When will Season 20/21 realistically begin?

Onlooker From Afar

Junior Team Hopeful
Anyone got any thoughts on this ref Covid-19?

Personally I believe we could be looking at the start of October at the earliest.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Non league have kind of sorted that problem pretty much yesterday. There will undoubtedly be issues with clubs but everything is looking good for August.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

OGLV

Junior Team Sub
Non league have kind of sorted that problem pretty much yesterday. There will undoubtedly be issues with clubs but everything is looking good for August.
And we know this how? The government have refused to even set out how we will come out of lockdown, it's a big jump from that to football resuming as normal in August.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
And we know this how? The government have refused to even set out how we will come out of lockdown, it's a big jump from that to football resuming as normal in August.
Just a guess and of course it could be way off but there are no unplayed games to worry about which gives us a head start on the rest. Lockdown ending? Hod's piece of string says it all but even if we went through May(which looks a good bet) and came out in the second half of June then August has to be a distinct possibility for next season with a very short period of PSF fixtures.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
As already mentioned, there's a huge imponderable getting in the way of answering the OP with any degree of confidence!

I read somewhere that UEFA is meeting in a couple of weeks time, a meeting which could decide that holding open the 19/20 season is no longer viable. Given that their current stance appears to envisage the possibility of playing into August to complete 19/20, then if they decide at that meeting to abort 19/20 it must cast additional doubt on whether 20/21 could start in August.

All very speculative. But, as a wild guess, I'll predict 20/21 will start before the end of August.

SuperKev!

Junior Team Hopeful
Too many factors to consider here.

When will the PL, EFL & NL seasons finally end and will there be an expectation that everyone commences the season at the same time?

Even if everyone is ready to go at grassroots level, if the professional game is still closed down or playing behind closed doors will the Government put a block on it for fear that too many people will turn up for their football fix? We may still have some form of social isolation in place.

Even if grassroots football gets the go ahead, will pitches and stadia be fit for purpose after being left inactive for so long? If a club plays on a council owned pitch, how quickly will that local authority prioritise cutting the grass, marking the pitches, repairing the changing rooms/goalposts, etc. given other pressing priorities on their plate?

If nothing can resume until November, December or later will anyone try to cram a league season in at all or will it just be written off and clubs get by with cup competitions and friendlies?

Doubtless there are plenty of other questions that need to be factored in. Got any spare string, Hoddy?

Ladderman

Junior Team Star
Just a guess and of course it could be way off but there are no unplayed games to worry about which gives us a head start on the rest. Lockdown ending? Hod's piece of string says it all but even if we went through May(which looks a good bet) and came out in the second half of June then August has to be a distinct possibility for next season with a very short period of PSF fixtures.
Agree. I still believe schools will return in June, maybe in a limited basis, and things will start to return to normal. I think crowd numbers may be restricted but below step 2 I doubt it'll be an issue

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
I don't see why, say, Avro shouldn't be allowed to play in front of their 40 fans, even with social distancing in place - it's easy for everyone to stand 2 metres apart. (What would the maximum allowed crowd be assuming a 4 sided ground? 300? - which implies Step 4 or 5 and below?) The players can't do this of course, which is why we could still be talking either August or December. I'd go the other way - play the league and scrap all the cups (I already can't see how the preliminary rounds of the FA Cup could be fitted in).

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Regular
Wuhan was locked down for 76 days. This seems to be true. unlike some of the Chinese statistics.

We were locked down on 23 March so 76 days takes us to Sunday 7 June. We should therefore expect to have some sort of relaxation of the lockdown by then, as long as the Government ignores the barmy journalists at their daily briefing who seem to want it lifted yesterday.

What the form of that relaxation actually takes will determine when football can start again. I think that for Step 3 and below August is doable. One issue will be whether old and/or vulnerable people, having been told it's dangerous out there, will actually want to go to a football match. I think that a lot of the public will need to be convinced that it's safe to go out before anything can start up again. It might be worth leagues not rushing back into playing, even if it possible to do so, until the public is happy to turn up.

Brightside

Junior Team Starter
I don't think there will be enough time to fit in a full league season next season.
I think that it will be somewhere around October before crowds can start to gather for non-essential things such as football.

kivo

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Kiveton Park
Sheffield International
Sheffield Wednesday
Think the FA were hasty in ending the non-league seasons.

Looking increasingly unlikely that football will be ready to re-start in August.

Might be looking at November/December.

We could have finished 19/20 season in November/December, then for 20/21, have a half season that runs from January to May.

Each team plays each other once, rather than twice. Draw decides who gets to play who at home and away.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I think they felt they had to call a halt to proceedings.

The words null and void were hurried and unnecessary. Few, if any want the matches scrubbed from the records, even if the seasons are not completed an trophies and medals are not handed out.

Three months after the China lockdown started in earnest, they are still only just beginning to open up and that is with a much stronger lock down than any Western country has managed - and the virus is still out there and there is no vacine. Some reports say that people who have had the virus and it has cleared are showing positive again.

oftenscore6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Agree. I still believe schools will return in June, maybe in a limited basis, and things will start to return to normal. I think crowd numbers may be restricted but below step 2 I doubt it'll be an issue
Since there's no teams being relegated into steps 3-6, those leagues can start totally independently of EFL and Conference. Restricted crowds could be an issue for some step 3 clubs though - if it was set at 500, for example, that's half the number of season ticket holders we have and even all our away games had more than 500 at them, often we're taking that many away on a Saturday. South Shields would also struggle with any such limitation, and Scarborough Athletic averaged over 1000 at home (and would have been playing us today).

philglossop

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Saltash United
There does appear to be some serious planning going on which is starting to filter down to local government who I work for, which is hinting at beginning of June for end of lockdown.

It's likely we'll have the semis and finals of cups from 2019- 2020 here in Devon and Cornwall then just go into a new season in August. But thats dependant on people behaving now and going forward.

Fatbury

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Shrivenham Ebbsfleet Swindon Town Arsenal
It may start in August but then will be locked down - is the next season going to be null and voided as well? In which case why start it? In fact why not just try and finish this season ... utter chaos from the FA

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
It may start in August but then will be locked down - is the next season going to be null and voided as well? In which case why start it?
What do you suggest?

In fact why not just try and finish this season ... utter chaos from the FA
It's already been answered, countless times.

Ladderman

Junior Team Star
There does appear to be some serious planning going on which is starting to filter down to local government who I work for, which is hinting at beginning of June for end of lockdown.

It's likely we'll have the semis and finals of cups from 2019- 2020 here in Devon and Cornwall then just go into a new season in August. But thats dependant on people behaving now and going forward.
I've always thought that they're aiming for the schools to go back after May half-term. That's also when the furlough cash is scheduled to stop. That'll be 11 weeks, which is probably as long as most people will stay inside for - we're already seeing the cretins who are incapable of following instructions.

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
I've always thought that they're aiming for the schools to go back after May half-term. That's also when the furlough cash is scheduled to stop. That'll be 11 weeks, which is probably as long as most people will stay inside for - we're already seeing the cretins who are incapable of following instructions.
Careful, 63 and his Mum might take that personally.
12 week lock down for vulnerable people takes us to 14th June............

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks