after 20 minutes he did just that.
Not to be content with that he went on to beat that record to stand all alone as the MLS's leading goalscorer with an assist by Chicago Fire keeper David Ousted on 47 minutes , Ousted kindly dropping the ball at Chris's feet so he could tap the ball in for 146 . Two more followed and now the record is 148 with more to follow. Only 2 players are anywhere near him and still playing , they are Colorado Rapids striker Kei Kamara with 119 and Bradley Wright Phillips on 107 for New York Red Bulls , both are aged 34 and nearing their American end.

Image result for Chris Wondolowski

San Jose took Wondolowski off after 89 minutes so he could soak up the applause from everyone present. Well deserved.

Chicago Fire , rubbish on the day pulled a goal back but the 4-1 certainly flattered them !

Then it was an 85 mile / 2 hour slow drive to Napa for Saturday game number 2. Arrived as planned at 3253 Browns Valley Road , Napa and the Hop Creek Brew Pub. Good hour to kill and had a couple of 'Cheater' pints , one of their own 'Sucker Punch' IPA @ 7-5% ABV followed by another 'Cheater' of 'Block Party' @ 7-8% ABV.
'Block Party' brewed and paid for by host Stacey. Ta.

Driver not impressed (jealous) with my drinking but at least his coffee was only a $1 for as much as he wanted. Had a quick sandwich as well , bloody hell I had to take half to the game as it was enormous.

&

N P S L . West. ( S W Conference).

19-00.
Napa Valley 1839 1 v 4 Sacramento Gold.
@ Dodd Stadium, Justin Siena H S , 4026 Maher St , Napa.

b_field

Napa Valley - Salvador Gomez-Avila , Nomialay Hashim , Sebastien Herrera , Jorg Lualua , Mike Muniz , Luis Ochoa Martinez , Marco Gomez Reyes , Jorge Salazar ,Efren Torres , Javier Valdez-Raya , Osvaldo Velasquez-Vasquez.
Subs - Sullaman Khorani for Gomez-Avila , Andres Prieto for Lualua.
Coach - Rogello Ochoa.

Sacramento - Chris Christian , Daniel Cuevas (1) , Alexis Dionisio (1) , Nic Gonzalez (1 o g) Hector Grajeda , Javier Grajeda , Chase Gray (1), Ryley Kraft (1), Michael Mazzoni , Aroon Molina , David Villegas.
Subs - Roberto Mendoza for Cuevas , Jordan for Gray.
Coach - Ruben Mora.

Referee - Hector Vila.

Arrived at 18-15 and settled down in Press Box , mate got himself in too, then just to rub it in , it was Tannery Bend Beerworks day at Dodd Stadium with free samples upstairs for officials , although it was in half pint plastic glasses. It did not affect the alcoholic effect of the 7-0% ABV 'North Eastern IPA', in olden days I would have been a mess , today just happy.

Weather kept the crowd down , the heavy rain was hammering down on the press box.

Sacramento Gold made short work of Napa winning easily , first half was a fair contest with Gold only 2-1 up at half time , Napa actually went ahead with an own goal on 25 , a cross by Gomez was deflected in by Gonzalez (?). Gomez was keen to claim but the referee in his report put own goal.
10 mins later Kraft equalised and 5 mins later Gray tapped in a cross from Gonzalez.

Gold were well on top for the second half and won easily 4-1 with further goals by Cuevas (74) and Dionisio (85).

Long drive back to Bakersfield , the sandwich went down well en route.
Got back at 01-50 and in bed by 02-00 with a decision to be made in morning as to how we feel whether to do the morning game which means a departure of about 08-00 .

I went to bed with a feeling of why not , last day with an early finish and in hotel on Sunday night by 20-00 with no rush to get up on the Monday , just the driver to convince now !

EDIT. En route by 08-05 to get to first game of treble at Viking FC (11-00) and first look at SoCal Premier League. Good job there was no traffic on Sunday morning , we only had 15 minutes to spare in getting to Westgrove Park. :giggle: .

159 goals as I post.

28 x games , 2 x doubles , 0 x 0-0's.

Engraving Of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte 1870 Stock Illustration ...

Last edited: Yesterday at 12:25 PM
=================================================

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
Just one game
2018/19
Belstone 3 Evergreen 0 (47) HCL Prem Div

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Just six matches for me on this date over the years.

1982: Second Division - Orient 3 - 0 Leicester City - Att: 2,107
Orient's last match at Division Two level; a status to which they have not yet returned. Absolutely typical of the O's to put in a decent performance now that it is too late and hardly anybody is watching. I do have half a memory though that Leicester were already on the beach and not trying very hard.

1997: RSC Anderlecht 6 - 0 Royal Charleroi SC - Att: 11,000
My second of three visits so far to the Stade Constant Vanden Stock, and I had a really good seat in the front row of the upper tier of the main stand. The match was one-way traffic. Anderlecht should pay me to come here, as my aggregate score for my three visits is 15-1 (7-0, 6-0 & 2-1). After the match I had an uncomfortable night trying to sleep on a bench at Oostende ferry port. German railways had happily sold me a through ticket from Koln to London via Brussels and including the Oostende - Ramsgate overnight ferry, despite the fact that this ferry service had been axed a couple of weeks earlier.

2003: 1 Division - BK Frem 2 - 1 Aarhus Fremad - Att: 1,749
A morning kick-off in Copenhagen. I really warmed to Frem, who seemed like a very nice club, and vowed that I would be back for more one day. Seventeen years on and that day has not yet arrived.

2003: Allsvenskan - Malmo FF 4 - 0 Enkoping SK - Att: 10,462
One of only three occasions that I can remember when I have seen football in two different countries in the same day. My second visit to the old Malmo Stadion and a very different atmosphere from when I saw England play France here eleven years earlier. Next time I was in town it was to see a match at a new stadium built across the road from here.

2012: Regionaliga Sud - FC Memmingen 3 - 3 1FC Nurnberg II - Att: 1,170
A Friday night fixture in what was really a beer garden weekend. We'd had a few by kick-off time.

2019: Essex Olympian League - Basildon Town 2 - 1 AFC Shenfield - Att: 170
Basildon Town play at the Basildon Sports & Leisure Club, which is one of I think five separate sports grounds (four football and one rugby) in one large green space in the north of the town - all of them are an excessive walk from the railway station. By the time of this fixture, Shenfield were confirmed as champions and Basildon Town could finish nowhere but second. And both clubs were looking forward to promotion to the top division. But there was plenty of pride at stake and this was a good game in front of a decently-sized crowd.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Tuesday May 18th 1982
English League Division One
Middlesbrough v Liverpool, 0-0, Att 17431
At Ayresome Park

Drove down from Edinburgh for this with a car load of fellow students. It was my one and only visit to Ayresome Park and I have to say I wasn’t very impressed. We watched from a paddock in front of a grandstand but conditions were, to say the least, primitive. I also recall that it was seriously overcrowded and I have great reservations about the veracity of the attendance given that night. I suspect it was substantially more. With Ayresome Park having been a World Cup I was expecting rather more. The stands were small and rickety, the terracing poorly raked, and the entrances and exits were cramped.

The locals were also somewhat unfriendly. We avoided any trouble but I do remember running battles in the streets outside with the home fans giving the visitors a real chasing.

Liverpool had clinched the League title on the Saturday . Middlesbrough were bottom of the table and confirmed as relegated as the teams took the field for the final match of the season.

Teams:
Boro: Jim Platt, John Craggs, Ian Bailey, Tony McAndrew, Mick Baxter, Joe Bolton, Bobby Thomson, Heini Otto, David Hodgson, Gordon McDonald, David Thomas. Sub Billy Ashcroft
Liverpool: Bruce Grobbelaar, Steve Nicol, Mark Lawrenson, Alan Kennedy, Craig Johnston, Phil Thompson, Kenny Dalglish, Sammy Lee, Ian Rush, Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness. Sub Terry McDermott

From the Boro side I immediately recognise former St Johnstone youngster Bobby “Psycho” Thomson. He moved on to Morton and made a good name for himself, earning a move to Middlesbrough. However, that was a level too far for the player who returned to Scotland quite quickly. Jim Platt was a well known Northern Irish goalkeeper and I knew David Thomas from his days with Burnley and QPR. Boro were managed by Bobby Murdoch, a Lisbon Lion with Celtic in 1967.

The Liverpool side was wall-to-wall internationalists and clearly on a different level. Sadly for us they were in holiday mode by this time and were content to see out a goalless draw which meant they finished the season on a 16 game unbeaten run of 13 wins and 3 draws. Second placed Ipswich pushed them hard but the concession of all 4 points to Liverpool (0-4 and 0-2) when they met proved costly. We only saw glimpses of the deadly Dalglish-Rush combination with Platt having to make a few decent saves in the second half. The closest thing to a goal was an audacious chip by Dalglish which hit the bar.

Craig Johnson, a former Boro player, captained his team for the first time. He was booked for a foul on Bobby Thomson which saw the Scot limping off.

Just as Ayresome Park didn’t impress me, neither did the town of Middlesbrough. We had arrived early and parked near the ground, and headed off in search of the town centre. If we found it then it was underwhelming.

Boro.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1996 Combined Counties League Premier Division Reading Town v Cranleigh 3-2

Memorable for so many reasons. I had travelled down ahead of watching Northwich Vics in the FA Trophy Final at Wembley the following day staying at a mate’s who I think was based in Surbiton back then. We headed off to Reading with a road name the only clue as to where the ground was. No internet maps then and no A-Z for the area. A couple of stops to ask saw us strike lucky early and remarkably we found the ground easily. It was raining. The game kicked off early unbeknown to us, but we did not miss much. It was just a railed pitch with hardstanding, the stand having collapsed mid-season due to wind/snow/both. The programme was very good.

The comedy moment in the game was when a defender played a harmlessly slow back pass to the rather rotund keeper. He stooped to collect it, stubbed his toe on the ball and passed it straight to a grateful striker who slotted it home. Yes, we laughed quite a lot. I can’t remember which side he played for.

It was a game though which even by hopping standards was getting very late in the season. Probably the final game of their season.

1997 Stones Bitter Super League II Warrington Wolves v Bradford Bulls Lost 14-38

Bradford were a good side back then, but paid for it terribly in later years

1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Ysceifiog v Henllan Lost 5-1

2000 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llandyrnog Lost 0-8

2002 Birmingham County FA Saturday Vase Final (at Birmingham County FA Ground)

Wolverhampton United v Grosvenor Park 2-6 (aet 90 mins 2-2).

I don’t know anything about Grosvenor Park. I don’t see the named around anymore. Not a club I ever visited, unlike Wolverhampton United

This was the only time I visited this county FA venue. It was railed, enclosed and had cover. Not a bad set up really. I think Bustleholme’s original ground was behind it, and a second Sunday League pitch alongside, but all completely separate

2004 JW Hunt Cup Final (@ Wolverhampton Wanderers FC) Cadbury Athletic v Great Wyrley 1-3

My only ever visit to Molyneux and an inexpensive way to tick a top-level ground. There was a prog I think? Not sure now

2005 SportsJam Kits Shropshire County League Premier Division Hanwood United v Broseley Juniors 3-5

Pre this grounds redevelopment. It was enclosed but pretty basic. No prog as I recall, but I got one from them at some point

2010 Frank Armitt Liverpool County Premier League Division One REMYCA United v Edge Hill Old Boys 5-0

Struggling to fully recall this but it was not where they play now as Litherland REMYCA). A roped pitch I think but not one in a huge sports field, and possibly with a railway embankment down one side, possibly from a disused line? Well it was ten years ago.

2013 Active 8 West Yorkshire League Division One Ilkley Town v Hunslet Club 1-2

A roped pitch on a sports field. They play at the same site but on a different (3G) pitch now. Had an old prog (possibly a one off)

2014 Magic Weekend and all for

First Utility Super League XIX Round 14 (at Manchester City FC)

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Castleford Tigers 12-50

Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls 54-16

Warrington Wolves v St. Helens WON 41-24 and boy did we enjoy this mauling of our dear neighbours. I think we may have upset one or two Saints fans nearby who failed to see the funny side of some of our comments – they were not used to losing let alone getting hammered, and by The Wire too.

2017 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Rhewl Won 5-1

South Wales FA Promotion Play-off Semi Final (@ Bridgend Street FC)

Penygraig United v Ynysybwl 1-5

South Wales FA Promotion Play-off Semi Final (@ Caerau (Ely) FC)

Fairwater v Maesteg Park 2-3

Two great Welsh League grounds. Enclosed with cover. A thoroughly enjoyable day out with Andy D

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 18th May 1997
Keighley Cougars 18 Huddersfield Giants 12 (HT 14-4)
Division One (3.15)
Attendance 4,265
Programme £1.20 (36pp)

Lawkholme Lane (aka Cougar Park) doesn’t often see crowds this big nowadays. A decent turnout for a fixture BBC Radio Leeds would describe as a West Yorkshire derby. At the time, I was living on a sheep farm overlooking the scenic Ponden Valley, so Keighley were my nearest team.

Huddersfield went into this second tier match lying second behind Hull Sharks (a short-lived nickname, thankfully), with Keighley, along with Whitehaven and Wakefield Trinity, on the fringe of the promotion race. Cougars were buoyed by an improved performance last time out. They’d edged visitors Featherstone Rovers 34-30 to arrest a run of hit-and-miss results.

In the programme’s Coaches Only column, player-coach Simon Irving wrote: “We showed tremendous character to come back and snatch the game [against Featherstone] in the dying seconds. Everyone involved with the performance can take a great deal of credit from it and we showed that we are not the soft touch that people thought we were. I keep stressing how important your support is to us, especially when we go behind, so keep on shouting for the lads, whatever the score.”

The front cover of Keighley’s 1997 programme featured the Sir Cliff Richard quote: “Rugby league is the rock and roll of sport.” As I recall, Sir Cliff had sung at Wembley in the build-up to a Challenge Cup Final and really enjoyed his first experience of watching live rugby league.

The Not Many People Know That page featured one or two items of interest. Such as … During the enforced closure of rugby league during the First World War many clubs, having no gate receipts, faced a real financial struggle. This resulted in Oldham, Broughton Rangers and Wigan selling their grandstands for timber!” No £16m COVID-19esque aid package available back then?

Teams:

Cougars: St John Ellis; Andy Eyres, Simon Irving, Regis Pastre-Courtine, Simon Wray; Paul Owen, Chris Robinson; Lafaele Filipo, Jason Ramshaw, Grant Doorey, Darren Fleary, Sonny Whakarau, Robert Roberts. Replacements (all used): Lee Hanlan, Phil Cantillon, Mark Gamson, Ian Gately.

Fartown: Jamie Coventry; Adrian Belle, Dave King, Dean Hanger, Steve Booth; Garry Schofield, Ali Davys; Neil Harmon, Danny Russell, Jon Neill, Paul Dixon, Matt Sturm, Phil Veivers. Replacements (all used): Darryl Derose, Joe Berry, Tony Bowes, Nick Fozzard.

Keighley’s win, which avenged a 12-36 March 16 defeat at the Blue Banana, owed much to a strong opening half-hour. Darren Fleary and Regis Pastre-Courtine crossed for Cougars. French centre Pastre-Courtine had played in Super League’s first match, the previous season’s Paris St Germain-Sheffield Eagles encounter at Stade Sebastien Charlety. Irving landed a penalty and both conversions to open up a 14-0 lead. Huddersfield’s Dave King then scored two tries, either side of the interval. Irving (52) went over again after intercepting a Dean Hanger pass. Joe Berry got a try back but Fartown’s misery was complete when, in stoppage time, Hanger was sent off for retaliating to a Mark Ganson high tackle on Steve Booth.

Sadly, a player from each team has since died, at a tragically young age: Cougars full-back St John Ellis, a real favourite for Castleford Tigers earlier in his career, at 41; and, at 42, Huddersfield wing Booth, who after switching codes went on to play rugby union with distinction for Bath and Leicester.

Football (scraping the barrel this late in the season):

Dunnington 6 Riccall United 0 @ Wilberboss Playing Fields (2016, York League, Senior Cup, Final). Riccall, when 0-1 down, had a player sent off for dissent then lost shape and discipline. Dunnington rubbed salt in the wound by scoring three times in as many minutes as the game entered stoppage time. Seventy-five in attendance at a typically featureless York League ground.

Marchon 0 Carlisle United 2 @ Falcon Field, Egremont (1990, Cumberland Cup, Final). A comfortable win for Carlisle’s youth team over Wearside League opposition hosting this showpiece on their own ground, a railed pitch, part of Wyndham School’s playing fields, with dressing rooms some distance away. A couple of hundred or so watching but the Cumberland FA couldn’t be bothered to issue a programme. Marchon relates to a former chemical works at Whitehaven, established by Fred Marzillier and Frank Schon. In its later years, the plant was owned and operated by Albright & Wilson. It shut in 2005 and was demolished.

Other sports:

Eastmoor Dragons 14 Drighlington 18 (2019, rugby league, National Conference League, Division Three). A revisit, on an unpleasantly muggy afternoon, to a two-pitch set-up east of Wakefield’s centre. The score suggests this derby (of sorts) between mid-table teams was more exciting than it was. Drighlington ran in four tries to two but the first three were touched down in the right corner, too wide to convert. The visitors went over from the first set, inside a minute, before an Eastmoor brace saw Dragons lead 12-4. The hosts squandered excellent field position in the closing stages through a dismal lack of creativity.

Berwick Bandits 50 Poole Pirates 40 (1991, speedway, British League, Division One). An encouraging win at Berrington Lough for Berwick, who lost Kelvin Tatum after two rides. Tatum (5+1) was in discomfort after being injured a week earlier at Cradley Heath. The timely return to form of second strings David Blackburn (9+1) and David Walsh (9) tipped this top-flight meeting in Bandits’ favour. Swede Jimmy Nilsen had four straight wins before being excluded from the last heat for tape breaking. Poole, for whom Steve Schofield (13+1) and reserve Tony Langdon (11+3) led the fight, were hampered by No 1 Marvyn Cox, uncharacteristically below par, contributing a point from four rides.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1 POSF 2.
Leicester City 2 Tranmere Rovers 1. (22,539)
A David Speedie goal 5 minutes from time averted ET after the goalless draw at Preston Park a few days earlier and sent city to Wembley for the third successive season and this time it was third time lucky.

Scottish Cup Final.
Rangers 5. Hearts 1.
Adm. £17.
Prog. £2.50.
Att. 37,730.
A blistering performance from Gers who won this one at a canter with a treble front Gordon Durie and a double from the more than impressive Brian Laudrup made this a very happy weekend in Glasgow indeed.

Jupilar Liga.
Royal Antwerp 2 Club Brugge 1.
Adm. 600 F.
Prog. 50 F.
Att.16,000.
Brugge could have taken the title today but made a right mess of things. They had a two point lead over Lierse SK with just two rounds of the season remaining and while they were getting beat amid very ugly crowd scenes Lierse were stuffing Genk 5-2 and the win at Standard Liege the following week made the Brugge win over Gent meaningless.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
1997: RSC Anderlecht 6 - 0 Royal Charleroi SC - Att: 11,000
After the match I had an uncomfortable night trying to sleep on a bench at Oostende ferry port. German railways had happily sold me a through ticket from Koln to London via Brussels and including the Oostende - Ramsgate overnight ferry, despite the fact that this ferry service had been axed a couple of weeks earlier.
I remember this as I was making a lot of Sunday daytrips on this ferry route at the time. Sally Line (or whoever was operating the service) gave only about a month's advance warning of it ending. I think the last ferry was in late March or early April 1997.

How did you get back to the UK on that occasion?

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1997 Juventus 1 Parma 1 Serie A crowd approx 40,000 Stadio delli Alpi

With 3 rounds of fixtures to go this was first at home to second and with Juve holding a 2 point lead it meant that Parma had to come and win so effectively it was a form of title decider. In spite of this the crowd was some way short of the 67,000 capacity as the ground was a bit concrete and unlovely as well as being a long way out from the town centre which eventually led to it being pulled down. All the cheap seats behind the goals had long since been sold but they were happy to sell me a seat along the side for what seemed an extortionate price of approx 45 pounds and there was enough room to move seats to get in the shade on a hot afternoon.
I had seen Juventus play at home in the Stadio Comunale before back in 1985 when I was there to witness a 2-2 draw with Cesena but Italian football had since come on leaps and bounds with stars aplenty, and its easy to forget what a great side Parma had at the time. Parma took the lead after about half an hour which was good from the neutral’s point of view, the goal being an own goal by Zinedine Zidane but this was cancelled out just before half time by an equaliser from Amoruso. The second half was a bit tame as Juve in classic style just defended the point they needed and the game which promised so much fizzled out in the languid heat to a 1-1 draw.
I don’t remember a lot after the game although it was less chaotic getting back into Turin than you might expect. 10 days later Juventus went down 3-1 in the European Cup Final to Borussia Dortmund but they managed to hold off Parma to clinch the title.

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
I remember this as I was making a lot of Sunday daytrips on this ferry route at the time. Sally Line (or whoever was operating the service) gave only about a month's advance warning of it ending. I think the last ferry was in late March or early April 1997.

How did you get back to the UK on that occasion?
Wasnt there a hydrofoil too?

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Regular
Just one game
2018/19
Belstone 3 Evergreen 0 (47) HCL Prem Div
The search for an end of season match also led me to the lovely rural Belstone ground on Watling Street between Borehamwood and Radlett for this Herts Senior County League match. Quite a few hoppers in attendance. Kick off was 1300, so I guess the cup final or some such match was on later.

Belstone were in mid table but Evergreen were doomed to relegation. Belstone's first goal went in after 20 seconds but we then had to wait until a penalty on 73 and another goal on 79 for the scoring to be completed. Belstone's stand is wonderful ; a small covered area with around a dozen loose chairs inside. Ready for the social distancing era! There's also a small clubhouse and decent parking, so pretty good facilities for Step 7.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Plenty of goals on this date:

Olton Royale v Sherwood Celtic 6-5
Mid Com Premier

Cefn Druids v Rhydymwyn 5-2
Cymru Alliance

Willows v Hollinwood 6-0
Manchester Lge D1

Great Wyrley v Lucas Sports 2-0
West Midlands Lge Division 1 cup final
@Gornal Ath.

Meltham Ath. v Morley Tn 5-0
West Riding Co. Amateur D2

SC Schwanenstadt v FC Gratkorn 3-1
Austrian Erste Liga

Boca Seniors v Torridgeside 2-2
N.Devon Premier

Appledore II v Bideford CAFC 5-1
N.Devon Senior

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Wasnt there a hydrofoil too?
Yes, there was so perhaps that was how Stephen got back. However, it was very vulnerable to cancellation if the seas were rough and it ceased operation many years ago, probably in the early years of this century.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Jupilar Liga.- Royal Antwerp 2 Club Brugge 1.
Brugge could have taken the title today but made a right mess of things. They had a two point lead over Lierse SK with just two rounds of the season remaining and while they were getting beat amid very ugly crowd scenes Lierse were stuffing Genk 5-2 and the win at Standard Liege the following week made the Brugge win over Gent meaningless.
Yes Lierse could have bottled it and handed the title to Brugge.
But it was Brugge that bottled it , they thought they had it in the bag with a 1-0 win at Anderlecht in R31 and then beating local rivals Cercle 3-0 in R32.
Unfortunately the ONE point lead did them no good with this result against Antwerp.

1​
Club Brugge KV, Belgium
Club Brugge KV
32​
21​
5​
6​
67:32​
35​
68​
2​
Lierse SK, Belgium
Lierse SK
32​
19​
10​
3​
62:36​
26​
67​
Standard were very happy apparently losing 3-0 at home to Lierse in the last round , they had nothing to play for not even a European place and they have no fondness for Brugge.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Yes, there was so perhaps that was how Stephen got back. However, it was very vulnerable to cancellation if the seas were rough and it ceased operation many years ago, probably in the early years of this century.
I think the Seacat service ceased operation in 2003 and had something to do with Sally lines packing in.

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 18 May 1996
Handrahan Timbers 4-1 West Midlands Fire Service

Midland Combination Premier Div
Attendance: 18
No prog

Played at Mile Flat Sports Ground in Wall Heath, Kingswinford. I remember there was a car park and changing rooms near the entrance that then led to a small training area, beyond which was the main football pitch. It was a pleasant rural location with the fully railed pitch tightly enclosed on both sides and, I think, a small stand on the left side. As was fairly common in the top division of the Mid Comb at the time, there were no floodlights.

The club had 17 years in the league, steadily rising to the top division where they remained until resigning in 2003. Google Maps suggests that the ground is still in use.

Wednesday 18 May 1988
Chelsea 4-1 Blackburn Rovers

Football League Div 2 Play-offs semi-final 2nd leg
Attendance: 22,757
Admission: £4, paid at turnstiles
36 page prog, £1, very good and included a 4 page ‘fashion’ feature on the Chelsea Spring 88 collection

This was in the day when the play-offs included a relegation candidate from the higher division, in this case Chelsea. They were already ahead from the first leg and never looked like surrendering their advantage, although they lost the final against Middlesbrough and went down to Div 2. One of the scorers for Chelsea that day was Kerry Dixon, grabbing his first goal at the Bridge for seven months apparently, and the team also included familiar faces such as Pat Navin and Gordon Durie.

I was in the Shed End and my main memory is of someone moaning loadly for all to hear - “Why am I here when I could be watching Coronation Street with the wife”, “Why am I here when I could be watching paint dry” etc. He attracted a few laughs at first but it soon became pretty tedious and when Chelsea went ahead he started receiving abuse - “Why are you here? **** off!” - and became strangely quiet, assuming he was still in the ground.

The ground itself was an unusual place and felt very open. It was oval shaped, with a disused track around the pitch, although the impressive three-tier new stand was built closer to the action. Opposite was a bland, boxy single-tier seated stand, the far end was open terracing, and the Shed End was partly open but had a relatively small cover at an odd angle to the pitch. The vast spaces around the pitch meant that many TV viewers instantly recognised Stamford Bridge from those pale blue, three-wheeled cars for the disabled that would be positioned around the pitch, but I’m not sure this practice was still happening when I visited.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks