What are you doing without football?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
I am taking some time to indulge in interests unconnected with football. Lots of reading, catching up on films and tv, and trying to learn Serbo-Croat. Trying to read one “classic” per week - books I think I should have read years ago but never did. Coming to the conclusion that most of them are shite. Binge watching some of the Nordic Noir stuff. Saving a fortune with no football or pubs to go to.

Also working on the 2020/1 Scottish Football Almanac.

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Alas, I converted my paper records to computer last close season - should have held off a few months.

Mostly doing crosswords, reading, playing bridge online and taking a 45-min walk each day.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I am taking some time to indulge in interests unconnected with football. Lots of reading, catching up on films and tv, and trying to learn Serbo-Croat. Trying to read one “classic” per week - books I think I should have read years ago but never did. Coming to the conclusion that most of them are shite. Binge watching some of the Nordic Noir stuff. Saving a fortune with no football or pubs to go to.

Also working on the 2020/1 Scottish Football Almanac.
I have to ask, why Serbo-Croat? Hvala.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Regular
With not much to do on my non-working days (especially with all those public holidays) over the past few months, I’ve taken the opportunity to read some of my large collection of Oxford United programmes. In many cases, it has been the first time I had read the programme since the match day. It’s amazing what you can find out by looking at old programmes.
I have been looking at my old programmes when researching stuff for the Retro WDYG thread. I agree it can be quite surprising when you re-read now something which you thought nothing of at the time. As well as the football related stuff, some of the old adverts, from the 1970s in particular, are fascinating.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
An interesting observation as you don't mention corrupt colonisation at all.
The colonial regimes in Africa weren't corrupt - they just treated the natives badly. The natives didn't have any money to enable corruption to thrive.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
The colonial regimes in Africa weren't corrupt - they just treated the natives badly. The natives didn't have any money to enable corruption to thrive.
I have to say that seems a simplistic and naive view of colonialism. Corruption goes beyond bribery by ‘natives’.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
I have to say that seems a simplistic and naive view of colonialism. Corruption goes beyond bribery by ‘natives’.
I was thinking of corruption in its modern form, as I am sure most people do.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Perhaps a history of the East India Company should be added to your reading list?

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Perhaps a history of the East India Company should be added to your reading list?
Ha ha, maybe you are right Leo, but as I don't have family ties to India, I probably won't do so.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Are your family ties to the whole continent of Africa?
No, but is there anyone you can name who has family ties to the whole continent?

My family (on my mother's side) are from South Africa, but they were part of the English-speaking white community and not the more racist Afrikaans-speaking white community.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
No, but is there anyone you can name who has family ties to the whole continent?

My family (on my mother's side) are from South Africa, but they were part of the English-speaking white community and not the more racist Afrikaans-speaking white community.
No, but you'd rarely hear someone say they had ties to Europe either; it was you who mentioned the continent rather than a specific country.
I hadn't realised that the Afrikaans were considered more racist than the English speaking whites either. What do you base that assertion on?
I've never been by the way so have no direct experience of it....

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I hadn't realised that the Afrikaans were considered more racist than the English speaking whites either. What do you base that assertion on?
I've never been by the way so have no direct experience of it....
Presumably the Afrikaans/apartheid thing and all that led to it. I've spent a few months in, and deal with people from, that part of the world and it's a perception I've certainly picked up on, even decades post-apartheid.

Obviously it was still a bit of daft comment in a minefield of a topic. Which I assume is why you're pushing it. :sneaky:

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
I've also been extending my collection of Barnet programmes from 1965-date back to the day I was born (Feb 1959). Agree the adverts are possibly the most interesting bit, a way of seeing how high streets etc have changed over the last 50 years.

Dave 56

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leatherhead
No great changes here, although I did make my 500th delivery this week. A couple of embarrassing moments so far. Two weeks ago I arrived at the correct road, noted I wanted no.9, parked outside and walked up and rung the bell. Asked the person if he was the name on the label, he looked puzzled and told me that person lived at no.9, walked away somewhat embarrassed as I noted the large No.7 on their wall!

Minor cock up this week, first delivery after lunch, pulled up outside the correct house, opened the rear door of the car and stared at the space where the medicines should be. They were at home I taken them out of the car lunchtime because of the heat! I suppose two errors out of 500 drops isn't bad.

The pharmacist was discussing beer with and couple of days later there was a case of 8 bottles of Titanic stout waiting for me as a thank you for my work.

Happy to carry on for several more weeks. Nice to have a reason to get up Monday to Friday.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Best bit of excitement round my way today was watching the Environment Agency winch a van out of the River Thames. Someone crashed it into the river near my home late one night back in April - a local bloke dived in to save the driver, who then promptly ran away!

It was white when it went in, but green when it came back out...

1591042120963.png

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Are you busy constructing your cardboard cutout to place at Whaddon Road? Do you have enough cardboard?
I do hope so 😎

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Best bit of excitement round my way today was watching the Environment Agency winch a van out of the River Thames. Someone crashed it into the river near my home late one night back in April - a local bloke dived in to save the driver, who then promptly ran away!

It was white when it went in, but green when it came back out...

View attachment 2100
Cleaned the hoover today.

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Had a new boiler fitted yesterday, actually got some hot water now.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks