May 3rd

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1903, Bing Crosby was born on May 3rd. Thought you might to know that.

Time for you to add where you went on Bing's Birthday

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Sorry Pikey.

Wednesday @ 19-30.
UEFA Cup Final 1st Leg.
@ Molineux.
Wolves 1 v 2 Spurs.

Wolves - Phil Parkes , Bernard Shaw , Gerry Taylor , John McCalle , Frank Munro ,
Danny Hegan , Kenny Hibbitt , Jim McCalliog (1) , Derek Dougan , John Richards , David Wagstaffe.
Subs - Rod Arnold , Derek Parkin , Steve Daley , Hugh Curran , Peter Eastoe.
Manager - Bill McGarry.

Spurs - Pat Jennings , Phil Beal , Cyril Knowles , Joe Kinnear , Mike England , Alan Mullery , Ralph Coates , Steve Perryman ,Alan Gilzean , Martin Chivers (2) , Martin Peters.
Subs - Barry Daines , Ray Evans , Terry Naylor , Jimmy Pearce , John Pratt for Coates.
Manager - Bill Nicholson.

Referee - Tofiq Bahramov ( Azerbaijan ) That famous Russian :rolleyes: linesman.

The first season of the UEFA Cup and it's an all English affair , Wolves beating Ferencvaros in the semi final and Spurs overcoming Milan. Both sides were disappointed at not meeting foreign opposition in the Final.

Reaction after semis from both camps =

From the Daily Telegraph -
''Steve Perryman, then a young Tottenham midfielder, remembers a very different sense in the Spurs dressing room. It was, he recalls, as if the air had been let out of a balloon.
“No disrespect, but once we made the final we were looking for a great European name,” he says. “Wolves played Ferencvaros in their semi and when we got back to our dressing room after ours, we were definitely looking forward to playing them, a proper European side. Instead it was Wolves v Tottenham. Not quite the same shine.”

And if it might be thought Perryman’s dismissal was born of metropolitan snobbery, the feeling in the Black Country was no more positive.
“Oh God yes, we were disappointed,” says John Richards, the Wolves forward. “Total anti-climax. There we were in a European final and it was just another English team, who we play year in year out. Same old same old. It felt in the run up to it almost like a postponed game slotted in at end of the season.”

Attendances were not brilliant at Wolves , at the semi v Fradi there were 100 less than at this Final , just to put it in context the following Monday (8th) there were 53,379 at Wolves for the league game v Leeds. Admittedly it was a title decider .

On the night Spurs were well led by Chivers but were fortunate to take a narrow win to White Hart Lane to set the second leg up on May 17th.
Danny Hegan had a tremendous 50 yarder tipped over by Jennings in the first half.

Chivers scored after 57 mins with a brilliant header from an England free kick.
McAlliog equalised on 72 with a quickly taken free kick , Hegan slipping it through before Spurs were ready defensively and McCalliog slipping it past Jennings.
Chivers scored the winner at the death with a 30 yard drive which beat Parkes a little bit too easily.

Highlights.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1972. [email protected]+19-30. UEFA+Cup+Final+1st+Leg.&docid=608018887469565081&mid=5F76F940BF731FF40A7A5F76F940BF731FF40A7A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Goals.
0-1 . 46' 00''.
1-1 . 54' 34''.
1-2 . 1hr 04' 42''.
Plus Danny Hegans 50 yard effort - 30' 45''.

Bing Crosby | Discography | Discogs

45 x games , 2 x doubles , 2 x trebles , 2 x 0-0's.

Last edited:

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
3rd May was a busy day for me...

1997 - Hull Kingston Rovers 60 Hunsley Hawks 14 (HT 22-10) - RL Silk Cut Challenge Plate Final
Bradford Bulls 22 St Helens 32 (HT 10-16) - RL Silk Cut Challenge Cup Final

My 7th of 8 visits to Wembley - Attendance 78022

I had only intended to be at the Bradford v St Helens game but according to my notes, there had been a security alert delaying the start of the Plate Final, which meant that it was only at HT when I arrived. I didn't note what the alert actually was about, and having done a brief search now I can't find a mention of it online - was anyone else there that can remember? I found a report in the Independent that mentions that the Plate finalists having to change outside the ground, but didn't say why. The BBC coverage on youtube is commentary free for the first 2 minutes with nothing mentioned when they start talking.

So when I got there it was 22-10 to Hull KR. The second half was pretty much all Hull KR with a small interlude as Hunslet pulled one back on 53 mins. 60-14 was pretty comprehensive... But then on to the main event. Bradford did lead for a while in the 1st half and were looking like they were up for the Cup and were a strong side as they eventually won the Super League later in the year. But Saints then turned on the style running up a 20 point lead, before Bradford tried to come back but eventually went down 32-22.

2002 - Altrincham 0 Vauxhall Motors 1 - Unibond League Premier Division
My 7th of 8 visits to Moss Lane - Attendance 472

Seemed odd at 1st glance that the final round of games in the Unibond Prem was on a Friday night, but turns out the FA Cup Final was the day after. It also seemed odd for me to have gone to this as the league had been won by Burton long ago, although Vauxhall Motors were clear in 2nd place and Altrincham mid-table, and I wasn't reporting for anyone for once. But a bit of memory searching and my girlfriend at the time was obsessed with Vauxhall cars, and when she found out that there was a team called Vauxhall Motors, she became a fan, and attended a few games that season with me when they were playing someone I was reporting on - even going to one on her own away at Macclesfield in the FA Cup. So I or her must have suggested we went to Moss Lane that night.

The sides had only met each other at Vauxhall 3 days earlier in the penultimate game of the season, and this turned out to be Graham Heathcote's last match at manager of Altrincham. It wasn't a good one though as Kevin Lynch scored for Vauxhall on 24 mins and it could have been more as they seemed to dominate the 2nd half.

2003 - Radcliffe Borough 2 Chorley 2 AET (HT 2-0, 90m 2-2, 4-2 pens) - Unibond League Play Off Final
My 4th of 4 visits to Stainton Park

This was a classic game as Radcliffe Borough had dominated proceedings after a bright Chorley syart and led 2-0 (Jody Banim & Neil Hardy) through to 82 mins. Then Chorley started the amazing comeback scoring twice to take it to extra time (David Eatock 82m and Lee Wilkinson in injury time). Extra time had no further goals and it went to penalties... I was doing live radio so was in the press box behind the goal that penalties were being kicked towards, which made it difficult to spot exactly which player was about to take the kick... But Chorley never really looked like winning the penalty shootout and it was Radcliffe promoted 4-2 on pens.

2004 - Bradford Park Avenue 2 Burscough 0 AET (HT 0-0, 90m 0-0) - Unibond League Play Off Final
My 2nd of 7 visits to the Horsfall Stadium - Attendance 670

This was that odd season where despite finishing 19th, Burscough were in the PlayOff Final for promotion to Conference North. The Top 13 were automatically promoted and the next 7 were in the play-offs. This game was the 1st of a radio double header but due to technical difficulties (the only person in the studio for the bank holiday didn't know how to feed me into the programming) neither game made it to air. This was a tight game and Burscough fell away in extra time - however the reason why I hadn't realised at the time. With defender Karl Bell off injured in the 2nd half, captain and central defender Steve McNulty left the ground on 90 mins before extra time to go on holiday - with a car waiting at the "FT" whistle for him to be at Manchester Airport by 6pm. Both the Bradford goals were from their subs - Stephen Oleksewycz and James Russell.

2004 - Colne 1 Great Harwood Town 0 (HT 1-0) - North West Counties League Division 2 Trophy Final
My 8th of 14 visits to Shawbridge, Clitheroe FC

Second part of the bank holiday cup final double header and this was a win for Colne. I have little recollection of the game, except at the Trophy presentation, while Colne were celebrating, the Clitheroe groundsman was shouting on the tannoy for everyone to get off the pitch. The Colne goal was scored by Paul Walker (formerly of Great Harwood Town) early in the game. This was a great season for Colne as they got to the Vase SFs and won the league with 5 games to go - so this was the double for them.

2008 - Accrington Stanley 0 Bury 2 - League 2
My 47th of 56 visits to Crown Ground - Attendance 2566

This was my 5th game watching Stanley that season and they had got 0 points and scored 0 goals so far in my presence... and this game was no different. However unbeknown to anyone at the time (except maybe some bookmakers), this game was going to become significant later as 5 players (four Stanley (2 of which were playing) and one Bury) were suspended and fined for betting on Bury to win. There were also rumours at the time that the team had been out at a stag do the previous night.

It is easy in hindsight to say the game seemed suspicious, but to me on the day it was the same as every other Stanley performance I'd seen that season - terrible. Andy Bishop for Bury was the star as he scored a 1st half penalty and then just before the break, did a great run from his own half and a great finish.

2018 - Roach Dynamos 2 Mostonians 0 (HT 1-0) - Lancashire Amateur League 1st XI Cup Final
My 1st and only visit to the County Ground, Leyland - Attendance 90

I had been looking for a good reason to go to the County Ground, and this was a great game. Nicely maintained 500-seater stand opposite the LFA offices gives a great slightly elevated view of the game. There was also covered standing room with a small stand behind one of the goals. Mostonians were expected to win, given they were top of the LAL and could clinch the title 2 days later. But Roach Dynamos played well and deserved their 1-0 lead midway through the 1st half, and then a penalty midway through the 2nd half made it 2-0.

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1981/82 Spurs 2 Liverpool 2 (38,091) Div 1
1982/83 Hampton 1 Borehamwood 1 Ist Div 1
1985/86 Finchley 1 Walthamstow Ave (aet) LSC Final @ Brentford
1996/97 Kingsbury Town 3 Win-Fin 0 (30) Ist Div 3
2000/01 Cockfosters 1 Stony Stratford Town 2 SML Senior Div
2020/11 Win-Fin 4 Harlow Town 2 (327) Ist Div 1 (Nth) Play/Off S/F
2013/14 Yeovil Town 1 Middlesbrough 4 (6477) Championship
Gillingham Town 2 Sherborne Town 0 (163) WFL Prem Div
2014/15 Spurs 0 Manchester City 1 (35,784) Prem Lge
2015/16 London Lions 0 Standon & Puckeridge 0 (36) HCL Prem Div
2018/19 Enfield Boro 4 Winslow Utd 1 (45) SML Div 1

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 3rd May 1986
Castleford 15 Hull Kingston Rovers 14 (HT 7-6)
Rugby League Challenge Cup, Final @ Wembley Stadium (3.0)
Admission £9
Attendance 82,134
Programme £1 (44pp)

My first Challenge Cup Final and third visit to Wembley. I’d watched a couple of schoolboy football internationals at the national stadium. Loved the stroll up Wembley Way amid the colours of numerous rugby league clubs and the iconic Twin Towers. Otherwise, the place was a complete dump.

A terrible view of a gripping game. My mate Dave, whom I’d met three years earlier, during university freshers’ week, was a Cas fan. Having watched, in his company, the Glassblowers’ third round win at Wigan (10-2) and semi-final victory over Oldham (18-7, also at Central Park), I was happy to leave buying the tickets to him. I’ve just remembered, at the final hooter in the Oldham tie, we ran the length of the Wigan pitch. Must’ve consumed too many pre-match beers in Billy Boston’s pub, The Griffin Hotel, a touchfinder from Central Park. The ‘old’ Wembley was terrible for spectating. One was either too low down or too far back (or both). As we discovered. Dave, the tight git, paid only for ‘safety fence view’ seats. Jeez. We might as well have stayed at home and watched the match on the box!

An ebb-and-flow contest was in the balance to the hooter. A capable Rovers side missed out on glory when, in the last minute, Australian John Dorahy, a toe end kicker, was unable to convert from the touchline a dramatic try scored in the corner by replacement John Lydiat.

For me, though, the standout moment was tiny Cas wing Jamie Sandy, a 5ft 4in Aussie, outpacing three bulkier defenders to touch down the decisive try. Tony Marchant’s superb solo opening try for Cas, scored from 60 metres off Kevin Ward’s sweet offload, also sticks in my mind.

Scrum-half Bob Beardmore, who contributed a try and a drop goal (the latter nudged Cas ahead at half-time), took the Lance Todd Trophy after the media named him man of the match. Gary Prohm, who scored two tries on his Rovers farewell, must have run Beardmore close in the voting. Prohm’s slowness to react when Beardmore grubbered to score probably cost the Aussie centre.

Some football:

Castletown (Metropolitan) 0 Ramsey 4 (2014, Manx Premier League). Visiting the Isle of Man for a week. A nostalgic trip with several family members. We had a two or three 1970s childhood holidays at Port St Mary. On this occasion, we stayed in a cottage near Castletown harbour. Couldn’t persuade anybody to join me at Castletown Stadium, on Malew Road. The Castletown club, whose unusual name reflects a time when the town was the Manx capital, needed to win to take to the last match their battle against relegation. Part of the grandstand was scheduled for demolition the following month. Seemed a good time to go. The club chairman, originally from Blackburn, gave me a pre-match tour of the facilities. The stand, offering a view of Snaefell, the island’s highest summit, is set back from the pitch because there used to be a cycle track. It was a very poor game. Castletown - the Reds - were terrible. Ramsey’s young striker scored a hat-trick. The goals came in the 24th, 48th, 50th and 86th minutes. The overall standard was barely step seven.

Steeton 5 Farnley 0 (2008, West Riding County Amateur League, Division One). Long before Steeton played North West Counties League football at the Keighley rugby league ground, I went along to the Doris Wells Memorial Field, a pleasant if basic set-up adjacent to the village cricket club’s square. The promise of a programme would have tempted me. Don’t much bother with the WRCAL. Beneath Jubilee Tower, an Aire Valley landmark, the football ground’s delights are in the detail. Steeton is about the point where urban West Yorkshire gives way to rural North Yorkshire. In front of 53 diehards, second bottom Farnley, without a win since January 5, were outplayed by a young home team. Aaron Hollindrake (6, 10 and 57) netted a hat-trick. Related to 1950s-1970s Keighley Rugby League Club legend Terry Hollindrake? Goalkeeper James Wiggan (76) scored Steeton’s fifth, an eye-catching 55-yard free kick that squirmed in as Hollindrake made a nuisance of himself. Hollindrake set up the fourth, a Dave Scott (54) header.

Avro 1 Highfield United 1, AET, 4-5 on penalties @ Springhead FC (2003, Murray Shield, Final). Stormy Manchester League competition showpiece in Oldham. Avro, who forced extra time with a 90th-minute equaliser, had two players sent off in the 88th minute. There were nine bookings. And a punch-up. Sixteen kicks were required in the shootout. Avro missed four, Highfield three.

Halifax Town 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (2001, Football League, Division Three). With a game to spare, Halifax gained the point required to guarantee Football League status. A stay of execution, it turned out. Thankfully, champions Brighton, who rested six regulars, weren’t bothered whether they won, lost or drew. Their fans, amongst a 3,979 crowd, chanted ‘You’re staying up’. Pretty sure this was the game Town’s ex-Darlington striker Robbie Painter contrived to shoot wide from a yard. The only team below Halifax in the table, Barnet went down.

Halifax Town 4 Stevenage Borough 2 (1997, The Football Conference). Victory in a game of unbearable tension secured Halifax's Conference status and long-term future. Volatile striker Mick Norbury, a player seemingly always suspended, scored a hat-trick and was chaired off the pitch by jubilant Town fans. But the game is remembered for Geoff Horsfield’s last-gasp clincher. With the Shaymen, their followers aware rivals-in-distress Bath City had come from 0-2 down at Twerton Park to lead Northwich 3-2, clinging on to a 3-2 lead, Horsfield broke away off a long clearance then volleyed a 20-yarder low past Borough’s ex-Halifax goalkeeper Richard Wilmot. Most of the 1,191 at The Shay ran on the pitch at the final whistle. An outpouring of relief!

Wigan Athletic 5 Doncaster Rovers 2 (1985, Football League, Division Three). One off the 92. First of two visits to Springfield Park, an archetypal northern English ground. Our group of train-bound Liverpool University football following students had a rest from revision to take in this game. 2,660 watching on a balmy midweek evening as Wigan battled the threat of relegation. In the programme, Latics boss Bryan Hamilton wrote: “We are still in a position where every game is a cup tie atmosphere.” Hamilton had just signed a new, three-year contract. Tony Kelly and Paul Jewell each bagged a brace, with David Lowe also netting for Latics. Ian Snodin and David Harle replied for Billy Bremner’s Rovers. Wigan finished 16th.

Huddersfield Town 2 Hartlepool United 1 (1980, Football League, Division Four). Dad and I made our way to Leeds Road to see Mick Buxton’s Huddersfield clinch the championship and pass 100 league goals for the season. As Halifax supporters, not good! An Ian Robins brace - his 26th and 27th goals of the season - was enough to sink Pools, for whom John Linacre replied. 16,807 were present for the celebrations. Huddersfield have never returned to the bottom tier.

Other sports:

Selby 14 Doncaster 29 (2000, rugby union, Yorkshire Cup, Quarter-Final). For reasons I no longer recall, in this momentous year, I took a round-by-round interest in Yorkshire union’s annual end-of-season midweek knockout competition. Glad to ‘tick’ Sandhill Lane before the demolition of its wooden grandstand, from whose bench seats I observed. On a glorious sunny evening, Selby’s red, green and gold hooped shirts were incredibly vivid. Victory for Doncaster set up a semi-final visit to Halifax. Mid-1970s Blue Peter presenters told us 'The Year 2000' would see everybody wearing silver body con suits while flitting about in silent, eco-friendly vehicles. Sporting a fleece, I travelled to Sandhill Lane in a VW Polo.

Attachments

Ellisref

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Early posting as 'she who must be obeyed occasionally' had an early start for work so I thought I might as well get up.

With the seasons nearing their end a relatively small bundle of games,

1979 - Oakwood v Highbury (Islington MW 3) - referee. Played on the shale at Whittington Park, only the top three divisions used Marked Road astro pitches. Stay on your feet at all costs, although the hospital was across road for scraping out any of the horrible red stuff!
1980 - Mayfield Athletic v GWR (SOL Senior 2) - referee. Played at Firs Farm, Edmonton. Not sure if either club or ground exists now.
1994 - New Star Inn v Victoria Sports Reserves (Dorset Sunday 4 Poole & West) - referee. Played at Turlin Moor, a bit of a trip for the away team on a Tuesday night - all the way around Poole Harbour from Swanage!
2001 - Mercury v Longs United (Bournemouth Sunday 2) - referee. A Thursday night game at Civil Service, Kinson, Mercury were a long established local Sunday side ( I recall playing for their 'social' 3rd XI in the 70s). Longs were named after a local chip shop chain!
2007 - A Bournemouth Schools final at Chapel Gate - referee.
2009 - Christchurch v Gosport Borough (Hampshire Youth 1) - referee. Also played at Chapel Gate, Hurn Bridge would have gone over to cricket.

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Firstly a mention of a game I didn't go to, but I spent most of the afternoon and evening trying to get updates of the aftermath. 3 May 2015, London Skolars v Keighley Cougars, which saw the death of my friend, Welsh international Danny Jones. I still miss him terribly.
Danny had complained of feeling unwell earlier in the day, but had put it down to the long coach journey. Four minutes into the game, he signalled that he needed to come off. He collapsed almost as soon as he reached the touchline.
I remember trying to follow updates of the game online, and saw, very early on that the game had been abandoned due to a "serious injury". Later that was reported as a Cougars player, then I read on social media that it was "Danny" but there were two Danny's in the Cougars team, and finally, I got a reply from someone at the game that it was Jonesy. It was confirmed later that evening that he had passed away, aged 29, leaving a young wife and 6 month-old twins. RIP mate.

Now, some games I did see.

Canon League Division Three
Darlington 0-2 Plymouth Argyle

With the World Cup to follow in the summer, the football authorities had been very insistent that all games must be completed by this, the final Saturday of the season, before eventually relenting due to the size of fixture backlogs affecting some clubs. In fact Darlington still had four more games to play after this one, and would travel to play Brentford on the Monday, stopping off at Notts County the following evening. Plymouth had won promotion on the previous Tuesday by hammering Bristol City, while Wigan Athletic had been held to a draw at Feethams, and their fans made the long trip in party mood.

Endsleigh League Division One
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Sunderland
Att: 25,079

A rare season of mid-table mediocrity for Sunderland, though it didn't appear it would be that way in the first half of the season, much of which was spent in and around the relegation zone. Terry Butcher was sacked, Mick Buxton took over and Sunderland steadily climbed the table. Wolves, under recently departed England boss Graham Taylor, still harboured play-off ambitions, but needed to win both their games and hope results elsewhere went their way.
Steve Bull gave Wolves the lead on the half hour, Don Goodman equalising 6 minutes later.

FA Barclaycard Premiership
Aston Villa 1-0 Sunderland
Att: 36,963

I remember this as being the only occasion that I've ever put a bet on at a football ground, betting for Sunderland to win 1-0 and Phillips to score. I never normally bet, certainly not on my own club, as, with my luck, it would pretty much guarantee them to lose, but the odds were tempting. If Sunderland were to win, it would almost certainly only be 1-0, and the likelihood of anyone other than Phillips scoring was remote. The fact that Sunderland hadn't picked up so much as a point for nearly four months was neither here nor there.

Sunderland gave a debut to midfielder Chris Black, probably the most anonymous player I've ever seen in a Sunderland shirt. Marcus Allback grabbed the only goal of the game, 10 minutes from time.

Barclays Premier League
Sunderland 0-2 Everton
Att: 41,313

Nothing much to say about this one. Fairly typical of our performances and results under Ricky Sbragia. Pienaar and Fellaini the scorers.

Midland League Premier Division
Stourport Swifts 3-1 AFC Wulfrunians

An 'end of season' feel to this game. I remember very little of the game at all. A very pleasant evening in Worcestershire, and the birds were in full flight around the ground for much of the game. Heavy traffic on the roads meant that I arrived with only a few minutes to kick off. The car park at the ground was full, so I parked in the nearest public car park, which had been mostly taken over by travellers, and I spent most of the game worrying if it would still be in one piece when I returned. Thankfully, it was.

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Football League - Division One
Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Bristol City
Attendance: 23,585

Last game for the old West Stand before it was rebuilt with executive boxes etc. At the end of the game people were already pulling it apart for souvenirs.

Also the last game in the top flight for City before the club was pulled apart and then 'rebuilt' in 1982.

Of course, the new West Stand has subsequently been flatten and built over by the new stadium. Not sure I can draw another Bristol City analogy with that.

Charity Match
England 'Legends' 2-4 Germany 'Legends'
@ Reading FC

Something to do with a 40th anniversary! Plenty of recently retired professional footballers but also quite a few celebrities such as Boris Becker for the away team.

Totally unmemorable except for the sight a certain BORIS JOHNSON coming on at one point and making a complete fool of himself. Some people might say he acted like a dangerous buffoon, I couldn't possibly comment.

Think Mayor of London Tackling Japanese Boy In Street Rugby, only more so:

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 2.
Orient 0 Leicester City 1.(13,828) City up as champions in front of 10k travelling fans with players stripped. Big Jock Wallace's finest hour in his short spell down south.

Division 1.
Leicester City 1 Bolton Wanderers 1.(18,145)

Welsh Cup Final @ Wrexham FC.
Aberystwyth Town 2 TNS 3.
Adm. £8.(Yale Lower. Mold End.)
Prog. £2.
Att. 1,273

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Saturday May 3rd 1980
Scottish League Premier Division
Hibernian v Aberdeen, 0-5, H.T. 0-2, Att 12,921
At Easter Road

Two years previously I had been at Easter Road on the last day of the season hoping for a miracle that would see Aberdeen pip Rangers to the League title. It didn’t happen. I’d never known anyone apart from Rangers or Celtic being League Champions and like supporters of every other team I didn’t care who beat them.

The feeling going to Easter Road in 1980 was very different. Hibs had nothing to play for. They were already relegated and playing abject football. Aberdeen had a game in hand over second placed Celtic. Celtic were away to St Mirren. Aberdeen knew that even if Celtic won at St Mirren, wins over Hibs and in their final game away to Partick Thistle would secure the title.

The table showed:

Celtic P35 Pts 46 GD +23
Aberdeen P34 Pts 45 GD +27

It was a great excuse for a day on the lash in Edinburgh, not that one was needed. Pre-match would have been spent down in Leith, probably in some of the Go Go bars over lunchtime, maybe Nobles or Dizzie Lizzies. By ten to three we were on the main terracing at Easter Road as part of a crowd that was two-thirds Dons supporters. It was bright sunny day that I recall vividly.

Teams:
Hibs: Davie Huggins, Jimmy Brown, Arthur Duncan, Craig Paterson, George Stewart, Ralphie Callachan, Willie Murray, Jackie McNamara, Bobby Torrance, Ally Brazil and Peter Cormack. Sub Lawrie Teirney
Dons: Bobby Clark, Stuart Kennedy, Doug Rougvie, John McMaster, Alex Mcleish, Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Stevie Archibald, Mark MvGhee, Andy Watson and Ian Scanlon.

Hibs played their part in winning the title for Aberdeen with one of the worst displays I have ever seen from a professional football team. They clearly didn’t try a leg. Many of the players knew they were on a “free” and weren’t going to risk an injury. Aberdeen won 5-0 and it could have been double figures.

Interest focussed on events at Paisley. In those days the “Tranny Man” meant something different to today. Popular figures on the terracing, they kept people updated with radio reports from other grounds. All attention was on Love Street where St Mirren were withstanding great pressure from Celtic.

The Dons goals were flowing. Stevie Archibald, Andy Watson, Mark McGhee and a double from Ian Scanlon were quickly improving Aberdeen’s goal difference. If St Mirren could hold out then Aberdeen would go into the match at Partick knowing that as long as they avoided a 10-0 defeat they would be Champions. Celtic were denied a stonewall penalty in the closing stages – the SFA Referees Brotherhood doing their bit to deny Celtic the title. Newspaper reports described Mr Ferguson of Giffnock’s performance as “bizarre”.

The final whistles sounded and Aberdeen celebrated as if the title was already arithmetically secured. Alex Ferguson ran live a man demented to embrace goalkeeper Bobby old playing team mate of his from Queen’s Park. Even the Hibs fans were happy – delighted to have denied the Old Firm a title. People who think there is some affinity between Hibernian and Celtic are plainly ignorant of football history and guilty of sectarian stereotyping.

This afternoon was the start of a great period in Scottish football history. Aberdeen and Dundee United would be dominant for the next five years with Celtic and Rangers reduced to a supporting act. It had been fifteen years since Kilmarnock had won the League – surely we’d never see a period of Old Firm dominance like that again.

Sadly, that was not to be. Aberdeen won the League in 1985. Since then there have been 34 titles (not including this season) – 17 each to Rangers and Celtic.

Highlights of the game towards the end of this clip:

1980-05-03-Hibernian-v-Aberdeen.jpg

Mark

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 3 May 1986
Burnham Ramblers 1-0 Halstead Town

Essex Senior League Senior Division
Attendance: 25
20 page prog

This game was played at Burnham’s old ground on Wick Road and I believe it was their penultimate season before moving into their current home. I remember the old place being quite open - perhaps this was key to them moving - but it was fully railed and featured two old stands opposite each other on the half-way line. This was Burnham’s first season in the ESL and as ground grading wasn’t as tight in those days it was quite unusual for a new club to have two stands; at the time I assumed they must have played at a decent level a few decades earlier but, as far as I’m aware, this was not the case. Once they’d moved to Leslie Fields, which was a smart new ground for an ESL club, it seemed that the club was destined for better things but they seem to have struggled with a chronic lack of support.

Saturday 3 May 1997
Swalwell 0-4 Newbiggin Central Welfare

Northern Alliance Subsidiary Cup semi-final
Attendance: 30
f&n

Swalwell’s Avenue Ground had been on my horizon for some time - they’d entered the Northern Alliance in 1986, probably after winning promotion from the Northern Combination, but I'd somehow missed opportunities to visit when back home from uni - and I’m pleased I finally got there 12 months before they resigned and, to the best of my knowledge, folded. The ground was one of those places that was well tucked away, sandwiched between the A1, B6317 (Hexham Road) and the River Derwent, next to a car-width bridge that traversed the river to allow access to some allotments. There were single football and cricket pitches there, while on the other side of Hexham Road was Blaydon Rugby Club. The football ground did the job - it was enclosed, railed-off and had a pavilion behind the near goal, with the side on the left featuring quite a large grass bank from which I watched the action while chatting with a Newbiggin supporter about familiar names in the local game.

The historical view on Google Earth sadly reveals nothing about the ground as new houses, in streets named The Pavilion and The Covers, had been constructed by 2001. If anyone is so inclined, the 1945 view shows quite a good image of Scotswood’s old ground. It was a couple of miles north of Swalwell’s ground, on the south side of the Tyne (ie not actually in Scotswood) and very close to the old Scotswood Chain Bridge. They shared the venue with greyhound racing and played in the North-Eastern League and Northern Alliance, but left senior football (probably folding altogether) shortly before the 2WW.

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
another seven on this date, some important ones amongst them, some not....

1980 - Northern Prem - Lancaster C 1 Goole T 0 - undistinguished end-of-season mid-table clash, with a first half goal making the difference. The home team were superior but couldn't finish.

1986 - London Senior Cup Final - Finchley 1 Walthamstow A 2 @ Brentford - good game which went to extra time after Finchley's Nelson equalised in the second half. Finchley finished the better team, but were hampered by an injury in ET ,and the Avenue eventually came through with a header by Bissett. Jim Sheringham, brother of Teddy, impressed for them.

2010 - Hampshire Prem - Sporting Bishops Waltham 6 Overton U 1 - second bottom v third bottom. A decent first-half, quite close, saw the home team lead 2-1, but they ran riot in the second half, with a hat-trick for Luke Musselwhite.

the rest have been reported on in old WDYGs:
2012 - Southern League Prem PO SF - AFC Totton 3 Chesham U 2 - the home side had had a good season, but their manager had just left, and there was internal wrangling. So this was a good result for them. 2-0 at half-time, not exactly comfortably achieved, but useful, only for Chesham to come back and equalise. Moss got what proved to be the winner shortly after, but there was incessant Chesham pressure for the last 20 mins, and a Totton red card, but they got through to the PO final, losing at Oxford City.

2014 - Hampshire Prem - Baffins MR 5 AFC Aldermaston 1 - Baffins champions in their first season at this level, with a long unbeaten run. The visitors only turned up with ten men, then had a player injured early on. But they battled well, and although outclassed, got a consolation goal two mins from time. I don't normally eat doughnuts but remember the one that the Baffins lot insisted that I tried today (they recognised me as a 'regular') was very good.

2016 - Wessex League - Fareham 2 Salisbury 3 - the visitors had won the league by miles, with 105 points, but this was a decent game with the Whites going 2-0 up after 16 mins and Fareham tying it up by half-time. A Walker header eventually won it for Salisbury. Unfortunately the game was spoiled at the end by the sending-off of Fareham keeper Douglas, who reacted to constant 'paedo' taunts from a few inbreds behind the goal by squirting his water bottle at them. They cried foul and the ref showed a total lack of common sense by sending him off. I gave the Hampshire FA a copy of my match report and my comments on the incident but they still upheld the decision.

2017 - Southampton Senior Cup Final @ St.Mary's - Team Solent 1 Sholing 3 - TS has won the last two finals, and the first half here was pretty even (and good), but a penalty early in the second half, plus a red card soon afterwards, turned the game in favour of Sholing. I got a comp ticket and an invitation to a buffet and to listen to Wayne Shaw. I did have to wear a suit, though.

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Extensive Sunday morning research leaves me with 12 matches to write about.

1988: Wimbledon 1 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday First Division Att: 7,854
My fourth of five visits to Plough Lane. The attendance for this Tuesday evening match was boosted by people like me, as I was subsequently able to go back to Plough Lane a couple of days later and exchange my ticket stub from this match, plus some cash, for an FA Cup Final ticket. I stood in front of the old Clapton Orient stand on the south side of the ground.

1993: Crystal Palace 'A' 1 - 3 Leyton Orient reserves President's Cup Final Att: c.150
My 11th of 15 visits to Selhurst Park so far. It was Bank Holiday Monday and I remember cycling from Leyton to Norwood for this one, and presumably back again afterwards. It was a very low-key match, with the bulk of the small crowd supporting the O's; it clearly hadn't registered on Palace fans' radar at all. We could sit anywhere we liked in the Main Stand, so I chose Ron Noade's seat in the directors box (as he seemed to be absent), until shooed away by a steward at half time. Rare silverware for the O's.

1994: Oakwood 2 - 3 Bexhill United Sussex League Att: c.35
My first of two visits to this little ground which is a fairly short walk from Three Bridges railway station.

2003: Reading Town 0 - 2 AFC Wimbledon CoCo League Att: 1,067
The riverside walk from Reading station allowed me to reminisce to my disinterested travelling companions about about Reading Festivals in years past. But when we got to the ground it was clear that the Scours Lane Stadium was not used to handling crowds of this size. My only visit here.

2007: Crescent Rovers 0 - 1 Warlingham CoCo League Att: c.38
My only visit to Wallington Sports & Social Club, which is a short bus ride from East Croydon. It has a fairly attractive, cricket pavilion-type structure behind one goal which contained a bar. All a bit run-down at the time of my visit and I remember this as a very low quality, typically end of season sort of match.

2008: Leyton Orient 3 - 1 Bristol Rovers League One Att: 5,132
Nope. I don't remember a thing.

2009: Boussu Dour Borinage 1 -1 Diegem-Sport Belgium Level 3 Att: 500
An early start from St Pancras saw Dave S and me on the Disneyland Express and we were the only people to disembark at Lille, changing trains a couple more times and meeting Robert S along the way to end up in the old Belgian coalfields for this match. The Stade Robert Urbain is a likeable old place, redolent of better times with bigger crowds. A supporters brass band played on the grass bank in front of the bar behind one goal. So we stood near them to watch this, pints in hand.

2009: FC Tubize 1 - 1 RSC Anderlecht Belgium top division Att: 7,000
Onward by train from Boussu for this one. A Saturday night live TV match, so I christened the home team the Telly Tubize, in honour of my then favourite UK TV show. The Stade Leburton is not a big place and was bursting at the seams with 7,000 in. No match programme issued (sad face).

2010: Long Buckby 5 - 0 Boston Town United Counties League Att: 79
A day out by train with a couple of friends to drink some beer and tick off a ground none of us had been to before. I've an idea that we had some sort of promotional railway ticket.

2014: MK Dons 1 - 3 Leyton Orient League One Att: 9,965
There is not much to like about MK Dons. But their stadium is quite decent and this result put a smile on a lot of faces.

2018: May & Baker 2 - 2 Catholic United Essex Olympian League Att: c.79
A bit of a Groundhopper Fest at Barking Rugby Club for this one - football became the third sport I've watched here, following two rugby codes. The tinny stand on the north side was new since my previous visit, so I sat in there. Most others present did not get far beyond the bar.

2019: VfB Hallbergmoos 2 - 0 FC Deisenhofen Landesliga Bayern Staffel Sudost Att: 519
My first match in this league, played at an upwardly mobile club located in a village just south of Munich Airport. Halbergmoos has a stop on the S-Bahn, but I rather underestimated the onward walk to the Stadion am Airport and cut my arrival a bit fine. Luckily I worked out the bus times for the return journey. The stadium is in a larger recreation ground at the edge of the village, fully-enclosed with everything appearing modern. Almost all of the good-sized crowd gathered in the single stand. A good game, with the majority of those present very happy with the outcome as promotion beckoned for the home club.

My records also show that I attended Lokeren v KAA Gent on this date in 1990. But that was a Thursday and the game I went to was on a Sunday, so something is amiss.

Mark Hardy

Junior Team Starter
Billericay TownFarnborough Town03.05.861-2Vaux-Opel League
Farnborough TownTelford United03.05.970-2GMVC
CB HounslowStaines Lammas03.05.101-2CCL Div 1
KnaphillFarnborough North End03.05.111-1CCLDiv1
Treowen StarsBridgend Street03.05.142-1Welsh League Div 3

martin55

Junior Team Regular
Friday 3rd May 1991
Waterton Cross, Bridgend
Abacus Welsh League Division One
SOUTH WALES POLICE v CARDIFF INSTITUTE 0-1

On the way down to the West Country for a family visit this match (being almost on route) made a good stopping point. It was a 6pm kick-off on a gloriously sunny evening. A 17th minute goal settled the game. No admission charged and no programme.

The ground was part of the Waterton Cross sporting complex used by the Police. The rugby ground near the roundabout had, and still has, a large stand and floodlights. The football ground just south of this and was just a railed pitch with a small pavilion.

I have no note of an attendance, but I don’t think it was very many.

Cardiff Institute (after a few name changes) became what is todays Cardiff Met FC. The Police team lasted until mid season 1999-2000 before folding as a Saturday side. The pitch has since been partially built over.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1977 Blades 1 Millwall 1 L2 Att 11,129
1980 Grimsby 4 Blades 0 L3 Att 19,566 Grimsby won league title but we still outsung them for 90 mins.
1986 Crystal Palace 1 Blades 1 L2 Att 6,375
1988 Denaby United 2 Emley 2 NCE Prem.
1993 Frecheville 3 Wath Saracens Athletic 0 County Senior Prem.
1994 Oldham 1 Blades 1 PL
1997 Nostell MW 1 Knaresborough Town 2 West Yorks. League Prem.
1999 Daisy Hill 0 Oldham Town 5 NWC 2
2001 Morpeth Town 3 Peterlee Newtown 0 NL1
2003 Hall Road Rangers 1 Mickleover Sports 3 NCE 1
2004 Royton Town 1 Stockport Georgians 0 Gilgryst Cup Final @ Elton Vale
2004 Hallam 1 Mickleover Sports 0 NCE League Cup Final @ Buxton
2006 Styal 3 Knutsford 1 Mid. Cheshire
2008 Ripon City 1 Knaresborough Town 2 West Yorks. Prem.
2012 Cumberworth 1 Kirkheaton Rovers 2 Hudd. & Dis. 2 Att 25
2014 Blades 2 Coventry 1 L1
2015 Blades 1 Chesterfield 1 L1
2016 Britannia Sports 3 Hepworth United 1 Hudd. & Dis. 1 Att 41
2017 Alnmouth United 1 Wallsend Labour Club 5 Northern Alliance 1 Att 5

Rugby League
2010 Eagles 64 Whitehaven 24 @ Bramall Lane Att 1,301

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Oodles of games at all levels and many multi game days with most being found by our own intuition rather than organised hops. The highlight had to be the Magic Weekend in Edinburgh and a great way to tick the ground. Sorry but RL v RU was no contest – RL wins every time for me, although I have since learnt t appreciate RU much more than I used to, but perhaps that says the game has improved and learnt from league in some way. Less of the kick and clap now a days I feel. Just an opinion – some will disagree.

Tetley Walker West Cheshire League Pyke Cup Final (@ Vauxhall Motors FC)
Cammell Laird v Christleton 5-4 (aet 90 mins 3-3)
Banks's Brewery League Division One Knypersley Victoria v Hilltop Rangers 1-0
1994 North West Counties League Division Two Westhoughton Town v Castleton Gabriels 2-3
1995 Mid Cheshire Senior Cup Final Winsford United v Northwich Victoria Won 0-2
1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Mold Alexandra v Carno 3-0
1997 Banks' Brewery West Midlands League Division One North
Morda United v Wolverhampton Casuals Res. 1-5
1999 JJB Sports Super League IV Warrington Wolves v Sheffield Eagles Won 40-4
2000 Springbank Vending Midland League Vale Juniors v Adderley Green 4-4
2001 North West Counties League Division Two Bootle v Warrington Town Won 1-3
I think that might have been the season they spent at Kirkby Leisure Centre. An interesting venue!!!
You imagined it might have been similar to some eastern European areas pre the Iron Curtain falling, but that was only the way it seemed at the time, without ever having visited such areas in Europe. It did not have a tourist office!!!
2002 Mid Cheshire Senior Cup Final
Northwich Victoria v Congleton Town Won 1-1 (4-3 penalties) (aet 90 mins 0-0)
2003 Wade Associates Northern Alliance Premier Division Carlisle City v Walker Central (T15) 0-2
Gloucestershire County League Almondsbury v Patchway Town 0-2
Icis Midland Combination Division Two v Fernhill Heath Sports v Earlswood Town 1-9
Icis Midland Combination Division One Polesworth North Warwick v Kenilworth Town 6-0
2005 South Lancs. Counties Wilf Hickson Memorial Cup Final (@ Robin Park Arena)
Pilkington v Warrington Town Youth Lost 5-4 (Golden Goal – aet 90 mins 4-4)
Probably the only time I have ever seen this event in football.
2007 Nizam Druid Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division Two
Llay Welfare Reserves v Venture Community 3-3
(by 2007 the only chance of seeing a game at the old Llay RBL ground, that club having folded some years earlier)
Sport Italia West Midlands (Regional) League Division Two Bentley Youth v Powick (T119) 1-0
FA Carlsberg National League System Cup Final (@ Coventry City FC)
Midland Football Combination v Southern Amateur League 1-1 (2-4 penalties) (aet 90 mins 1-1)
Engage Super League XIII Round Eleven (@ Murrayfield) Hull FC v Castleford Tigers 24-16
Engage Super League XIII Round Eleven (@ Murrayfield) Catalan Dragons v Leeds Rhinos 16-36
Engage Super League XIII Round Eleven (@ Murrayfield) Warrington Wolves v Hull Kingston Rovers Lost 28-36
An absolutely brilliant weekend up in Edinburgh, result aside but it mattered little by the end of the day. Too many ales for my own good but boy were they enjoyed in some fabulous pubs picked from the GBG between Waverley Station and walking to the ground a couple of miles away, then back afterwards to catch a bus to out hotel up near Kinross where we went on the bottled beer.
Surridge Gloucetsershire County League Taverners v Berkeley Town (T207) 1-1
Surridge Gloucetsershire County League Kingswood v Henbury Old Boys (T208) 2-2
2014 Guy Walmsley Solicitors Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Mold Alexandra v Rhos Aelwyd 4-0
2016 Warrington & District League Premier Division Burtonwood Albion v Halton Borough 3-3
2017 Hallmark Security Cheshire League Two Orford v Moore United 1-0

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Offerings for today:

1993, a treble
New Bradwell St Peter v Shillington 1-1
South Mids D1

Mercedes Benz v Scot FC 2-6
North Bucks and District

Leicester YMCA v Cottesmore 0-4
Leicester Senior D1

1997, a double
Buckingham Ath. v Arlesey Tn 3-2
South Midlands Floodlit Cup s/f

Daventry Tn v Rothwell Corinthians 1-5
UCL D1

1999, a double
Eton Wick v Peppard 2-0
Chiltonian Lge

Prestwood v RS Basingstoke 3-2
Chiltonian Lge

Westbrook Wanderers v Westwood 2-4
West Riding Co. Amateur Div 2

Nantwich Tn v Sheffield FC 2-2
Unibond Div 1 Sth play-off final

Shamwickshire Rovers v Barnstaple FC 4-3
N.Devon Prem

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 3rd May 2003 noon kick off
Cambridgeshire League Division 1b (third tier of league
Milton v Hundon @ Sycamore Recreation Ground Milton nr Cambridge
Score 3-4 ht 1-1 Attendance 22 h/c free admission no paperwork
A trip from Kent up the M11 to Cambridge calling in at Rainham on the
way to collect Roland Reeve. This match kicked off at 12 noon due to
cricket being played on the site in the afternoon. Hundon had to win the
game to finish as runners up in the division and game promotion.
The match was a good one Hundon led after a fumble by the Milton
keeper, Milton levelled with a breakaway goal before half time
In a exciting second half Hundon led two one before Milton equalized
and then led 3-2 with a fine overhead goal. Hundon made it 3-3
with a text book headed goal and then got the winner when a cross evaded
everyone before it was tapped in from close range.
The pitch was roped on all 4 sides but there just grass standing.
No refreshments were available but a large supermarket was close to
the ground.

Saturday 3rd May 2003 kick off 1500
Eastern Counties Division One
Godmanchester Rovers v Haverhill Rovers @ Bearscroft Lane
Score 0-4 ht 0-0 Admission £2 Programme £1 attendance 35 or so
After Milton had ended it was back to the M11 again and on to Godmanchester.
A very poor first half where nothing of note happened was played out
on a poor pitch. A better second half saw Haverhill take the lead as a result
of a poor goal kick. A second goal quickly followed. It was 3-0 when
the Goddy keeper fumbled a shot and the ball was tapped in from
the rebound, To complete a miserable defeat for Godmanchester
it was 4-0 when a Goddy player miskicked into his own net
Godmanchester had moved here in 2002 and the ground was still
in a development stage and has probably changed a bit since then

Saturday 3rd May 2014
Kent County Division 3 East kick off 1445
South Darenth v Hawkinge Town @ Westminster Fields South Darenth
score 3-1 ht 2-0 free admission no paperwork attendance around 20
This match fitted in well with my plans to attend Lakeside speedway in
the evening. The match pitted the top two sides in the division think this
the last game of the season for both. Hawkinge were assured of the
title and South Darenth the runners up spot whatever happened.
Hawkinge though were unbeaten in their 17 league matches until this
game which they proceeded to lose 3-1 for their only league loss
of the season.
There was not a lot in the way of facilities here other than the dressing room
block and the game was played on a unroped pitch. There was enough room
for two pitches on the site. On a sunny spring afternoon this was a pleasant
space to watch football but I would not have wanted to be here on a cold
winters day, though matches were often off in winter anyway as the site was
prone to waterlogging.
South Darenth resigned from the league midway through the 2017/18 season.
Kent 43 tells me that Dartford Celtic of the Sevenoaks League currently
play here.

speedway 3rd May 2014 start 1945
Lakeside v Coventry
Score 51-44 Admission £14 (over 60 ) programme £3 attendance around 600
Lakeside led the match from start to finish Peter Karlsson scoring 12
and Davey Watt 10 plus a bonus. Hans Andersson top scored for Coventry
with 17 points from 5 rides

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
2017 Team Solent 1 Sholing 3 Southampton Senior Cup FINAL @ St Mary's Att: 748
In the end an easy win for Sholing and a cheap way for me to tick St Mary's too.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks