May 2nd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I like a story with a Leopold involved. In 1816, Leopold of Saxe-Coburg married Princess Charlotte of Wales, at the time, Charlotte was second in line to the throne of Great Britain, after George III (her grandfather) and George IV (father).

However, Charlotte died in childbirth, only 18 months later, so the throne of England would end up with a different granddaughter of George III, (Victoria)

Poor Leopold had to look for a job, but he did get offers. A little unusual for someone looking for the job of "King". He actually turned down the first offer, from Greece but then accepted the job of King of Belgium. Apparently, on the job application form, under nationality, the choices were French or not French. Being "not French", apparently was his main qualification for the job. Leopold was the first king of Belgium.

Even if you are not called Leopold or have not been to Belgium, you can post what you did on May 2 here

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Shameless plugs please. Where's a mod when you need one.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
"Not being French" is probably an advantage to this day :p

You beat me to it but I did have a thread starter for this day... I will post it anyway as it took me oh.. minutes to put together....

On this day in 1982 the Falklands War suddenly became serious when a British nuclear submaririne fired on and sank the Argentinians only 'cruiser' class ship the Belgrano. 368 sailors died.

It was contoversial because the ship was reportedly outside the British Governments exclusion zone and was already travelling in the other direction.

I had thought of adding more comments re Mrs Thatchers motives but I don't think I will go there :rolleyes:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 2nd May 1998
Doncaster Rovers 0 Colchester United 1 (HT 0-0)
Football League, Division Three (3.0)
Attendance 3,527
Programmes £1, official (28pp); £2, supporters club’s (40pp)
Raze the Roof fanzine, The Goodbye Edition, £1 (32pp)

A nostalgic return to Belle Vue as shambolic Doncaster, run into the ground by uncaring, unscrupulous owners, surrendered their Football League status with barely a whimper. At the time, with the club in disarray and the ground a wreck, it seemed impossible Rovers would be back. Look at them now!

I watched the wake from the truncated remnants of the popular side, which in 1998 was about a third of the height it had been in 1971, when I first attended Belle Vue. Got talking to a Wycombe Wanderers fan (can’t remember if he was ‘ticking’ the ground) and spent the game in his company.

The Doncaster players, a sorry collection of teenage flotsam and jetsam, might have given up but the fans had not. Some, dressed as pallbearers, staged a mock funeral at the ground. A trumpeter played The Last Post. To mark what seemed certain to be the last Football League match ever played in Doncaster, fans put together a proper souvenir programme. The official Rovers programmes were abysmal during the closing months of a dreadful season.

The angrier element of Doncaster’s support invaded the pitch twice during a game played amid a toxic atmosphere. The first incursion, in the 11th minute, held up play 15 minutes; the second, in the 57th minute, led to a six-minute delay. No violent intent to either. Merely a venting of understandable frustration, directed at loathed owner Ken Richardson and general manager Mark Weaver. Pitch invasions had become commonplace at Belle Vue during the 1997-98 season.

Bernard Jordan, who edited the official programme, used the bulk of his Opening Shots column to ponder where it had all gone “so horribly wrong”. He concluded: “One good thing to come out of all the adversity is the special feeling of comradeship and friendliness which has driven you fans, who have been through so much, closer together. Hopefully, we will see you all in August, re-charged and ready to cheer on those players who wear the Rovers shirts in the hope that it will be with pride and that good days will soon return.”

In the unofficial programme put together by fans, Ken Avis, honorary secretary of the supporters club, wrote: “The blame for this situation must rest squarely on the shoulders of the present owners of the club, who by their actions, particularly during this season, have given the impression that they are not interested in the future of the club or its fans. What of the future? I feel that unless there is a change in the ownership of the club things look very bleak indeed. But, being the eternal optimist that I am, I feel that surely things cannot get any worse. I sincerely hope that I am right!”

Looking ahead, Raze the Roof fanzine editor Kev Rogan wrote in an opening article headlined Obituary: “The takeover debacle has continued apace, alas with no positive outcome. I do not believe [Ken] Richardson will ever sell to the Anton Johnson Consortium, and the mystery shrouded Irish group seem to have gone back into hiding. I have heard recently of yet another interested party, which sounds too good to be true. This one is a Donny businessman who has made a success of everything he has been involved in. Short of one of the faithful winning a rollover jackpot I think we will forever be in the hands of the property developers and chancers who care little about football or the town.”

With Rovers’ relegation confirmed three weeks earlier, ending a 75-year Football League career, and play-off hopefuls Colchester rarely having to get out of second gear, it wasn’t much of a game. Doncaster (who couldn’t even attract a kit sponsor) were condemned to a 34th defeat of a truly miserable season by an unremarkable Neil Gregory goal in the 56th minute. U’s went up, via the play-offs, alongside champions Notts County, Macclesfield Town and Lincoln City.

Astonishingly, under new owners, a re-energised Rovers returned to the Football League in 2003. Three years later, the club moved into the 15,000 capacity Keepmoat Stadium. What little remained of Belle Vue lay derelict for a number of years before houses were built on the site.

Other football worth a mention:

Stone Dominoes 6 AFC Blackpool 1 (2009, North West Counties League, Division One). This slaughter enabled in-form Doms, 13 wins in 14 games, to keep alive hopes of securing second place. Goalkeeper Jamie Cook, who made a number of superb saves, stood between the outclassed visitors and a fearful drubbing. James Curley bagged a treble. Facilities at Motiva Park above average for this league. Official attendance was 61. My generous head count came to 43.

Hinckley United 0 Workington 0 (2007, Conference North, Play-Off Semi-Final, First Leg). Tense, physical, competitive - and goalless. On a sultry evening, the players struggled to come to terms with a hard, bumpy pitch. In the second half Reds striker Craig Johnston twice went close to breaking the deadlock. His later effort rattled the outside of Sean Bowles’s left-hand upright. 1,092 at Martson’s Stadium. Knitters won the Borough Park second leg 2-1 but lost 3-4 to Farsley Celtic in the final.

Bradford (Park Avenue) 3 Chadderton 1 (1995, North West Counties League, Division One). Re-formed Avenue were playing at Mount Pleasant, the Batley rugby league ground. Several teams using one pitch took its toll. This game, goalless at half-time, was contested on a dust bowl. In front of 162, Avenue led 2-0 but were pegged back to 2-1 before a Darron Morris goal (76) clinched victory.

Other sports:

Gateshead Storm 16 Thornhill Trojans 66 (2015, rugby league, National Conference League Challenge Trophy, Round One). Slightly irritated to arrive at loftily located Winlaton Vulcans RUFC to discover this tie had been switched to the second pitch. The main pitch was being reseeded. Trojans inflicted on Storm a fifth consecutive crushing defeat. The hosts collapsed after closing to within eight points - 12-20 - three minutes into the second half. Thornhill scored three tries in six minutes then added five more during the last 16. Try count ended 3-12. I’ve not - yet - got around to watching Storm on the railed pitch, which commands the better views down the Tyne and over Newcastle.

Castleford Panthers 16 New Earswick All Blacks 15 (2001, rugby league, National Conference League, Division Two). I think I’m right in saying Panthers, one of Castleford’s smaller amateur clubs, have had two stabs at the NCL. This visit was during their first. All Blacks full-back Dave Carling left the Three Land End pitch in tears after kicking narrowly wide a last-gasp 50m penalty. Defeat left New Earswick in peril of a re-election application. All Blacks led this evening fixture 12-0 after 33 minutes but fell behind two minutes from the end of normal time when Shaun Wales landed a 40m penalty. Earlier, wing Wales had kicked two touchline conversions, one from the right, the other from the left.

Castleford 12 Wigan 28 @ Wembley Stadium (1992, rugby league, Challenge Cup, Final). The last Challenge Cup Final I attended. Like many, I’d become bored witless of Wigan’s domination of the competition. By 1992, the crowd had slipped to 77,286. All over at half-time, when Wigan led 19-0. Cas ‘won’ the second half 12-9. Prime Minister John Major presented the cup. Memorably, he later described the freakishly quick Martin Offiah as “faster than a camera shutter”. The Wigan wing scored two tries and won the Lance Todd Trophy as the media’s Man of the Match choice.

Halifax 19 St Helens 18 @ Wembley Stadium (1987, rugby league, Challenge Cup, Final). Halifax were never behind but found themselves unable to shrug off a dogged St Helens. John Pendlebury's remarkable try-saving challenge on Kiwi centre Mark Elia in the corner effectively won the Challenge Cup for the Yorkshire team. Loose forward Pendlebury also landed what proved a vital 64th-minute drop goal. Crowd at the ‘old’ Wembley (a complete dump with appalling spectator sight lines) was 91,267. Watched this, with a mate from university days, a Castleford fan, behind the sticks with 30,000 others supporting Halifax. We should’ve taken binoculars!

Attachments

Last edited:

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
1991 - Ashton United 0 Colwyn Bay 1 - North West Counties League Floodlight Trophy Final
My 1st of 3 visits to Crilly Park, Atherton LR

This was Foodlight Final, and my first vist to Crilly Park. It was also the final game of my 1st season watching Ashton United. My only memory of the game was standing behind the goal that Ashton were attacking and the crowd giving the Colwyn Bay some light hearted stick. He had the last laugh at the final whistle though as Colwyn Bay won it, and did a celebratory fist punch type salute to the Ashton fans. Also Floodlight Trophy or Floodlit trophy? The programme for this called it Floodlight

1992 - Manchester United 3 Tottenham Hotspur 1 - Divison 1
My 4th of 115 visits to Old Trafford - Attendance 44595

This was supposed to be the celebration game with United having won their 1st title in 25 years, but following 3 straight defeats, Leeds had won it instead. However it was a pleasant game as United scored 3 goals - Mark Hughes 2 and Brian McClair - the classic pair at the time... but probably most notable about the game was Gary Lineker. It was Gary Lineker's last goal for Spurs and when he scored, the whole stadium applauded. These days it might have been ruled out for what seemed like a push on Denis Irwin. I had gone there with a girl I knew who was a big Tottenham fan (from Sheffield) and she had promised to keep her Spurs comments quiet as we were sat in the seats in the United seats next to the Stretford End... but as I had been goading her about how Lineker was surely going to get his first ever yellow card in his last game... we both left the stadium happy with the result.

1996 - Greyhound Race Meeting
My 1st and only visit to Belle Vue Stadium

Then and now, I have close to zero interest in betting, and this was the only time I had been to an event that was less about the sport and more about the bets. However this was a free night out from work. The evening consisted of 13 races with the first race at 7.26 and the final one at 10.26. We were given a small amount of spending money free so I didn't actually bet any of my own. I even managed to go home with more than I started with. I suppose it was fairly enjoyable, but I doubt I'd go again - although there's no chance of going to Belle Vue again as it recently has been sold for housing.

2009 - Bury 1 Accrington Stanley 0 (HT 0-0) - League 2
My 21st and (probably) final visit to Gigg Lane - Attendance 7515

Final League 2 game of the season that was a big deal for Bury - with a big crowd in attendance - as they were going to try and get automatic promotion - Stanley hoping to deny them. All the drama was saved for the final moments as Bury needed to win and hope that Wycombe lost, with a 3 goal swing in the process. On 88 mins it was 0-0 at Gigg Lane and 1-1 at Wycombe. But bang on 90 mins Wycombe conceded a 2nd, just as Bury won a penalty... Substitute Phil Jevons took it and scored with Stanley's Andy Proctor getting a red card in the process. So with seconds left, Bury needed just 1 more goal to clinch automatic promotion, which they didn't get. So big drama turnaround but they didn't quite make it. They then lost to Shewsbury in the play-offs semi final on penalties.

2019 - Chadderton Cott 5 Stoconians 3rds 0 (HT 3-0) - Lancashire & Cheshire League Whitehead Cup Final
My 1st and only visit to Brookburn Road, West Didsbury & Chorlton - Attendance 150

West Didsbury & Chorlton was the venue for this lower division final due to being a former club of the league, before moving upwards. Chadderton Cott were going for the double, having won the Div A in their 1st season. This was my 1st visit to the ground that is situated in what appears to be a very posh area of Chorlton called Chorltonville, which is signposted as a Conservation Area. The ground is very smart and pleasant. Includes a cafe/bar with hot and cold food, and full club house with multiple tables etc. The game was always going to be dominated by Chadderton Cott, who's reserves had only lost 1-0 to Stoconians 3rds in the semi-final. Was 5-0 with 25 mins left but they toned down the pressure then and the scoreline remained respectable. was a very pleasant evening and even got a programme.

Kentish exile

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
1988 D1
West Ham 4-1 Chelsea Att 28000+ KO 11.30
I had just moved to London for work, so i was able to take in this game, and make it across to Park View Road for.................

Welling Utd 0-2 Barnet in whatever the Conference was called
Having lived in Welling until i was 10, this was a logical choice for a double. Barnet won easily enough, but were beaten to the title by Lincoln.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Eleven matches for me on 2nd May...

Monday 2nd May 1983 ~ Portsmouth 2-2 Orient
Saturday 2nd May 1987 ~ Swansea City 0-3 Wrexham
Saturday 2nd May 1992 ~ Portsmouth 2-0 Barnsley
Saturday 2nd May 1998 ~ Havant Town 3-3 Weston-super-Mare
Wednesday 2nd May 2001 ~ Portsmouth 2-4 Crystal Palace
Monday 2nd May 2011 ~ Ardley United 1-3aet Holyport
Wednesday 2nd May 2012 ~ Eynsham 2-1 Broughton & North Newington
Thursday 2nd May 2013 ~ Abingdon Town 0-5 Wantage Town
Wed 2nd May 2018 ~ 1st Yorkshire Regiment 2-1 3rd Royal School of Military Engineering
Wed 2nd May 2018 ~ Aldershot Town 1-1aet Ebbsfleet United (Ebbsfleet win 5-4 on pens)
Thursday 2nd May 2019 ~ Long Crendon 4-0 Langley

...with the most historic probably being...

Saturday 2nd May 1998 ~
Southern League Southern Division
Havant Town 3-3 Weston-super-Mare

This was Havant Town FC's final match, while three miles away to the west, Waterlooville FC were playing not only their last ever match against Yate Town (I think they won 6-1?), but also the final competitive football match to take place at Jubilee Park. Four weeks later on 1st June 1998, the two clubs merged to form Havant & Waterlooville FC. In a tight match, Town took the lead three times, but Weston never gave up and leveled quickly each time.

Here are a couple of photos from the match... (Note the bloke sat on a chair on the stand roof. The Havant no.7 is ex-Southampton midfielder Glenn Cockerill. And one of the photos is of that now-rarity, a competitive drop-ball!)...

1588377159087.png

1588377193899.png

...along with the final team line-ups that appeared later in 'Team Talk'...

1588377286348.png

Last edited:

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Two years ago I managed a very enjoyable double, spending the afternoon at the 118th Army FA Cup final at the Military Stadium in Aldershot, followed by...

Wednesday 2nd May 2018 ~
National League Play-Off Eliminator A
Aldershot Town 1-1aet Ebbsfleet United (Ebbsfleet win 5-4 on pens)

...where I witnessed one of the best football matches, and certainly experienced the most passionate atmosphere at a game, that I have in many many years. In an era of fun-for-all-the-family plastic sports hubs and corporate entertainment, Aldershot Town's Recreation Ground remains one of the few proper football grounds left this high in the pyramid, with a proper old-fashioned terrace-focused atmosphere of raucous noise to match. Aldershot's fans always seem to rise to the occasion, and on this evening Ebbsfleet's fans contributed their share too. Having only ever been to this ground as an away fan, my feet automatically funnelled me onto the visitors terrace, where home and away supporters stand separated by just a fence, beneath a huge barrel-shaped iron roof which amplifies all the noise made.

Summing up the play as briefly as possible: it was pulsating end-to-end stuff throughout, with Ebbsfleet missing a penalty in normal time, then leveling Town's extra-time goal with an equaliser in the 120th minute. In the shoot-out, Ebbsfleet missed two early penalties (I saw at least on away fan leave at this point, with a "See ya, Craig" to his mate), before Aldershot twice wasted winning position kicks. Then in sudden death, the Shots goalkeeper smacked his kick against the inside of the post and saw it bounce outwards, leaving 'Fleet to score their seventh kick and win it 5-4. In some ways, it's worrying to think how long it might be til I see another football match as good as this one, with this sort of drama, excitement and atmosphere. Or indeed if I ever will again. I thought nights like this only existed in my childhood memories.

1588378312144.png

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Wednesday @ 19-30.
Racecourse.
1980 European Championship Qualifier Group 7.
Wales 0 v 2 West Germany.

original Official programme for the European Championship match Wales V West Germany played on 2 May 1979 at The Racecourse, Wrexham.

Wales - Dai Davies , Joey Jones , Malcolm Page , John Mahoney , George Berry , Leighton Phillips , Micky Thomas , Terry Yorath , Alan Curtis , Ian Edwards , Carl Harris.
Subs - John Toshack for Edwards , Robbie James for Yorath.
Manager - Alan Smith.

West Germany - Sepp Maier , Bernhard Cullmann , Manny Kaltz , Bernard Dietz , Karl Heinz Forster , Uli Stielike , Herbert Zimmermann (1) , Rainer Bonhof , Klaus Allofs , Klaus Fischer (1) , Karl Heinz Rummenigge.
Sub - Bernd Martin.
Manager - Jupp Derwall.

Referee - Alberto Michelotti (Italy).

Going into this game results had differed for both , Wales had won their 2 games both at home v Malta 7-0 and v Turkey 1-0 while Germany had drawn their 2 away games v Malta and v Turkey both 0-0. I was at Turkey v West Germany in Izmir , what a hostile crowd that was and had a good chat with Mike Smith on the flight home who had been sussing out the Germans.
Slightly odd that both teams began the group with all 3 games at home / away.

Germany were still favourites to top Group 7 and to qualify for the Finals in Italy and they made easy work of this game in Wrexham.
The first goal coming from a Manny Kaltz right wing cross which was headed in at the near post by Zimmermann on 30 minutes.

The second early in the seond half again followed great work by Kaltz this time on the left he centered for this time Klaus Fischer to head powerfully home.

Germany did indeed win Group 7 which also consisted of Malta and Turkey , they went to Italy as favourites to win the whole tournament and indeed they did by beating Belgium 2-1 in the Final in Rome on June 22 , 1980.
The West German team in the Final that day saw 5 changes from the team in Wrexham , Harald Schumacher replaced Maier , Hans Peter Briegel replaced Cullmann , Bernd Schuster replaced Bonhof , Hansi Muller replaced Zimmermann and Horst Hruebesch replaced Fischer.
Hruebesch scoring both goals in the final.

47 x games , 3 x doubles , 2 x trebles , 4 X 0-0'S.

Last edited:

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 2 May 1987
Wolverton Town 0-0 Wivenhoe Town

Isthmian League Division 2 North
Attendance: 95
Prog 32 pages

This ground, referred to as simply The Park at the time, must have been covered by others on here at various times and there’s an excellent write-up in Kerry Miller’s ’The history of non-League football grounds’ which includes a photo from the 1890s which would look familiar to anyone who visited 80 or 90 years later. The ground originally included a cycle track and, although the track itself had gone, in 1987 it still showed signs of its history through the curved ends and raised banks. The main features, however, were two stands that backed directly onto the imposing railway workshop behind, both of which look quite small in photos but I remember them both being bigger than expected. The main stand was able to stake a reasonable claim as the oldest in the country - I don’t know if a definitive answer ever emerged.

As for the game, it kind of fizzled out as Wolverton had secured promotion with a 2-1 win at Wivenhoe the previous Tuesday, a game I had also attended and would have booked my seat to travel on the team coach four days later. This was Wivenhoe’s first season in the Isthmian, although after finishing second in the Essex Senior League their initial preference at the time had been to join the likes of Clacton, Harwich and Tiptree in the Eastern Counties League. They were in the early stages of a purple patch and would win Div 2 North the following year, eventually getting as high as mid-table in the league’s Premier Division. Meanwhile, included in the Wolverton team that day was Roger Ashby, later manager of moneybags Rushden & Diamonds. I guess Wolverton could have done with a bit of that cash as they seemed to change name every year or two before folding in the early 90s, while the ground became derelict and has now been converted into a public park, although Google Maps shows that the frame of the old stand has been retained.

Monday 2 May 1988
Barkingside 3-2 Southwark Sports

Spartan League Premier Division

I saw a few games in the Spartan League in the late 80s while at uni but never ventured to them as a first choice as there always seemed to be a huge gap in standards between this league and Isthmian Div 2. I guess Barkingside’s old Oakside ground (now used by one of those nondescript clubs that frequent various parts of London) was one of the best in the league but I was only tempted there as part of a double header. From what I remember it was next to the Underground station, fully enclosed and railed, and had a stand on the right hand side nestled amongst some grass banking. I don’t think there was a programme or admission charged.

… followed by
Sawbridgeworth Town 1-0 Woodford Town
Harry Fisher Memorial Trophy Final @ East Ham Utd
Attendance: 200
Prog 12 pages

I believe this is another club / ground over which some people have waxed lyrical. The club itself always seemed to be rooted to the bottom of the Essex Senior League but they’d seen better times in the 50s and 60s. I expect the ground had too. Ferndale Sports Ground was rather ramshackle but certainly not as bad as I’d been led to believe and featured a stand with rudimentary wooden bench seating. I guess I would have walked the 2 miles south from East Ham Underground station and remember the local area is being in transition - there were new houses going up around the ground but also distinct signs of urban industrial neglect.

A 12 page photocopied programme was issued, the cover showing a 1976 photo of George Best with his arm around Harry Fisher who was a long-time servant of East Ham Utd, and the inside pages included reproductions of a fixtures card from 1895/6. Anyway, much to my surprise, it seems that EHU kept going until 2001 and I believe the ground was pretty rapidly covered up by housing.

Tuesday 2 May 1995
Leek 1-3 Cheltenham Town

Southern League Premier Division
Attendance: 227
Prog issued

A good game at a great ground, Harrison Park, but ultimately noteworthy for the fact that three players shared the name of Steve Jones. They were Steve Jones, Steve Jones and Steve Jones.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1.
Norwich City 2 Leicester City 3.(25,307)

Division 2.
Leeds United 2 Leicester City 2.(14,442)

Mid Comb 1.
Wellesbourne 1 Chelmsley Town 1.(94)

Conference North PO/SF 1.
Hinckley United 0 Workington 0.(1,092)

EMCL.
Graham St Prims 1 Kirby Muxloe 3.(46) visitors won the league with this one

Welsh Cup Final. @ Newtown FC.
TNS 2 Newtown 0.
Adm. £8.
Prog. £2.
Att. 1,579.

Welsh Cup Final. @ Wrexham FC
Airbus UK 0 TNS 2.
Adm. £8.(Yale Stand)
Prog. £2.
Att. 1,402.

groundhoppers.blog

Junior Team Sub
Two cup finals on this date in recent years, both in North Yorkshire (old money)

North Riding Senior Cup final (played at Middlesbrough)
Scarborough Ath 2 Marske Utd 2 (Scarborough won on penalties)

A quirky day out on Teesside. The Riverside has plenty of curios in the neighbourhood - the transporter bridge, a few pieces of art, some old gates from Ayresome Park - but today those were trumped by a hearse parked up outside the ground. It's a regular feature at Scarborough's games, commemorating the untimely demise of the old Seamer Road ground. For a time, that looked like it might also be the demise of senior football in the town, but happily the club regrouped, recovered from a long spell in exile in Bridlington and returned home to Scarborough in 2017. An entertaining cup final could have gone either way; even after five penalty shots apiece the scores were level. Then the goalies went head-to-head, Scarborough's scored, Marske's missed. The Senior Cup was back in Scarborough for the first time since 2004, and the first since the creation of Athletic. If anyone is interested in a few photos, click here: https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/05/02/death-and-rebirth-for-scarborough/

Wearside League Cup final (played at Redcar)
Redcar Athletic 1 Stockton Town 3

Two upwardly mobile teams, but one facing a delay. Stockton, all-but assured of the Wearside League title and promotion, had little trouble making it a 'double' with victory over their closest rivals. An early goal for the hosts was quickly cancelled out and the Anchors duly hoisted another pot. Subsequently, they've climbed to the top of the Northern League (promotion apparently not happening this season) and got to Wembley in the FA Vase. Great progress for a team that grew out of a local youth club.

Redcar, meanwhile, were embroiled in all sorts of arguments. The FA's endless reshaping of the pyramid seemed to mean two teams could be promoted from the Wearside League. Redcar, second to Stockton, reckoned they had a good case to go up. But lateral movements and other issues confused the picture; their fate was settled not on the pitch, but at a meeting with FA officials. The verdict went against Redcar, promotion would have to wait. Now in Northern League 2, they're facing a similar problem - well-placed for promotion prior to the pandemic, they risk being left in limbo once again. Again, photos and a longer account at https://groundhoppers.blog/2016/06/13/pyramid-problems-leave-redcar-in-limbo/

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Emley v Woolley MW 2-0
Sheffield Senior C Final
played @ Oakwell, Barnsley

Woolley MW v Pickering Tn 4-1
NCEL D1

1994, a treble
Toddington Rovers v Shenley and Loughton 3-1
South Mids, Snr Div

Oxford City v Tring Tn5-0
Diadora Div 3

Wellesbourne v Chelmsley Tn 1-1
Skol Mid Com Premier

Rayners Lane v Yarnton 6-0
Hellenic Div 1

Burnley Utd v Kirkham and Wesham 0-1
West Lancs

2005, a double
Bewdley Tn v Brereton Social 6-0
Express and Star Div 1

Cadbury Athletic v Atherstone Tn 1-2
West Mids Div 1

Hatherleigh Tn v Torridgeside 1-5
Torridge Cup Final
played @ Torrington

Appledore v Crediton Utd 0-1
SWPL

Appledore v Liverton 2-3
SWPL

Bideford Community v Shamwickshire Rvrs
N. Devon Premier

Appledore v St Martins 0-6
SWPL

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Tuesday May 2nd 2000
Scottish Premier League
St Johnstone v Aberdeen, 2-1, H.T. 1-1, Att 3991
At McDiarmid Park

Season 1999/2000 was a strange one in the top flight of Scottish football. A decision had been taken to expand the Premier League from 10 to 12 clubs so there was no relegation. Rangers were on a different planet to everyone else and had the title sewn up by February. Aberdeen travelled to Perth for this late season fixture some way adrift at the foot of the table yet knowing that they would not be facing relegation for their first time in their history.

Saints had little to play for either. They were in the lower mid table area and too far behind to try and claim a place in Europe. All that was at stake was final positions – quite significant in terms of the prize money on offer.

McDiarmid Park had been opened in 1989 and was the first of the “new grounds” in Scotland. I never took to it. It was too far from the town centre to walk. The all-seated stands discouraged the sort of crowd vibe that I liked. I enjoyed being able to stand where I liked and chat to different people at various points around the ground. Being stuck in a seat seemed anti-social and restrictive. There were some people I knew at Muirton Park who I never saw at McDiarmid Park. Saints would say that the pluses outweighed the negatives with more families and perhaps “a better class” of supporter than they attracted at Muirton. Whatever, it just wasn’t the same.

Legroom in the far-side stand was restricted compared to the generous proportions of the Main Stand. That’s why I would have been in the Main Stand despite the additional cost.

The teams that night:

Sainties: Stephen Robertson, Darren Dods, Gary Bollan, Jim Weir, Paul Kane, John-Paul McBride, John O’Neil, Paul Kane, Keighan Parker, Kieran McAnespie, Graeme Jones. Sub Mark Millar
Dons: Jim Leighton, Derek Lilley, Tomas Sollberg, Derek Whyte, Russell Anderson, David Rowson, Paul Bernard, Derek Young, Rashid Belabed, Robbie Winters, Aruld Stavrum. Subs Hiuham Zerouali and Mark Perry

Those line-ups send shivers down my spine and not for the right reasons. Saints defence of Weir, Bollan and Dods was not renowned for silky soccer. Goalie Robertson was a bomb scare. The Aberdeen side was filled with zero-listed foreigners of limited ability and several Scots that were past their sell-by date.

Darren Dods was Manager of Brechin as they slumped from Championship to League Two recently. Gary Bollan is currently Manager of Cowden where he is doing a fine job. Jim Weir quit as Forfar Manager earlier in the season after being involved in a near-fatal road accident returning from training at Stenhousemuir. Keighan Parker is a polis in Perth. Kieran McAnespie was previously working as a cameraman for a porn channel and was last week appointed as manager of Cumbernauld United. Graeme Jones was Assistant to Roberto Martinez at various jobs including the Belgian National team.

Aberdeen stunned their meagre following by taking the lead in the 27th minute through Robbie Winters. Daren Dods equalised a couple of minutes later with a header. Graeme Jones headed the ball down to Paul Kane in the closing minute and the ex-Dons shot through the bandy legs of Jim Leighton for the winner. It was not a game to live long in the memory.

StJ v Dons.jpg

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
Premier League
West Ham Utd 1 v Burnley 0 att 34,946

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
1987 - Barclays League Division 3 - Darlington 0-1 Fulham Att: 1,267

Barclays League Division Three
Sunderland 3-1 Northampton Town
Att: 29,454

Sunderland being in Division 3 was unthinkable, but it's where we found ourselves in 1987-88. Promotion had been achieved on Saturday with a 1-0 win at Port Vale, and the Championship would follow with a point in either of our last two games, this one on a Bank Holiday Monday evening, and then on the Saturday at home to Rotherham.

In fact, Walsall's defeat in their afternoon kick off meant that the title was confirmed before we even kicked off, and there was a party atmosphere inside Roker. Though, by modern day standards, the crowd doesn't look especially large, it was the highest in the North East all season, despite Newcastle being in Division One, and Boro winning promotion from Div 2.

John MacPhail, who scored 16 goals from centre back that season (albeit 11 of them penalties) put Sunderland ahead shortly after the half hour, from the spot after gates had been tripped, but Tony Adcock quickly levelled for the visitors.

Gordon Armstrong restored Sunderland's lead three minutes into the second half, converting a Marco Gabbiadini cross, and Eric Gates completed the scoring, heading in the rebound after a Paul Lemon effort was parried by Peter Gleasure in the Cobblers' goal.

There was still time for MacPhail to blaze his second penalty into the Fulwell end after Colin Pascoe had been tripped, but nobody cared too much. The championship trophy was presented to Gary Bennett and a lap of honour followed. Surely, we would never sink this low again.....

Barclays League Division One
Aston Villa 2-0 Coventry City

Coventry needed a point to stay up, defeat could see Luton overtaking them if they could win at already relegated Notts County. Villa took just 20 seconds to take the lead, Steve Staunton's cross being met by a powerful header from former Sky Blue Cyrille Regis. Dwight Yorke added a second before half time, heading in from Tony Daley's cross.
Despite Luton having taken the lead at Meadow Lane, they were eventually beaten 1-2. Coventry survived to enter the Premier League, the Hatters went down.

2010 - Sunderland 0-1 Manchester United (Nani) - Att: 47,641

West Midlands Regional League Division One
Worcester Raiders 2-2 FC Stafford
Att: 30ish

At the time, I worked with a gentleman who refereed in this league, but would never let on where he was going to be. This was the only time, to date, that I saw him in action.

Advertised as either 6.45 or 7.00 kick off, depending where you looked, we actually kicked off at 6.51. Several hoppers at this one. While not the most ill-tempered match I've seen, this wasn't an end of season kickabout either. Raiders, in particular, complained about every decision that went against them.

Raiders went into the game in 4th place, Stafford 2nd from the bottom, but this was one of two games in hand that both had on several of their rivals.

Despite the difference in their league positions, Stafford started the better, hitting the bar early on, then taking the lead on 27 minutes with a neat lob from the edge of the box, and adding a second 2 minutes into the second half, with a header going in off the underside the bar.
This galvanised Raiders into action, and they pulled a goal back on 56 minutes when a cross from the right was headed in at the back post.

On 64 minutes, Raiders were down to 10 men, their no.9 receiving his second yellow card but, actually, Raiders seemed to play better when down to 10. On 78 minutes, they pulled back to 2-2, the number 12 latching onto a neat through ball, shrugging off a couple of challenges and finishing neatly. Overall, probably a fair result, but it was hard not to feel a bit of sympathy for the visitors, given how their performance belied their lowly league placing.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
Northwich VictoriaFarnborough Town02.05.921-1GMVC
Farnborough TownGresley Rovers02.05.945-0Beazer Homes
MorecambeFarnborough Town02.05.981-1GMVC
FarnboroughGloucester City02.05.090-1BGBPPOf
Pease Pottage VillageBroadbridge Heath02.05.112-0SCL3
Basingstoke TownDartford02.05.120-1BSBSPOSF1
Tring CorinthiansAston Clinton02.05.131-5SSML Div 2
Tredegar TownBettws02.05.154-0Welsh League 3
APM ContrastSutton Athletic02.05.161-0Kent Invicta
Hartley WintneyAFC Dunstable02.05.182-0SLDiv1C P/o Semi

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
Another seven on this date....

1981 - Southern League South - Fareham T 0 Hastings U 2 - the visitors finished third, and at this point hadn't given up on the title. Two first-half goals put them in control against a team battling (and failing) to keep out of the bottom two, although the hosts did put up more of a show in the second half.

1998 - Southern League South - Waterlooville 5 Yate T 1 - whereas Oxpete went to Havant T for their last game before the merger, I went to Jubilee Park for my 29th and final visit. The visitors were rock-bottom and were swept away by their mid-table hosts, determined to go out with a bang. Three up at half-time, it was five by the 83rd minute by the time Justin Prichard scored a consolation goal, the last at this venue. A stats-laden programme was a fitting end of one era, and the start of a new one..... and sadly, the end of one of the better non-league grounds in the area at the time.

2009 - Southern League Div 1 S+SW playoff final - AFC Totton 1 Didcot T 2 aet - 1123 saw the visitors deal well with 'long ball Totton' and take the lead in the first half. The homesters tied it up in the second leading to extra time, where the visitors got the win through John.
Highlights (set to music) in two parts:

2011 - Southern League Div 1 S+SW playoff final - Sholing 0 Frome T 1 - played in a gale, settled by a spectacular 30-yarder by Evans in the sixth minute, absolute dross for the rest of the game as both teams booted the ball up in the air all the time and wondered why they couldn't control it.
Interesting video from a Frome fan's perspective (he missed the goal) here:

the rest are reported on the old WDYG:
2013 - Wessex Prem - Alresford T 2 Blackfield and Langley 4 - If Alresford had won this, then B&L would have had a tricky game at Totton and Eling on Saturday to negotiate to win the league. They didn't need it. The home side took an early lead, Stuart was then sent off for the visitors, but this didn't deter them as they equalised, then swept aside their opponents with two goals early in the second half.

2015 - Hampshire Prem - Hamble Club 0 Headley U 1 - already crowned champions, the home team lost here to a hard-working mid-table side. We also had a ref with a sense of humour deficit, as he gave Watts two yellows for very mild dissent, compared to what his team were usually capable of.

2016 - Hampshire Prem League Cup Final @Portchester - Hamble Club 2 Liss Athletic 0 - MC duties again, with a very dodgy mic, as we watched a competitive final, where Hamble just edged it with a late own goal to add to a first half goal direct from a corner by Crook. Hamble went into the Wessex at the end of this season.

John Treleven

In 1816, Leopold of Saxe-Coburg married Princess Charlotte of Wales, at the time, Charlotte was second in line to the throne of Great Britain, after George III (her grandfather) and George IV (father).

However, Charlotte died in childbirth, only 18 months later, so the throne of England would end up with a different granddaughter of George III, (Victoria)

Her death occasioned a double wedding at Kew in 1818 of the king's bachelor sons in order to secure the succession - we have similar plans this year virus permitting

Getting back to May 2nd - Matthews/Mortensen final (and a different royal Charlotte becoming 5)

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1979 Blades 0 Blackburn 1 L2 Att 16,012 we were doomed
1981 Blades 0 Walsall 1 L3 Att 16,001 another relegation
1983 Blades 2 Bristol Rovers 1 L3 Att 7,694
1987 Workington 3 Burton Albion 2 NPL caught the wrong bus back which took the long, scenic route,
only just made my connection in Carlisle when I should have had an hour for refreshments
1988 Winterton Rangers 0 Liversedge 2 NCE 2
1988 Scunthorpe United 1 Exeter City 1 L4 last league game at ground.
Was supposed to be last game until Exeter equalised in 86th minute putting Iron into the play-offs against Torquay.
1988 Hallam 1 Harrogate Railway 1 NCE Prem.
1989 Emley 2 Woolley MW 0 Senior Cup Final @ Oakwell
1990 Woolley MW 4 Pickering Town 1 NCE 1
1992 Wimbledon 3 Blades 0 L1
1994 Cammell Laird 5 Shell 3 Pyke Cup Final @ Vauxhall Motors
1994 Wilmslow Albion 0 Linotype 3 Mid. Cheshire 1
1994 Buxton 4 Matlock 1 NPL
1997 Hucknall Town 3 Pontefract Collieries 1 NCE Cup Final @ Millmoor
2000 Athersley Rec. 0 Frecheville 2 County Senior League Cup Final @ Bracken Moor
2005 Newark Flowserve 0 Newark Town 1 CML Prem.
2006 Ashton Athletic 1 Whitworth Valley 4 Manc. 1
2009 Belper Town 0 Stocksbridge PS 1 NPL 1 South play-off Final Att 812
2011 Ryhope CW 3 Easington Colliery 2 Shipowners Cup Final AET (2-2)
2012 Nuneaton Town 1 Guiseley 1 Conf. North Play-off S/F 1st leg Att 1,476
2013 Awsworth Villa 4 Bilborough Town 1 Notts Senior Prem. Att 13
2015 Clay Cross Town 5 Harworth CI 1 CML North
2016 Rylands 0 Crewe 1 Cheshire 1 Att 35
2017 Tweedmouth Rangers 2 Leith Athletic 2 East of Scot.

Rugby League
1998 Eagles 17 Wigan 8 Challenge Cup Final @ Wembley magic
2004 Huddersfield Underbank Rangers 22 Coventry Bears 44 Nat. Conf. 3

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks