When will Season 20/21 realistically begin?

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Am I missing something. Does not the self-quarantine for air travellers only apply to England. Scotland and Wales are doing their own thing regarding lockdown and should they chose not to make isolation mandatory (which for the politically astute Nicola Sturgeon is very likely) cannot air passengers land at Scottish and Welsh airports then cross the border without any checks?
Penelope.
Of course you can travel internally after you land as long as you self isolate for 14 days at the address you've given Border Force Officers and its essential travel.

It's not till June 8 , perhaps you may have read up about it by then and anyone else flying out check the self isolation at wherever your going to.

''You must not leave the place you’re staying for 14 days.''.

Here you go , have a read =https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

I'm sure things will change by then (8th), not necesarilly for the better of the traveller.

Obviously internal domestic travel restrictions / exemptions are changing daily.

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The 14 day quarantine will apply to UK.

The requirement will supposedly be reviewed after it's been in operation for three weeks.

Football clubs are not among the group currently exempt but it's been reported that the testing protocols being put in place for the EPL might be sufficient to be granted an exemption.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
I'm sure carrying out testing will be no problem for the Man City or Real Madrid's of this world but how about clubs like Barry Town & Linfield who are going to be the earliest affected by this . As for travelling to Scotland & Wales to get around this haven't they generally been stricter than England in implementing the lock down . Im struggling to see a blind eye being turned to FC somewhere simply landing at Glasgow airport then driving over the border to avoid the quarantine . Imagine the press reaction .

Burgesshillbee

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Brentford
As the EPL teams are now training and the EFL Championship teams start later this week, we must assume all the players are back in the country so wont be affected by the rules starting on 8th June, unless some of them decide to leave the UK around that time.

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
It's a UK wide requirement.

Who knows what any quarantine restrictions will look like by the time next season's UEFA qualification games kick off. But hopefully they'll have reduced substantially by then.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I'm sure carrying out testing will be no problem for the Man City or Real Madrid's of this world but how about clubs like Barry Town & Linfield who are going to be the earliest affected by this . As for travelling to Scotland & Wales to get around this haven't they generally been stricter than England in implementing the lock down . Im struggling to see a blind eye being turned to FC somewhere simply landing at Glasgow airport then driving over the border to avoid the quarantine . Imagine the press reaction .
Sunny, wherever you land in the UK from June 8 will require quarantine.

With the plans as they stand now.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
When this season finally finishes, the Premier League expects next season to start in mid September after the Nations League (which I'm amazed is still taking place given the travel restrictions). It may cause problems further down the line for all leagues below if they don't start next season by the same time and possibly finish later meaning promoted teams will have less time to prepare for the level above and relegated teams waiting around longer for the league below them to start the following season.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Sub
Team{s}
The Knitters.
It's a UK wide requirement.

Who knows what any quarantine restrictions will look like by the time next season's UEFA qualification games kick off. But hopefully they'll have reduced substantially by then.
Looking like changes are afoot later today on the ridiculous quarentine ruling so common sense might be about to prevail.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Star
In a normal season we have the FA Cup final and the following week the playoff finals and that's it.

But Championship have said that playoffs will be completed by end of July. Presumably if the rest of the EFL and the National League ever come to a decision they will adhere to the same deadline.

So for 19/20 FA Cup final is 1 August. And therefore season 20/21 could in theory start from 2 August onwards. It won't of course.

For a start we need a whole raft of League AGM's to take place and the FA to ratify who is in what league/division next season. Mainly a fait accompli i know, but they've still got to do it. And as the National League AGM is usually first and the others cascade pyramid like from that. not much can happen until the EFL/NL can sort themselves out.

If the AGM's take place in early August ( some lower levels could take place earlier) and the Government give the go ahead to crowds of some size ( which knowing this lot could happen next week!) an August Bank Holiday weekend start would be good. But mid September is certainly achievable.

At least it's something to aim for.

Northstandexile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Until 11 blokes can get changed together in a changing room, then football will not start at Non League Level.

footylover

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Newcastle United
With the announcement yesterday that training can resume in groups of 6 at grassroots then is this not a positive ? I would like to think it is and steps 3-6 may get the season started , maybe September/October 🙏

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
It would at least give some consolation to clubs at Steps 3-6 denied promotion if they were allowed to start next season before Steps 1-2, say when gatherings of 500 are allowed while the National League has to wait for gatherings of 1,000 or 25% capacity to be allowed.

Step 8 and below, Sunday and Junior football should be able to start when gatherings of 50 are allowed; Step 7 and womens football below the National League (level 5) at 100. If they go to 200 before jumping to 500 then Steps 5-6 and Womens National League (levels 3-4) could start then with the Womens Championship at 500 and Super League at 1,000 or 25% capacity.

pokal02

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
There are probably ways to get round the changing room issue (change in their cars?) (change in 2-3 shifts?). I'm more optimistic of at least Step 7 (which doesn't really have to go in sync with higher steps) re-starting in the autumn now. I'm suspecting that theatres and churches may do our work for us - they'er pressing to re-open and once you've let 200 people into a confined indoor space, it'll be difficult to justify not allowing 200 spectators at a Step 5 football ground. Possibly Step 1 & above, and some well-supported clubs below, would have to be ST holders only and no away fans. (I'm assuming 15-20% capacity with 2m distancing, perhaps 25% if it goes to 1.5m.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Sub
Team{s}
The Knitters.
With the announcement yesterday that training can resume in groups of 6 at grassroots then is this not a positive ? I would like to think it is and steps 3-6 may get the season started , maybe September/October 🙏
I'd love to think that steps 5 and 6 can get going in late August and it certainly seems that many will be going without promoting anyone. MFL is seemingly not going to be replacing Burbage for the new campaign.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Until 11 blokes can get changed together in a changing room, then football will not start at Non League Level.
I don't get why the changing room thing is an issue. These guys are going out onto a football pitch and crashing into each other. It's a contact sport. That is surely the problem. not that they can get changed into their kit together?

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
I don't get why the changing room thing is an issue. These guys are going out onto a football pitch and crashing into each other. It's a contact sport. That is surely the problem. not that they can get changed into their kit together?
The risk of transmission in an enclosed space is significantly higher. The air is cycling round the same space several times carrying the tiny airborne droplets that can contain a virus load. There are also all the surfaces that multiple people will be touching where the virus can survive for several hours and be picked up, and then transmitted via face touching afterwards.

oftenscore6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
It would at least give some consolation to clubs at Steps 3-6 denied promotion if they were allowed to start next season before Steps 1-2, say when gatherings of 500 are allowed while the National League has to wait for gatherings of 1,000 or 25% capacity to be allowed.

Step 8 and below, Sunday and Junior football should be able to start when gatherings of 50 are allowed; Step 7 and womens football below the National League (level 5) at 100. If they go to 200 before jumping to 500 then Steps 5-6 and Womens National League (levels 3-4) could start then with the Womens Championship at 500 and Super League at 1,000 or 25% capacity.
Some step 3 sides would have issues with limits of 500 - we (FCUM) have 1000 season ticket holders. FWIW we have done some indicative assessment of social distancing - 2m would limit us to c 650, 1m would allow 1500. It would have to be self-enforcement but that's no different to other environments.

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
Can you not see the difference between 11-16 men getting changed in close proximity to each other in a small indoor room, and 23/25 men spread out across a football pitch, and only momentarily coming into physical contact? The only time on the pitch you'll get a sustained closeness of players, is at set pieces - for about a minute at a time, maximum. You could enforce players to a mandatory shower at half and full time, with a change of shirt.

Resurrection reds

Ball Boy / Girl
Can you not see the difference between 11-16 men getting changed in close proximity to each other in a small indoor room, and 23/25 men spread out across a football pitch, and only momentarily coming into physical contact? The only time on the pitch you'll get a sustained closeness of players, is at set pieces - for about a minute at a time, maximum. You could enforce players to a mandatory shower at half and full time, with a change of shirt.
Worked right through the lockdown and got changed alongside 10 others throughout, if it suits they tell you to get on with it

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks