May 21st

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1894, the Manchester Ship Canal was officially opened by Queen Victoria

If you were not stuck in some queue trying to get over said canal, and made it to a match on May 21st, tell us about it here

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
2012 - Cleator Moor Celtic Reserves 3 Wigton Athletic 2 (HT 2-1) - Tesco Cumberland County League Division 1
My 1st and only visit to McGrath Park - Attendance u/k

Having never been to this deep into Cumbria before, I had noted that Cleator Moor was known as Little Ireland. But when I arrived, it might as well have been mini-Celtic Park I was at - everything was green and white, celtic posters everywhere. Very pleasant clubhouse above the changing rooms - with a viewing window that meant that I didn't actually go into the main part of the ground, and decided to stay and watch the match from there. However that meant that due to it being very quiet in there - I was the only one there inside - and me being too easily distracted tweeting and things, I actually managed to be completely unaware of both of Wigton's goals. It was only on my way out when I commented to the manager who I happened to recognise that it had been a great 3-0 win for them that he corrected me that it had actually been a close 3-2 win!

Well Cleator Moor Celtic Reserves were playing 3 games in 3 days starting with this Monday night game. Ryan Hall scored on 16 mins for CMC. Sometime in the next half hour I believe came the Wigton Athletic equaliser, before CMC went back ahead from Robert Fowler in 1st half injury time. Not long into the 2nd half apparently Wigton equalised again, but Cleator Moor made it 3-2 on 54 mins, and that is how it stayed. The win put Cleator Moor above Wigton into 3rd.

2014 - Bay Athletic 4 Halifax Irish 2 (HT 1-1) - West Riding County Amateur League Premier Division
My 1st of 2 visits to Northfield Hall - Attendance 40

My 1st time to Northfield Hall and while I had travelled from fairly nearby Rochdale, there were a group there who said they had come from Preston for the game. I guess things were thin on the ground in Lancashire, which is presumably why I was in Yorkshire too. This was 2nd top v 2nd bottom and Halifax Irish needed to avoid defeat by 4 or more goals or they would be relegated on GD as only the bottom club was going down. I asked around for a teamsheet when I got there and Bay manager Marcus Mitchell let me take a photo of his teamsheet. I asked him if knew he could relegate Halifax Irish with a 4-0 win and he said he hadn't realised. And Bay could easily have done so, but Halifax survived, staying up by +1 GD.

The game kicked off 10 mins early, so thankfully I had got there in good time for once. There were hot drinks available in the Hall reception which was good as it was a bit chilly. Marcus Mitchell the manager was in goal. 7 mins in and Halifax got a penalty - they scored and it was 0-1 and the staying-up looked on. Bay equalised later in the 1st half and it was 1-1 at the break. Captain Jon Buckley put Bay ahead on 54 mins. Halifax needed to keep it below 5-1 which they were, but on 73 mins it was 3-1.... 5 mins later and it was 4-1... 1 more goal needed in the final 9 mins to relegate Halifax... But instead Halifax scored on 89 mins and survived.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Saturday @ 15-00.
F A Cup Final.

Liverpool 1 v 2 Man Utd.
@ Wembley Stadium.

1977 FA Cup Final match programme.jpg

Liverpool - Ray Clemence , Phil Neal , Joey Janes , Tommy Smith , Ray Kennedy , Emlyn Hughes , Kevin Keegan , Terry McDermott , Jimmy Case (1) , David Johnson , Steve Heighway.
Sub - Ian Callaghan for Johnson.
Manager - Bob Paisley.

Man Utd - Alex Stepney , Jimmy Nicholl , Arthur Albiston , Brian Greenhoff , Martin Buchan , Sammy McIlroy , Steve Coppull , Lou Macari , Stuart Pearson (1) , Jimmy Greenhoff (1) , Gordon Hill.
Sub - Dave McCreery for Hill.
Manager - Tommy Docherty.

Referee - Bob Matthewson (Bolton).

On route to Rome on Wednesday this was the beginning of the trip.
The first half was a display of class by Liverpool but without making many chances , the best a header by Kennedy being saved by Stepney .

The second half was much better , with only 5 mins gone Greenhoff J set up Pearson to open the scoring.
Only 2 mins later Liverpool had equalised with a cracker by Case.
What a 5 minutes we had , United scored what turned out to be the winner after another 3 mins. Macaris shot which was going wide struck Grenhoff J's side and looped into the net.

There were further chances for both sides but United held on and stopped a possible treble for Liverpool.
Will this be the kick in the proverbials that will help Liverpool in their quest for the big one on Wednesday.

I carried on my journey to Rome with the overnight Harwich to Hoek crossing and visiting Vlaardingen 7 v 0 Dordrecht on the Sunday in tier 2.

25 x games (24/1 Summer) , 1 x double , 2 x 0-0's.(16x foreign)
That worked.

Old Photo - Manchester Ship Canal

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
Only a Wembley double for me on this date
2016/17 South Shields 4 Cleethorpes Town 0 (38,224) FA Vase Final

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
2016/17 York City 3 Macclesfield Town 2 (38,224) FA Trophy Final

* A big thank you to Chris Ashbridge and Steve Crawley for additional information yesterday.

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
I can muster just five matches on this date over the years:

1982: Testimonial - Fulham 0 - 3 England - Att: 7,126
My third of 20 visits so far to Craven Cottage. This match was a testimonial for long-serving Fulham defender Les Strong, who made 372 appearances for the club. It was also an opportunity to see the England squad who were preparing for World Cup exploits in Spain. It was a strong England side that played on this Friday evening, including Peter Shilton and Ray Wilkins, who later both played for my own club Leyton Orient, as well as Paul Mariner, Bryan Robson, Trevor Brooking and Kevin Keegan. Mariner (2) and Robson got the goals.

1989: Fourth Division Playoff Semi-final - Orient 2 - 0 Scarborough - Att: 9,298
I had been dropped off outside my flat in Rotherhithe at around 2am after watching football at Lens the previous evening. This match kicked off at high noon and I remember being so scared that I would oversleep and not have time to cycle over to Leyton for this match that I barely went to bed at all. It was not a thriller, but the O's did a professional job and 2-0 felt like a decent advantage to take to Scarborough for the second leg in a few days time.

2005: Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein - Husumer SV 1 - 0 TSV Bargeteheide - Att: 261
Husum is an attractive North Sea coastal town with a pretty harbour and a few seaside type attractions, north of Hamburg on a slow train. I had toyed with going to nearby Busum so that I could add to my list of rudely-named football clubs visited, but there did not seem to be any fixtures there. This was not a great match although overall it was a nice day out. There are two (main) pitches at the Friesen-Stadion; an attractive one with a small stand, and a functional one with shallow terracing and a few benches. I was disappointed that this game was played on the latter, but subsequently found out that this was the norm for the Verbandsliga team, the main pitch being reserved for the (probably more important) youth teams.

2010: Essex Olympian League - Kelveden Hatch 2 - 1 Rayleigh Town - Att: 99
A glorious day and a pleasant walk to and from Kelveden Hatch from Brentwood via Weald Park and some country pubs. A nice, friendly home club too.

2016: Essex Olympian League - Harold Hill 1 - 2 Buckhurst Hill - Att: 26
Very much end of season stuff at the Henderson Sports & Social Club. It did not greatly excite the locals, with more people staying in the bar than venturing outside to watch the match. My head count was of the latter category.

Last edited:

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
These 2 games:
1989 – Leyton Orient 2 Scarborough 0 (Division 4 play-off semi-final, 1st Leg)
1991 – England 3 USSR 1 (Friendly) Wembley

Vic Parker

Junior Team Hopeful
Monday 21-May-84 at Dean Court-
AFC Bournemouth 2-1 Millwall –
Football League Associate Members Cup Area Final

Tuesday 21-May-91 at Dean Court-
Bournemouth Post Office 3-2 Gander-
Bournemouth FA Pickford Cup Final

Sunday 21-May-95 at Cuthbury-
Branksome Railway 3-1 Ferndown Town-
Bankes Charity Cup Sunday Senior Final
and Wimborne Town 10-0 Trinidad-
Bankes Charity Cup Saturday Senior Final

Monday 21-May-12 at St Marys Field -
Bridport Reserves 1-5 Westland Sports-
Dorset Premier League

Wednesday 21-May-14 at Canford Arena-
Bournemouth 10-0 Hamworthy United-
Dorset County Youth League Division 1

Saturday 21-May-16 at Davey Fort-
Lyme Regis 2-1 Exmouth Town Reserves-
Devon & Exeter League Division 2

Sunday 21-May-17 at National Stadium, Wembley-
Cleethorpes Town 0-4 South Shields-
FA Vase Final
and Macclesfield Town 2-3 York City-
FA Trophy Final

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Been focussing on big games recently, so let’s go for something different . . .

Saturday May 21st 1977 (12 Noon KO)
East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Final
Edinburgh University v Spartans, 3-0, Att 120
At Canal Field, Edinburgh

The East of Scotland Qualifying Cup has long been the “biggie” for clubs in the East of Scotland FA. This is more for winning the trophy in it’s own right than for the prize – qualifying for the City Cup. In 1977 it was Edinburgh Uni and Spartans who reached the Final and went on to play Meadowbank and Berwick respectively in the Semi Finals of the City Cup.

The two teams had close links. Spartans had been formed in the early 1950s as a team for Edinburgh Uni graduates. They shared the Canal Field playing fields with the University teams and for the first 20 years the majority of their team were graduates of Scotland’s premier academic institution.

Spartans began to progress in 1974. When Ferranti Thistle were inexplicably elected to the Scottish League, Spartans took over the tenancy of City Park. This allowed them to become SFA members and they began to widen their recruitment policy. By 1977 they were established as one of the top clubs in the East.

Canal Field was chosen as the venue for this Final. Both teams would be happy with that and other grounds were possibly unavailable due to being closed for the season. This playing field complex was situated directly adjacent to Meggetland, the current home of Tynecastle FC and Boroughmuir RFC. It had a large pavilion and numerous pitches, one of which would have been roped off for this event. I recall it was the pitch nearest to the north side of the pavilion that was used. Admission was 20p and very unusually came with a free programme / teamsheet.

Canal Field had hosted a few Scottish Cup ties for the Uni in the 1960s. The arrangements were similar to those at the Civil Service Grounds – pay at the entrance gates to the complex. In 1979 the University sold off Canal Field for housing and focussed all their recreation facilities at Peffermill. I suspect this was the last Cup Final played there - the footballers actually moved to Peffermill in 1977. The ground was “closed” in 1979 with a Friendly match against a Hibernian XI.

The 12 Noon KO is explained in the programme - the pitch was needed for cricket in the afternoon. Unfortunately a 1.45 finish made it impossible to get to any of the Junior games that afternoon by public transport.

I remember very little about the game. My notebook tells me it was 3-0 for the Uni. I al;so gave it 4 out of 5 for entertainment so it must have been reasonable. I didn’t note scorers or any other info apart from an estimated crowd. More recently I tried to find more details of the game but ran into a brick wall. The Evening News pink edition for that Saturday doesn’t report on it and neither did the Monday night edition. The Sunday papers don’t even carry the score. I suspect the full details are lost for good.

The team lists in the programme show some interesting names. For the Uni the likes of Mike Brough, Alan Kirkwood, Tommy Cuthbert and Stewart McKinnon were real stalwarts over the years. Colin Campbell would go on to a higher level, playing in the 1979 Scottish Cup Final for Hibernian against Rangers. Conrad Johnston of Spartans went to Meadowbank for a spell, and names like Danny Costello, Colin Hutchison and Stuart Dunnett are legends in the history of the club.

I wonder if anyone else on here managed to see a game at Canal Field before it was built over?

IMG_0600.JPG

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Dyrny Summer League is creeping in ever more by this time of year, but still plenty of others to reflect on

1994 North Wales Joinery Cymru Alliance Rhyl v Cefn Druids 4-0

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Brymbo v Penycae 1-2

This ground always seemed cold to me, whatever time of year. A railed pitch atop a terrace plateau with a section of cover. They usually issued.

1997 Talacre Beach Caravan Park Clwyd League Premier Division Cup Final (@ Prestatyn Town FC)

Rhyl Delta v Pilkingtons 1-0

1998 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Cefn Won 3-2

2000 Tetleys Bitter Super League V Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers Lost 26-37

2001 Bolton & District Charity Cup Final (@ Bolton Wanderers FC – Reebok Stadium as it was then called)

Blackrod Town v Atherton Town 1-2

2002 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division One League Cup Final (@ Mold Alexandra FC)

Airbus UK Reserves v Mynydd Isa 3-0

2005 Wearside League South Shields Harton & Westoe v Windscale 0-2

A railed pitch with a stand. This was a bright sunny day but the game did have an end of season feel about it. No programme on the day as I recall but I had an old one, or if not acquired one at some point. They dropped out of this level for a while but returned later. Worth the visit on a hot and sunny Saturday. Not sure if they have since folded again?

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Caerwys v Henllan Lost 4-0

2009 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Llanrhaeadr Lost 2-3

2011 MacWhirter Welsh League Division Two Newport YMCA v Aberbargoed Buds (T258) 0-2

An enclosed ground tucked away behind the modern YMCA. It was a bit overgrown in places and the stand was a bit worse for wear and run down but the place still had its charm. I seem to remember my son, then eight found a plastic yellow baton in the undergrowth that ended up back at home and may well still be around somewhere. They did issue. I returned here for Pill YMCA on the hop some years later (Aug 2018) where very little had changed.

1590046111152.png

2012 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Caerwys Won 10-1

No doubt a decent pint in the Llindir Inn was enjoyed that evening. Lovely thatched pub in the village that is the home of Heavy Industry brewing, but as of last year is now only available in the pub as the brewery has closed down for other sales. Great ales though. So much better than its days as a Robinsons tied house, which it was for many years

2015 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Trefnant v Llanrhaeadr 1-4

Possibly Trefie’s last season in the Summer League. Certainly one of them. Same ground as the Saturday side Trefnant Village who have also come and gone then returned again over the years. An enclosed pitch that was turned ninety degrees some years ago as the ground had sunk in the centre of the field. The slope now runs end to end. The ground is still there. They have only ever issued once. Thanks to Len S for that offering.

2016 Nathaniel Car Sales Welsh League Division Two West End v Caldicot Town 1-5

Tucked away on a Swansea housing estate hilltop this was one of the longer Welsh League day trips for me but it seemed the ideal opportunity to tick another off in this league before it got swallowed up amidst the restructuring that was and maybe still is planned.. Fully enclosed and railed with cover down the side this was a bit careworn but again had its charms. The locals offered a friendly welcome too. They reissued the programme from the original game, free of charge. More than happy with that. A good cup of tea was very welcome.

2019 Warrington & District League Premier Division Avon Villa v Parklands 0-2

I could not remember this for Avon Villa as a stand-alone ground but I did see a game at Ford Sports ground around this time so concluded this was that game. I think it must be. Old age is catching up. Fords is a great ground for the level with a covered stand all down one side and railed off. They were NW Counties League in the early years and have since played in Liverpool County and West Cheshire League. There were a number of well known hoppers at this one including Dave G, Jerry L among others

Pretty sure I went to the Ferry Tavern near Great Sankey for a post match pint. Great location between the canal and the River Mersey with some decent ale options.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
From the ridiculous to the sublime. (40 years apart)

FA Cup Final.
Man United 2 Liverpool 1.
Adm. £6.
Prog. 50p.
Att. 99,252.

SF Berlin 0 Stern Kaulsdorf 2 (KR A1)
Empor Hohenschonhausen 3 SV Bau Union 4 (KR B2)
Turkspor FK 1 Stern Marienfeld 6 (LL 1)

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
I'm wondering how Hoddy and KK managed to get tickets for the 1977 FA Cup Final, given that they don't support either Liverpool or Manchester United?

Also, KK did well to find out the exact crowd, as it was always given as 100,000 in the newspapers in those days.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
A truncated days cricket at Derby due to bad light.
Benson and Hedges Cup (55 overs)
Leicester had reached 111 for 4 off 32 overs (Gower 61 n.o. Hendrick 1 for 4 off 6 overs) when the skies darkened.

And just the 3 footy matches:

Baildon Trinity Athletic v Robin Hood Athletic 2-0
West Yorks D1

Hatherleigh Tn v Newtown 1-1
Devon & Exeter Prem.

Shamwickshire Rvrs II v Stratton Utd 8-1
N.Devon Snr.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I'm wondering how Hoddy and KK managed to get tickets for the 1977 FA Cup Final, given that they don't support either Liverpool or Manchester United?

Also, KK did well to find out the exact crowd, as it was always given as 100,000 in the newspapers in those days.
A mate at the time who's dad owned a newsagent in Leicester managed to get a couple and I always wondered in later years how he managed it. There were thousands of ticketless Liverpool fans outside on the day... I got the attendance on Wiki and was surprised as it usually shows 100K for such games.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
GoytreCaerau21/05/113-3Welsh League 3
Cleethorpes TownSouth Shields21/05/170-4FA Vase Final
Macclesfield TownYork City21/05/172-3FA Trophy Final

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 21 May 1994
Pegasus Juniors 3-0 Hallen

Hellenic League Div 1
Attendance: 80
Prog 28 pages

Played at the Essex Arms Sports Ground on Widemarsh Street, Pegasus’ old ground was just a couple of minutes walk from Edgar Street, in the opposite direction to the current homes of Westfields and Lads Club. It wasn’t a very attractive ground as it was surrounded by industrial units but was fully railed with dugouts, plus changing rooms and a car park behind the near goal. There may have been cricket played there previously as one side of the ground opened up into a larger grassed area.

Pegasus had been relegated the previous season but ended runners-up to make a swift return to the premier. However, this entailed moving to a rather poor, but crucially floodlit, ground inside the track at Hereford Racecourse. Despite a decent showing that season, they chose to return to Essex Arms 12 months later and take a voluntary relegation. I think they went back to the Racecourse a few years later in order to secure another promotion, before moving to their current ground.

I was working with the Pegasus manager around this time so several names in the prog look familiar, including Chris Hyde a prolific striker easily identifiable by his blonde, permed hair. He’d hit 20 goals by early December but then moved to Cinderford Town. He later had a couple of spells as Pegasus manager and his son Cory also played for them.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Being well in with many ''grassroot'' clubs and personal friends with some County FA members goes a long way.

Obviously being good at blarney / and having the correct credentials also help.

No problems abroad either at some of the World's biggest games. Only failed to get in once and that was a revisit for me to Seville with Spanner. Tickets were available for about 75 Euros about 20 years ago , Spanner paid reluctantly while I chose to watch it on TV from across the road in a bar. When the bar emptied at half time I asked what was going on and the proprietor told me they were going in to the second half as security was lax with people going in and out.

Only time I've been unable to get in a match , the press allocation was full. Been told that before but always got in when turning up apart from this time.
Sedan was a problem eh Reg , too many people jumping on the band wagon , I watched that from behind the goal with some photographers. It was amazing how many people jumped on that bandwagon inc some on here that originally frowned upon it , hypocrits.

You'd have counted that Seville game Chris , oh wait a minute its the first 45 you have to see to count a game.

Re the Wembley attendance figures , an exact figure was usually given after a few days after the stubs had been counted.

Obviously the £10 / £20 notes folded to look like stubs only found their way into gatekeepers pockets , once inside it was bedlam and never any problem getting into whatever section you wanted. Remember not much seating about in them days so just overcrowded sections especially just behind goals.
I generally headed upstairs behind goals.

Yes I generally knew in advance which turnstile to use.

Showing tickets to the stewards at the bottom of the steps to get to the turnstile don't make laugh.

Last edited:

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
Hoddy had the same total..........surreal.

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
Being well in with many ''grassroot'' clubs and personal friends with some County FA members goes a long way.
In late 80's early 90's being Secretary of a Saturday side used to get 2 tickets every season........raffled them off for club funds.

Last edited:

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
2005 FA Cup Final Arsenal v Manchester United 21 May 2005
After extra time
Arsenal won 5–4 on penalties
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. att. 71,876

Never mind where I got tickets or att. from, this game was a treat for my son who was 12 at the time and an Arsenal fan.
Spent w/e in Wales and lads favourite memory is the pony trekking he did in the mountains on the Sunday.
Great times...............

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks