May 1st

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
So much on this day but I will leave them to others and go with... on this day in 1945 it was announced that Hitler was dead.

No body was ever found resulting in conspiracy theories such as he was smuggled out to Argentina where he lived out his days or to South America from where he would plan to establish a 'Fourth Reich'.

All rubbish as it's well documented that he was a physical and mental wreck in his last days barely able to speak or move. Or is that part of the conspiracy? heh :p

Well I know you didn't go to Berlin on this day at least in this year but WDYG?

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 1st May 1993
Gillingham 2 Halifax Town 0 (HT 0-0)
Football League, Division Three (3.0)
Attendance 7,151
Programme £1 (36pp)

All over bar for the shouting for Conference-bound Halifax despite outplaying fellow strugglers Gillingham on a sweltering afternoon of unbearable tension. The Shaymen had their chances at Priestfield during a third bottom versus bottom relegation battle but couldn’t find the net. It had been a familiar tale since the March transfer deadline day, on which nine-goal top scorer Ian Thompstone was offloaded to Scunthorpe United for £15,000. A false economy, if ever I saw one!

In the programme’s Top Comment, Gills coach Glenn Roeder wrote: “This has been a particularly trying season for our younger players but in the long run their experiences will stand them in good stead.” Opposite number Mick Rathbone would have felt the same. Indeed, a number of Halifax’s youthful team - Lee Bracey, Billy Barr, Chris Lucketti, Russell Bradley, Jason Peake and Jamie Paterson - went on to have extended Football League careers after this troubled season at The Shay.

Town were denied by Gills keeper Scott Barrett, the width of a post and Quorn referee Peter Jones’s failure to award a stonewall penalty. The hosts secured their Football League status with long-range efforts, about which Halifax keeper Bracey could do little, from Tony Eeles (49) and Paul Baker (52). With my childhood favourites plummeting toward non-league football, I’d revived lapsed interest in Halifax for the season’s last three games. I drove down from North Yorkshire then linked up with Dad for a ride on one of several supporters’ coaches the club had organised. I see our £6 tickets - coach six, leaving at 8am - are tucked in the programme. We opted to sidestep segregation (a crap view behind the town end goal) and stand with Gills fans in front of the venerable Gordon Road stand. After an unjust defeat, it felt a very long journey home.

Peter Barrow’s Evening Courier match report was headlined ‘Something must change’, with the strapline ‘After Priestfield defeat Town have no more survival options’. Barrow reflected on how costly poor performances at The Shay had been. Of the game in Kent, he wrote: “The 90 minutes may have ended with Gillingham two goals to the good and with their fans dancing a jig of joy on the field but it was Town who played the more inventive football and created more chances. It is that form they must reproduce at The Shay next Saturday, only this time they have to convert into tangible reward some of the good work they do in front of goal.”

Pausing at the A1 services near Grantham, we chanced upon the returning team coach. I overheard one Town fan, addressing a player as he stepped onto the tarmac, put Barrow’s message rather more bluntly: “You buggers better get your ****ing fingers out next week.”

By a strange coincidence, 15 years later, I met my future wife, a southerner, from Surrey. Her best mate, who lives at Rainham, attended this Gillingham-Halifax game with her father. They were both Priestfield regulars. Her dad still is. Very relieved to hear he recovered from a recent COVID-19 scare.

Could the Shaymen save themselves, at home to Hereford United, on the season’s final day? The link (below) features highlights (and post-match scenes) from the Gillingham and Hereford games.

Other football worth a mention:

Tideswell United 1 Retford FC 2 (2018, Central Midlands League, North). Popped over from our Monyash holiday cottage for this evening fixture. Tideswell (Cathedral of the Peak etc) is a canny village; the football ground, part of a sports complex, less so, though I did enjoy the baaing sheep muzak. Nothing at stake yet a competitive game. Courtesy of home blunders, Adam Scott (2 and 17) put Retford in control. Danny Hopkins (86) halved the deficit with a 20-yard free kick. The hosts squandered a couple of late opportunities to salvage a draw. Just sixteen watching.

Sunderland West End 1 Redcar Athletic 2 (2017, Monkwearmouth Charity Cup, Final). One of the Wearside League’s annual occasions I’ve attended a number of times. On a hard, bobbly Ford Quarry pitch, amid a strong, swirling wind, this wasn’t much of a spectacle. Adam Preston (5) put Redcar ahead. Jack Stanger (11) levelled before Bry Stewart (27) bundled home the winner. Posters present, in a circa 275 crowd, included AndyD, Catterick, IanS and wiretowneditor. Despite the appreciable chill, one or two spectators, maybe fooled by initial watery sunshine, sported shorts and T-shirts. Ha’way the lads!

Fulwood Amateurs 2 Freckleton 0 (2010, West Lancashire League, Premier Division). The only ground I’ve been to that doubled as a golf driving range, installed to give Fulwood vital income. Around the corner from the Preston Grasshoppers rugby union set-up at Lightfoot Green, this made my ‘to do’ list because Fulwood were issuing programmes. Amateurs and Hoppers shared a car park. The driving range stand, at the south end of Fulwood’s pitch, housed a strange mixture of golf and football memorabilia. Local legend Sir Tom Finney had opened the ground’s dressing rooms in 1981.

Fulwood’s title challenge had faded, assuring Blackpool Wren Rovers of the title. Amateurs could finish second. Freckleton were desperate for points as they battled relegation. Unfortunately, the visitors didn’t get going until the second half. By then, Fulwood led 2-0, through Andrew Spence (13) and Mitch Newsham (40). Spence set up Newsham’s goal. Sub Paul Fiddler (49) got one back, from 25 yards. From then on, Freckleton did everything but score. Near the end, however, Fulwood’s Tom Philips hit the crossbar with a header. The crowd was 78.

Other sports:

Scunthorpe Scorpions 44 Plymouth Devils 46 (2006, speedway, Conference League). Scorpions promoter Rob Godfrey (now BSPA chairman) slammed Plymouth, as he saw it, for failing to uphold the spirit of the Conference League in their team selection. While Devils operated rider replacement for an absentee, thereby giving their top four an extra ride, Scorpions covered for a missing rider by bringing in a squad man. Plymouth skipper Seemond Stephens and Lee Smart scored a 4-2 over Wayne Carter (faller Richie Dennis excluded) in a re-run last heat decider. That race win completed an 18-point maximum for Stephens. Smart was paid for 13 from six while Scorpions captain (and rider-coach) Carter contributed 11 from five. Carter, a 38-year-old veteran, beat Stephens to become the first holder of the Conference League bronze helmet, a bizarre ‘pudding bowl’ design of yesteryear.

Buxton Hitmen 46 Scunthorpe Scorpions 43 (2005, speedway, Conference League Trophy). One of many trips to High Edge, a circuit abandoned in 2018. Enjoyably close match to divert from the scenic White Peak views. Buxton’s Jonathan Bethell, later to ride for Scorpions, had a five-ride maximum while appositely named team-mate Lee Derbyshire chipped in with 12+1. Former Hitman Paul Burnett (11+1) was Scunny’s finest.

Bramley Buffaloes 14 Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks 14 (2004, rugby league, National League Three). More than 1,200 celebrated Bramley’s relaunch. The Rugby Football League had knocked back the club’s plans to rejoin the elite either at Throstle Nest (Farsley, 2001, ground deemed not good enough) or Scatcherd Lane (Morley, 2003, not in Bramley, rivals objected). During 2004, Bramley, established as an industrial and provident society, shared National Conference League Stanningley ARLFC’s excellent facilities. Buffs led 14-0 until the closing five minutes during which Hawks scored three tries to share the spoils. The visitors would have won had Andy Carson converted Tom Wild’s last-gasp try. Bramley went on to reach the play-off semi-finals, losing to eventual champions Coventry Bears. Nowadays, Buffs play on the Bramley Phoenix RUFC ground. What a comedown.

Attachments

Last edited:

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
2018 Kintbury Rangers 4 Pewsey Vale Development 0 Corsham Print Wiltshire Senior Att: 30+
Weekday night but Kintbury had lights anyway and this was a new tick but not my last visit here. They played good football in their first season in the Wilts and were comprehensive winners here. Quirky little ground with the unusual feature that the dug-outs are on opposite sides of the pitch.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Only a short list for my May Day...

Saturday 1st May 1999 ~ Havant & Waterlooville 2-1 St.Leonards Stamcroft
Saturday 1st May 2004 ~ Moor Green 2-1 Havant & Waterlooville
Wednesday 1st May 2013 ~ Northway 2-1 Middleton Cheney
Wednesday 1st May 2019 ~ Aveley 0-2 Heybridge Swifts

...with the stand-out being my only visit to The Moorlands for...

Saturday 1st May 2004 ~
Southern League Premier Division
Moor Green 2-1 Havant & Waterlooville

This was the last match of the season prior to the establishment of the new Step2 of Conference North and South for 2004~05, with a whopping thirteen sides winning promotion up from the Southern Premier that day. Crawley Town had already cantered away with the title, but it was a seething mass of excitement that you wouldn't normally expect to find in mid-table.

Havant had already narrowly secured a promotion place for themselves and were a goal up at halftime, with Moor Green needing a victory to grab the final thirteenth spot. Now it's not for me to suggest that anything untoward took place during the interval, but Havant switched off in the second half to such an extent that the players appeared to be positively inviting The Moors to score - and the home side duly did, twice, to much local jubilation. This meant that both sides would be promoted to the new re-organised Conference - Havant to the South and Moor Green to the North. Twenty minutes after the final whistle, Havant's players were then seen making liberal use of the free bar that had been offered to them at some point previously (we suspect at halftime...) Havant finished in 12th, Moor Green in 13th, with the unfortunate fall-guys in 14th place being Merthyr Tydfil FC.

But the most memorable aspect of the day was obviously The Moorlands ground itself, with its gorgeous old wooden grandstand standing askew behind the near-end goal. This was due to the pitch being rotated as part of the permission for floodlights agreed with the local council some years before. This in turn had resulted in two banks of concrete terracing being demolished, and the famous wooden terracing being built at the new far-end of the ground as replacement. A lovely characterful and lop-sided ground, it was this wooden terracing that was targeted by arsonists in January 2005, an act that condemned the ground as unusable and would eventually lead to the homeless club merging with Solihull Borough in 2007.

1588280256599.png

This photograph is from the 'Itinerant Football Watcher' website at https://peterrmiles.wordpress.com/tag/the-moorlands/

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Walsall (1) 1 Rotherham United (0) 1
Football League Division Three
Tuesday 1st May, 1990
At Fellows Park, Att.: 5,697

A sad day for Walsall FC in more ways than one as it marked relegation to Div. 4 (by a considerable margin) but more importantly this was their last home game at Fellows Park.
As I lived in Birmingham at the time, this was a regular mid-week target. No doubt the new Bescot Stadium made commercial sense but it's still not the same as this archetypal small town ground with mismatching stands and a lovely higgledy-piggledy feel to it.
Andy Dornan scored Walsall's last goal at the ground but the honour of the last ever goal went to Rotherham's Mark Dempsey. Up front for Walsall and probably the last time I saw him play was the ex-Villa great Gary Shaw.
The regular programme was 32 pages for 70p but on this occasion a 20 page supplement entitled 'The History of Fellows Park' was available, apparently as an optional extra, if you paid £1. My favourite photo has to be of the original Laundry End which was demolished in 1965, not long before my first visit in March, 1966.
The policy these days is not to name the home town of the match officials in the programme. Back in 1990 that was not the case so we knew that match referee Ray Lewis was from the wonderfully titled town of Great Bookham!
WalsallLeaveFellowsPark 001.JPG

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
So much on this day but I will leave them to others and go with... on this day in 1945 it was announced that Hitler was dead.
I was going to go with the act of Union, 1707 that joined England and Scotland and created Great Britain, (and hence I assume gave rise to the Scottish Nationalist Party)

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I was going to go with the act of Union, 1707 that joined England and Scotland and created Great Britain, (and hence I assume gave rise to the Scottish Nationalist Party)
oops your turn tomorrow then :giggle:

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
Mon 1 May 2000 - Accrington Stanley 4 Belper Town 1 - Unibond League Division 1
My 2nd of 56 visits to Crown Ground - Attendance 1826

Stanley's penultimate game of their promotion season saw them easily overcome Belper. This was only my 2nd visit and the first one as Radio Lancs reporter. This was another 3-way race for the Top 2 positions - before this game Burscough and Witton Albion were 1st and 2nd level on points but Stanley had 1 game in hand and 3 points behind. However they had a slightly better GD. So this was a crucial day as all 3 teams won - and so it left a grandstand scenario for the next Stanley game in 5 days time where a win would move them from 3rd to 1st, anything else and they would miss out... The weird thing though was that right up to this point with just the 1 game left in the season, Stanley had not been in the top 2 at all. The crowd was "the biggest for years" at 1826. Fans were queuing well after KO to get in. 1st Stanley goal midway through the 1st half. 2-0 on 50 mins. Belper pulled one back with 25 mins to go and it looked dodgy for a while. But Stanley sealed it with 2 more goals including a great one into the top corner - something he did again in that final league game a few days later.

Tue 1 May 2001 - Lancaster City 2 Bishop Auckland 2 AET (HT 1-1, 90m 2-2, 4-3 pens) - Unibond League Cup Final
My 6th of 29 visits to Giant Axe - Attendance 530

Midweek Cup Final night and another night I was reporting on the radio. Radio Lancs and Cleveland both wanted me to report, and I hadn't attempted to juggle reports before like that. And it was a great game... a classic where Lancaster went behind, then went ahead, then conceded a late equaliser. Then came extra time with no further goals and Lancs sports show ended on 115 mins, but Cleveland kept going. But in extra time, Lancaster's Brian Butler had scored from miles out, into the far corner, only for it to be ruled out for some reason that I don't think anyone managed to establish. Luckily Lancaster held their nerve as it went to a dramatic penalty shoot out and into a couple of rounds of sudden death - Phil Brown got the winning penalty. It might have been "just" the League Cup, but it felt like a major achievement for Lancaster.

Sat 1 May 2004 - Nantwich Town 2 Clitheroe 3 - North West Counties League Division 1
My 2nd of 2 visits to Jackson Avenue

Another dramatic day as Clitheroe won to clinch the league championship and secure promotion to the Unibond League. In truth they only needed a point to clinch it - but they almost blew it after losing their previous game. Luckily Mossley (who led the table) had only drawn as Clitheroe were beaten at home the previous weekend. Also luckily Mossley had had 3 points deducted earlier. So with Mossley all done, Clitheroe needed the point to finish ahead of them. They went 2-0 up by HT. But 2 goals in 5 mins for Nantwich caused things to get dramatic... Nantwich pushed for the winner, while Clitheroe tried desperately to hold on for the point and the title... then on the counterattack - Neil Reynolds picked up a Lee Cryer backheel and slammed it home for an amazing title win.

Sat 1 May 2010 - Accrington Stanley 2 Chesterfield 0 (HT 0-0) - Coca Cola League 2
My 56th of 56 visits to the Crown Ground - Attendance 2475

Exactly 10 years to the day after my 1st Stanley game for Radio Lancs, this was my final Stanley game for them... This was a very rare win for them in my presence as they had lost all 5 of my previous visits; the win before that was also against Chesterfield a year earlier. Both this time round, just as they had a year earlier, they ended Chesterfield's play-off hopes.

Stanley for their first few seasons had been lower to middling in the League 2 table, but finishing slightly higher every season 20th, 17th and 16th... so it was a nice touch that they finished 15th thanks to this win in their penultimate game, as their final game was a 1-1 draw. It also meant for the whole 10 years, they performed better each year than the previous one.

In this game it was absolutely winter-style freezing... and it was goalless until 20 mins to go... Billy Kee came off the bench on 67 mins, and in classic style scored within 3 mins and then wrapped it up 2 mins from time. The fans invaded the pitch at FT and for a while it looked like things might kick-off, but it fizzled into nothing after lots of fans holding big flagpoles and things went round the pitch and then went home.

Last edited:

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Monday 1 May 1989
Salisbury 2-3 Burnham

Southern League Southern Division
Attendance: 160
Prog issued

... followed by
Banbury Utd 2-2 Forest Green Rovers
Southern League Midland Division
Attendance: 180
Prog issued

… followed by
Halesowen 2-2 Willenhall Town
Southern League Midland Division
Attendance: 1,140
Prog issued

A wonderful triple, back in the day when it felt like there was a never-ending supply of decent grounds to visit. And back then, of course, every ground was different to the last one.

The day started slowly with a poor game and, dare I say it, a poor ground at Victoria Park. The venue was unusual and certainly quaint, but not really what you’d expect to find in the Southern League. I don’t remember a great deal about the specifics except that it was essentially a football ground sitting rather awkwardly within a public park. I think the changing rooms and snack bar may have been housed in an old red-brick park building, while all of the spectator accommodation was along one side - a small seated stand with three or four rows of wooden bench seating, flanked by small covered terraces. The rest of the ground was just flat standing. The club moved into a new ground 8 or 9 years later and the spectator facilities at Victoria Park were demolished soon after.

The game at Banbury was better, as was Spencer Stadium, even though it was a bit rough around the edges. I think there were rumours that the site could be sold but, surprisingly, Banbury are still at the same venue today. Facilities comprised a main stand straddling the half-way line on, I think, the far side, plus a battered covered terracing stretching the full length of the near goal, and additional open terracing on the far side and behind the far goal. The main stand had afforded the club a certain amount of publicity as it had been closed for safety reasons but the club were struggling to afford an upgrade, resulting in it being boarded up. However, they’d hit upon the idea of improving the aesthetics by painting a mural on the board showing a packed stand of fans watching the football and then sold mural space to fans and others. I believe this resulted in a few celebs ‘watching’ Banbury for a season or two.

We saved the best for last, with a cracking game and rapidly improving ground at The Grove. Halesowen had become something of a force with their regular FA Vase exploits and four consecutive West Midlands League titles. They kept the momentum going when they moved up to the Southern League and were backed by some of the biggest gates outside the Conference - from the outside it seemed only a matter of time before they progressed to non-League’s top tier (they haven‘t). My first visit to The Grove captured the spirit with Halesowen in the promotion mix and vociferously backed by a large crowd, but the draw proved costly as they ended the season two points and a few goals short of second-placed Atherstone United. I remember being impressed with the ground which had an old covered terrace the full length of the near end, a new seated stand on the right side, and newly-constructed & substantial banks of terracing on the remaining two sides. I visited The Grove a few more times over the next half dozen years and always enjoyed going there but haven’t been back since the upward momentum dropped - I must try harder.

pilgrim46

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
On this day in 1994 my sporting idol Ayrton Senna was killed at the San Marino Grand Prix. A day I'll never forget & even if it's 26 years ago memories never fade. Anyway on to football, only 2 games & I don't recall much about either of them

1999 - Plymouth Argyle 2-2 Cambridge United - Division 3
2017 - Illogan RBL 2-0 Liskeard Athletic - SWPL Division 1 West

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Monday May 1st 1978
Scottish Junior Cup Semi Final
Bonnyrigg Rose v Carnoustie Panmure, 4-2, H.T. 3-0, Att 6000
At Tynecastle Park

There was a time when the Scottish Junior Cup was a very unpredictable competition. Good sides came and had their moment in the sun then declined again. In 1978 I saw this Semi Final tie at Tynecastle. The other Semi was between Renfrew Juniors and Stonehouse Violet at Love Street. In recent times the competition has been dominated by West sides with the strength of the East diluted by the presence of the two parallel grades, Junior and Senior. The attractiveness of the competition has diminished in the eyes of almost everyone other than those in parts of Ayrshire.

Until around ten years ago the Junior Cup semi finals were one-off games played at Senior grounds. That was changed due to diminishing crowds which made the hire of a Senior venue unattractive. However, the two-legged format has hardly been a raging success with cagey First Legs the order of the day.

This match was anything but cagey and provided good entertainment for the 6000 spectators, although it was never as close as the scoreline might suggest. I watched from the enclosure in front of the Main Stand – the whole ground was open with Bonnyrigg having the majority of the support. There wasn’t much of an atmosphere. Few of the crowd were regular supporters – the attendance being reinforced by the once a decade glory-hunters from both sides and a fair number of neutrals.

Teams:
Bonnyrigg: Ronnie Sinclair, Wilson Bertram, Ian Henderson, Rab Aitchison, Bobby Devlin, Bobby Reid, John Carter, Gordon Robertson, Willie Kelly, George Henry, John Buckley. Subs Eddie Carnegie and Willie Hume
Carnoustie: John Lee, Dave Edmonds, Allan Martin, Davie Reid, Bobby Young, Denis Docherty, Billy McLardy, Stevie Mylles, Brian McNicol, Ronnie Laing, Graeme Smith. Subs Brian Goodall and Jim McNicol
Ref: Willie McLeish (Stonehouse)

Both teams were largely composed of Junior journeymen. That’s no criticism – they were probably paid as well as part-timers at Second Division clubs of the time. From the Rose side Ronnie Sinclair went to Meadowbank, and both Ian Henderson and Willie Kelly went to Alloa. Most of the Gowfers had seen service with at least one of the Angus lower league sides prior to this without making any great impact. Billy McLardy was a former Dunfermline Athletic player.

Two early goals by Bonnyrigg set the tone. Buckley opened the scoring in 11 minutes and Robertson added the second two minutes later. Panmure were shell-shocked and seemed to be getting back into the game. They could easily have scored before the break but squandered their chances and on the stroke of half time Robertson score again. Within a minute of the restart they were 4-0 down as Carter was left unmarked to score.

From the re-start Carnoustie scored an amazing goal. The ball was played left and with the second touch of the play Laing punted it goalwards. Sinclair was off his line and couldn’t keep it out despite scrambling backwards. Myles headed a second for Carnoustie late on but it was merely a consolation.

The programme was a typical SJFA effort of the time – printed by Moroprint of Coatbridge much in the style of the Albion Rovers programme which they also produced.

Bonnyrigg went on to beat Stonehouse Violet in the Final at Hampden, which I also attended.

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 2.
Leicester City 1 Norwich City 4.(19,030)

UCL Premier.
Northampton Spencer 2 Kempston Rovers 2.(86)

Division 1.
Leicester City 0 Bristol City 0. (19,294)

MFA.
Kirby Muxloe 0 Bridgnorth Town 0.(86)

UCL Premier.
Kirby Muxloe 0 Yaxley 1.(48)

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Another mix of levels as expected at this time of year. One stood out but not for the football.

Green Insulation Mid Cheshire Division One Cup Final (@ Warrington Town FC)

Winnington Park v Knutsford 0-1

1994 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Stalybridge Celtic v Dagenham & Redbridge 0-5

1995 Carlsberg West Cheshire League Division One Bromborough Pool v Merseyside Police 1-0

1997 P A Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Penycae v Mostyn 0-4

1999 Northern Counties East League Premier Division Liversedge v Maltby Main 3-0

2000 Tetleys Bitter Super League V Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors Lost 16-42

2001 Finnair Manchester League Premier Division East Manchester v Failsworth Town 1-2

2002 North West Counties League Division One Warrington Town v Clitheroe Won 3-0

2004 Eagle Bitter United Counties League Division One Cottingham v Eye United 1-1

Spartan South Midlands League Division Two Kent Athletic v The 61 (Luton) FC 2-1

Spartan South Midlands League Division Two Totternhoe v AFC Dunstable 1-4

Midland Combination Division One Littleton v Loughborough 4-3

2007 Nizam Druid Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division Two
Holt Nomads v Venture Community 2-2

2010 Ridgeons League Premier Division Haverhill Rovers v Walsham-le-Willows (T206) 1-1

Memorable for two reasons. My then seven year old son Tom cut his foot playing on the grass bank which required stitches. It was treated by the physio initially, then by a walk in medical centre in Haverhill and finally we called at Addenbrookes Hospital on the way home to get it sorted properly (stitched). Andy D had to quickly make alternate travel arrangements to get Diane to work. There was no way we would be back in time - the wait was a few hours. It was a late return home that day (small hours). All worked out fine in the end though. Tom slept all the way home.

The other thing was that this was the final game on the old ground. I saw as much as I could up to Tom getting injured and so counted it. Could not go back if I wanted to. Housing now I think.

2012 Liverpool County Premier League Division One Lucas Sports v Collegiate Old Boys 1-5

2013 Mercian Regional League Division One Hopesgate United v Oswestry Boys Girls Club 2-3

2017 Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final (@ Sunderland West End)
Sunderland West End v Redcar Athletic 1-2
(as mentioned in earlier post - I won't let the fame go to my head)

2018 Evo-Stik League Premier Division Play-off Semi-final
Warrington Town v Grantham Town Lost 0-3

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
six games on this date:

1982 - Southern League South - Fareham T 2 Welling U 2 - decent enough game on a windy day, with the home side initially to the fore, but the visitors getting a deserved second-half equaliser. This proved to be important as a reorganisation at the end of the season saw a new Southern League Premier being formed - Fareham (5th) easily qualified, but Welling (8th) only made it by a point. Andy Townsend and Tony Agana played for the visitors.

1989 - Division 1 - Arsenal 5 Norwich C 0 - a mate of mine was over from France, we met up in London and he asked if there was any football on. 'No' I replied, having forgotten that this had been shifted to Monday for TV. So as a Tottenham fan I made my only visit to Highbury, 2nd v 3rd at the time, the visitors had had a great season but were fading by now. We saw a brilliant performance from the home team, with help from the Norwich defence/goalkeeper. The ground was a classic. To say I was gutted was putting it mildly. Even more so later that month as Arsenal won by the required two goals at Anfield to win the league on goals scored (I blame Dalglish's tactics for that one, and of course the shadow of Hillsborough).
Unfortunately the goals are recorded here:

1999 - Isthmian Div 1 - Yeading 3 Worthing 0 - the great escape was complete - the home team started the season with four points from 10 games but gradual improvement meant that a win today would see them safe. The mid-table visitors played their part in an easy home win, as the celebrations began.

the rest have reports in the old WDYG:
2012 - Isthmian Div 1 S PO SF: Bognor Regis T 4 Godalming T 4 aet - Bognor won 5-3 on pens - voted by many as the best game ever seen at Bognor, and it's right up in my top five seen ever. The hosts had finished 15 points ahead in the league, but that counted for nothing as the visitors made a good start. Bognor took the lead after half an hour, but Godalming's pressing game proved effective and turned it round to lead on 73 mins. Two quick goals then changed it again to be in Bognor's favour, only for their opponents to grab an equaliser in injury time. Godalming then took the lead in extra time, but the Rocks tied it up again with a penalty/red card. Several chances for the home team before the end, but penalties it was, and one save by Stoner proved crucial as the Rocks qualified for the final, which they won against Dulwich in not such an exciting game, in front of 2011 at the Nye Camp.

2017 - Hampshire Prem League Cup Final @Gosport - QK Southampton 2 Hayling U 3 - MC duties today. Good game, Hayling two up in 13 mins, QK came back into it and equalised close to the hour, only for Hayling to grab the winner straight afterwards, although there were many chances for both teams near the end.

2018 - Combined Counties Premier - CB Hounslow 3 Bedfont Sports 1 - a chance to tick this one on the way back from Norfolk. The visitors had already finished second and weren't too bothered tonight as the hosts, with something still to play for, were clearly the better team in this one.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Bumper day, thanks largely to bank holiday doubles/trebles:

Sheffield Aurora v Wombwell Tn 0-4
Central Midlands

First ever game i'd seen on an artificial pitch. Wombwell tried to book a session to train on it prior to the game but were told 'its fully booked, no slots available'.
It didn't seem to bother them though, they adapted very quickly and ran out easy winners.

Eaton Hall College v Skegness Tn 4-2
Lincs League

Wealdstone v Bury Tn 1-2
Beazer Homes Southern played @ Yeading FC

Bishops Cleeve v Letcombe 6-1
Hellenic Div 1, played @ Wollen Sports FC

2000, a treble
BICC Helsby v Christleton 2nd's 1-0
West Cheshire Bowl Final, played @ Mond Rangers FC

Atherton Tn v Pennington 0-0 (3-0 pens)
Gylgryst Cup final

Dudley Hill Athletic v Otley Tn 4-1
Division 1 cup semi final, played @ Campion FC

Rothwell Athletic v Ossett Common Rovers 0-6
West Yorks Div 1

2004, a double
Darlington Cleveland Bridge v Dormans Athletic 1-2
Burness Plate semi-final

Richmond Mavericks v Middleham Tn 5-2
Dales Cup Final, played @ Central Stadium, Catterick Garrison

Hayfield v Totley Sports 1-0
Hope Valley Lge

Appledore v Exmouth Tn 1-2
SWPL

Bideford res. v Torridgeside 2-1
Torridge cup final @Torrington

Park Utd v Torrington 4-0
N.Devon Prem.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I won't bore you with who I was broadcasting / writing ( :unsure: ) for but just go straight to the subject matter,

Saturday @ 15-00.
Scotland Cup Final.

Hampden.
Hearts 1 v 3 Rangers.
85,354. (Wiki has 2 different on same page and once again Scottish FA differs with 85,250)
1976-Hearts-v-Rangers-Scottish-Cup-Final-Football-Programme

Hearts - Jim Cruickshank , Roy Kay , Jim Jefferies , John Gallacher , Sandy Burrell , Jim Brown , Graham Shaw (1) , Ralph Callachahan , Bobby Prentice , Willie Gibson , Drew Busby.
Subs - Kenny Aird for Burrell , Donald Park for Gibson.
Manager - John Hagart.

Rangers - Peter McCloy , Alex Miller , Colin Jackson , John Greig , Tom Forsyth , Tommy McLean , Bobby McKean , Johnny Hamilton , Alex MacDonald (1) ,
Derek Johnstone (2) , Martin Henderson .
Subs - Sandy Jardne for Hamilton , Derek Parlane.
Manager - Jock Wallace.

Referee - Bobby Davidson.

Hearts went into this Cup Final with a defensive attitude leaving Kenny Aird on the bench , it started badly with a goal after only 42 seconds (still the quickest Final goal ever prorege ?) with a header by Derek Johnstone , the goal was in fact scored before 15-00 :rolleyes: , the thousands that missed that.

Rangers were the better side and an edge of the box volley by Alex MacDonald just before half time improved things for Rangers.
I would guess 10% of the crowd missed the first goal and many more the second.

Second half improved a bit with Hearts bringing on forwards Kenny Aird for full back Burrell and Donald Park and at least making a game of it.
But it was Rangers that finished the game off with a near post flick in by Johnstone from a McKean cross on 80 mins , Hearts did pull one back through Shaw but the cup was heading to Ibrox. and the old Rangers 3rd treble.

Hitler does not take relegation well -

44 x games , 1 x treble , 2 x doubles , 3 x 0-0's.

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Still the quickest ever goal. The game kicked off two minutes early, as you say. I was at that one as well, with the Hearts supporters of course! It was like so many Cup Finals, too easy for the Old Firm side against over-cautious opposition.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
Farnborough TownBishop's Stortford01.05.890-1AC Delco Cup
Farnborough TownAltrincham01.05.932-5GMVC
Farnborough TownMaidenhead United01.05.001-0Ryman League Cup Final
Farnborough TownCanvey Island01.05.011-2Ryman League
Farnborough TownHiston01.05.060-3Conf South Play Off
Peacehaven & TelscombeWick01.05.102-0SCL1
Fleet SpursTeam Solent01.05.122-0Wess Div 1
Camberley TownColliers Wood United01.05.152-1CCLCupFinal
FarnboroughBarton Rovers01.05.172-0SLDiv1C P/o F
WestfieldChertsey Town01.05.180-0CCL Prem
Metropolitan PoliceSalisbury01.05.193-2SLPS Play Off

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Freight Rover Trophy Northern Area Semi Final
Darlington 0-3 Bolton Wanderers
Att: 3,771

Goalkeeper Fred Barber had moved to Everton to provide cover for Bobby Mimms after Neville Southall had been injured. With Mike Astbury cup-tied, teenager Steve Sherry was in goal for the previous round and this one, the only two games he would play for the club. He couldn't be blamed for any of the three goals. Perhaps the fixture pile up caught up with Darlington, perhaps Bolton were just simply too good, but they eased to a 3-0 lead before half time and that was game over. George Oghani, Tony Caldwell and Asa Hartford the scorers.

Midland Football League Division 3
NKF Burbage 0-0 Moors Academy
Attendance 80ish (guesstimate)

A lesson as to the dangers of the demon drink.
I should have been at Clean Slate, where I'd have been treated to some good hopper company and 7 goals. Unfortunately, having got up bright and early to walk and feed the dog, the previous day's alcohol consumption caught up with me. I nodded off and didn't wake up again until it was way too late to get to MK for a 2.00 kick off so, after a bite to eat, by around 1.15 I was perusing the more local options.

The less said about the match itself the better. It was bad tempered, with plenty of ill-feeling, bad tackles, mass melees (even after the final whistle), and an (incorrect) accusation of racism. The only surprise was that there were 22 players on the field at the end - the referee showing plenty of leniency

Moors looked slightly more composed when passing the ball but Burbage, unbeaten this season, looked slightly more dangerous going forward.

In truth though, chances were at a premium, Burbage coming closest on 25 minutes when a hopeful punt from the right wing was caught by the swirling wind and deposited onto the crossbar - the rebound being hit straight at the keeper.

The game ended my longest run of matches without a 0-0.

West Midlands (Regional) League Division Two
Wolverhampton United 2-1 Rock Rovers
F&N, Att: 17 (h/c)

2nd v 5th at . United probably just about deserved the win, but there wasn't a huge amount between the teams.

Rovers took the lead on 10 minutes, when a long punt forward saw number 9 outpace the defence, and lob he keeper. The home side’s goals came on 31 and 44 minutes. On both occasions, United’s pacy right winger, who caused problems for the visiting left back throughout, crosses for number 9 to fire home.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
May 1st - The marker for one third of the year having passed you by, and my 48th day in a row without a game.

The first week of May is generally notable for two things, the May bank holiday which often gives a chance for more than one game as the English season winds down, and the Faringdon Thursday Cup Final, which normally takes place on the first Thursday of May. In 2008, that was the 1st May, and I chose that occasion, my first visit to the final as the game for tweet of the day. Lambourn Sports beat Letcombe by 2-0, (both first half goals) on a glorious spring evening. I have the crowd listed as 84

My earliest game for the 1st May is one of a pair for which I do not have the crowd figure. Although this was my first visit to Brighton's Goldstone Ground, the figure will not be on Brighton's records as this was the Sussex Senior Cup final. Bognor Regis winning by a single goal against Peacehaven & Telscombe. (For the record, I made two further visits to the ground, one with Brighton as home team, and one when Tottenham Hotspur were at home). The other missing attendance was also in Sussex, in 1991 for Franklands Village 0-1 Horsham YMCA. I can say that a late Lepine goal gave YMCA the points, and that the £1 it cost to enter included the programme

The lockdown has prompted mention of longest periods without a game. April 2020 being the first calender month without a game for me since July 1994. I see SteveB goes back two years earlier.

However, in 1992-3 I took a contract in Cilegon, Indonesia. It was not my best ever job - but it was very well paid. Cilegon did not have a team in the Indonesian League at the time, and the nearest grounds were in Jakarta. I saw a few games in December 1992, but then had a long lay-off until 1st May 1993 (132 days without a game). My contract had finished on April 30th and I had a couple of days in Singapore before the flight back to blighty. On my first day in Singapore, there was a first division game at the Clementi Stadium, that sounded to me as if it should have been in the Spartan League. Charlton SC beat Redhill Rangers 1-0. This was Redhill's home game, but I am not certain how venues were allocated then. The Clementi has been used in the S-League but is not a current stadium. There were around 300 in attendance.

The first time I took advantage of the Bank Holiday for football was in 1989 for a Hampshire League treble. The games were Braishfield 0-3 Whitchurch United (20), SR Basingstoke 5-1 Awbridge (62) and Downton 2-1 Locksheath (105). This was the new Downton ground, as I had been to the old one some years earlier. SR Basingstoke (Soldier's Return?) played at Whiteditch Playing Fields. Not sure if they are still there, let alone in use tday

Although it was a Sunday, I picked up another threesome in 1994 - although this time only the middle game was a new ground. I was staying down for another three matches on the Monday. The revisits were Tavistock 2-2 St. Austell (80) in the South Western League and Saltash United (reserves) 1-0 Foxhole Stars (50) in the East Cornwall Premier. With Northern Telecom (Paignton) 2-8 Newton Abbott as the filling for the sandwich. Notes say that only Tavistock did not do a programme, but I cannot remember if Northern Telecom was a groundhopper produced one. They played at Long Road, Paignton and again I do not know if the ground is still there and used.

The third tripple saw the miles eaten up as I went from Somerset to Worcestershire in 2000. Starting at Temple Cloud, I saw Clutton win 2-1 (55) in the third division of the County League. From there it was up to Bishop's Cleeve to pay my first visit since they had moved grounds. They lost 4-1 to Worcester College Old Boys (70) in the Hellenic League. Worcester College, of course is an Oxford team, but I still then headed to the Midland Combination in Worcester to the County ground to see County Sports beat Wellesbourne 10 (ten)-0 (40). Only Cleeve printed a programme that day

The final three-er was in 2006, starting in the North East at Newcastle Benfield, where Billingham Town won 3-0 (70), then on to the Shipowners' Cup Final at Stokesley SC, with the home side defeating Cleator Moor Celtic by 2-1 (120)
P1000524 m.JPG

On the way south, I popped into the West Yorkshire League to see Rothwell Athletic lose 2-0 at home to Horsforth St. Margarets (30)

In 2010, a Saturday double did not involve travelling between grounds as Hampton FC and Blackwood were sharing the Field Lane ground
P1000408 m.JPG

I expect I could have gone elsewhere in the afternoon but chose to stick to Hampton 2-1 Leamington Hibernian in Midland Combination, Division 2 (18). Later, almost twice the crowd (35) turned up to see Blackwood beat Littleton (reserves) 6-0. Some action from Hampton's game as Andrew Hood reduces the deficit by scoring from the spot
P1000404 m.JPG

Going back to 2005, I made what at the time was my longest day trip, flying from London to Munich and back in the day. The reason was that 1860 were expected to depart Grunwalderstrasse for good after this season, and I really wanted to tick the ground. I had already been interrupted by events and re-booked my flight twice, (yes, even with Easyjet, I managed that). When I left Munich airport, the passport control asked why I had only been in the city for the day, I answered football. This appeared to make perfect sense to him.

The crowd at Grunwalderstrasse was 18,400 - for a scoreless draw against Rot-Weiss Essen in what was expected to be the penultimate game at the ground. Of course they returned later. Not suprisingly this my best for the date, with my two Cheltenham games coming in second and third. 5400 for the goalless draw against Welling United (1999) which was a celebration of the league title won nine days earlier. We were asked to show some respect to the visitors who were relegated due to that result. A win would have resulted in Barrow dropping instead, but as it happened, the AGM Cup reprieved them and they played another season before dropping.

My other Cheltenham game was also a draw 1-1 against Carlisle in 2004. As the crowd of 9524 is more than the Whaddon Road capacity and there was nothing special about this one, you can guess it was at Brunton Park

Coming more up to date, I am indebted to Henfield Bee for a three match (on succesive days) trip in 2018. The first of the trio was at Hesketh Bank, where the West Lancashire side beat Fulwood Amateurs 2-1 (30).

IMG_20180501_184315 m.jpg

Finally, onto 2019. May 1st is always a holiday in France, (as is May 8th) and although league games are not scheduled unless they fall at the weekend, the dates are used for cup matches and postponed league games. Last season, it was the quarter final of the Coupe de Normandie in which US Mesnil Esnard Franqueville lost 7-2 at home to FC Rouen. Around 400 watching the game

P1050199 m.JPG

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks