Thursday 2 July

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
Time to get this going again.....

Þrottur reykjavik 0-2 þor
Eimskipvöllurin
Attendance 311 (hc)
Admission 2000 isk (circa £11)

After a nervy wait for a negative covid test from Keflavik airport, freedom. An afternoon at a geothermal beach, then pre match beers at the superb RVK Brewing Company (13 quid a pint for cinammon bun beer) then a first game in 111 days.

And a classic it wasn't. Became apparent quickly that þor were the superior side and after taking an early lead comfortably held their hosts at bay.

But it was football. And its back!

This was followed by a 5th tier game at the same ground that was actually more enjoyable

SR 4-2 Alafoss

The hosts raced into a 3 goal lead, almost blundered it with a penalty and a wonder strike but got a late 4th for surety. First time in ages I've seen free kick given for keeper running out of box to kick it out but running too far with ball in his hand. 3 excellent non league dogs and 3 noisy alafoss fans in the crowd of 78 made for a very enjoyable evening.

Also really surreal a game ending at 22.56 in bright sunlight, and an hour on sat on hotel balcony overlooking the lake with a beer its still sunny.

Eimskipvöllurin is basically right at the back of the national stadium/where Fram play. Its functional with a reasonable sized stand one side and some stones to sit on and a social club the other. Asked the question by an official why are you here and how are you here.... its football. And we miss football....

And thanks must go to wizzair for £42 return flights. Hotels also ridiculously cheap right now by Iceland standards. Recommended return to the old normal

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Congratulations on being possibly the first paying spectator from the UK to attend a match since 17th March! Looking forward to reading about any more games you may attend during your holiday, although matches in the top division might be affected by any limit the Icelandic authorities put on the number of spectators who can attend.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Time to get this going again.....

Eimskipvöllurin
Attendance 311 (hc)
Admission 2000 isk (circa £11)

After a nervy wait for a negative covid test from Keflavik airport, freedom. An afternoon at a geothermal beach, then pre match beers at the superb RVK Brewing Company (13 quid a pint for cinammon bun beer) then a first game in 111 days.

But it was football. And its back!

Asked the question by an official why are you here and how are you here.... its football. And we miss football....
Well done Sewnapart!

It’s good to see this part of the forum up and running again. No doubt most on here will be looking forward to any other reports you can post from your trip.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. And again, well done and many thanks.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Eimskipvöllurin

And thanks must go to wizzair for £42 return flights. Hotels also ridiculously cheap right now by Iceland standards. Recommended return to the old normal
Not forgetting the £65 / £50 (paid in advance). Covid Test Fee.

Þróttarvöllur when I went in 2016 before sponsorship.
18-00 Fram at Laugardalsvöllur (R/V) followed by a 20-00 at Þróttarvöllur. Walked it easily , yes it's that close.
Eimskipsvöllurinn

PS. Expect you know but the ideal game on Sunday in the top tier to visit from Reykjavik at FH Hafnarfjordur is off as the opposition Stjarnan have been struck with the virus and their next 3 games are off.

Last edited:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
To be fair, the £50 for the test was less of a deterrent than the nerve wracking 12 hour wait for the result knowing a fail equals 2 weeks quarantine.... around 1 in 1000 have been doing so!

Yes, original plan for Sunday was absolutely Hafnarfjordur, along with the 'volcanic ashes', which i thought might be only chance all summer to see cricket. Alas, I'm now doing the golden circle followed by alafoss, so all is not lost!

Fram are now playing at Framvollurin rather than the national stadium as I noticed with it being an option for last night?

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
To be fair, the £50 for the test was less of a deterrent than the nerve wracking 12 hour wait for the result knowing a fail equals 2 weeks quarantine.... around 1 in 1000 have been doing so!
Where did you have to spend these 12 hours? In the airport? Must have been quite unpleasant.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
No. You don't need to isolate between test and results, but are urged to keep 2m from everyone for that time.

So test 930pm
Hotel by 11pm
Results not long after breakfast

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
No. You don't need to isolate between test and results, but are urged to keep 2m from everyone for that time.

So test 930pm
Hotel by 11pm
Results not long after breakfast
So after the test (presumably at the airport) you caught a bus to the hotel, and then you get your result on your mobile phone? What happens if you haven't brought a mobile phone along?

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
You need to give a mobile phone to register for the test.. you register, they send a verification code, you pay and get a barcode sent through which is swiped at the time of test.

And its also very strongly encouraged have the track and trace app (which is perfectly user friendly) downloaded onto your phone.

Yes, the testing is pre passport control at Keflavik Airport

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
So if you don't have a mobile phone with you (I don't always take mine with me when I go abroad) they put you back on the first plane?

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
So if you don't have a mobile phone with you (I don't always take mine with me when I go abroad) they put you back on the first plane?
No idea but i wouldn't recommend trying it. Though no idea how you'd proven you'd paid for the test without your phone so.....

There is of course the other option. Don't have the test and quarantine for 14 days on arrival. But not many are choosing that (for obvious reasons)

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
No idea but I wouldn't recommend trying it. Though no idea how you'd proven you'd paid for the test without your phone so.....
I don't like carrying a mobile around, so I always pay using a PC and then print it off as evidence, before leaving home.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I don't like carrying a mobile around, so I always pay using a PC and then print it off as evidence, before leaving home.
Is a mobile still a mobile if it doesn't go anywhere ?:sneaky:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing if you'd printed off the barcode and didn't have a phone with you, the way around it would be to give the contact details of your hotel. From memory the question on the form was 'telephone number whilst in Iceland' and it is also necessary to give accommodation details so I'm sure if you asked they'd be happy to work out a solution

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Thanks, sounds tempting to go there now but I don't want to have to be in a situation where I have to go abroad every Saturday in August and September, so will have to see how things progress in various countries, including the UK.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks