New Shropshire Feeder League For 2020/21

London Harrier

Junior Team Hopeful
Interesting news emerging for football in Shropshire. The effective merger of the Shropshire Premier League and lower rungs of the West Midlands Regional League is a topic I've discussed and championed for some time.

"The Salop Leisure Football League is to kick off in August after the English FA approved the pilot scheme as the first league nationwide that offers a pathway into the National League pyramid.
Shropshire FA bosses have worked tirelessly since submitting an application to the national governing body 10 months ago and the decision to approve the historic new local league was made last week amid a shake-up of the National League pyramid.
The pyramid, which currently includes seven tiers below the Football League, is being restructured at the end of the campaign.
The Salop Leisure League will take clubs currently in the Shropshire Premier League and those in the West Midlands League Divisions One and Two (steps seven and eight).
It will consist of two divisions, the Premier Division and Division Two, with a minimum of 14 and 10 clubs respectively.
Those promoted from the top tier will be able to progress to step six of the pyramid.
The Shropshire FA held a meeting at its Shrewsbury Town FC base, where 25 county clubs in attendance unanimously agreed to become part of the new feeder league."

Full story here: https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/2020/03/04/new-shropshire-football-league-to-kick-off-in-august/

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
Interesting news emerging for football in Shropshire. The effective merger of the Shropshire Premier League and lower rungs of the West Midlands Regional League is a topic I've discussed and championed for some time.

"The Salop Leisure Football League is to kick off in August after the English FA approved the pilot scheme as the first league nationwide that offers a pathway into the National League pyramid.
Shropshire FA bosses have worked tirelessly since submitting an application to the national governing body 10 months ago and the decision to approve the historic new local league was made last week amid a shake-up of the National League pyramid.
The pyramid, which currently includes seven tiers below the Football League, is being restructured at the end of the campaign.
The Salop Leisure League will take clubs currently in the Shropshire Premier League and those in the West Midlands League Divisions One and Two (steps seven and eight).
It will consist of two divisions, the Premier Division and Division Two, with a minimum of 14 and 10 clubs respectively.
Those promoted from the top tier will be able to progress to step six of the pyramid.
The Shropshire FA held a meeting at its Shrewsbury Town FC base, where 25 county clubs in attendance unanimously agreed to become part of the new feeder league."

Full story here: https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/2020/03/04/new-shropshire-football-league-to-kick-off-in-august/
That seems a sensible move.
Is that 47 step 7 divisions next season? Or have i missed a division somewhere.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
That's a strange claim or am I missing something here?
Are they suggesting that promotion from their new step 7 to a step 6 league is automatic with no application required. Perhaps they have that agreement with the LC or perhaps they do not fully appreciate how things are done at the moment and their claim is incorrect.

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
This does not bode well. A league that is at present a notional Step 9, and a poor one at that, gets bumped up two steps. Two decent Step 7 and four Step 8 Shropshire sides from the WMRL join in. That makes 18 teams, of which three are reserves and one is a prison team who have to play all their games at home behind closed doors. Clee Hill United are having a nice time in the Herefordshire County League - they're top and don't think they'll want to move. Sunday football is dying on its feet in the county, and I don't see many clubs wanting to move over to Saturdays. Not sure who the other seven teams might be: Shifnal Town look likely to be promoted, and I can't really see AFC Bridgnorth, Shawbury United or Wem Town wanting to drop down a level. This might look very nice on the FA spreadsheet but it won't be anywhere near a Step 7 league in quality.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
Is the West Mids league continuing without it's top division or is it wrapping up or merging in with any other leagues does anyone know .

windydcfc

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
This does not bode well. A league that is at present a notional Step 9, and a poor one at that, gets bumped up two steps. Two decent Step 7 and four Step 8 Shropshire sides from the WMRL join in. That makes 18 teams, of which three are reserves and one is a prison team who have to play all their games at home behind closed doors. Clee Hill United are having a nice time in the Herefordshire County League - they're top and don't think they'll want to move. Sunday football is dying on its feet in the county, and I don't see many clubs wanting to move over to Saturdays. Not sure who the other seven teams might be: Shifnal Town look likely to be promoted, and I can't really see AFC Bridgnorth, Shawbury United or Wem Town wanting to drop down a level. This might look very nice on the FA spreadsheet but it won't be anywhere near a Step 7 league in quality.
Another WMRL Prem side mentioned that they heard Wem might drop down from step 6. I don’t know how true this is, or whether they are even considering it.

Gray

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Enfield Town
Are they suggesting that promotion from their new step 7 to a step 6 league is automatic with no application required. Perhaps they have that agreement with the LC or perhaps they do not fully appreciate how things are done at the moment and their claim is incorrect.
I guess they are just saying they will be at step7 and therefore offering a pathway to the pyramid. It doen't say automatic promotion any where . All in line with the FA decision that each county will administer their own county pyramid sitting below the national one. Seems to spell the end of the West Midland Regional league at least in its current format.

andymac

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Market Drayton Tigers,
Stoke City
Interesting news coming from Shropshire FA. I sincerely hope that for the benefit of football in Shropshire it is successful. I did attend the first couple of meetings that Shrops. FA organised with regard to this. Unfortunately I missed the third one due to an oversight on my behalf. I did state at the second meeting that I attended that I wished them well but at that point in time I felt that it wasn't for us, but that might change in future seasons. I consider that we were "Founder Members" of the Mercian League but at the end of the day we had good reasons to "jump ship" and move to the SCSL when we did. What was obvious at the meetings I attended was that there were a lot of Clubs who were not happy at the way the WMRL was run (from a laptop somewhere in France).

One thing that did annoy me after the second meeting I attended, was that my Club (M.D. Tigers) was on the list submitted to the FA as one of the Clubs who would form the League. I found this out during a phone call from the SCSL secretary, who also informed me that the SCSL certainly DID NOT want to lose a Club of our stature.

IF we manage promotion this season it will put us at the same level as the new Shropshire League, and we will have earned it. We could have taken the easy option and signed up for the New Shropshire league. I still think that as a Club we are best served by being part of a well established and well respected league.

Shropshire is a strange county. Large footprint for the available population. I haven't done the sums, but I think we travel less miles in the SCSL than we would in a Shropshire League.

I have a lot of friends at Shropshire FA , and I really do wish them well. Who knows, we may be applying to join their league in the next couple of years. If they ever need my opinion on the way the league should run I would be more than happy to give my views. One bit of early advice I would give is: be as Draconian as the SCSL with regard to fines for what appear to be "minor" failures.

andymac

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
I guess they are just saying they will be at step7 and therefore offering a pathway to the pyramid. It doen't say automatic promotion any where . All in line with the FA decision that each county will administer their own county pyramid sitting below the national one. Seems to spell the end of the West Midland Regional league at least in its current format.
Thats not the point. They said they would be the first league nationwide to provide a pathway.
I know that they did not say automatic promotion but i am speculating as to what they meant by that statement because every step 7 division provides a clear pathway.

derekn

Team{s}
Taunton Town
One bit of early advice I would give is: be as Draconian as the SCSL with regard to fines for what appear to be "minor" failures.

andymac
I assume you meant 'DON'T be as Draconian'?

Dylan's Dad

Ball Boy / Girl
Given that Salop Leisure is a title sponsor, will this league have an "unsponsored" name.........?

andymac

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Market Drayton Tigers,
Stoke City
I assume you meant 'DON'T be as Draconian'?
NO I mean DO be as draconian as SCSL.

When we were in the Mercian League clubs got away with a lot of "sloppy" practices. As an example the last Mercian League AGM that I attended was at the end of the season when we had resigned from the League and had been informed that acceptance to the SCSL was a formality. The rule book stated that every club must attend and I did (round trip of 70 miles for me). 5 clubs who intended competing the following season did not bother to attend. The SCSL have a very tough stance with regard to ensuring a high standard within the league. That was one of the factors that led to us applying in the first place. We were fed up of the "Pub Football" mentality of some of the teams in the league. Some teams would turn up 10 minutes before KO and expect the referee to delay the KO and would moan if they thought the late KO was going to result in a fine. It was not only the teams. Some referees were turning up 5 minutes before KO even though the rule book expected me to hand the referee my team sheet 15 minutes before KO. It's not that difficult to do everything "by the book". Whilst some clubs moan about the level of fines, I have no sympathy with them. Do it properly and you won't get fined. I am proud of the fact that nearly 5 seasons later we have not received a fine from the League.
I know it's only step 7/8 but I sincerely believe that there should be no cut off for certain standards. I think that Shropshire FA need to be doing everything they can from the start to ensure high standards or they run the risk of losing good well run clubs to other leagues as happened with the Mercian League.

Whilst I know we will not be a part of the League from the start I really do hope that The Shropshire FA are successful with this new league.

andymac

Onlooker From Afar

Junior Team Hopeful
Well 25 clubs have committed to it havent they?
This will surely just leave West Mids able to have 1 division at Step 7 if the likes of Ludlow, Church Stretton, Telford Juniors, Newport, Bridgnorth Res etc move over

keneastlancs

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
I follow all levels of none league - I am the fixture and result secretary of the East Lancs football league.
This will surely just leave West Mids able to have 1 division at Step 7 if the likes of Ludlow, Church Stretton, Telford Juniors, Newport, Bridgnorth Res etc move over
if the season is null and void and this still go ahead? they were supposed to be ready for the season after 2019-2020 but that season doesnt exist so should this not wait another season to become real?

Sarumio Whites

Ball Boy / Girl
I guess the big question is can the leagues reconstitute their divisions over the summer or are they frozen in time as they are now and committed to being exactly the same (minus any teams that go pop between now and when the new season begins obviously).

We know that can’t happen at steps 1-6. The story at Step 7 is murkier. Could for example step 7 divisions that have lost clubs during the now voided season full the gap by tweaking the constitution. I.e could Beds County League promote and extra club (maybe the next best finisher in the 18/19 Div One to replace Wootton Blue Cross. And if the latter regrouped in time before the restart, could they re-enter the Prem for the restart. Their resignation of course happening within a now voided season, so as if it never happened.

below Step 7 is anyone’s guess. And that’s where the Shropshire League comes in I guess. But the West Mids Div One Shropshire sides are members of a League at an official FA step, that if the FA says must remain as was for the coming season, then Allscott and Wellington Ams could not leave. The WMRL will also campaign for their current DIv Two to be retained for another year as it’s planned final season has just been voided and the creation of a Shropshire League now would decimate the division and will leave the likes of Warstones and Walsall Town Swifts with absolutely nowhere to go for the coming season.

im sure some leagues entirely below step 7 that have been decimated by resignations during the now voided 19/20 season will use this opportunity to rejig their divisions. Ie can’t see the Brighton & Worthing League restarting with a top division of six clubs!!! They may well choose to (and be allowed to) consolidate to one division for the restarted campaign. But anything affecting step 7 and above, I can’t see any large scale rejigs happening, other than a few random infilling placements.

Onlooker From Afar

Junior Team Hopeful
Re Allscott and Welly Ams - Surely no reason even if West Mids Div1 carried on as per this season in respect of a 'Step 7' FA league, then these teams having applied to NW Counties couldn't actually end up going there in the way that St Martins and FC Oswestry were able to apply and move over a few years ago?

andymac

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Market Drayton Tigers,
Stoke City
The way I understand it is as follows. This is purely based on what I hear from SCSL. Whilst this season has been declared Null and Void, each league does have some latitude with regard to their constitution. As an example, SCSL during this last season have lost 2 teams in their Premier division who have folded. (Stone Dominoes and Tunstall Town). The league could therefore bring in 2 more teams to replace them before the start of season 20/21 to be at the minimum required number of teams for step 7. Since nobody knows when the next season is likely to start they are reserving judgement as to the route they will take. Stone Doms and Tunstall Town disappeared earlier in the season before the present crisis hit. It is likely that other teams will disappear and no-one knows what the League's membership might look like come the AGM. As a precaution I have already tendered our resignation from the SCSL. Hopefully we will be in a position to carry on next season but who knows where we we will be when this crisis ends. I just wanted to make sure that if as a result of the current situation we were not in a position to field a side next season we would not be at risk of financial penalties. With regard to the new Shropshire feeder league, if the clubs that are going to be founder members tendered their resignation to the leagues that they currently belong to before the date in their handbooks as we were encouraged to do by the Shropshire FA a few months back, then there should not be an issue with them starting next season in the league of their choice.

andymac

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
Why is he calling it pioneering.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks