May 22nd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Its Arthur Conan Doyle's Birthday. He was born in 1859 (died 1930)

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce we want your match reports here

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
And the starter from 1982 is the QPR - Spurs FA Cup Final.
One of my brothers supports QPR, and he got me tickets for this one and the replay.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Ruddington United (5) 13 Newark Flowserve (0) 0
Nottinghamshire Football Alliance Senior Division
Saturday 22nd May, 2004
At Elms Park, K.O.: 11AM

Slim pickings today, possibly affected by the fact that this is my daughter's birthday, so lets settle for a game that is still fourth in my 'highest ever score' list.
Many of the hopping glitterati attended this F.A. Cup Final morning game and in fact my programme is a copy kindly run off for me by Warwickian. Thanks again John! The game was actually played on the second pitch at Elms Park which would have been either very welcome or annoying depending on your own personal rules. I did fulfil my own rules by returning in 2004-05 for a game on the main pitch.
This was 7th v 5th in the final table but presumably Flowserve must have pitched up with a much weakened side. I think they also lost something like 1-8 in a subsequent mid-week game to end up with a negative goal difference in 5th place.
I was puzzled by the absence of any football or cricket later in the day in my records then realised precisely where I was:
Daughter's 27th birthday get together
At Ex's residence, K.O.: Obviously too early for a second game
Lots of cards but no programme, Att.: 8 (h/c)

Ruddington 001.JPG

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Including football and cricket, May 22 is one of only 3 blank dates in my listings, the other two being Dec 24 and Dec 25.

I note May 22 is a Saturday in 2021 so who knows?

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
2010/11 Spurs 2 Birmingham City 1 (36,119) Prem Lge
2015/16 Hereford FC 1 Morpeth Town 4 (46,781) FA Vase Final
FC Halifax 1 Grimsby Town 0 (46,781) FA Trophy Final

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Just the three matches for me on this date it seems:

2005: A Sunday double-header in Hamburg:

Oberliga Hamburg - SC Condor Hamburg 0 - 4 SV Lurup - Att: c.140
Condor regularly play first team matches on a Sunday morning (at least they did when I used to go to Hamburg quite often - I'm not sure if they still do). The Sportplatz Oldenfelde is not the most appealing of venues as the pitch is within a running track and there is little opportunity to find a raised spectator position. But today we were presented with no alternatives, so Condor was ticked. A convincing win for cross-city rivals Lurup.

Regionaliga Nord - HSV Barmbeck-Uhlenhorst 1 - 3 BSV Kickers Emden - Att: 665
In contrast to Condor, I was always happy to visit the Wilhelm-Rupprecht-Platz home of Barmbeck-Uhlenhorst, and this was my second of three matches here. They have a good band of supporters that well-fit the rather gritty Hamburg stereotype. Definitely stand by the beer kiosk types rather than executive box holders. The stadium was a bit of a mess by this point, the most prominent feature being rows of uncovered seats that nobody ever sat in. B-U have now built a new stadium nearby which I have yet to visit and the ground I remember is demolished.

2011: Cherry Red Records Cup Final - Letchworth Garden City Eagles 4 - 2 Aston Clinton - Att: c.200
The Hertfordshire FA ground in Letchworth was a big gap on my groundhopping CV that I had never quite got around to visiting. At last, this cup final was a chance to put that right. Letchworth is an interesting place to visit, in contrast to other new towns, and the football ground is actually a little gem. Very well maintained by the Herts FA. This was an enjoyable final, won by a club whose own ground is just walking distance away. The only blot on the afternoon was the behaviour of some of the away supporters who came close to letting down their club through excess alcohol consumption.

barnetbee

Junior Team Hopeful
Just this game for me:
1990 – England 1 Uruguay 2 (Friendly) Wembley

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Its Arthur Conan Doyle's Birthday. He was born in 1859 (died 1930)

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce we want your match reports here
Doyle, who lived in Portsmouth between 1882 and 1890, played in goal for the amateur Portsmouth Football Club (not the present day version, which wasn't formed until 1898). Apparently, he used the name A.C. Smith. Did the amateur PFC issue? Doyle was also a useful cricketer - talented enough to play at Lord's, with and against the likes of W.G. Grace.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Tuesday 22nd May 2001
Southampton 1 Woggy’s Wanderers 3 (HT 0-2)
Jason Dodd Testimonial @ The Dell (7.45)
Attendance 10,583
Dodd’s testimonial brochure (£3, 60pp) doubled as the programme

I left it late to tick The Dell, primarily because of the difficulty (real or imagined) of getting tickets once the ground became all-seater. This was the penultimate game. Testimonial matches are occasions I usually steer well away from but, with talk of a sell-out for the ground’s final fixture, another non-competitive jolly, against Brighton & Hove Albion, it was a case of needs must.

Glad I made the effort. I found it a very interesting set-up, shoehorned into an unpromising site between Archers Road and Milton Road. For Southampton, trying to squeeze every benefit from a seriously constrained location, necessity had only too clearly been the mother of invention. I opted for a west stand (upper) vantage point.

Rather chaotic on the pitch. Woggy's Wanderers, an all-star selection managed by Saints kitman Nigel 'Woggy' Taylor, began with 10 and finished with 12 after Dave Beasant sneaked back on undetected. More than 50 players turned out to salute Jason Dodd, who played 412 times for Saints. Old stagers appearing included Kevin Bond, Jimmy Case, Glenn Cockerill, Mark Dennis, Kevin Moore and Russell Osman. Contemporary players included Nicky Banger, Steve Davis, Jeff Kenna, Tommy Widdrington, Alan Neilson and Richard Dryden.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe played the last quarter. He acquitted himself surprisingly well. Showbiz attendees included Dean Gaffney and Michael Greco, both (apparently) from Eastenders, along with jack-of-all-trades ‘entertainer’ Shane Richie and Blue Peter presenter John Leslie.

Scorers were, for Woggy's Wanderers, Davis (15), Banger (24, from 40 yards) and Gaffney (88), with Osman (47) replying. Gaffney's goal followed a break upfield after a spot-kick from chairman Lowe had struck a post. Dodd was replaced in stoppage time to enable him to receive a standing ovation, a lovely to way to round off a fun evening.

Dodd, who reportedly banked about £100,000, told the Daily Echo: “I don’t mind losing - but not to Woggy. He will never, ever let me hear the end of it. He is going to be unbearable.”

Explaining his penalty miss, Lowe said: “I felt confident and composed but my stud just caught in the turf as I hit the ball. I got a fair amount of stick in the dressing room afterwards!”

Demolition of The Dell was complete less than two months after Dodd’s testimonial match. A housing development stands where the ground used to be. The names of the apartment blocks acknowledge Saints’ former presence: Bates Court, Channon Court, Le Tissier Court, Stokes Court and Wallace Court.

A short way along Archers Road, turn left up Banister Road, and you’ll find another group of houses, Charles Knott Gardens. Between 1928 and 1963, this area was occupied by the 20,000-capacity Banister Court Stadium, home to Southampton Saints speedway team, along with dog and stock car racing. For a time, Hampshire County Cricket Club’s County Ground was adjacent. The attached image shows the proximity of the three stadia. Knott sold Banister Court Stadium to the Rank Organisation. He moved the dog racing element of his operation to Wimborne Road, an extant Poole venue Knott improved greatly by adding a grandstand and terracing.

Other football:

Huntington Rovers 6 Thorpe United 1 @ Tockwith Sports Field (2018, York League Senior Cup, Final). Only Huntington supporters can have enjoyed this one-sided bore. Outcome beyond doubt by the 25th minute, during which Premier Division Rovers scored twice against First Division opposition. With a stiff breeze blowing across the featureless plain west of York, it was bloody cold, too. About 120 watching.

Girvan 3 Maryhill 0 (2017, SJFA West Region, Division One). Holidaying nearby so worth popping in on a midweek evening of brilliant sunshine and torrential showers. Girvan’s intermittently pretty harbour and wonderful Art Deco railway station linger in the memory rather more strongly than this mundane clash of championship chaser and relegation battler. Comfortable, in the end, for Girvan, who went on the following weekend to clinch back-to-back titles. The crowd was about 140. Hamilton Park, dominated by high hills rising steeply immediately inland, is a reasonably interesting ground. It has one stand, with bench seats, set back from the pitch.

Newton Aycliffe 0 Teesside Athletic 1 (2009, Sunderland Shipowners Charity Cup, Final). Teesside deservedly beat the Wearside League champions in a tense if largely thrill-free final. The Redcar team, who had finished fourth, got an important early goal then never looked back. With 10 minutes on the clock, Roy Hunter cracked in a low, 20-yard free kick. The attendance - 587 - was easily a record for a ground, in an unexpectedly attractive setting, at which facilities were being improved at a rate of knots. Newton Aycliffe stepped up to the Northern League for the 2009-10 season. Teesside (now Redcar) Athletic weren’t long in following them.

Other sports:

Cricket at Foss Evening League Heworth Colts (2019), Bradford League Great Preston (2016) and Bradford League Undercliffe (2015). Undercliffe was an eye-opener. Their clubhouse is so well used by the community, virtually every day of the year, Undercliffe can afford to pay all their players, rather than a single professional. Impressive set-up, which is often selected to stage Bradford League showpieces. Decent game, too. Undercliffe beat First Division rivals East Bierley by 19 runs.

Scunthorpe Select 45 Halifax Select 45 (2005, speedway, Challenge). Having cut my speedway spectating teeth at The Shay, Halifax, I fancied watching this, for old time’s sake. Not a ‘proper’ Halifax team, of course, but one put together using riders on the books of other clubs. All had some connection with the defunct Halifax/Bradford Dukes outfit. Highlight of the meeting was Wayne Carter’s heat six defeat of home No 1 Andre Compton, who was the joint-top scorer, on 13 points, with Garry Stead. No more than four points separated the teams at any stage. It was 42-42 going into the last heat. This was the ninth meeting of the first season at Normanby Road, acknowledged to be one of the most exciting racetracks in Britain.

Liverpool Buccaneers 28 Lancaster 18 (2004, rugby league, RL Conference, North West Division). Buccs played at Sefton RUFC’s unremarkable Leyfield Road ground, in Liverpool’s West Derby district. Two tries in the last 12 minutes of normal time clinched a home victory over Giant Axe-based Lancaster in a tight game watched by 50 spectators. Buccs trailed throughout the first half but a couple of tries early in the second put them in command. Sadly, both clubs have since disappeared from the rugby league scene.

Glasgow Tigers 33 Canterbury Crusaders 44 @ Derwent Park, Workington (1987, speedway, National League). An early instalment in Glasgow’s disastrous part-season in exile. Crusaders won at a canter (as it were). The visitors led by 14 after six heats. At least Tigers showed a bit of spirit in the second half of the match. On a poorly prepared track, there were several falls. Only Canterbury’s Steve Whittaker (shoulder) was hurt badly enough to prevent further participation. Canterbrury heat leaders Dave Mullett and Paul Evitts recorded four-ride maximums. Maryport-based Steve Lawson (12), an improved Bobby Beaton (7) and Gordon Whittaker (5) were the pick of a typically (for 1987) lacklustre Tigers team. Over the years, on and off the track, Beaton family members have been absolute stalwarts of the Glasgow club.

Attachments

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday May 22nd 1982
Scottish Cup Final
Aberdeen v Rangers, 4-1 AET, F.T. 1-1, Att 53,788
At Hampden Park

Cup Finals are often dour battles but this was quite the exception. The 90 minutes were an end-to-end game of speed, skill and adventurous football. Extra time was an absolute procession as Rangers capitulated in the grand manner. In the end they were lucky to get away with a 4-1 defeat. All in all it was a rather good day.

Celtic had won the Scottish league by a three point margin from Aberdeen with Rangers a further ten points behind. The Ibrox side had won the League Cup, beating Dundee United in the final. So the Scottish Cup represented Aberdeen’s only chance of a trophy. Victory would also see them switch from the UEFA Cup to the Cup Winners Cup for 1982/3 – something that would prove very significant in the end.

In line with the theme in the opening post for this thread I’m fairly sure that I began the day in the Conan Doyle, the Edinburgh pub on the site of the author’s home in Edinburgh. It’s still there now – one of those Nicolson chain pubs these days. From there it’s a five minute walk to the back entrance to Waverley Station. I met up with some friends who were also supporting the Dons that day and we got the train to Queen Street and then to King’s Park. British Rail ran separate shuttle trains to Mount Florida for Rangers fans and to King’s Park for Aberdeen fans.

It was a sunny day as we took our places in the Celtic End which was occupied by the travelling Aberdeen support. The ground was not full – Aberdeen had around 15,000 fans with the rest supporting the blue Empire of Evil. We watched the following teams line-up:

Dons: Jim Leighton, Stuart Kennedy, Doug Rougvie, John McMaster (Sub Dougie Bell), Alex McLeish, Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Neale Cooper, Mark McGhee, Neil Simpson and John Hewitt (Sub Eric Black)
Rangers: Jim Stewart, Sandy Jardine (Sub Colin McAdam), Ally Dawson, John McClelland, Colin Jackson, Jim Bett, Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, Gordon Dalziel (Sub Tommy McLean), Alex Miller, John MacDonald.
Ref: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)

The Dons team was very familiar – the only surprise being the inclusion of young Neale Cooper. Rangers had Alex Miller in the team for some reason. The presence of Jim Stewart in goals was also quite reassuring for Aberdeen fans – his lack of competence being surpassed only by that of his son who was a jobbing goalkeeper around the lower leagues in recent times.

I’ve appended the highlights of the game to this post and they are well worth a watch. John MacDonald, nicknamed Das Boot by some, scored a diving header to open for Rangers. Big Eck McLeish showed remarkable composure to gather the ball 30 yards out, turn and curl a brilliant shot into the top corner.

By the time the 90 minutes were nearing a conclusion Rangers were out on their feet. Aberdeen were dominating and the only team likely to score. Rangers perhaps wish they had con ceded then and lost 2-1 rather than going to extra time.

Martk McGhee headed the goal that put the Dons in front with Stewart looking a bit suspect on his post. The third goal was a thing of hilarity. We’ve all use the expression that somebody went down as if they had been shot by a sniper. Never has it been more appropriate than for Alex Miller who mistimed a challenge then dropped to the floor allowing the ball to be crossed. Gordon Strachan was unmarked to score from a few yards. His somersault in celebration was superb. The fourth goal saw Stewart charge from his goal to intercept a through ball. He booted it against the inrushing Cooper and it rebounded towards the net. Cooper had time to give the Rangers fans behind the goal a GIRFUY as he lashed the ball into the goal. It was early evidence of the character he would turn out to be.

So 4-1, coming on 10-1, and a great days for Scottish football. Four Rangers players never appeared again for the club after this – it was a case of being too loyal to certain players for too long when their legs had gone.

After the game we walked back into the city centre via Aitkenhead Road and the Gorbals. Sammy Dow’s would have been the venue for some post-match pints. It was never a Rangers shop unlike the next door Vale of Leven.

ETA - Just noticed that the date on the programme was wrong. The game was the 22nd, not the 21st. Only took me the 38 years to notice that.

Rangers-v-Aberdeen-Scottish-Cup-Final-Programme-May.jpg
conan.jpg

Last edited:

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
and on the subject of Scotland, it's the anniversary of Quintinhshill today :(

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Thursday 2003.
Launch Trophy @ 20-30.
@ Amalgamated Banks of South Africa Stadium , Isiah Nishangase Rd , Durban.
Bafana Bafana 1 v 2 England.
52,000 / 48,000 (?)

2003 Bafana Bafana, South Africa v England official programme 22/05/2003

Bafana Bafana - Brian Baloyi , Mbuleloo Mabizela , Thabangg Molefe , Lucas Radebe , Aaron T Mokoena , Macbeth-Mao Sibaya , Teboho Mokoena , Benni McCarthy (1 Pen) , Shaun Bartlett , Stanton Fredericks , Delron Buckley.
Subs - Lesley Manyathela for McCarthy , Jebulani Mandu for T. Mokoena , Clement Mazibuku for Fredericks.
Manager - Matsilela Ephraim Sono. (Brought back for this one game after Ephraim Mashaba was dismissed for picking a weak side for this fixture. Sono changed the original squad and brought in the big boys).

England - David James , Danny Mills , Phil Neville , Steven Gerrard , Rio Ferdinand , Gareth Southgate (1) , David Beckham , Paul Scholes , Emile Heskey (1) , Michael Owen , Trevor Sinclair.
Subs -Paul Robinson for James , Matt Upson for Ferdinand , Jermaine Jenas for Beckham , Frank Lampard for Sinclair , Darius Vassell for Heskey , Joe Cole for Scholes , Gareth Barry for Gerrard.
Manager - Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Referee - An Yan Lim Kee Chong (Mauritius).
Suspended by FIFA after the 1998 World Cup Finals , didn't do him any harm , he went on to referee many big games and work for FIFA and the SAFA.

The game itself was to promote South Africas bid for the 2010 W Cup Finals , it obviously worked , they must have promised to jail the muggers and move / destroy all the shanty towns near the beach tourist spots.
2 of my group of 12 were mugged.
On visiting the beach front bars police were everywhere telling us only to cross to the beach by the patrolled walkways. The pavement on beach side was a shanty town for as far as you could see. Assume these were all destroyed for any future visits by FIFA.
Some of the livelier bars were actually on the beach.

The game which England treated as a warm up for the upcoming Euro Qualifier v Slovakia with only one of the 18 man squad not getting a run out , poor old Ian Walker , could have took Robinson off for last 10.

South Africa meant business but England struck after only 36 seconds when future manager Southgate scored his second and last goal for the full England side with a glancing header.
South Africa pressed and caused many problems especially down the wing with Fredericks causing havoc.
The pressure told and a left wing cross by Buckley was handballed by Mills resulting in McCarthy scoring from the penalty spot on 18 minutes.
South Africa were the better side in the first half but England hung on and went in 1-1 at half time.
The second half with all the substitutes was a tame affair with England winning the game with a strike by Heskey after a Lampard shot was parried by the keeper. Lampard on the night was outstanding in his 45 minutes as was Fredericks of Bafana Bafana in the 75 mins he was on the pitch.
England certainly had the better of the second half and were worth their narrow win.

Post game myself and an Alex colleague got separated from our group and ended up gong out of the stadium in the wrong direction to where our coach was waiting, lets just say into a non too salubrious area , a suited South African gentleman took us to one side and kindly phoned a taxi for us and waited with us until it arrived. We were indebted to this gentleman as it was rough, Moss side on a bad day.

So a winner for everyone , England won in a good workout for the Slovakia game and South Africa for proving they could stage big games.
I would just like to say that I did not see any kruggerands change hands.

Did the touristy thing the previous day , the group had transport for the day and were doing the animal thing and Rorke's Drift , a 4 and a half hour drive from our hotel via some wonderful animal infested areas. Obviously the proper Drift and not the site of where the film was made.

I was amazed at some of the details , on film it looked liked thousands died but the final count was 17 killed on our side , The 24th Regiment of Foot.
The Zulu lost 351.
If you look at the monument it was a reason for the day of the match. The actual battle lasted into the next day as you will all know , you must have seen the film.

Mostly Battlefields – Kwazulu-Natal (Part 3) | Mostly Birding
33 x games , 1 x double , 1 x 0-0. ( 22 x foreign).
So easy.

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 North Wales Champions v South Wales Champions

Flint Town United v Abergavenny Thursdays 2-1

The final game of the 90/1 season for me at Flint’s old ground, now a small retail park and car park. It was enclosed and railed with a wooden stand down one side.

1995 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Rhydymwyn v Nefn United 7-1

1996 A double of different sports

PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Oswestry Town v Llandrindod Wells 1-2

Stones Bitter Super League I Warrington Wolves v London Broncos Won 28-24

1998 JJB Sports Super League III Hull Sharks v Warrington Wolves Won 28-32

(Score line suggests a good game)

2000 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Cefn Won 4-2

2001 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division

Gresford Athletic v Corwen Amateurs 4-1

2002 A & M Builders Shropshire County League Division One Brown Clee v Wrockwardine Wood United 0-3

Super spot tucked away beneath Brown Clee Hill in Shropshire. A fenced pitch to keep the livestock off rather than for spectators. They issued a programme. Revisited this for a Shropshire hop game a few years later. Found a decent pub not far away too.

Final game my of 2001/02 season as a more pressing event took centre stage that year. My son Tom was born.

2013 Stagecoach Scottish Juniors West Region Central Division One Dunipace v Port Glasgow (T337) 3-2

An enclosed ground tucked away down a side street in central Denny. It was railed and had a large covered standing area on the far side from the entrance. The club buildings had gone to a fire and everything now came out of portakabins. Only the shell of the former buildings remained. It was all a bit overgrown and run down in places. I loved it. It has since been turned into a 3G venue with all the peripheral structures now gone and replaced.

There was no programme, but I had an old one. This was just a few minutes from the cottage which was up the nearby lanes. It was our first year there and marked the first Saturday of a week away.

1590132322922.png

2015 Euroscot Engineering Central League Cup Third Round Wishaw v Blantyre Victoria (T362) 3-5

An enclosed ground with some small areas of cover. This was a relatively new ground for Wishaw. It may have started as a temporary base but became permanent it seems. It was not Plan A, which had been Vale of Clyde, but on arrival there no one was about. A quick call revealed the visitors could not raise a side, so VOC had a walk over for that particular cup. It was then a hasty dash to find an alternative, which we did with enough time to spare. There were a good number of hoppers present at Wishaw from north and south of the border.

2017 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Cefn Won 4-2

2019 McBookie.com Scottish Juniors West Region Championship Kilsyth Rangers v Girvan (T390) 2-3

Another Juniors gem. Fully enclosed and railed with cover down most of one side and a large open terrace on part of the others. A grass bank behind one goal. Great pies too and a very friendly welcome. No prog but I had an old one. 100% recommendation to visit this.
1590133077519.png
1590133185183.png

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
I missed these for some reason
Notts. Alliance Senior Division Ruddington United v Newark Flowserve 13-0
Played on the second pitch as already highlighted in an earlier post. Arguably the better one as this was full enclosed where as the main pitch is shared with cricket. A new record score for me back then. Also got a prog.
Then off to
Notts. Alliance Senior Division Awsworth Villa v Nottinghamshire Police 2-3
An enclosed ground that was I think railed off. Also got a prog here too.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I missed these for some reason
Notts. Alliance Senior Division Ruddington United v Newark Flowserve 13-0
Played on the second pitch as already highlighted in an earlier post. Arguably the better one as this was full enclosed where as the main pitch is shared with cricket. A new record score for me back then. Also got a prog.
Then off to
Notts. Alliance Senior Division Awsworth Villa v Nottinghamshire Police 2-3
An enclosed ground that was I think railed off. Also got a prog here too.

Also at both those but in 2004.
AV, had a h/c of 30 at the 13-0.

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1991 Groningen 2 NEC Nijmegen 1 att 12,855

When I lived in France for a year it was easy for me to cross over the border into Belgium but the Netherlands was somewhere I hadn’t been to a lot so I must have tried to rectify that at this time as I did a mini tour starting with a Moenchengladbach/Venlo double on the same day followed by games at Den Haag( drug crazed fans)and Vitesse Arnhem’s old ground before going to the north of the country for a midweek game at Groningen.
I remember arriving with a few hours to kill and came across a cinema showing an English language film, it was one of those big old one screen venues and just before the film started I looked round to see that I was the only person there, then the lights went out and it was pitch black, wouldn’t normally scare me but it felt a bit strange. Onto the game it makes me smile to see Groningen’s shiny new ground these days as the old Oosterpark stadium was virtually all open terraces and one stand, quite basic even for those days but the home side were going well and would eventually qualify for the UEFA Cup so an attendance of 13,000 wasn’t a surprise. Visitors NEC Nijmegen were struggling at the foot of the table and would eventually be relegated so it wasn’t a surprise when the home side took the lead on 40 minutes, more of a shock when NEC managed to level on the hour. With a cruel twist Groningen got the winner in injury time to send most of the crowd home happy with a 2-1 win. I continued on my Dutch journey with a couple more games before going home with a trip to PSV Eindhoven who were eventually to pip Ajax to the title being the highlight.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Thursday 2003.
Launch Trophy @ 20-30.
@ Amalgamated Banks of South Africa Stadium , East London , Durban.
Bafana Bafana 1 v 2 England.
52,000 / 48,000 (?)

2003 Bafana Bafana, South Africa v England official programme 22/05/2003

Bafana Bafana - Brian Baloyi , Mbuleloo Mabizela , Thabangg Molefe , Lucas Radebe , Aaron T Mokoena , Macbeth-Mao Sibaya , Teboho Mokoena , Benni McCarthy (1 Pen) , Shaun Bartlett , Stanton Fredericks , Delron Buckley.
Subs - Lesley Manyathela for McCarthy , Jebulani Mandu for T. Mokoena , Clement Mazibuku for Fredericks.
Manager - Matsilela Ephraim Sono. (Brought back for this one game after Ephraim Mashaba was dismissed for picking a weak side for this fixture. Sono changed the original squad and brought in the big boys).

England - David James , Danny Mills , Phil Neville , Steven Gerrard , Rio Ferdinand , Gareth Southgate (1) , David Beckham , Paul Scholes , Emile Heskey (1) , Michael Owen , Trevor Sinclair.
Subs -Paul Robinson for James , Matt Upson for Ferdinand , Jermaine Jenas for Beckham , Frank Lampard for Sinclair , Darius Vassell for Heskey , Joe Cole for Scholes , Gareth Barry for Gerrard.
Manager - Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Referee - An Yan Lim Kee Chong (Mauritius).
Suspended by FIFA after the 1998 World Cup Finals , didn't do him any harm , he went on to referee many big games and work for FIFA and the SAFA.

The game itself was to promote South Africas bid for the 2010 W Cup Finals , it obviously worked , they must have promised to jail the muggers and move / destroy all the shanty towns near the beach tourist spots.
2 of my group of 12 were mugged.
On visiting the beach front bars police were everywhere telling us only to cross to the beach by the patrolled walkways. The pavement on beach side was a shanty town for as far as you could see. Assume these were all destroyed for any future visits by FIFA.
Some of the livelier bars were actually on the beach.

The game which England treated as a warm up for the upcoming Euro Qualifier v Slovakia with only one of the 18 man squad not getting a run out , poor old Ian Walker , could have took Robinson off for last 10.

South Africa meant business but England struck after only 36 seconds when future manager Southgate scored his second and last goal for the full England side with a glancing header.
South Africa pressed and caused many problems especially down the wing with Fredericks causing havoc.
The pressure told and a left wing cross by Buckley was handballed by Mills resulting in McCarthy scoring from the penalty spot on 18 minutes.
South Africa were the better side in the first half but England hung on and went in 1-1 at half time.
The second half with all the substitutes was a tame affair with England winning the game with a strike by Heskey after a Lampard shot was parried by the keeper. Lampard on the night was outstanding in his 45 minutes as was Fredericks of Bafana Bafana in the 75 mins he was on the pitch.
England certainly had the better of the second half and were worth their narrow win.

Post game myself and an Alex colleague got separated from our group and ended up gong out of the stadium in the wrong direction to where our coach was waiting, lets just say into a non too salubrious area , a suited South African gentleman took us to one side and kindly phoned a taxi for us and waited with us until it arrived. We were indebted to this gentleman as it was rough, Moss side on a bad day.

So a winner for everyone , England won in a good workout for the Slovakia game and South Africa for proving they could stage big games.
I would just like to say that I did not see any kruggerands change hands.

Did the touristy thing the previous day , the group had transport for the day and were doing the animal thing and Rorke's Drift , a 3 and a half hour drive from our hotel via some wonderful animal infested areas. Obviously the proper Drift and not the site of where the film was made.

I was amazed at some of the details , on film it looked liked thousands died but the final count was 17 killed on our side , The 24th Regiment of Foot.
The Zulu lost 351.
If you look at the monument it was a reason for the day of the match. The actual battle lasted into the next day as you will all know , you must have seen the film.

Mostly Battlefields – Kwazulu-Natal (Part 3) | Mostly Birding
33 x games , 1 x double , 1 x 0-0. ( 22 x foreign).
So easy.
I saw the South Africa goalscorer Benni McCarthy play once. It was 4 years after that, at Ferguson Park, for Whitehill Welfare in a Friendly against Hamilton Accies Youth team. He lived in Edinburgh at the time.

Benni.jpg

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Just one game for me on this day.

Cheshire League Division Two
Orford 2-0 Grappenhall Sports

A very rare venture into Step 9 football for me. 9th v 7th at the start of play, but the home side dominated the game, and should really have won by a greater margin.

Orford play on a pitch in a public park, to the rear of the Orford Jubilee Hub Leisure Centre. The pitch is roped off along the two touchlines. Refreshments may be available inside the leisure centre but I didn’t look.

The goals came on 35 and 61 minutes. Both times Orford attacked down the right and, while Grappenhall appealed for offside, number 9 scored.

Difficult to give an accurate attendance figure, as numerous people stopped for a short while. I’d estimate that around a dozen stayed for the whole game

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
Abertillery BluebirdsGarw22/05/104-0Welsh League 3
Newport Civil ServicePontyclun22/05/101-0Welsh League 3
HerefordMorpeth Town22/05/161-4FA Vase
FC Halifax TownGrimsby Town22/05/161-0FA Trophy

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks