Step 6 promotion applicants from step 7

footylover

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Newcastle United
Can I throw in a Monkey Wrench ( adjustable spanner ) into the pot about 3 Elephants in the room in the Northern League. Here goes - Currently there are 3 teams kicking off home games at 2pm because they have floodlight issues, who are namely Washington, Bedlington Terriers and Billingham Town. There is talk on nonleaguezone.net about Washington moving to another ground for next season, but someone states where they are moving to does not meet Step 6 criteria. I'm not aware whether it does or not, but it seems a bit daft to move to a ground which doesn't as that would make them eligible for relegation to Step 7. Secondly re: Bedlington Terriers - All I know is they had around half of the bulbs in their floodlights not working so have some expensive work to carry out to get back to normal. I'm hoping that they will be on target to get the work done as they were fundraising before Christmas as seen on their social media and that seemed to be going well. Finally Billingham Town - They have put all their issues on their social media. I'm very concerned for them as if they fail to obtain some funds via a grant, they will have to find a minimum of £29000 just to safely reconnect their floodlights. I have all my fingers crossed on both hands that all 3 clubs succeed in resolving their issues, as they need more than my favourite tool (monkey wrench) in order to do this. I dread what failure to do so will bring.
I think everyone wants theses floodlight issues to be resolved. I was at Bedlington a few weeks ago when they entertained Heaton Stannington and tbh i dont think floodlights are the only issue at their ground. It was looking very dilapidated. I dont think ive been in a worse step 6 ground in a while. No atmosphere whatsoever. They do have a very good score board tho. I get to New Ferns park quite often and agree with a lot of people saying the playing surface is abysmal. What i dont understand about this venue is Durham United also play there and kick off at 3.00 , yet Washington are kicking off at 2.00 due to floodlight issues. They were fine last week. Surely Billingham will be OK with their floodlight issues. They are well supported and have numerous sponsors who could help i would think.

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Presumably there's a reason why Washington FC can't go back to the Nissan ground?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Is Albany Park still in existence, (Washington's ground when Nissan played at the Nissan ground)

footylover

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Newcastle United
Is Albany Park still in existence, (Washington's ground when Nissan played at the Nissan ground)
Yes its still there . its in a very overgrown state tho. Could never understand why Washington left in the first place. I remember some fire damage occurred a few years back to the changing rooms but that could have been sorted out. Couldn't get more central to Washington tbh

BillShep

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
City of Liverpool FC
Back to the title of the thread....
Applicants from Step 7 to Step 6

NWCFL have announced this today...

The clubs who have applied from Step 7 are:

Allscott (West Midlands Region League)
Ashville (West Cheshire League)
Crewe (Cheshire League)
Egerton (Cheshire League)
Foley Meir (Staffordshire County Senior League)
Ilkley Town (West Yorkshire League)
South Liverpool (West Cheshire League)
Stockport Georgians (Manchester League)
Wellington Amateurs (West Midlands Regional League)

Plus two new clubs:

Bury AFC
FC Isle of Man

Chris_h

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Newcastle United, Gateshead, Shildon
I think everyone wants theses floodlight issues to be resolved. I was at Bedlington a few weeks ago when they entertained Heaton Stannington and tbh i dont think floodlights are the only issue at their ground. It was looking very dilapidated. I dont think ive been in a worse step 6 ground in a while. No atmosphere whatsoever. They do have a very good score board tho. I get to New Ferns park quite often and agree with a lot of people saying the playing surface is abysmal. What i dont understand about this venue is Durham United also play there and kick off at 3.00 , yet Washington are kicking off at 2.00 due to floodlight issues. They were fine last week. Surely Billingham will be OK with their floodlight issues. They are well supported and have numerous sponsors who could help i would think.
Been about 5 year since i was last at bedlingtons ground
Not been to bedlingtons ground for 5 year and was going to rack and ruin then. Not takeing promotion sure aint done bedlington any good. Does the league not carry out annual inspections to see if grounds still comply to standards?

Dear Drewper

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Redcar Athletic, Middlesbrough
Been about 5 year since i was last at bedlingtons ground

Not been to bedlingtons ground for 5 year and was going to rack and ruin then. Not takeing promotion sure aint done bedlington any good. Does the league not carry out annual inspections to see if grounds still comply to standards?
I probably put my post on the wrong thread here. It was my first ever on here. I think we need to take this across to "Grading pass or fail" because as far as I'm aware all 3 clubs I mentioned have to prove they have or will have working floodlights for next season by 31st March. That's only 6 weeks away.

Bakes

Ball Boy / Girl
It appears not
Morning fellas, as some of you may know Dave unfortunately passed away and the old committee no longer exists so I think its a case of whatever was said many years ago the information hasn't filtered down. We are doing our best in the time we have to make the necessary improvements and hope it will be enough. However we need to first ensure we finish high enough to even be accepted.

JamesF

Junior Team Hopeful
Obviously one for the future, but West Cheshire Leaguers Maghull have announced their intention to return to the NWCFL. They have begun a crowd-funding campaign to finance the necessary improvements to their Old Hall Field ground, which shall include the installation of floodlights, seating and cover.

A little background: Maghull played in the NWCFL until 1999 at this same site (shared with the local cricket club), before they were finally removed from the competition owing to the sparseness of their facilities. It will be interesting to see how their floodlight application is received by the local residents.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
Obviously one for the future, but West Cheshire Leaguers Maghull have announced their intention to return to the NWCFL. They have begun a crowd-funding campaign to finance the necessary improvements to their Old Hall Field ground, which shall include the installation of floodlights, seating and cover.

A little background: Maghull played in the NWCFL until 1999 at this same site (shared with the local cricket club), before they were finally removed from the competition owing to the sparseness of their facilities. It will be interesting to see how their floodlight application is received by the local residents.
I've only been there once and that was for that final game of the season that was their last game in the NWCFL. They played Warrington Town who could have been promoted but Maghull came back to win and deny Warrington promotion (though other results elsewhere also would have denied them in the end).

But I don't remember there being any seating at all at the time - which for me reporting live for Wire FM was annoying as I had to stand near the edge of the pitch and could hardly see what was going on as there were too many other fans around. So based on 20 years ago, it seems as though they would have a bit of work to do... maybe things changed in the meantime - or is my memory playing tricks?

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
No your memory isn't playing tricks. I haven't been there since their NWC days either, pretty sure they only had the pavilion with some cover at the front of it. As mentioned, they'll need lights and seats (or, rather, permission and funding to be in place for these) to be accepted. I'd imagine they might also need to do some more work on enclosing the place, and maybe laying some more hard standing too. So yes, as you say, a bit of work to do! But comparable to many other clubs who've come up from step 7. Pleasant enough little spot too, next to the canal.

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Hants League side Infinity have tweeted that they've achieved the grading to play at step 6 next season. They've also said it's not the ground they've been playing on this season, but haven't said which ground they plan to use.

revandyw

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
West Bromwich Albion / Havant & Waterlooville
Hants League side Infinity have tweeted that they've achieved the grading to play at step 6 next season. They've also said it's not the ground they've been playing on this season, but haven't said which ground they plan to use.
There has been talk of them using AFC Stoneham's old ground.

FLOYD FIRECAN

Junior Team Sub
I visited Maghull last season and the ground is pretty much as it was in the NWCFL days. The cricket club is still there although the playing areas don't overlap and the 2 clubs have separate changing rooms and clubhouses. Obviously the football club would have to be fully enclosed as both clubs use the same entrance from the roadway.
Since joining the West Cheshire League, Maghull have usually finished in the upper reaches of the League but have claimed the title just once, in 2014, having lifted the Division 1 [Pyke] Cup in the previous two seasons.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Star
I will be very surprised if Dial Square FC get anywhere other than Twitter.

Dial Square have tweeted that they are now affiliated to the Surrey FA. In response to a question as to where they will be playing the answer was the Guildford and Woking Alliance League. This is a nominal Step 9 league.

They previously announced that they were sharing with CCL side Abbey Rangers but I've no idea if this is still happening. They certainly don't need a Step 5 ground for the GWAL !

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
I guess any club calling itself Infinity can play anywhere - or beyond! I see in that article they are hoping to build a new ground of their own on part of a housing development near Wickham, not far their old ground in Knowle Village. Better put the lights up before any residents move in and object to them :rolleyes:.

While this thread has been revived, it is worth asking, will there be any promotion from Step 7 to Step 6 even if there are vacancies given that both levels were null and voided?

AndyE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None.
Faversham Strike Force FC is based out of a public park in Faversham, but that venue lacks the amenities required even for Step 7 and so the first team plays in a cage at Sittingbourne Community College. It does have floodlights, but no spectator facilities. I'd be surprised if the school was keen to have, and the football club was able to pay for, the various other furniture that would be needed for Step 6.

And of course, it's not in Faversham. Do the ground grading regulations still have that sentence about the location of the ground in relation to the club's name?
So I wrote in February. It has been announced today that Faversham Strike Force FC are leaving Sittingbourne, and moving in with Rochester United FC (who play in Strood and always have done).

Presumably they'll move in with Dartford when they get to Step 4 ...

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
So I wrote in February. It has been announced today that Faversham Strike Force FC are leaving Sittingbourne, and moving in with Rochester United FC (who play in Strood and always have done).

Presumably they'll move in with Dartford when they get to Step 4 ...
Ridiculous.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks