May 19th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
On this day in 1499, Arthur, Prince of Wales and heir to the throne of the Kingom married Catherine of Aragon
(It was a marriage by proxy, they were not both at the ceremony)
She was 13, he was 12

Arthur died in 1501, meaning Henry became heir to the throne - Catherine then married Henry
When Catherine did not bear children for Henry, they divorced, and caused the commencement of the English reformation

Henry then married Anne Boleyn

On this day in 1536, Anne Boleyn was beheaded for crimes of Adultery, Incest and High Treason, (or for not bearing a son, or for arguing with Thomas Cromwell). She had one child, a daugher, Elizabeth who would of course become queen

Whether you visited the Boleyn Ground on this day, or anywhere else, let everyone know about it

The vulture

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Birth of Ho Chi Minh.
Marxist revolutionary, inspirational leader, master tactician.

One of Time magazine's 100 most significant people of the 20th century.
Reduce that list to 10 and he'd still be in it.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Welsh Cup Final 2nd leg
Bangor City 0-2 Shrewsbury Town (agg 1-5)
Attendance 1,800

Bangor C: B Lloyd, Gunn, P Lunn, G Williams, J Banks, N Powell, B Urquhart, P Whelan, V Williams (Fuller), E Williams, A Morris

Shrewsbury T: Perks, W Williams, P Johnson, R McLaren, C Griffin, Cross, G Hackett, Petts (Nardiello), Stevens, C Robinson, P Tester

Referee H King (Troedyrhiw)

Shrews finished 8th in Div 2 (now Championship) and Bangor finished 10th in the NPL this season.

Big crowd for this Sunday game at Farrar Road but a cupset never looked likely as Shrews retained the trophy. Even first half, captain McLaren chipped Salop into a second half lead to kill off the tie, City's Viv Williams rounded the keeper but missed an equaliser by shooting wide, and Stevens tapped home Tester's cross for a late second to make doubly sure.

Bangor were happy enough, having knocked out Newport County in the semis to already guarantee themselves a place in Europe for only the second time. They even got through a round in that 85/6 Cup Winners Cup campaign, knocking out Fedrikstad before a memorable and honourable 3-0 aggregate defeat to Atletico Madrid (the first leg with Atletico was played at Farrar Road. I've got the programme somewhere, must try to dig it out).

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Thursday @ 19-30.☹
Tier 2 @ Highfield Road.
Coventry City 2 v 2 Bristol City.

Coventry - Les Sealey , Graham Oakey , Mick Coop , Bobby McDonld , Jim Holton , John Beck , Barry Powell , Terry Yorath , Mike Ferguson , Ian Wallace , Tommy Hutchison (2).
Manager - Gordon Milne.

Bristol City - John Shaw , Gary Collier , Don Gillies (1) , Trevor Tainton , Clive Whitehead , Norman Hunter , Gerry Gow (1) , Jimmy Mann , Tom Ritchie , Chris Garland , Gerry Sweeney.
Sub - Peter Cormack for Whitehead.
Manager - Alan Dicks.

Referee - Ron Challis (Tonbridge).

The infamous delayed kick off at Highfield Road , media of the day were saying the game kicked off 15 minutes late , I have it down in notes as 9/10 minutes delay . Allegedly to let fans in that had been delayed by traffic problems , at this point of time the delay was down to police / referee Challis with a hint of 'Chinny' trying to sway things. If it was a 19-45 kick off officially it kicked off early by my ever right chronometer.
For the conspiracy theorists among you , Alan Dicks was second in command to Jimmy Hill at Coventry before going Bristol City.

It is quite funny / sad re the difference in the media the following day about the time scale of events , lets see what others say about this as I know at least 2 other posters were there that write on this thread. ?

The Jimmy Hill situation was that at the close of the second half with the score at 2-2 and Bristol City looking good to score another in the remaining 10 (?) minutes which would have relegated Coventry , Hill / Coventry put up on the electronic scoreboard the final score of the Everton 2 v 0 Sunderland game which meant the 2-2 draw would be enough to save both teams and relegate Sunderland.
The media also say it was announced over the tannoy , I didn't here but the players were aware anyway.
Off with his head.

The remaining play of the second half was a fiasco with Bristol keeping possession with square passing for about 5 minutes at one stage.
Cheating ---------- , add your own word/words.

I can do no better than Peter Spencer in Part 4 of 'The Great Escape'.

Thursday 19th May
The big relegation night. What would Sky call it these days? Terrific Thursday, Titanic Thursday? Well no, they’d have changed the schedule to a weekend. These were the days without one major final Super Sunday.
So, a Thursday night before the FA Cup Final it was.

Sunderland were at Goodison Park to take on Everton, who were in fourteenth. But the big game was at Highfield Road where Coventry City met Bristol City.
Bristol City were at a slight disadvantage as they’d played Saturday and Monday, whereas Coventry had just played the Saturday. But to cushion the effect, Bristol City’s win over Champions, Liverpool, on Monday night had meant they were within touching distance of playing them again the following season.

Bristol City had only come up the season before, after sixty-five years out of the big time. Coventry City were promoted to the First Division in 1967 for the first time in their history. There was a lot at stake for both clubs.
Relegated from the First Division in 1970, Sunderland had spent the last six seasons in Division Two before finishing top of the table the season before this one. They were without Tony Towers, their only international (capped three times the year before). Bobby Kerr, the only survivor from their iconic FA Cup win over Leeds in 1973, came in for him.

Over at Highfield Road both teams were unchanged. Midweek games kicked off at 7:30pm. According to Coventry Chairman, Jimmy Hill, many supporters were caught up in traffic around the ground. So keen was he that everyone who wanted to get in the ground would be able to without missing a minute of action, he delayed the kick-off. This was pretty unusual – the delay not the congestion. But no one questioned this, the referee must’ve agreed so too the Police.
Now remember these were the days before social media, internet, Radio Five etc. Consequently neither ground knew what was going on at the other. So the Sunderland kicked-off not realising Coventry and Bristol hadn’t.
Everton took the lead through Bob Latchford. His seventeenth of the season. At the break Everton still lead 1-0.
Coventry’s Tommy Hutchison put the home side in front and this too was the only goal of the game when they broke for half-time.
As things stood, Bristol City were going down. Their inferior goal difference to Sunderland meant they would finish below them. But if they could get an equaliser then it would send Sunderland down. If Sunderland then found an equaliser too then Coventry would be relegated. It was all to play for.
In the second half the next goal at Goodison didn’t go to the visitors. Everton, who had nothing to play for, doubled their lead when Bruce Rioch scored. Sunderland were now in trouble yet as long as one of the sides at Highfield Road was winning, they were safe.
Then there was a goal at Highfield Road. Tommy Hutchison scored his second of the game to give Coventry a 2-0 lead. Bristol City now looked unlikely to resurrect their season. Sunderland could now relax a bit. Or so they thought.
A cross from the left to the right-hand side of the Coventry area, was headed back by Don Gillies straight to Gerry Gow. He was unmarked and able to fire home a goal for the visitors. This was Gow’s twenty-seventh game of the season and he was yet to score. Until tonight.
Sunderland were in a precarious position. Another goal for Bristol City and they were down. If there was to be another goal at Highfield Road then they needed the home side to get it. There was little chance of Sunderland getting back into their match.
There was another goal at Highfield Road. Again the ball was crossed to the right side of the Coventry penalty area and once Don Gillies was there but this time he had space and time to volley it past Les Sealey. The travelling support went nuts. From two goals down and going down, they were now back in the race.
The final whistle blew at Goodison Park. Everton had won 2-0. Sunderland fans were now finding out from the few who had transistor radios with them, that the Coventry game was still going on.

In the early days of Jimmy Hill’s management at Coventry, he had been a pioneer by installing an electronic scoreboard in the ground. No other clubs had one. By 1977 few clubs had seen the point. But right now they were able to take full advantage of this. Flashed up on the screen was the final score from Goodison Park.

As if to ram home the fact, Jimmy Hill also raced up to the tannoy announcer and told him to announce the final score. So now everyone in the ground, particularly the players were aware both clubs were safe. Witnesses have declared what followed was mainly two sets of players just knocking the ball around between themselves with no fear of being tackled. No more shots on goal. A truce, if you like. The Guardian reported “what had been an intensely physical contest dissolved farcically”. Therefore the game ended 2-2 and both clubs were safe from relegation.
Coventry City2:2Bristol City
Everton2:0Sunderland
PosPGDPts
16QPR40-536
17West Ham42-1936
18Bristol City42-1035
19Coventry City42-1135
20Sunderland42-634
21Stoke City42-2334
22Tottenham42-2433

See the source image

40 x games (39 + 1 Summer) ,1 x double , 2 x trebles , 2 x 0-0's,(24 x foreign).
=================================================

Last edited:

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
2015 - Irlam Reserves 6 Witton Albion Reserves 1 (HT 1-0) - Cheshire League 2
My 1st and only visit to Silver Street - Attendance 25

This being the final game of the season, Irlam Reserves needed a unlikely 9 goal win to overtake Mersey Valley and finish 3rd, or just a win to finish the season 4th. It was only 1-0 at the break (scored on 22 mins) and so finishing 3rd looked way out of reach... but then the goals came in the 2nd half. 2-0 was on 48 mins and we had torrential rain on the hour. Then it was 3 goals in 7 mins to make it 5-0 by 68 mins. 9 was on the cards... then came a Witton penalty instead, with the 6th Irlam goal in injury time at the end. So a good game, pleasant ground, food and drink available, and then the adventures started on my way home...

I decided to take an ill-judged shortcut to the East Lancs Road across Chat Moss, and by the time I got to Astley Bridge level crossing in the pitch dark, I met a car head on crossing the opposite way, so moved over slightly so he could pass, in the dark not realising there wasn't enough room for that on the raised crossing, and drove 2 wheels down off it and wedged my wheels in the train track. Long story short, I got towed off the tracks and delayed the Liverpool train by 20 mins. I'l stick to the M62 next time.

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
2012/13 Spurs 1 Sunderland 0 (36,063) Prem Lge
2017/18 Buntingford Town 1 FC Lemsford 1 (34) HCL Prem Div
2018/19 Cray Valley PM 1 Chertsey Town 3 (42,962) FA Vase Final
AFC Flyde 1 Leyton Orient 0 (42,962) FA Trophy Final

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
1990 – Barrow 3 Leek Town 0 (FA Trophy Final)
2001 – Redhill 2 Pagham 0 (Sussex County League Division 1)
2018 – Buntingford 1 FC Lemsford 1 (Herts county league premier) - This match was advertised as a 2pm kick off, however me & my friend arrived at 1:15 to discover the match had already started, (15 minutes earlier) both clubs agreed to kick off earlier so none of them would miss the cup final which was a 5:15 kick off.
2019 – Chertsey Town 3 Cray Valley PM 1 (AET) (FA Vase Final)
2019 – AFC Fylde 1 Leyton Orient 0 (FA Trophy Final)

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Matches are starting to thin out a bit for me - just five on this date:

1989: President's Cup Final - Southend United reserves 2 - 2 Orient reserves - Att: 1,115
A Friday evening cup final at Roots Hall; my seventh of 18 matches here and the only one I have watched from the side of the pitch rather than one of the ends. Only the main stand was open and we took up position in the old paddock at the front. I'm pretty sure the match was settled by penalties. My mind is blank this early in the morning, but perhaps by the time I get home this-evening I will have remembered who won and be able to update this entry. I had my passport in my pocket because at the end of the match it was into Tony E's car for a drive down to Dover and an overnight ferry to Calais.

2012: Austria Regionaliga West - FC Dornbirn 1913 5 - 1 TSV Neumarkt am Wallersea - Att: 334
An early arrival by train into the Voralberg allowed for some good pre-match sightseeing and beer garden action. No wonderful, mountainous backdrop here unfortunately at this pleasant, small ground which has more of a suburban setting. A nice relaxed atmosphere, with a good proportion of the crowd gathering around the beer kiosks rather than sat in the stand.

2014: Hertfordshire County League - Cuffley 0 - 4 Standon & Puckeridge Att: c.41
A rare foray for me into the Herts County League, Cuffley being easily accessible by train from London for an after-work early kick-off. Basic facilities and a bone hard pitch here, with the Zeps outplayed by S&P.

2019 Double-header:
FA Vase Final - Chertsey Town 3 - 1 Cray Valley Paper Mills - Att: substantially less than 42,962
FA Trophy Final - AFC Fylde 1 - 0 Leyton Orient - Att: a little less than 42,962

My seventh and eighth visit to the new version of Wembley Stadium. There was a lot of interest amongst O's supporters in the fact that much-loved former striker Kevin Lisbie would be playing in the first game for the Millers. Unfortunately this interest did not translate into many of the 25,000 Orient supporters turning up in time to watch this game. I was in a block of 115 friends that had bought tickets together and 114 of them had found something better to do during the first match - and I would have liked to be drinking cheaper beer somewhere at that time too. At least this meant that I could move to the front row of the upper tier to watch the Vase final and have some idea of what was going on.

My actual seat was ridiculously high up and had an exceptionally poor view for the second game - distant ants. This was the third time I had seen Orient at Wembley and the third time I had seen them lose. I missed their first two visits when they used the ground for a couple of home League fixtures in 1930. From kick off it was clear that the O's weren't really up for this game and that fact, combined with the very poor view, meant that most people around me lost interest very quickly. For everyone connected with Orient, the bigger prize of the league championship was already in the bag. I'm pleased though for AFC Fylde, a nice club who took this game seriously and deserved to get something out of a season where they had played well and might in another year have won the league.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Wednesday 19th May 1993
York City 1 Bury 0 (HT 0-0)
York City won 1-0 on aggregate
Division Three Play-Off Semi-Final, Second Leg (7.45)
Attendance 9,206
Programme £1 (28pp)

Big night at Bootham Crescent as the bulk of a large crowd gathered to see if York could secure a first trip to Wembley. Having held Bury to a goalless draw in the Gigg Lane first leg, thanks in no small part to goalkeeper Dean Kiely’s heroics, the Minstermen were in confident mood.

In the Manager’s View programme notes, Alan Little described as a “blow” City’s failure, by four points and a place, to secure automatic promotion but suggested the possibility of playing beneath the Twin Towers offered “no bigger incentive”. Little added: “Whatever happens there has been a terrific improvement throughout the club in the last eight months which can only be good for the future.”

As the dark days of the 1980s receded, the programme’s Third Division Scene reported a 6.1 per cent rise in Football League attendances. The seasonal aggregate had reached 10.9 million. Division Two showed a “huge” increase in crowds of 15.9 per cent. York’s average home league attendance was 3,946, compared to 2,528 for 1991-92. Interestingly, City’s average crowd at Bootham Crescent during the uncompleted 2019-20 season, in what amounts to Division Six (North), was 2,705.

Raymond Wynn, penning the Supporters Club column, described the evening as “go for it time”. Wynn found space to sympathise with Halifax Town, who had just been relegated to the Conference. “It is sad to see our neighbours drop out of the League. The Shaymen have provided some tricky situations for City over the years. Whatever happens to them now [and it was by no means certain Halifax would carry on], I wish them good luck. I know how sad their supporters must feel.”

Reflecting on the interest this second leg had generated, City secretary Keith Usher told the Yorkshire Evening Press (then still a broadsheet): “The telephone hasn’t stopped ringing with people asking about tickets and admission prices. There are obviously people coming who are not regulars judging by the places we receive calls from.” Usher expected a crowd up to 8,000. His estimate was some way out! The 9,206 who turned up represented York’s biggest attendance since March 1986, when 12,752 watched a 1-1 draw with Liverpool in the FA Cup fifth round.

Good to see the programme cover (below) displaying an historical York structure. Bootham Bar, one of the main gates in the city walls, was the dominant image.

Teams:

Minstermen: Dean Kiely, Andy McMillan, Wayne Hall, Nigel Pepper, Paul Stancliffe, Paul Atkin, Jon McCarthy, Tony Canham, Paul Barnes, Gary Swann, Ian Blackstone (John Borthwick, 90). Sub (not used): Steve Tutill.

Shakers: Gary Kelly, Derek Ward, Roger Stanislaus, Ian Hughes, Peter Valentine, Alan Knill, David Adekola (Darren Lyons, 45), Tony Rigby, Andy Reid, Ian Stevens, Liam Robinson. Sub (not used): Lee Anderson.

The match was as tight as the previous Sunday’s at Gigg Lane. York-born Gary Swann scored the winner - his first City goal - after 59 minutes. Paul Barnes made space on the left and his accurate cross was met by Swann, who timed a run perfectly to power a header past Shakers keeper Gary Kelly. Bury, who had finished 12 points behind York during the regular season, went close in the 81st minute. Keeper Kiely dived bravely to prevent Ian Stevens converting a cross by substitute Darren Lyons. Two minutes before half-time, Kiely had saved magnificently Tony Rigby’s shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Swann, a free transfer signing from Preston North End, told the Yorkshire Post: “I always fancied myself to score goals and now this one provides the highlight of my career.”

In the so-called ‘Railway Final’, York beat Crewe Alexandra (who’d finished sixth) 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 extra time draw.

Other football:

South Milford 1 Thorpe United 4 @ Leeds Road, Tadcaster (2015, York League, Junior Cup, Final). An evening more memorable for a pre-match storm, with thunder, lightning and hail, than the game. Kick-off was delayed 15 minutes to allow for improvement in the weather. Though the showpiece was reduced to 40 minutes each way, it was so bright at the end, the full 90 could have been played. Second Division Thorpe led 3-0 after 26 minutes. South Milford, from Division Three, were much better in the second half but gave themselves far too much to do. Thorpe rubbed it in with a late fourth.

Other sports:

Cricket at Greater Manchester League Woodhouses (2019). Surprisingly pleasant, intimate ground in the Failsworth district of Manchester. Watched by 60 spectators, Woodhouses, of the Greater Manchester League Premier Division, saw off Lancashire League First Division big guns Burnley with astonishing ease. The visitors, electing to bat on a cloudy afternoon, slumped to 34-6 in the 10th over. Burnley recovered but the target set wasn't terribly challenging. Apparently, both teams had regulars missing but I expected better from Burnley, deposed the previous day as Lancashire League leaders.

Anselmians 65 Aspatria 14 (2018, rugby union, North One West Play-Off). A sunny Wirral afternoon attracted a bumper crowd - about 400 - to the last game at Malone Field before part of the Eastham Village site becomes housing and part is revamped for the rugby union club. Strange game. Aspatria led 14-0 after 11 minutes before Anselmians took charge. The hosts, celebrating their 70th anniversary season, ran in 65 points without reply. Their tally comprised eight tries (all converted) and three penalties. Goalkicking home full-back Iain Taylor contributed 25 points. The vanquished Black-Reds were condemned in 2019 to an all-Cumbria League wilderness.

York Acorn 28 Hunslet Warriors 22 (2012, rugby league, National Conference League, Division One). A cross-city drive for a revisit. Based in the Dringhouses district of York, Acorn play at fairly featureless ground. Cracking game between two of the division’s top teams. The hosts, 16-0 up after 12 minutes, tackled superbly in the last quarter to hang on against a big Warriors side. Crowd was about 200.

Manchester Knights 16 North London Skolars 30 (2001, rugby league, Rugby League Conference). Defunct Knights’ first game at their new home, Dukinfield RUFC’s Blocksages Playing Fields. The visitors are now operating, as a semi-professional club, as League One London Skolars. Two tries, the second converted, in the last five minutes of normal time enabled Skolars finally to kill off Manchester. Both teams had a player sent off: Skolars in the 36th minute, Knights in the 77th. Eighty watching.

Then on to Chesterton for the second half of a double…

Stoke Potters 56 Isle of Wight Islanders 34 (2001, speedway, Premier League Knockout Cup, Round One, First Leg). One of many visits to Loomer Road, a track I first encountered in 1988. Always good to catch up with the late Dave Rattenberry, who manned this club shop and several others. Stoke’s was in the grandstand bar area. Sadly, the circuit, destined for redevelopment, staged its last speedway (and stock car) meeting a couple of months ago. Jon Armstrong, contributing 14+1 from six at reserve, top-scored for Potters, for whom programme cover duo (below) Jan Staechmann (a five-ride paid maximum) and Paul Pickering (12 from five) shone also. Danny Bird (13 from six) was the pick of the Islanders.

Leeds 18 Halifax Blue Sox 32 (1996, rugby league, Super League). Followed by Salford Reds 32 Featherstone Rovers 10, Division One). Nice little double (3.0 and 6.0), with then-colleagues Mike and Steve, during rugby league’s first summer season. Revisits for me but a first time at Headingley and The Willows for the Teesside twosome. After leading narrowly, 16-12, at half-time, Steve Simms’s Halifax ripped apart a woeful Leeds after the break, scoring three tries, to record a first Super League victory. Before this fixture, Fax had collected just one point from their opening seven games. Scrum-half Craig Dean bagged a try in each half. The bulk of a 10,028 crowd booed Leeds from the field. Then, a dash over the Pennines, to Salford, where there was little to choose between two of the middle tier’s more capable teams. A 3,130 crowd saw Reds run in six tries, to bundle Featherstone off the top of the table, after being held 8-6 midway through the first half. Nineteen-year-old centre Nathan McAvoy crossed twice.

Middlesbrough Bears 50 Long Eaton Invaders 46 (1994, speedway, British League, Division Two, ‘A’ series). Cracking match, in which Bears, 10-20 behind after five heats, snatched victory with 4-2s in each of the last two races. Mike Smith, the ‘Billingham Bomber’, top-scored from reserve with 15+2. Guest Nigel Crabtree (14) played a key role. Dane Jan Staechmann (12+2), Martin Dixon (11), also from Billingham, and Australian Steve Johnston (9) spearheaded the Long Eaton challenge.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 19 May 1984
Ashington 2-5 Blyth Comrades @ The Stanks, Berwick-upon-Teeed

Berwick Summer Cup
f&n

Back in the day I hadn’t previously heard of the Berwick Summer Cup and then largely forgot all about it until several posts appeared on this forum last year. In 1984 this was Cup Final day (Everton v Watford) and I recall watching only part of the big game before walking through deserted streets with my transistor radio held to my ear to listen to the radio commentary as I headed to Portland Park to board the Ashington team bus. Kick-off must have been something like 6.30 and our small group was expecting a comfortable win over a Sunday league side. It didn’t happen as the Northern Leaguers were completely outplayed, as indeed they had been in most other games that season.

After the game the players seemed to be enjoying a never-ending p*ss-up. Our group of teenagers were used to hanging around while they had a drink or two, usually by heading to the nearest chip shop to pass the time, but this was taking the biscuit and we had to find a phone box to ring home and explain that we wouldn’t be back until the early hours.

At the time I wasn’t even sure whether to include this game in my records as it was played at ‘just’ a public park that didn’t even have a registered home team. I’m pleased I did, not only because many of my new grounds are now of similar standard, but also because I’ve grown to appreciate the unusual setting of a pitch that is hemmed-in on two sides by the town walls. The walls are topped by grass banks which themselves have paths running along the top - no railings though, just a sheer drop onto the football pitch if you lean over too far. It reminds me of going to Fratton Park a few years ago when I sat in the old Leitch stand which must be one of very few remaining where the front row is below pitch level - there’s a sign on the wall stating ‘Beware of falling players’!

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Manweb Cymru Alliance Conwy United v Caersws 0-0

1994 Springbank Midland Combination Premier Division Meir Kings Arms v Studley B K L 3-4

A decent ground that is no longer used as far as I know. There was a programme. I did revisit here with Warrington Town when stone Dominoes used it some years later.

1996 FA Umbro Trophy Final (@ Wembley) Macclesfield Town v Northwich Victoria Lost 3-1

My only FA Trophy Final to date. Sadly, it was a defeat. Had decent seats down the side with good elevation, which was essential at the old Wembley if you wanted to see anything well.

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd Drew 3-3

1998 Eric Evans Cars Cymru Alliance Ruthin Town v Penycae 10-2

I had completely forgotten about this score line. A rather basic ground shared with cricket. Cover was in one corner, but the pitch may have been moved since those days to give the cover a better pitch side vantage point? Not 100% on that though as not been there for ages. As with most in the Cymru Alliance programmes were regular.

2000 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division Penycae v Castell Alun Colts 1-1

This ground always seemed run down and suffered from repeated vandalism. Railed with a small area of cover (behind the goal I think). They were regular issuers in the Cymru Alliance. Can’t remember for this level.

2001 North West Counties League Division Two Daisy Hill v Warrington Town Drew 1-1

Town were already confirmed as champions and had to wait a couple of weeks more or less to complete the season. It kicked off early which I was not aware of (1.30 possibly), but I was still there on time, just. Decent prog. Ground has changed little as I went back in the season just gone.

2004 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division Three (abandoned 51 minutes, injury to match official)

Penyffordd v Penley (2-2 draw awarded) 0 a 2

This was definitely at the school. There was no replacement official, so the game was ended with Penley winning 2-0, but the result went down as a 2-2 draw and was not replayed. Don’t think it had any significance on the league table.

2005 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llandyrnog Won 4-1

2007 Gloucestershire County League Wotton Rovers v Roman Glass St. George T80 0-7

An enclosed and railed pitch. There was a programme. Very pleasant countryside. They dropped down a few seasons later and are now a couple of levels lower than this.

2011 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanrhaeadr Won 4-3

2012 Liverpool County Premier League Division Two Kingsley United v Eli Lilly 3-2

Basically, a field with a roped pitch but possibly just one pitch even though there as a good amount of space. Not the most obvious of venues to find either. This was a Saturday and there were a few hoppers present. Some of the Yorkshire contingent were certainly among the spectators that afternoon. No programme.

2015 Clwyd Cup Semi-final (@ Rhydymwyn FC) Cefn Albion v Conwy Legion United 5-1

2016 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd v Caerwys 2-1

The second ground for LDC and way better than their previous pitch. Although still a farmer’s field this one has a superb playing surface which really confounds logic when you consider it is grazed by livestock through the spring and summer. Super views of the Clwydian Range. Only once had a programme, produced by Len S, but not for this game.

2018 Nathaniel Car Sales Welsh League Division Two AFC Llwydcoed v Llantwit Major 0-6

A pleasant afternoon out with Andy D on a warm sunny day in South Wales. Railed and with cover although it had the shutters on the front kept down for this match. Cover was not needed and the grass bank opposite provided a fine vantage point. There was a programme.

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
Games to report on after three barren dates!

2019 - also at Wembley for the Vase/Trophy Finals day, described in the old WDYG.

Chertsey T 3 Cray Valley PM 1 aet
Decent game where the favourites eventually came good, despite the Millers taking the lead, and then hitting the bar in the last minute of normal time. The Curfews took the lead at the start of ET with a disputed penalty, and never looked back.
FA report:

AFC Fylde 1 Leyton Orient 0
Fylde (partially) made up for the previous week's playoff defeat on this ground with this win over a lacklustre NL champions Orient, sadly in Justin Edinburgh's last match as manager for the Os. Rowe was the outstanding player and his free-kick in the second half proved to be the winner. As I said at the time, this may prove to the highpoint in Fylde's history, although I didn't expect a bottom four place this season.
FA report:
Highlights:

First visit to the new Wembley, on a comp thanks to Splodge. Was impressed with the stadium, but didn't appreciate being a 'captive audience' between the two games; catering obviously expensive, but overall enjoyed my trip.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
So many big games to choose from on this date that I will have to mention two.

Saturday May 19th 1979
Home International Championships
Wales v Scotland, 3-0, H.T. 2-0, Att 20,371
At Ninian Park, Cardiff

Back in those days the Home Internationals meant a lot, and I mean a lot, to Scottish fans. 1979 was potentially a special year with two away trips – to Cardiff and to Wembley to look forward to. In the end both resulted in defeat and Scotland finished third in the table.

Wales used to rotate the Scotland fixture around Wrexham, Swansea and Cardiff. Myself and a couple of mates et off for this one on the Friday morning, driving down and staying the night in a B and B in Ross on Wye. After breakfast we went straight to Ninian Park, dumped the car, and headed back into the city centre for a few beers. I had anticipated a fairly relaxed atmosphere – certainly the thousands of Scots who had travelled were only there for the drink. However, the locals had different ideas and there were numerous skirmishes around the city centre as Cardiff fans sought to engage the Scots in combat.

With kick off approaching we joined a massive throng outside Ninian Park. Scotland had been allocated one end, half of the enclosure in front of the main stand and part of that stand - an official allocation of around 7000 tickets. The Welsh FA had printed the tickets in a way that was easy to copy so thousands more had been printed. Alarmed by the number of Scots at the ground, estimated to be around 12000, the police initially refused to open the turnstiles to the away sections. The crush outside was unpleasant and dangerous and as I recall they finally just opened the gates and let everyone in.

Teams:
W: Dai Davies, Byron Stevenson, Phil Dwyer, Leighton Phillips, Jones, Brian Flynn, Terry Yorath (Sub Nicholas), John Mahoney, Alan Curtis, John Toshack, Leighton James.
Scotland: Alan Rough, George Burley, Paul Hegarty, Alan Hansen, Frankie Gray, John Wark, Asa Hartford, Graeme Souness, Ian Wallace (Sub Joe Jordan), Kenny Dalglish, Arthur Graham.

Scotland produced a rotten performance. A hat trick by John Toshack barely did justice to the superiority of Wales on the day. Toshack gave a textbook striker’s performance, taking his goals clinically. Scotland’s choice of Ian Wallace over Joe Jordan was baffling – Wallace had one good season at Nottingham Forest but wasn’t fit to lace Jordan’s boots. The experimental centre back pairing of Paul Hegarty and Alan Hansen didn’t have a great game either. It was fairly crowded where I was in the first half but a lot of people headed out at half time knowing that the game was lost.

By the end we were just glad to get out of the ground and out of Cardiff for the drive north. Thoughts turned to next week’s Wembley expedition.

Saturday May 19th 1984
FA Cup Final
Everton v Watford, 2-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 100,000
At Wembley Stadium

This was my one and only trip to an FA Cup Final courtesy of tickets provided by a friend who was Manager of an English club at the time. I suppose an FA Cup Final would be on the “bucket list” of many football watchers – I am glad to have done it by I suspect I would turn down any offer of tickets now.

My mate and I got the first train south from Edinburgh in the morning and arrived at King’s Cross around 11 45. We probably headed straight for Wembley. I had been several times before for internationals but never for a club game.

On all my previous visits I had been in the standing areas behind the goal. This time the tickets were for the seats, towards the front near the half way line. On paper they looked decent but the reality was rather different. I had expected a little better than a wooden bench with narrow segments painted on it to accommodate the bums of people smaller than those around me.

Our seats were in a “neutral area” but most of the folks around us were supporting Everton. They seemed to have acquired the majority of the tickets. Away from the stadium the general public were probably backing Watford in their first major final but I was definitely wanting Everton to win.

Teams:
Everton: Neville Southall, Gary Stevens, John Bailey, Kevin Ratcliffe, Derek Mountfield, Peter Reid, Trevor Steven, Adrian Heath, Graham Sharp, Andy Gray, Kevin Richardson.
Watford: Steve Sherwood, David Bardsley, Neil Price (Sub Paul Atkinson), Les Taylor, Steve Terry, Lee Sinnott, Nigel Callaghan, Mo Johnston, George Reilly, Kenny Jackett, John Barnes.

Both teams had Scottish strike forces. Watford fielded the ungainly George Reilly and the mercurial Mo Johnston, aka Le Petit Merde. Everton had Graham Sharp and Andy Gray. Gray was always a favourite of mine as a player although my opinion of him has plummeted since he entered media work.

Watford had a few chances early on but fluffed them. Everton took control of the game and were dominant by half time. They led 1-0 courtesy of Sharp and secured the win when Andy Gray headed a second just after the break. There was some controversy about the goal but it looked perfectly fair to me then and still does now. Goalkeeper Sherwood came out and flapped like a fairy waving a wand, rather than clattering Gray as he should have done. Watford could find no way back. Everton were a stronger all round side although Watford did have individual skill with the likes of Barnes and Callaghan.

We were getting the overnight train back so had time for a good few beers around central London where the pubs were busy with celebrating Evertonians. I forget the name of it but we used to frequent a place between King’s Cross and Euston which was always friendly enough.

Wales.jpgfa cup.jpg

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1.
Coventry City 2 Bristol City 2. (36,903)
Impossible to add more to the earlier post from Hod and I dare say Warwickian will want to have a say in the events of this crazy night so will leave it there but with the equaliser coming in the 79th minute it certainly puts to bed what is still written today and I was always suspicious about the reasons for the delayed kick off but that is probably just me.

Division 3.
Sheffield Wed 2 Hull City 3. (8,950)

Div 1 Play Off Semi Final 2.
Portsmouth 2 Leicester City 2.
Adm. £7-East Terrace.
Att. 25,438.
Despite a spirited performance from Pompey, Leicester held on to win this 3-2 on aggregate to book an appearance at Wembley. Despite being held in the ground for over half an hour after the game there were still Portsmouth madmen baying for blood and men, women and children all came in for a kicking outside.

Ligue 1.
AS Monaco 1 Olympic Lyonaise 0.
Adm €12.
Att. 13,145.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Just the 3 for today:

Castell Alun Colts v Gresford Ath. 3-3
Welsh National (Wrexham) Prem.

Slovan Bratislava v Artmedia Bratislava 3-1
Slovakia Corgon Liga

Remember turning up early so we could be sure of getting tickets. Need not have bothered, despite this being a local derby I don't think the crowd was much more than 3000. Good game though.

Park Utd v Torridgeside 2nd's 7-0
N.Devon Premier

Belushi

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Coventry City
1977 Coventry City 2 Bristol City 2

Here is my take on the game (as a Coventry fan, who subsequently got loads of abuse from his Sunderland-supporting girlfriend!)

1 A friend of mine was involved in policing the match. He said it was Jimmy Hill who asked the police to delay the kick off due to the huge queues at the Bristol turnstiles. Was there an ulterior motive?

2 Back in the sixties, when JH was Coventry's manager Saturday kick offs at Highfield Road were always 3.15 so that Coventry factory workers could do Saturday overtime and get to the match more easily. See, he really did care for the fans!

3 My memory of the game is that, once the players knew the score, Bristol retained possession in their own half (so they were the "cheats". OK, so Coventry made no attempt to put in any tackles).

4. I read this recently on a Sunderland message board:
"Terry Yorath was on Talksport with Keys and Gray about 5/6 years ago. Yorath spoke about how word got through to the benches that Sunderland had lost. As Coventry captain he spoke to the BC captain and they agreed to 'take it easy'. Bristol brought a sub on a minute later who immediately hit the bar with a long range shot. Yorath shouted to the Bristol Bench something like "has nobody told him" and said it was 'so funny' watching the lad get bollocked by his own team mates for having a shot."

I have no memory of this shot hitting the bar, and have not read of that anywhere else.

And I've never known such a love-in between two sets of fans at the end of a match - but what if one team had won?

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
British Championship.
[QUOTE="Desselsportfan, post: 25812, member: 34".
Slovan Bratislava v Artmedia Bratislava 3-1
Remember turning up early so we could be sure of getting tickets. Need not have bothered, despite this being a local derby I don't think the crowd was much more than 3000.
[/QUOTE]

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
1977 Coventry City 2 Bristol City 2

Here is my take on the game (as a Coventry fan, who subsequently got loads of abuse from his Sunderland-supporting girlfriend!)

1 A friend of mine was involved in policing the match. He said it was Jimmy Hill who asked the police to delay the kick off due to the huge queues at the Bristol turnstiles. Was there an ulterior motive?
And this is where my suspicious came from. I was in the West End that night with the Bristol fans and there were no huge queues!!

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
[QUOTE="prorege, post: 25808, member: 26"

Saturday May 19th 1979
Home International Championships
Wales v Scotland, 3-0, H.T. 2-0, Att 20,371
At Ninian Park, Cardiff

Back in those days the Home Internationals meant a lot, and I mean a lot, to Scottish fans. 1979 was potentially a special year with two away trips – to Cardiff and to Wembley to look forward to. In the end both resulted in defeat and Scotland finished third in the table.

[/QUOTE]

Also at this prorege , just thought I'd mention England won the Championship that season , or should I say Wales bottled it. After a creditable 0-0 draw at Wembley on the Tuesday they went to Belfast on the Friday and only got a draw.
That left England needing to win on the Saturday at Wembley, easy enough.

The following midweek I also saw 5-1 for England v Scotland.

Last edited:

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Welsh Cup Final 2nd leg
Bangor City 0-2 Shrewsbury Town (agg 1-5)
Attendance 1,800
I was also there but it was pretty much a disaster. First of all, the game was a 3 pm kick-off. The first train of the day from London was scheduled to arrive at Bangor at around 13.25 - 13.30 but it arrived almost exactly one and a half hours late, which was at the time, the worst ever train delay I had experienced. I ran straight to the ground (the old Farrar Road ground was very close to the railway station) and through the first turnstile I saw, but the game had already kicked off and I had missed somewhere between a few seconds and two minutes. The programmes had all sold out and it was not until after the game that I managed to get a spare copy from the TV crew who had been covering the game. The print run must have been very low because I have never since seen a copy for sale on a dealer's list or even on e-bay.

I have the crowd down in my records as 1,801 - not sure where the extra spectator came from, but I think I got that figure from the following day's Guardian newspaper.

I did a revisit for another Sunday game (sometime around 2008, I think) in order to see the kick-off and fortunately there were no train delays this time, Bangor's opponents were Aberystwyth Town in a league game.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks