National League 2019/20

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
The National League have confirmed that Barrow AFC have been crowned champions of the National League on a PPG. If ratified by the FA then barrow will return to the EFL after an absence of 48 years. King’s Lynn Town and Wealdstone will be promoted as champions of National League North and South respectively.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
The National League have confirmed that Barrow AFC have been crowned champions of the National League on a PPG. If ratified by the FA then barrow will return to the EFL after an absence of 48 years. King’s Lynn Town and Wealdstone will be promoted as champions of National League North and South respectively.
Quite right too. It's what ppg was conceived for.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Tattersall patting himself on the back for the "overwhelming majority", presumably still oblivious to the fact that PPG is almost always guaranteed to win a vote of the self interested. A bit like Putin!

Mindful of the Hearts/Partick case, I imagine the FA's lawyers will be looking closely at potential unfair prejudice/anti competition before sanctioning this. Though that probably needn't affect promotions. Certainly can't begrudge Barrow a return to the FL after their controversial reelection defeat in 72...an irony that won't be lost on Stevenage or Macc.

So onto the playoffs we go. Still to be seen if anyone drops out. Quite a few ex financial basket cases in that group, some still prepared to gamble tens of thousands on going up (if Alty's figure is to be believed), though Boston did say they're also doing it 'to uphold the integrity of the competition'... After all the scare stories about legions of clubs about to go to the wall, this does all seem rather incongruent. Maybe the clubs can afford it, if so fine. But it'll be interesting to see if, say by this time next year, any of them have had to resort to the begging bowl again.

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
We've not been a "financial basket case" for several years, and have been fairly stable since 2007 when our chairman took over.

Ironically, it's King's Lynn who are the club who've been begging for money!

We are expected to do some sort of fan-funding shortly, but this might be offset by selling season tickets...

Stoney Ground

Ball Boy / Girl
Tattersall patting himself on the back for the "overwhelming majority", presumably still oblivious to the fact that PPG is almost always guaranteed to win a vote of the self interested. A bit like Putin!

Mindful of the Hearts/Partick case, I imagine the FA's lawyers will be looking closely at potential unfair prejudice/anti competition before sanctioning this. Though that probably needn't affect promotions. Certainly can't begrudge Barrow a return to the FL after their controversial reelection defeat in 72...an irony that won't be lost on Stevenage or Macc.

So onto the playoffs we go. Still to be seen if anyone drops out. Quite a few ex financial basket cases in that group, some still prepared to gamble tens of thousands on going up (if Alty's figure is to be believed), though Boston did say they're also doing it 'to uphold the integrity of the competition'... After all the scare stories about legions of clubs about to go to the wall, this does all seem rather incongruent. Maybe the clubs can afford it, if so fine. But it'll be interesting to see if, say by this time next year, any of them have had to resort to the begging bowl again.
There will be and has been many clubs going to the begging bowl, long before COVID 19.
I think it’s far better to reward those that achieved over 3/4 of a season, than give a get out clause to those that failed In that same perio.
Clubs will still pay more than they can afford and get the begging bowl as COVID 19 will just be to blame.

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
We at Altrincham are not a financial basket case either, although we have already had a fans' fundraising campaign which was brought to a halt following its success.

I did have doubts about Chester, following their backer pulling out, but they have also had a successful fundraising campaign, although I still wonder about Brackley Town who are attempting to replace their destroyed clubhouse.
If the government disallow playoffs at this level, it's al irrelevant, though.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sure, trophies for clubs who've won nothing, playoffs for clubs who've achieved nothing and save yourself a relegation battle when you can just dump it onto someone else. All done by vote, so at least that's OK..

Then clubs who didn't want to play now want to play, happy to take a £50k gamble in the words of Alty's chairman. 6th tier of English football. Non league always crying poverty but it can still suddenly rustle up a few bob for a spin of the roulette wheel. Amazing how a pandemic can focus the mind. Or scramble it.

That's besides the unholy row over whether we're 'elite', to get government to allow us to proceed with our gamble. The 'public health is our primary concern' mantra conspicuous by its absence from the debate (actually probably not a bad thing after the cavalier way it was bandied about by the EPL and EFL for a couple of months).

As for next season, PPG still on the cards in case of a second wave. Better spunk the entire budget in the summer, and a bit more assuming we have a cup run to recoup our losses - points in the bag is what matters now, just in case the marathon is declared a sprint (or a game of musical chairs) again. No cup run? Just dump the big earners....and keep the begging bowl handy, just in case. Fingers crossed we'll have a vaccine by then anyway.

As for all the forecasts of financial Armageddon, well, clubs will always have the begging bowl out, regardless of covid, so nothing to worry about there. Plus ca change.

Football needs to be better than this.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
If the government disallow playoffs at this level, it's al irrelevant, though.
Reminds me (getting back to more immediate matters.. ;)), has the VNL now provided the necessary assurances to the EFL that it'll start next season in good time? I think that was a condition of the EFL agreeing to relegate a club from L2 so that too might possibly stymie the playoffs, at least in the top division(?)

thegroundhog

Ball Boy / Girl
Quite right too. It's what ppg was conceived for.
I'm really pleased for the likes of Barrow and Wealdstone. It was the right decision and always was, never any question. It's a shame the FA had to sacrifice steps 3 to 7 in order for a sensible approach to be establiched. It throws into sharp relief what an absolute shambles their knee jerk reaction was for non-leagues 3-7. The likes of South Shields would love to be celebrating along with Barrow, but they weren't afforded that courtesy.

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Provisional dates for Step 2 Play Off games are

Sat/Sun 18/19 July : Eliminators
Sat/Sun 25/26 July : Semi-Finals.
Sat /Sun 1/2 August : Finals.

Last edited:

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
It is expected that the North play offs will go ahead, with us, York, Alty and Gateshead opting to play. Just Brackley and Chester the doubts.

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
It is expected that the North play offs will go ahead, with us, York, Alty and Gateshead opting to play. Just Brackley and Chester the doubts.
It is not as if I will be going, but will Boston have any problems hosting home fixtures with the impending move to the new ground?
York don't appear to have to move until their new ground is ready and has hosted its test events.

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
It is not as if I will be going, but will Boston have any problems hosting home fixtures with the impending move to the new ground?
York don't appear to have to move until their new ground is ready and has hosted its test events.
We will need to find a venue, as neither of our grounds are available in mid-July. The lease at York Street ends 30th June, and the new stadium is not ready. Our chairman has said he has options. I would expect us to "host" our game at a Yorkshire-based National League club - my guess is Harrogate, as it would have no problem in hosting multiple games in a short period, although we might not want to play on 3G. Peterborough has been mentioned this week, mainly through a link with their current groundsman (he was ours until halfway through this season). The National League may just switch the game to the away team's ground. There's still a possibility of extending the lease at York Street for another month, but as most of our squad and backroom staff live in Yorkshire, it might not be ideal.

We don't even have a training venue at the moment, as it is closed (Keepmoat Stadium complex).

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
Thanks. It was hearing you were training at Doncaster which prompted the question, so I thought that may have been the alternative venue.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
If its behind closed doors anyway, why not second ground at Keepmoat?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I'm probably miles behind with events and have looked on both the Chester and Brackley sites, twitter etc with no success. Why the doubt with them competing?

ComradeBT

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Have any of the National League clubs restarted training with their squads? From the matches I've seen so far this summer, in the Bundesliga initially and then this week in the League Two play-offs and the Premier League, most teams look under-prepared. I'd liken it to watching the first or second pre-season game, with players lacking sharpness, a much-reduced intensity and a general rustiness to player movement throughout the games.
If the National League clubs haven't been training then the matches will be exceptionally tough on the players. Results will be dictated by fitness more than anything and as pleasant as it would be for a team/squad of players and management to try and win promotion, if you're generally unfit then the desire will be absolutely diminished. I suspect some players will go through the motions and not really care about the end result - as brutal as that sounds to be honest. When you're unfit and totally ring-rusty, the result is almost secondary to getting through the game without physically destroying yourself.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Have any of the National League clubs restarted training with their squads?
Notts County start what they call 'Stage One Training' on Monday after the squad and the relevant staff were tested for the virus late last week (and everyone tested negative!).

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Provisional dates for Step 2 Play Off games are

Sat/Sun 18/19 July : Eliminators
Sat/Sun 25/26 July : Semi-Finals.
Sat /Sun 1/2 August : Finals.
That is some time from now, so hopefully the finals at least will not be behind closed doors.

ComradeBT

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Hopefully enough time for the players to have a base-level of fitness, if not any match sharpness. There's nil chance of the matches being played in front of spectators.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks