May 20th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
In the news today (2020) is the EU wanting unlimited fishing rights in UK waters before they consider a trade deal, if we believe the British stance. The EU position has not been made public as far as I'm aware at the time of writing so it's a good story for the Brexiteer press.

On this day in 1973 the British sent three warships to protect trawlers fishing off the coast of Iceland in what was dubbed as the 'cod war'. Iceland extended its territorial waters from the usual 50 miles to 200 meaning that the British trawlers were fishing illegally but NATO negotiated a deal with the two contries to limit the number of trawlers and the catch allowed.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Aston Villa (0) 0 Chelsea (0) 1
F.A. Cup Final
Saturday 20th May, 2000
At Wembley Stadium (the old one), Att.: 78,217

The last F.A. Cup Final at the old Wembley and it was still a thrill to approach the twin towers one last time. Some time later I was making the return journey having lost to a single De Matteo goal thinking "we never even had a go at them".
By now my visits to Villa Park were just mid-week and Sundays but that was still enough to build up sufficient booking history to get into Wembley . . . just! A £25 seat in Row 1 behind the goal wasn't the greatest view, but at least I got in. It did provide a brilliant view of the band which will hopefully be shown in the photo below.
This was of course the year of the 'lucky loser' in the cup with Darlington re-instated and enjoying a trip to Villa Park in Round 3. My own favourite memory of the cup run was the 3-2 win over Leeds in Round 5 with a tremendous Benito Carbone hat trick.
The programme (book?) sold for £10 and comprised 140 pages with the cover depicting newspaper coverage of the 1923 Final. (A gold embossed and bound copy could be order from Wembley Stadium for £20. I declined). Of most interest was the section on 'Great Moments of the F.A.Cup at Wembley' with certain Finals highlighted. Also enjoyable was a four page article about the new Wembley by Simon Inglis. I loved one question he asked in the article when trying to convince readers that the old stadium had seen better days. He simply wrote 'Have you been to the toilets yet this afternoon?'
Also included in the programme was a reproduction of the 1923 programme and this was fascinating with extensive coverage of the British Empire Exhibition to be staged in 1924. Readers of the programme were advised that the exhibition would be 'encouraging a greater volume of inter-Imperial trade' and that 'the Dominions and Colonies are participating to the fullest extent'. Given that this is 1923 the figures quoted are huge with Canada and Australia each constructing halls of 150,000 square feet at a cost of £250,000.
I've rather drifted away from the game itself but, as mentioned above, only one side turned up.
2000CupFinal 002.JPG
2000CupFinal 001.JPG

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
2018 Bromham FC 2 Semington 2 (FT) 4-2p Chippenham & District Sunday League Subsidiary Cup FINAL @ Westbury United Att: 120+

Nothing as grand as Wembley for me; two local teams battling it out on a warm Sunday morning. A good game it was too - Semington in the Premier led for much of the game with some good football against a young but spirited Bromham side. It was 0-2 with 20 to go but Bromham pulled it back and could have won in the last minute as a shot thumped against the bar.
I played for the old (defunct) Bromham in the late 70's when they had a thriving youth side, so I wasn't totally neutral on this for the phoenix club.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Saturday @ 15-00.
British Championship @ Hampden.

Scotland 0 v 1 England.
1978 Scotland v England Football Programme

Scotland - Alan Rough , Stuart Kennedy , Willie Donachie , Kenny Burns ,Tom Forsyth , Bruce Rioch , Don Masson , Asa Hartford , Joe Jordan , Kenny Dalglish , Willie Johnston.
Subs - Graeme Souness for Rioch , Archie Gemmill for Masson.
Manager - Ally MacLeod.

England - Ray Clemence , Phil Neal , Mick Mills , Tony Currie , Dave Watson , Emlyn Hughes , Steve Coppell (1) , Ray Wilkins , Paul Mariner , Trevor Francis , Peter Barnes.
Subs - Brian Greenhoff for Hughes , Trvor Brooking for Paul Mariner.
Manager - Ron Greenwood.

Referee - Georges Konrath (Schwindratzheim , France).

What a way to leave for the World Cup with Allys army , the last game before the Peru game in Cordoba.
I'm still smiling at the song and Ally's confidence.

Poor keeping by Rough cost Scotland the game, failing to clear a Barnes cross when challenged by Francis , the ball dropped to Coppell who fired in his first goal for England. Obviously Scotland were claiming Rough had been impeded , make your own mind up.

The Scotland team only showed one change for the next game v Peru with Martin Buchan replacing Willie Donachie.

Finishing table.
England. 3 3 0 0 5- 1 6
Wales 3 1 1 1 3- 4 3
Scotland 3 0 2 1 2- 3 2
N.Ireland 3 0 1 2 1- 3 1

29 x games , 3 x doubles , 3 x 0-0's.

HMS Scylla collides with Odinn

The Royal Navy’s 2,500 ton Leander-class frigate HMS Scylla collides with the Icelandic vessel ICGV Odinn in the third and final Cod War.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/the-cod-wars/

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1982/83 Beckenham Town v Slade Green - Kent League *
1983/84 Stansted v Basildon United - Courage Eastern Floodlit Final 2nd Leg *
2017/18 Stockton Town 0 Thatcham Town 1 (31,430) FA Vase Final
Brackley Town 1 Bromley 1 (aet) (31,430) FA Trophy Final (Brackley Town won 5-4 on pens)

* Any further information on these two games would be appreciated

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
Just the one game for me:
1990 – Bristol Rovers 1 Tranmere Rovers 2 (Leyland Daf cup final) Wembley

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Some reminiscences of the seven matches I can recall attending on this date. All but one are abroad as football starts to dry up in England:

1983: UEFA Under-18 Championship - Czechoslovakia U18 1 - 1 England U18 - Att: c.2,500
This match was played at Highbury, my 17th of 32 games seen at that much-missed stadium. The whole stadium was open but only a small crowd appeared and was very thinly spread over the terraces and stands. I stood on the North Bank, as was usual for me when at Highbury. The game went to penalties and after a long conflab it became clear that these were going to occur at the sparsely-populated Clock End, leading to quite a few spectators trying to move to that end and an ugly confrontation with the police. Unlike a game I mentioned yesterday, I do have a note of the outcome: Czechoslovakia won 4-2 and went on to lose the White Hart Lane final to France, whilst England won a third-place playoff against Italy.

1989: Ligue 1 - RC Lens 0 - 0 Paris Saint-Germain - Att: 25,000
My first of two (or I suppose you could call it three) visits to the Stade Bollaert. It was an impressive stadium then, with large banks of terracing, before the redevelopment that has seen it become one of the best stadiums in France. Having travelled overnight from Southend and spent a day touring World War One battlefields, we were here in very good time for the evening kick-off. Such good time in fact that we were able to watch a reserve match in the stadium as a warm up to the big game. RC Lens II v Fecamp. Unfortunately I do not even have a note of the result, let alone any memories. The main match was a whopper as PSG had to do better on the night than Marseille to be champions of France, whilst for Lens, relegation was already confirmed. But it was clear that Lens and their supporters would do anything they could to stop PSG from being champions. If asked what is the best 0-0 you have ever seen I always recall this match. Desperate defending from the home team, a quite fantastic atmosphere, baton-wielding CRS riot police wading in to the PSG fans but being repelled and some cops running onto the pitch to get away, and massive celebration at the end when the championship headed to Marseille not Paris - this game had everything but goals.

1995: Ligue 1 - Lille OSC 1 - 0 Girondins de Bordeaux - Att: c.10,000
A very long day out by car from Leytonstone, driven by Pat H. All was going swimmingly until we arrived in Lille and realised that none of us had bothered to look up an address for where Lille actually play. Various conversations out of the car window in schoolboy French led to much Gallic shrugging of shoulders until eventually we were given directions to a fine-looking stadium. This turned out to be the Stadion du Nord (where one day I was to see a Wasquehal match). Some time later we finally pulled into a parking spot near the now-demolished city centre Stade Grimonprez-Jooris. The game was just kicking off as we came through the gate and some (but not all) of us were at the top of the steps onto the terrace in time to see one-time Notts County striker Frank Farina score the first-minute only goal of the match. I don't think I have ever been part of such a disinterested crowd at a top-level fixture. Most people were just sitting in little groups on the terrace smoking evil-smelling fags and chatting. The biggest crowd reaction of the day (louder than the cheer that greeted the early goal) was to welcome the tannoy announcement at half time that Lens were losing their match at Auxerre. All a far cry from the intimidating atmosphere today at Lille's much more impressive new ground.

2005: Regionaliga Nord - Concordia Hamburg 2 - 1 SV Meppen - Att: 420
Although I saw them as an away team several times, this was my only visit to the decent Stadion Marienthal in the suburbs of Hamburg. The stadium is now demolished. Concordia were not particularly well-supported at this time and it was Meppen supporters in the ascendancy here.

2007: A-Division - CSKA Sofia 1 - 0 FC Strumska Slava Radomir - Att: 180
This was a strange one; the only match I have seen in Bulgaria on my only visit to the country. Football was not the only purpose of a long weekend away with friends, but we were all disappointed when we realised that we would only get to see one game. Only the top two divisions were playing, with all matches kicking off simultaneously in the last round of the season. We had different opinions on what to do. I was going to watch CSKA whatever happened, even though there was no meaning to their fixture. Robert S was determined to go to the Lokomotive v Slavia derby, as this would have a bearing on the championship.

Robert went alone and the rest of us headed to the Bulgarian Army Stadium to see CSKA. It was eerily quiet when we got there. No spectators at all, but plenty of police. Tickets were easily acquired and we entered the main stand of an almost empty stadium. The main fan block to our left contained more ball boys than it did spectators. The people around us in the main stand were mostly in suits. One helpfully explained to us that the CSKA fans were boycotting the match.

When we met up in the evening, Robert talked us through the riots, the pitch invasions, the thousands of people locked out, the heavy-handed policing, the overturned tram, the Levski celebrations and all the other drama of his afternoon. We had little to report. Back at the hotel late that night I settled down to watch Bulgarian Match of the Day. A main feature was how just a tiny number of CSKA supporters had broken the boycott. The cameras then zoomed in on me, Colin G and Peter walking away from the ticket office gratefully clutching our pieces of paper.

2012: Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg - FV Illertissen 0 - 0 FC 08 Villingen - Att: 200
If my match at Lens in 1989 was the best 0- 0 I have ever seen, this may have been the worst. Illertissen were transferring next season to the Oberliga Bayern and this was their final match in the league of their home state. And they just could not be bothered. It was dull, dull, dull. A couple of other English groundhoppers showed up late, with sore heads. They had been out all night celebrating a Chelsea win in one or other of the UEFA competitions, played yesterday in Munich. That's about all I remember, it was so dull. At the end we did not stay for the end-of-season free beer as Andrea N had offered us a helpful lift to Neu Ulm.

Last edited:

Vic Parker

Junior Team Hopeful
Friday 20-May-94 at Bass Sports Ground-
Alton Town 0-2 Cowes Sports-
Hampshire League Division 1

Saturday 20-May-95 at The Sportsfield, Milton-
Milton United 3-1 Wantage Town-
Hellenic League Division 1

Sunday 20-May-07 at Old Wells Road Playing Fields-
Willand Rovers 2-0 Welton Rovers-
Western League Cup Final [Les Phillips]

Tuesday 20-May-14 at Crichel Park-
Witchampton United 1-3 Upwey & Broadwey-
Dorset Senior League

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
I was also at Hampden for the 1978 Scotland v England Home International game. Must say I wasn’t aware of any England supporters at the match. In the 70s they kept a very low profile at Hampden but by the mid 1980s they were much more visible.

I’ll concentrate on May 20th 1987 and one of the finest achievements in Scottish football history – Dundee United in the Final of the UEFA Cup.

Wednesday May 20th 1987
UEFA Cup Final Second Leg
Dundee United v IFK Goteborg, 1-1, H.T.0-1 Att 20,911
At Tannadice Park

This game represents the peak of Dundee United’s fantastic period under Jim McLean. First major trophy in 1979. Scottish Champions in 1983. European Cup Semi Finalists in 1984. And in 1987, the unlikely achievement of reaching a European Final.

Arguably the UEFA Cup was the most difficult competition of the three European countries. There was an extra round to be negotiated and you were up against more than one team from the major footballing powers, frequently including that season’s Champion club. United’s route to the Final was far from easy. They defeated RC Lens, Univsitatea Craiova, Hajduk Split, Barcelona and Borussia Moenchengladbach along the way – the home and away win Barcelona being the highlight. Goteborg had beaten Sigma Olonouc, Stahl Brandenburg, KAA Gent, Inter Milan and Swarowski Innsbruck to get there.

It would be fair to say that United were starting to feel the effects of a very hard season. The second leg of the Final was their 70th game of the season and four days earlier they had lost a gruelling Scottish Cup Final at Hampden. Goteborg, on the other hand, were only a couple of months into their season and had a much better chance to prepare for the tie.

Despite the hectic schedule, United had given a good account of themselves in Goteborg where they lost 1-0. The consensus was that the match was very much in the balance but that the first goal would prove crucial. If Goteborg could get it, then United would need three to win.

Teams:
United: Billy Thomson, John Holt (Sub Paul Hegarty), Maurice Malpas, Jim McInally, John “Hoss” Clark, Davie “Sash” Narey, Ian Ferguson, Kevin Gallagher, Billy Kirkwood, Paul “Luggy” Sturrock, Ian Redord (Sub Eamonn Bannon)
IFK: Thomas Wernersson, Mats Carlsson, Glen Hysen, Peter Larsson, Stig Frederiksson, Roland Nilsson (Sub Magnus Johansson), Tord Holmgren, Michael Andersson, Tommy Holdgren (Sub Lars Zetterlund), Stefan Petterson, Lennart Nilsson.

Tannadice was sold out. Goteborg fans had the section between the Main Stand and the Shed, numbering around 2000. I remember the atmosphere as being more tense than at the previous ties against Barcelona and Gladbach. For those games United fans had a devil may care attitude, knowing they were the underdogs. This time they were regarded as favourites in some quarters and the pressure was palpable. I was on the steep main terracing towards the Shed End.

Lennart Nilsson scored the all important goal for the visitors seven minutes before half time. John Clark got the equaliser on the hour mark, raising hopes that United might come back. The big man showed uncharacteristic fancy footwork to create an opening and strike a great ball into the net. However, Goteborg were too good to throw the game away and effectively shut things down to hold on for a draw.

In the aftemath of the match United were awarded a speial UEFA Fair Play trophy for the behaviour of their supporters. To a man they stayed behind to applaud Goteborg on their lap of honour and to acclaim their own beaten heroes.

du.jpg

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 20th May 2006
Halifax Town 2 Hereford United 3 (after extra time, 2-2 at 90 minutes)
Conference Promotion Final @ Walkers Stadium, Leicester (5.30)
Attendance 15,499
Programme £5 (52pp)

What might have been. When, with 17 minutes of normal time remaining, substitute John Grant put Chris Wilder’s Halifax 2-1 up, flicking a Lewis Killeen cross deftly past goalkeeper Wayne Brown, Shaymen supporters, outnumbered two to one, allowed themselves to dream of a second Football League return.

But fellow substitute Guy Ipoua (80) headed in a Simon Travis cross to take into extra time a gripping contest. Three minutes into the second period, Ryan Green ended Hereford’s nine-year absence from the elite by looping home a drive from the edge of the penalty area. Despite being, by 2006, very much a lapsed Halifax follower, I was so disappointed by this turn of events, I left as the final whistle sounded, bidding farewell to my Birmingham-based brother and his Stoke City-supporting house-mate. I didn’t hang around to see Hereford receive the trophy and their medals.

Earlier, Lewis Killeen (27), finding a top corner from the left angle of the penalty area, had fired Halifax ahead. Andy Williams (34) ensured parity at half-time. Losing marker Peter Atherton, Williams flung himself at an Adam Stansfield cross to head into the bottom corner. Irritatingly, before either goal, Northamptonshire referee Dean Whitestone had waved away Halifax appeals for a penalty when Hereford captain Tamika Mkandawire appeared to block with an arm a close-range Ryan Sugden header. Injuries to Greg Young and Matt Doughty, forcing both to be replaced, didn’t help Halifax.

This was a pulsating match of quality goals and dazzling football. Well, that’s how my then-colleagues described it when I returned to the office the following morning. A greater ability to see the bigger picture is one of the reasons I’ve enjoyed not supporting a team for 22 years. After finishing second three times in a row, then failing even to reach the play-off final in the previous two seasons, maybe Hereford deserved a break. Just a shame, with Wembley being rebuilt, everybody had to make do with a final in dull old Leicester. If nothing else, geographically, the Walkers Stadium was a halfway house.

Teams:

Halifax: Jon Kennedy, Steve Haslam, Matt Doughty (Chris Senior, 76), Adam Quinn, Martin Foster, Lewis Killeen, Ryan Sugden (John Grant, 65), Greg Young (Steve Bushell, 61), Tyrone Thompson, Peter Atherton, Danny Forest. Sub (not used): Lee Butler (gk), Brian Smikle.

Hereford: Wayne Brown, Ryan Green, Simon Travis, Tamika Mkandawire, Adam Stansfield (Stuart Fleetwood, 93), Andy Ferrell, Andy Williams (Guy Ipoua, 75), Craig Stanley (Jamie Pitman, 90), Alex Jeannin, Rob Purdie, Dean Beckwith. Sub (not used): Daniel Carey-Bertram, Craig Mawson (gk).

Whether going up or staying down, neither club’s story featured a happy ending. Halifax folded in 2008, Hereford six years later. Both were heavily in debt.

https://www.talkingbull.org/video-vault-1-halifax-town-2-3-hereford-united/

Other football:

Muirkirk Juniors 0 Craigmark Burntonians 3 (2017, Ayrshire District League). Nothing at stake but a fairly competitive game for the 56 spectators at Burnside Park. Scott Dempster (2) and Mitchell Ewing got the goals. Defeat ensured Muirkirk finish bottom of the table with just two wins and a draw from 22 fixtures. Smashing ground, with a stand at one end and terracing along the near side. Also checked out Muirkirk’s derelict former ground, Ladeside Park, an isolated location now patrolled only by sheep and the occasional walker. Called in at this former coal mining village en route to a holiday cottage six miles east of Ayr. I nominate the A70 between the M74 and Muirkirk, surface akin to a cart track, as Britain’s worst stretch of ‘A’ road.

Dringhouses 4 Riccall United 3 @ Mill Lane, Wigginton (2015, York League Senior Cup, Final). Three goals without reply in the last 10 minutes, including a clincher just before the final whistle, secured victory for Dringhouses and denied Riccall the league and cup double. Riccall led 2-0 and 3-1 in front of 115 spectators on a gloriously sunny evening at the Wigginton Grasshoppers ground (four miles up the road) but Dringhouses were the better side. With sharper finishing, they would not have had to rely on such a dramatic climax.

Other sports:

Cricket at Huddersfield League Armitage Bridge (2018). Routine seven-wicket win over Premier Division rivals Cawthorne. Bridge’s three spinners capitalised on a turning wicket. Close to a converted former textile mill, Dean Brook Road is a pretty Holme Valley ground, accessed via a single-track lane before opening out unexpectedly into a tree-fringed expanse. Blooming hawthorn completed a charming scene.

Buxton Hitmen 50 Cleveland Bays 42 (2007, speedway, Conference League). One of numerous visits to Britain’s most scenic speedway track. Sadly, the High Edge circuit closed in 2018. This was Buxton’s opening league match of the 2007 season. Hitmen were without the injured Ben Taylor and Andy Braithwaite while Redcar-based Bays tracked three ex-Buxton riders. Carl Belfield (12+2 from six) and Jack Roberts (12+1 from six) top-scored for the hosts, with skipper Mark ‘Buzz’ Burrows (17 from seven) and reserve Greg Blair (11+1 from seven) contributing all but 14 of Cleveland’s points. ‘Buzz’, a trier but not always in control of his bike, could be a right menace, to himself and others!

Buxton Hitmen 28 Rye House Rockets 61, 56-123 on aggregate (2001, speedway, Conference League Trophy). Worth a mention because it’s the biggest away win I’ve witnessed. For Rye, David Mason scored a five-ride maximum and there were double-figure contributions from Darren Andrews (12) and Simon Wolstenholme (12). Paul Burnett (9+1) and Robert McNeil (9) were Buxton’s best.

Yorkshire 46 Cornwall 15 @ Cross Green, Otley (2000, rugby union, County Championship, Semi-Final). A classical ground, overlooked by the Chevin, a wooded, windblown ridge, about to be vacated by Otley then turned into housing. The main stand, acquired from a site in Preston, has been at Cross Green since 1935. On a warm afternoon, Yorkshire outclassed the holders, running in six tries, to set up a final clash with Devon at Twickers, where the White Rose won 16-9 to claim a 13th title. I’ve no record of the Cross Green crowd but Cornwall were reported to have brought a thousand supporters.

Edinburgh Monarchs 40 Glasgow Tigers 56 (1994, speedway, British League, Division Two, ‘A’ series). With respect to defunct quartet Ashfield, Cowdenbeath, Motherwell and Paisley, this inter-city club showdown has always been Scottish speedway’s ‘Old Firm’ clash. Against an Edinburgh side without the injured Kenny McKinna and Jan Andersen, Glasgow had few problems maintaining an undefeated start to the season. Though the result was never in doubt once Tigers led 10-2 after two heats, Monarchs’ ability to pick up points from the back made for an entertaining meeting. Nigel Crabtree (12), Hungarian Robert Nagy (11+1), reserve James Grieves (10+3) and Australian Mick Powell (10+1) led the Glasgow scoring. Star Monarchs were the invariably exciting Les Collins (14+1) and local lad Scott Lamb (9+2). A clement Friday spent sightseeing in Edinburgh, followed by speedway at Powderhall Stadium (now housing), was always a pleasure!

Attachments

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 European Champions Cup Final (@ Wembley)

Barcelona v Sampdoria 1-0 (aet 90 mins 0-0)

Andy D and I met up with Dave Cox (DC from Warrington but living in London suburbia, not the West Mids DC) at some point and then made our way to Wembley stadium. It kept up my record of never having seen a game in the same competition there until a Challenge Cup Final revisit in 2010. Other competitions besides this had been an England World Cup Qualifier, A Charity Shield, An FA Trophy Final and the Challenge Cup in 1990. I think that is them all.

I approached the European Cup Final not really caring who won and that was the case up until the action started. Barca fans were well up for it though, whereas Sampdoria seemed somewhat apathetic as far as cheering their team went on, so I swung in favour of Barca. A good choice.

The game was OK if never a classic. We had all put a bet on for a 0-0 score as a back up in case it was a dull affair, and that was the score at 90 minutes, so we all won at 5-1, I think. The winner came from Koeman in extra time with a great strike. We had decent seats for this, and I also remember we were sat behind actor Andrew Paul, aka Dave Quinnan from The Bill. I had to look the name up as I had forgotten both, but he was one of the main characters in it at the time I thought. All in all, a good experience. Still got the prog and ticket stub. I think the Barca bootleg scarf has long gone though.

1995 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Prestatyn Town v Y Felinheli 5-0

1996 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Caerwys v Henllan Lost 4-1

Such is the life of a football fan at this time of year. Wembley Stadium the day before (Trophy Final) and then to Caerwys for Summer League. Love it.

1997 Read Construction Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division

Rhostyllen Villa v Wrexham Colts a railed pitch with a stand added at some point around this time, and they sometimes issued.

1998 Hyfforddiant Gwynedd Training League Llanrwst United v Penrhyndeudraeth 1-0

Super setting in the Conwy Valley with the camouflaged stand and wooded hill/mountain back drop. Prone to flooding though but not in May. They sometimes issued.

2000 West Riding County Amateur League Division One Dudley Hill Athletic v Otley Town 3-3

Last game of the season in England for me. Went with Andy D. A railed pitch on the very outskirts of Bradford. No other facilities. No prog. I think they folded some years later or dropped to district football perhaps. No idea if the pitch still exists.

2001 Tetleys Bitter Super League VI Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Lost 24-30

2002 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Caerwys v Henllan Won 2-5

A repeat of six years previously, but Summer League does tend to have the same fixtures patterns each season providing the league membership is the same. Same ground as the Clwyd League/Welsh Alliance/NE Wales club, unless this was a game played at the caravan park. That was just a pitch in a field. The normal ground is enclosed, and these days has a smart pavilion and changing rooms. The Summer League version have never issued. They did for the Saturday side though.

2006 Wearside League Teesside Athletic v Gateshead Low Fell 2-1

Shared trip with Andy D. Due to heavy rain this was played on an outside pitch as the main one was flooded. Just roped off. We got back there earlier this season (as Redcar Athletic) for the main ground. The visitors were in effect Gateshead Reserves. There was a prog

2008 Four Nations Trophy 2008 (@ Rhyl FC) Wales v Scotland 1-1

2010 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanrhaeadr Lost 1-2

2013 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Caerwys v Henllan Won 4-5

2017 Neath League Premier Division Seven Sisters v AFC Pontardawe 5-1

Another shared trip with Andy D. To date our only game in this league, although there are plans to address that and visit Ystradgynlais at some point. A great spot. Fully enclosed and railed with some cover down one side. Crossed over a covered bridge over a stream to gain access on one side. No prog but I had one from their Welsh League days

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Conference National Play Off Final @ Walkers Stadium Leicester.
Halifax Town 2 Hereford United 3.(AET)
Adm. £20.
Prog. £5.
Att. 15,499.

Regionalliga Nordost.
BFC Dynamo 0 Carl Zeiss Jena 4.
Adm €12.
Prog. €2.
Att. 1,290.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Found my old cricket score books the other day.

Middlesex v Leicestershire (55 overs) Benson and Hedges Cup, Lords
Leics 210 for 7 (Gower 49, Tolchard 56)
Middx 200 all out (Featherstone 55)

Yorkshire v Somerset (County Championship)
Somerset 269 all out (Roebuck 112)
I just attended the first day, match was drawn.

And on to footy for this day

1995, a double:
Bishops Cleeve v Yarnton 12-1
Hellenic D1

Meir KA v Coleshill Tn 2-0
Mid Com Prem

Hemsworth MW v Marsden 0-0
West Riding Co. Amateur Prem

Hollinwood v Ashton Ath. 0-5
Manchester League D1

Dudley Hill Ath. v Otley Tn 3-3
West Riding Co. Amateur D1

Bottesford St Mary's v Pinxton North End 7-1
Notts Lge D2

Wacker Burghausen v SC Paderborn '07 5-1
Bundesliga 2

Barnstaple AAC v Park Utd 2-5
N.Devon Snr

Pilton Academicals v Kilkhampton 3-2
N.Devon Snr

Boca Seniors v Shebbear Utd 15 (Fifteen) - 0
N.Devon Prem..

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
No football for me on this date. Almost certainly some village cricket but I never kept a record of those. So the only sporting event I have a record of is rugby league

2018 - Betfred League 1 - North Wales Crusaders 28-46 Keighley Cougars

martin55

Junior Team Regular
Did the same double as Desselsportfan in 1995. Cup final day with Bishops Cleeve at 11:30 and Meir KA at 2:45. Bishops Cleeve were then playing at their Stoke Road ground. Facilities all on one side with a small shelter attached to the side of the clubhouse. The 12-1 win was the highest I had seen up to that time.

From there a blast back up the M5/M6 to Stanley Park who were playing at the same time as the cup final because they could get players available for a morning game. Managed to get there before kick off (but not by much). Many others were also there for their second game of the day and programmes had sold out.

I haven’t got an attendance noted for either game.

The other game of note on this day was in 1998.

Staffordshire County League (North)
Oakamoor v Wolstanton United 4-4

Out in the wilds of North Staffordshire in the village of Waterhouses (between Leek and Ashbourne), some six miles from the village of Oakamoor itself. Just a part roped pitch on the village rec. I have a “crowd” of 19 noted, which included several hoppers.

It was only 1-1 at half time but regular scoring upped the goal tally. Wolstanton were probably favourites to win this game but got increasingly frustrated through the second half culminating in the 81st minute penalty for the 8th and final goal (for Oakamoor). Wolstanton had a player sent off at this point (for dissent) and another after the final whistle.

Oakamoor FC are no more, but not sure when they disappeared.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Once again, no football I'm afraid
Rugby League
2001 Eagles 40 Hunslet 10
2006 Oulton Raiders 20 Thornhill Trojans 11 Nat. Conf. Grand Final @ Batley worst crowd violence I've ever seen at RL, in stands, on pitch and in streets outside

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
1983/84 Stansted v Basildon United - Courage Eastern Floodlit Final 2nd Leg *

* Any further information on these two games would be appreciated
I was also at that match, which was played on a Sunday and am reasonably sure of what the score was (it was not a high-scoring game) but as I am in the office, I will need to wait until I get home to double-check it. I will then do another post on this thread, so watch this space!

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
23 games for me, including three cup finals. European (1992), Austrian (2012) and Gosport War Memorial (1983).

So to start with the big first one, the Gosport War Memorial Cup was (and maybe still is?) an end of season match-up between the local sem-pro sides. I had seen Bognor beat Fareham two days before, and I expect Gosport had also played Waterlooville. All matches were played at Gosport's Privett Park and 170 turned up for the final. League matches were finished, and there was no messing about, it was full first team squads in action. Bognor scored on 59 minutes, Gosport equalised on 72 and there were no goals in extra time, the scores staying equal until the seventh penalty kick in the shoot out for each side. Gosport's was missed, Bornor scored and took the cup 7-6 in the shoot-out.

1987. A trip to Stark's Park to see the semi-professional international between England and the Netherlands. This was a Wednesday, and I staying in Scotland, one match a day until Tuesday, then went back to work for a couple of days before reurning to Scotland for two more matches the following weekend. I do not have a figure for how many paid £1.50 each for this game. England won thanks to four goals from Mark Carter (17. 37, 38 and 62 minutes).

1989. Bayer Leverkusen 2-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (8200). Bundesliga. At the time, the ground was known as the Ulrich Haberland Stadion. Confusingly, since the stadium was renovated and renamed the BayArena, the small ground next door, used for the reserve team now has the name Ulrich Haberland

1992. Barcelona 1-0 Sampdoria (aet) (70,827). European Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. Just possible that this was the big one. Ronald Koeman's goal is around the three minute mark on the video

1995. Prestatyn Town 5-0 Y Felinheli (80). Welsh Alliance

1999. AaB 2-0 Akademisk Boldklub (12,187). Danish Supaliga. As Akademisk are often referred to as AB, this match can be reduced to AaB 2-0 AB, which must keep it top if I were to keep alphabetical lists

2000. Petro Plock 3-1 Pogon Szczecin (2500), followed by Legia Warsawa 0-3 Polonia Warsawa (10,000). Ekstraklassa. Going into the Warsaw game, Ruch (who had played the night before) had 54 points with two to play, Wisla were on 52 - but had three to play and Polonia, also with three to play were on 59. So a win for Polonia would give them the title for the second time in their history. There was a lot of trouble at and around the ground. I recall seeing groups of fans burning opposition scarves in the stadium. No doubt these had been obtained from the away fans without payment. I was in town for the evening, taking a meal before the night train to Berlin. You could hear groups of Polonia fans singing "Champions", and then sirens as the police tried to disperse them or Legia fans who were not happy that another team in the city took the title.

2003. MKS Odra Wodzislaw Slaski 0-3 Amica Wronki. (5500)

2004. Pasching 4-0 SV Mattersburg (4800). Pasching, then known as ASKO Pasching had arrived in the Bundesliga in 2002, after three successive promotions. They enjoyed a good run in the Intertoto Cup in 2003 and now qualified directly for the UEFA Cup. It is a sign of what can be achieved with a good sponsorship. It was a pleasant ground with a big party afterwards. When I mentioned I had to leave to get the bus back into Linz and my hotel, they demanded I stay on later and arranged a lift back into town for later. As with so many clubs that shine brightly on someone else's money, they soon fell from grace, and the licence was sold to a Klagenfurt club (which in turn failed). A new FC Pasching was formed, but has since merged with LASK. The stadium, greatly changed is currently used by LASK

2006. Gorica 2-1 Maribor. This was Gorica's third successive title in Slovenia. They have not achived the same since. I was staying in Gorizia, just across the border in Italy and travelled between the two by bus. At that time, Slovenia were not yet members of the Schengen agreement, (they had agreed to join). So while the border post was manned, the square in front of Gorica's railway station had a line across the middle to show the border and signs up asking people to leave the square in the same country as they entered it from. Considering it was an important game, Gorica level on points with Domzale, three games to go - the crowd at 900 was poor. Slovenia is on the left.

P1000543 m.JPG

2008. 1 FC Tatran Presov 3-0 MFK Prievidia (1135)
2009. Drava Ptuj 0-1 Primorje (1000)
2010. KFC Katelijne 3-1 KFC Houtvene (500). Antwerp Provincial Play Off

2012. FC Stadlau 1-2 ISS Admira Technopool (180), Wiener Stadtliga, followed by Red Bull Salzburg 3-0 SV Ried (16,000). Austrian Cup final at Ernst Happel, (Prater) Stadion. There were a couple of other hoppers at the first game, who told me they had to leave early to get somewhere, probably Bratislava for a second game, I pointed out that their train would stop at Stadlau sation after the game was completed and heading back to the main station in Vienna was not required. For me, it was a simple run to the Prater for my second game, and a fairly easy win for the Red Bull XI
P1050298 m.JPG

2013. Heider SV 0-0 TSV Altenholz (260), Schleswig Holstein Liga, followed by Uhlenhorster SC Paloma 5-0 TuS Germania Schnelsen (170), Hamburg Liga. The second game was the only one I have ever seen played on Rote Erde. P1060598 m.JPG

2014. DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda 1-0 Spartak Trnava (7009). The two teams in Slovakia with the higest support. Dunajska Streda, is in the southern parts of Slovakia, which has a majority Hungarian population. The Slovakian government has long been worried about movements in the area that would like to cede from Slovakia and act either independently, or to join Hungary. The whole mess being part of the paring down of Hungary after the first world war. Fans are banned from flying Hungarian flags at the matches, (it may be a ban on all foreign flags), but they find ways around this. In this photo, taken just after the goal, the top rows of balloons are in the colours of the Hungarian flag (with home colours below)

P1070203 m.JPG

2017 - Bonner SC 2-0 Viktoria Koln (800), Regionallia. Chosen as tweet of the day

2018 - FC Petrzalka Academia 6-0 FK Vajnory (1042) followed by SFK Sered 4-1 MFK Zvolen (1189). Every game counted for the reformed Petrzalka as they were just two points ahead at the top of the 3. Liga (Bratislava) and only the champions go up. They won this and their remaining games to take the title. No problems for Sered in the second division, as they started the final game four points ahead at the top of the league. After arriving at the station, I took some time looking at the maps outside, and wondering if I should enter a very noisy bar full of home fans outside the station. Suddenly, I was asked, "Are you Leo Hoenig". I had sent a message to make sure I would be able to enter, not knowing how many would be at their small ground. The club secretary was not looking for me, but guessed that someone looking slightly lost could be me. He insisted I came into the bar, and we had some drinks there, and another bar closer to the ground, (where his son popped in briefly after playing for the club in a morning age group match). While the game was not sold out, the ground is not considered suitable for the top division, and they have been playing elsewhere ever since. It meant that I saw the champions of the First Division, Second Division and Third Division (Bratislava) during my two day stay.

P1020746 m.JPG

2019. FSV 1920 Offenbach 0-2 SV Buchelberg. (300). A small town which meant bus in, taxi out was the only way to do this Landesliga game, but this was all Kevin and I could find for the Monday.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
2014. DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda 1-0 Spartak Trnava (7009). The two teams in Slovakia with the higest support. Dunajska Streda, is in the southern parts of Slovakia, which has a majority Hungarian population. The Slovakian government has long been worried about movements in the area that would like to cede from Slovakia and act either independently, or to join Hungary. The whole mess being part of the paring down of Hungary after the first world war.

2019. FSV 1920 Offenbach 0-2 SV Buchelberg. (300). A small town which meant bus in, taxi out was the only way to do this Landesliga game, but this was all Kevin and I could find for the Monday.
When I went to Dunjaska Streda some years ago, the match programme was in both Slovak and Hungarian. I have since seen photos which suggest that the ground has since been rebuilt with the pitch turned through 90 degrees, with one of the old stands still being there at the time that they were using the reconfigured pitch.

I was intrigued by your comment about needing a taxi to get away from Offenbach, as the only place with that name which I was aware of was the one next to Frankfurt-am-Main, which will have public transport late at night. I did some googling and found that the one you went to is located close to Landau, which I would have walked to (although you might have been in a hurry to get a connection at Mannheim) and there is also a third Offenbach, which is in the middle of nowhere.

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Looks like the ground Priory (Eastwood) used in 1991 is now home to Moorgreen Colts, although they don't currently have an open-age senior side.

Houghton Town's ground in 1994 is still there as far as I can tell. Not sure if it's used for adult football these days.

Same game as Wiretown.Editor in 1998. Rhostyllen Villa are no more, but Rhostyllen FC currently use the same ground.

2002 was my first visit to Sheepmount in Carlisle. I've been back twice since, once to see Carlisle City on their pitch (before they moved to Gillford Park) and then to see Northbank again after they moved to a different pitch in the complex.

Lochinver is the sort of distant and remote location where you feel a sense of relief at the sight of players warming up on the pitch when you arrive. I've no record of a game the following day so must have been out of luck with the Moray Welfare League in 2006.

Maribor were celebrating their title win in 2012 but the visitors needed a win to qualify for Europe. They were denied by a late Maribor goal. After the game I hung around hoping to watch the trophy being presented, but it took so long I had to leave or risk missing my train back to Ljubljana.

Same cup final as Stoodley Pike in 2015, albeit with slightly different headcounts.

1986 Essex Senior League: Eton Manor 0 Maldon Town 5 (att 20)
1991 Central Midlands Lge, Supreme Div: Priory (Eastwood) 1 Sheffield Aurora 0 (81)
1994 South Midlands Lge, Div 1: Houghton Town 3 Stony Stratford Town 0 (60)
1995 Somerset Senior Lge, Div 2: Street 2 Tunley Athletic 0 (61)
1996 West Riding County Amateur Lge, Div 1: Storthes Hall 1 Hemsworth Miners Welfare 0 (124)
1997 Welsh National Lge (Wrexham Area), Premier Div: Rhostyllen Villa 0 Wrexham Colts 5 (100)
1998 Staffordshire County League (North): Abbey Hulton United 10 Middlewich Athletic reserves 0 (24)
2000 3pm SJFA Central Regional Lge, Div 1: Larkhall Athletic 1 Dunipace 2 (150)
2000 7pm Forth & Endrick League: Aberfoyle Rob Roy 10 Deanston 0 (35)
2002 Northern Alliance, Premier Div: Northbank Carlisle 0 Newcastle University 2 (23)
2006 Highland Amateur Cup, 2nd round: Lochinver 1 Kinlochbervie 2 (78)
2008 Clwyd League, Presidents Cup SF: Abergele Rovers 3 Aston Park Rangers thirds 0 (41)
2009 Clwyd League, Presidents Cup 4th round: St Asaph 3 Penmaenmawr Phoenix 1 (50)
2012 Slovenia, Prva Liga: Maribor 1 Luka Koper 1 (9,000)
2013 West Riding County Amateur Lge, Div 1 Cup Final: AFC Emley reserves 1 Halifax Irish Club 4 (90) at Overthorpe Sports Club FC
2015 York League, Senior Cup Final: Dringhouses 4 Riccall United 3 (123) at Wigginton Grasshoppers FC
2017 Liverpool County Premier Lge, Premier Div: Waterloo Grammar School OB 2 Lower Breck 11 (10)

Back to 2000 for today's photo, for no reason other than the scenic backdrop to Aberfoyle Rob Roy FC.

1938.jpg

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks