More Wiltshire League Queries

Bramley2

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Farsley Celtic, Bristol Rovers, Stranraer
Trying to make sense of the clubs making up the Wiltshire Premier League in the 2010s.
Seems to be a league where it's difficult to work out whether clubs are independent or Reserve or Youth teams for other clubs

So here goes
Are Vale of Pewsey the reserve side of Pewsey Vale?
Are FC Chippenham Youth the same as the current team of that name?
Are Wilts Calne Town part of the Calne Town set up?

Seems to have a level of complexity no other league can match and reflects my only football watching experience in Wiltshire the notorious Malmsbury v Oldland game which was abandoned after 5 home sendings off + the Asst Manager.

Any help gratefully received

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Trying to make sense of the clubs making up the Wiltshire Premier League in the 2010s.
Seems to be a league where it's difficult to work out whether clubs are independent or Reserve or Youth teams for other clubs

So here goes
Are Vale of Pewsey the reserve side of Pewsey Vale?
Are FC Chippenham Youth the same as the current team of that name?
Are Wilts Calne Town part of the Calne Town set up?

Seems to have a level of complexity no other league can match and reflects my only football watching experience in Wiltshire the notorious Malmsbury v Oldland game which was abandoned after 5 home sendings off + the Asst Manager.

Any help gratefully received
Cautiously...here's what I can dig up/remember
  1. Vale of Pewsey were the Wiltshire Senior League side from 2011 to 2016 when they were re-named Pewsey Vale Development. As the nomenclature seamlessly moved from one to the other, I think is is safe to assume that both operated in a similar relationship to the Senior team.
  2. What we do know is that there was a Wiltshire League side running in parallel with the Senior side from 1993 to 2009 whilst it was in Western/Hellenic existence and was known as Pewsey Vale Reserves.
  3. The Senior side was relegated back to the Wilts Senior Premier for one season (2009-10) and promoted out again in 2010-11. The Reserves dropped into the Junior Division (when Wilts had 3). In 2010-11, the Reserves moved back up to the Premier as Vale of Pewsey once the Senior side had returned to Step 6.
  4. FC Chippenham Youth I don't think were attached to Chippenham Town. There is a team of that name in the U-18 Youth League, they play at Stanley Parkand are not associated at all. Chippenham Town has its own U-18 team in the same League and they play at Hardenhuish. Chippenham Park were a side that were members of Western One for a time although I believe that they were an independently run affair with no direct link to the (then) Southern League side even though they played at Hardenhuish. They disbanded 2-3 years ago.
  5. In relation to 1-3 above, I believe it is a similar story with Calne. They were known as Calne Town Reserves until 2011 when they changes to Calne Town Wilts. They folded their Wilts League side (which had an almost identical badge to the Senior side) in 2016 to concentrate on the U-18's. They have resurrected their Reserves who now play in the Trowbridge & District Premier.
HTH

Last edited:

Bramley2

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Farsley Celtic, Bristol Rovers, Stranraer
Thanks for that comprehensive response. Really helps in understanding the set ups. can't understand why teams don't just use the term reserves

Much appreciated

Derek

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Thanks for that comprehensive response. Really helps in understanding the set ups. can't understand why teams don't just use the term reserves

Much appreciated

Derek
Some do and have done consistently and for long periods of time (Melksham, Devizes and Corsham). The machinations of the Wiltshire League(s) is a tortuous one; I played at the end of the old Wilts Combination days and there were literally clubs everywhere. I played for Bromham (which had a Senior, Reserves and a Youth team) which was (then) a tiny hamlet. All the Works teams have gone, of course and Swindon teams have all left (as has Swindon itself from Wiltshire Council jurisdiction even though its still in the FA).

If you're interested the Wilts Senior League website has a pocket history of all the shennanigans...it's a work in progress but a good read

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Don't forget AFC Amesbury Town, AFC Bradford Town, RGV Shrewton ...

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
TBF there are loads...you could do one of those Pete Frame family trees like they used to do with bands in the NME

redfred

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland, Darlington
Some do and have done consistently and for long periods of time (Melksham, Devizes and Corsham). The machinations of the Wiltshire League(s) is a tortuous one; I played at the end of the old Wilts Combination days and there were literally clubs everywhere. I played for Bromham (which had a Senior, Reserves and a Youth team) which was (then) a tiny hamlet. All the Works teams have gone, of course and Swindon teams have all left (as has Swindon itself from Wiltshire Council jurisdiction even though its still in the FA).

If you're interested the Wilts Senior League website has a pocket history of all the shennanigans...it's a work in progress but a good read
Interesting piece on the history of the Wiltshire League. A couple of years ago i asked if anyone had the tables of the original Wiltshire League, not the Premier League/Combination. 1959/60 to 1974/75. Still wondering if anyone can help. Many thanks.

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Interesting piece on the history of the Wiltshire League. A couple of years ago i asked if anyone had the tables of the original Wiltshire League, not the Premier League/Combination. 1959/60 to 1974/75. Still wondering if anyone can help. Many thanks.
I've been after the same but the records are elusive.

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Do you think it would be worth while contacting the Wiltshire F.A., or would i jut be wasting my time?
I would have thought the Senior League may be a more likely route. Melksham's old club secretary is on the Wilts FA and I see him regularly, so I'll ask if he knows. I'll keep you posted.

redfred

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland, Darlington
I would have thought the Senior League may be a more likely route. Melksham's old club secretary is on the Wilts FA and I see him regularly, so I'll ask if he knows. I'll keep you posted.
Many thanks.

pitch 63

Junior Team Star
Fred

Do you mean the attached

Attachments

redfred

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland, Darlington
Fred

Do you mean the attached
Richard. I believe the tables, 1959/60 to 1974/75, on your attachment are the Wiltshire Premier League/ Combination, Not the Wiltshire League. I made the same mistake years ago before i was corrected on here.

pitch 63

Junior Team Star
Richard. I believe the tables, 1959/60 to 1974/75, on your attachment are the Wiltshire Premier League/ Combination, Not the Wiltshire League. I made the same mistake years ago before i was corrected on here.
Thanks

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks