Where are you going/where did you go - Cricket

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Nice to be able re-start this thread!

Potters Bar v East Molesey
pre-season friendly
East Molesey 71ao (24,3)
Potters Bar 75-4 (21.)

This caught my eye as a meeting of the champions of Herts and Surrey from last season, and at a decent ground in the town. Clearly keen to get back to normal, everyone was ready bang on the stroke of noon and the umpire gave the nod. The PB opening bowler ran in and delivered. The EM opener must have been playing this opening shot a thousand times, first over the winter break then in the enforced break when the season should have started. Maybe a firm drive through the covers, maybe a pull. Opting instead for a solid front foot defensive plant, he missed the ball entirely and turned to see his off stump leaning back, and made his return to the boundary encampment of his team mates, 0-1 (0.1).

Any piss-taking by team mates would have been ill-advised as no-one really covered themselves in glory today, limping along to 71 all out in the 25th, only just avoiding conceding a bowling hat-trick. The hosts took absolutely no chances with their running in their reply, taking almost as long to overhaul it, sometime in the 22nd over but were also pinned back by some of the East Molesey bowling for periods. They did at least finish in style with two consecutive sixes. So a contest that was supposed to be 45 overs each barely made that in total and the teams were having a breather then planning to have a T20 game to fill out the day which everyone seemed to be enjoying regardless of the scores or personal performances.

Nice to be back on a boundary watching some cricket, the new systems seemed to work pretty well. In fact the umpire was saying the game was actually a bit quicker with the instructions to return the ball to the bowler rather than passing it round 6 or 8 of the fielders. Everyone elbow-bumped their congratulations for a wicket barring a few boundary fielders who shouted their contribution, probably relieved not to have to run 90 yards in and the back out again. I did feel a little guilty not stopping a ball that went within a couple of feet of me which ordinarily I would have stopped, but instead involved the fielder having to grope around under the hedge for it, spectators being requested not to touch the ball at all. The players had their 'sanitation breaks' as instructed to go and clean their hands every six overs but again it wasn't intrusive to the game, probably barely a minute each time.

The clubhouse was open and serving drinks but I didn't explore it to see how they were managing inside. A pleasant ground on the other side of the road from the road up to the football ground. The built up surrounds are softened by some mature trees round the boundary, and there are a good collection of benches on the perimeter.

Off to decide where to go tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jim S

Junior Team Sub
Chorley (Northern Premier League) v Littleborough (Lancashire League) Friendly - 40 Overs
Admission - Free Programme - £1 (16pages)

Littleborough - 97 All out 34 Overs

Chorley - 98 for 2 17 Overs

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Chorley (Northern Premier League) v Littleborough (Lancashire League) Friendly - 40 Overs
Admission - Free Programme - £1 (16pages)

Littleborough - 97 All out 34 Overs

Chorley - 98 for 2 17 Overs
Could well have been the only programme to be produced for any sporting event today (this doesn't include the programmes produced for matches behind closed doors) Well done to all those involved.

Jim S

Junior Team Sub
Could well have been the only programme to be produced for any sporting event today (this doesn't include the programmes produced for matches behind closed doors) Well done to all those involved.
Chris. It was their standard 16 page issue, unaltered for the last 10 years. They have been producing for all home games this season! On Twitter for the fixtures that should have happened. So it was not actually a shock when they came round selling them.

ThorsHammer

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Derby County . St Johnstone
Sunday 12th July 2020
Watford Town 104 for 1 (plus 1 retired hurt)
Edgware 103 all out
Watford won by 9 wickets.

Nice afternoon in the sun having a few bottles of lager with my stepson, clubhouse open but took our own bottles.
Attendance did rise to 9 but ended with just the 2 of us.
Played at Woodside which is WTCC home ground.
Glad to watch some live sport .

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Sunday 12th
Long Ditton v Thames Ditton, friendly
TD 142ao (35.4); LD 139-8 (40)
TD win by 3 runs

A very pleasant afternoon at Stokes Field, the well appointed home of Long Ditton, fringed with mature trees that seclude it entirely from the edges of suburbia outside. A leisurely affair, getting going at 1.30 instead of 1 on a glorious sunny day. Fortunately there was always a bit of shade somewhere around the boundary even if you did have to move around gradually.

The visitors made a reasonable score on a fairly slow outfield that held up a number of shots that might ordinarily have gone for four, but lost wickets at regular intervals and didn't see out their alloted overs. I had another opening ball duck to follow up yesterday with a neat drive straight to the midriff of mid-off. This prompted the recipient to hurl his gloves and helmet down on the boundary and storm off out of the ground. But I think that was just to go to his car which was parked outside!

In reply the hosts returned the favour with their own opening ball duck with the ball evading the bat but not the off stump. For most of the innings you would have favoured the chasing team, but as wickets fell the ability to score boundaries dried up and the rate crept up and up, and eventually just outdid them. They could have been 9 down in the penultimate over as the ball was jabbed down by a block but spun back onto the stumps but didn't dislodge the bails.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Derbyshire Premier League Coronavirus Premier Division North

Langley Mill United 193 40 overs
Chesterfield 194-8 36 overs

The Derbyshire Premier League was very quick off the mark to get its fixtures in place and decided to split the top division into north and south sections. Arrived in plenty of time for the scheduled 1.00 pm start only to discover that they had started at 12.00!
Langley Mill is on the outskirts of Heanor and the ground is to be found just off the main road through the village where it is surrounded by houses, and on two sides by an industrial estate, so definitely not the most scenic of grounds. Having said that everything was spick and span at a postage stamp of a ground which appeared to be midway between oblong and oval in size, with the trees just beyond the boundary adding attraction to the scene. Another welcome touch was the large number of benches dotted around the boundary which gave me the opportunity to watch proceedings from many different angles. So small is the footprint here that there is no car park on site - fortunately there was plenty of space on the road in front of the units on the industrial estate.
Newly promoted Langley Mill's openers made sedate progress in the opening ten or so overs, too sedate as it turned out, as their 193 total looked about 30 short of a winning total, and although Chesterfield lost wickets at regular intervals that is how it turned out. Only have Marehay left to do in this league and it is my intention to get it ticked off this season.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
The Essex League has published it's re-jigged plans for the rest of the season:
9 week league season, 18/7 to 12/9 incl., no league cup, but a T20 competition with details next week. The Premier tier is unregionalised, but below that they are, matched for similar strengths as best they could.

League will be 40 overs/innings for all divisions, and the fixtures have been published here:
Essex League Fixtures

I have to be over that way this weekend for a house clearance, so may well call into one of these.

FLOYD FIRECAN

Junior Team Sub
Sunday 12th July

40 over a side friendly 12,00 p.m. start

Oxton [Cheshire County League] 253 - 4 40 overs
Wallasey [Liverpool & District League] 183 - 8 40 overs

Under normal circumstances Oxton would have been hosting a National Counties [formerly Minor Counties] 3 day Championship game featuring Cheshire and Dorset, commencing on this sunny day.

Oxton's healthy total was built around opening bat and club coach Jack Smith. The veteran Australian made 118 before retiring while Wallasey's reply saw their new skipper, Alex Eagles, finish with 83 not out.

The Cheshire County League have split their 3 Divisions into 2 groups of 6, playing 3 teams twice and the other 2 teams once. Double points will be awarded for the games where teams are meeting just once. The winners of each group will play off in a final that will decide the championship. Games can be either 2 x T20 [the default] or 40/45/ or 50 over contests as decided by the clubs. This competition gets underway on Saturday 25th July.

The Liverpool & District League have included teams from all 3 Divisions when arranging them in groups of 4, plus one of 6. There are 3 teams from Wales in the L.eague [obviously a District of Liverpool!] and they are to play with other Welsh teams while Lytham are to join a group from the Northern League. Each team in the groups of 4 will face each other twice [weeks 1-6], week 7 will see 1st play 4th & 2nd play 3rd with the 2 winners meeting in week 8. The 6 team group will face each team once [weeks 1-5] and then repeat week 1. [week 6]. Week 7 features 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd & 5th v 6th with victors of 1v4 & 2v3 meeting in week 8. These games will get under way on Saturday 1st August and will be played under the League Cup rules. All group winners will receive a prize package from League sponsors Love Lane Brewer & Kitchen.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Stainsby Hall v Quarndon
Derbyshire County League Division Two North
Saturday 11th July, 2020
Stainsby Hall 229 for 7 (40.0) Quarndon 145 for 8 (40.0)
[Winning draw to Stainsby Hall]

Like Totallyuntamed, I opted for a trip to Derbyshire who have indeed split the divisions of their league into two on a geographical basis. This gives us the priceless (and not at all confusing :unsure:) scenario of Division Three North being split into Division Three North North and Division Three North South. Pay attention at the back! (The league have also inserted the 'c' word of the pestilence which was visited upon us by the Chinese but I have no wish to enter such a reminder of a ruined season in my records).
The Stainsby Hall ground looked an absolute picture, so top marks to the groundsman who has clearly been very busy during the recess. From one side of the ground you can see for miles over Derbyshire and this was reflected in a fairly stiff breeze which affected most of the ground. Nonetheless it was wonderful to be pitched up at a boundary edge enjoying our wonderful summer game again.
I was slightly surprised to find that the 40 over game included the draw as a possibility, but despite that it was a tremendous effort by the league to get a ten game season up and running at the earliest opportunity.
Some spectators had clearly not read the new rules of spectating as the ball was returned to fielders on three occasions, although I'm sure instinct takes over when you see the ball coming your way and no fielders anywhere near.
Stainsby Hall thoroughly deserved their winning draw and it looked for some time as though they would get an outright win, but the Quarndon tail successfully dropped anchor and saw out the last 10 to 15 overs.
A final award for pun of the day goes to the owner of the rather smart bungalow which is only separated from the cricket field by a tall net. The name of his property? HOUSE ZAT of course!
Stainsby Hall 003.JPG

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Saturday 18th July
Essex League, Premier Tier: Gooch Division
Shenfield v Colchester & East Essex
Colchester & EE 250ao (39.5) Shenfield 175ao (34.5)
Colchester & EE win by 75 runs

On my way back from Wivenhoe, this broke the journey nicely at half way, and the ground is only a few minutes off the A12 so didn't take me far off my route. Unlike the test match, there was wall to wall sunshine on a pleasant ground with a substantial slope on it. The pitch was also right to the edge of the square leaving a very short boundary on one side - the fielding circle plates were only a handful of yards inside the line. The clubhouse was out of bounds, with tables set up at the open doors to provide a bar service, but toilets were clearly signposted with a one way system.

Shenfield won the toss and opted to bowl which looked to be the right idea as the pitch was somewhat unpredictable. Two wickets fell in the second over, the first bowled by one that kept low and in the fourth Julian Russell retired hurt as one rose up and caught him in the side of the neck. A third wicket fell in the sixth. leaving them 19/3 (possibly 4) but then Simon Fernandes got going and underpinned the innings with a fine 109 from 111 balls supported most notably by Denson Narayan (43 inc 4 sixes, putting on 68 with Fernandes) and Oliver Allison (32). After Fernandes fell at 7 down top the first ball of the 39th over, the tail subsided in the 40th, with wickets on the first, third and fifth ball.

Shenfield set off like a train and I thought I might be home earlier than I thought, with a 21 run second over, albeit on that was 11 balls long. The first wicket fell to the first ball of the 6th over which was also the first maiden, the score after 5 being 43/0. Shenfield kept up with the pace until about the twentieth over when the runs really dried up. Wickets had been falling regularly too, with the pick being Charlie Allison taking 4 for 17 from 5. I glanced at the score board at one point to see they needed exactly half their target from the last 10 overs! They spun it out till the 35th over with their best performer Haris Mahmood falling for an entertaining 73 off 79 including 5 sixes from the 3 ball and the last wicket two balls later. An entertaining afternoon, albeit the last quarter of the game falling a bit flat after the best Colchester bowlers had bowled out. But a friendly place and nice spot to watch a game of cricket.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Saturday 18th July (1230 start)
Southern Premier League Cup - Premier/Division 1 West
Calmore Sports 207/7 (40) beat Lymington 98 all out (25.0)
Attendance peaked at 70 - F + N

Excellent win for the Division 1 hosts over Premier Division opposition in the opening round of this one-off regionalised competition. Batting first the hosts made slow progress taking until the 23rd over to pass 100 but had only lost two wickets, a close range catch in the 7th over and an lbw in the 14th. A run-out in the 25th was a sporadic success for the visitors before taking 4 more wickets in the last 7 overs but one man, Ben Johns, stayed in to score 115 of the hosts runs including 4 sixes. Lots of breaks for drinks and to clean the ball after being touched and returned by spectators meant it took 3 hours to complete the 40 overs. Lymington made a bad start to their innings losing two early wickets to low diving catches, then Guernsey FC and former Cherries U21 goalkeeper Callum Stanton (who spotted the Guernsey holdall I bought on my visit to Footes Lane last October) got in on the act with another catch for the 3rd wicket. It went from bad to worse for the visitors, who are blooding some youngsters to gain 1st team experience in this competition, as they collapsed without even reaching 100 with the last wicket falling in the last ball of the 25th over. Not too knowledgeable on how the points system works but Calmore got 22 from this match (12 game, 5 batting, 5 bowling) to Lymington's 4 (all bowling).

Loperwood Park is a lovely rural setting surrounded by trees all the way round which made it quite a sun trap but the main road (south) side appears to be permanently in the shade even when the sun is at its highest so the ideal place to watch if you want to escape the heat. Apart from the pavilion, one house in the south west corner overlooks the ground.
IMG_20200718_122346.jpg
Had to sign in on arrival and give contact details in case of an outbreak while only contactless card payments were accepted behind the bar. May well watch Calmore again next Saturday when they visit New Milton.

Last edited:

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 18th July 2020
Friendly 50 overs a side
Swardeston v Fakenham at the Common Swardeston
Scores Swardeston 361 for 8 Fakenham 186 all out 49,2 overs
Admission free Raffle ticket £1 Attendance peaked at about 175
A very comprehensive victory for Swardeston but I didn't mind as
it was my first cricket since 16th September 2019 when I had seen
Swardeston win at Lords in the National Club final. It was just so
lovely to again be able to sit in the sun watching cricket with my flask of
tea and sandwiches, The highlight of the Swardeston innings was Joe
Gatting's 101 not out off 50 balls which included 4 x 4's and 10 x 6's.
Six of Gatting's sixes came off one over from the bowling of Will
Buckingham whose figures were 0 for 61 from 3 overs !
This was the second time I had seen six sixes from one over, the
previous time had also been by Joe Gatting at Swardeston in
a National Club match v Ramsey in May 2016.
A day that was just wonderful to be out watching cricket again.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Sunday 19th July
Byfleet v Spelthorne Sports, friendly
Spelthorne 169-9 (40), Byfleet 160-6 (40)

Just called into a couple of hours of this between a couple of jobs out and about.
I arrived with Spelthorne 30-0 off 10. A rapid acceleration followed doubling the score in about 3 or 4 more. Some entertaining batting and bowling in their innings to post a reasonable target on a slow outfield after some overnight rain. I had to leave at the break, but Spelthorne tore into the hosts and had them 32-5, but then a 100 partnership left them needing 26 off the last four, but some parsimonious bowling saw them home by 9.

The Parvis Road ground is pleasant enough with oak trees lining two and a bit sides of it, and lots of space either end of the boundary. One side is hard up against some back gardens with a ferocious looking holly hedge. One cannot, however, escape the presence of the M25, immediately behind the clubhouse side of the ground. It's the stretch between 10 and 11 where the wooden and Perspex screening is up along the sides but the noise is constant. The clubhouse has recently been refurbished but wasn't open today for this low-key game.

Hawks4Ever

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Lilywhites
Saturday 18th July : Southern Premier League Cup - Premier Division/Division One (East)

Rowledge v Sparsholt (40 Overs) : Rowledge Won by 4 Wkts : Sparsholt Won Toss and Batted

Sparsholt 138-9 (40 Overs)
Rowledge 142-6 (33.4 Overs)

Found nice shady spot under a tree adjacent to car park. Bar was open but card only purchases. Toilets also available.
Away "dressing room" was adjacent to this tree in the open with chairs and tables provided. Umpires set themselves up on the opposite side to where I was sat who provided the bails.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Monday 20th July: Surrey Slam midweek group game
Chobham v Valley End
VE 173/5 (20) (won toss, batted) Chob 138/8 (20); VE win by 35 runs

The modified rules for the Slam tournament aren't everyone's cup of tea, but when it gets more club members playing competitive games of cricket, and gets me the chance to spend a sunny evening on the boundary of a ground as nice as Chobham, I'm not complaining.

This was, however, a stretch too far for Chobham's notably younger side against their more illustrious visitors. Valley Ends first team play in the second tier of the Championship, while Chobham ply their trade in the 4th level of the County League, eight levels below.

Valley End batted first and had an early wobble with three cheap wickets going down, but then Ian Messenger and Daniel Vernon got going, both having to retire on reaching 50 but having set a good platform to defend. Chobham made a reasonable start but lost wickets regularly to stop any momentum and fell behind the rate fairly quickly, their youngsters reasonably pleased with having got as close as they did (even if they did get a bit of a telling off from the umpire for chatting too much and not keeping the score board up to date!).

The ground in Chobham is the quintessential village fulcrum, located adjacent to the medieval church, elegant Victorian village hall and the very pleasant White Hart pub. The latter had placed a table with a QR code near the boundary to allow spectators to remotely order drinks which were then delivered by a visor-clad waitress emerging from the back door of the pub at regular intervals.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Northamptonshire Premier League Overstone Park 179-6 40 overs Peterborough 183-4 31.5 overs

Set between Wellingborough and Northampton, this game, which marked OP's return to the top flight after many years away, attracted no fewer than four intrepid groundhoppers who opted for the 11.00 start and a staccato match punctuated by compulsory visits to the boundary every six overs which elongated proceedings considerably. Is this an ECB edict? It certainly wasn't in place for the previous week's game in Derbyshire. The ground is not easy to spot, being accessed by a narrow track which leads from the road through the village and is not visible from the road.We drove past it twice and only spotted it thanks to the friendly local postie we consulted.There is a sign with OPCC on it but it is only visible when driving from Sywell.
The NPCL, who lost Northampton Saints from their top flight over the winter, are down to 10 clubs at present and have opted for 7 games for each club with the top four going into semi finals and then a final.
The ground is a very pleasant one set in the rolling Northamptonshire countryside and has a nursery ground set behind the main pitch - the third eleven were in action there. The clubhouse is on the left as you go up the drive with the away team having eleven spaces marked out beyond the boundary edge on the far side of the ground. There is no promotion or relegation this season consequently OP are under no pressure which is just as well on the evidence of their performance here, as despite rusty Peterborough bowling which resulted in 11 wides and 2 no balls, their 179 total was never going to be enough against the champions and so it proved with the visitors cruising to victory with no hiccups. Incidentally the OP team featured the sons of Northamptonshire luminaries David Capel and David Sales, past and present coaches of OP.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
Tuesday 21st July Surrey Slam group game
Bagshot v Camberley
Bagshot 182-2 (20) Camberley 183-2 (17.2)
Camberley win by 8 wickets

Another entertaining evening's cricket at a pleasant venue, busy with youngsters getting coaching in the nets, and quite a healthy crowd of parents and mates watching the match.

I missed the beginning having been sold a lemon by Frimley: turned up there almost on the stroke of 6 to find next to no activity bar a couple of lads in the nets. The fixture has subsequently been moved to Thursday at Hawley leisure centre. I dashed back to Bagshot arriving about 8 or 9 overs in with 60-odd on the scoreboard, one wicket down.

Bagshot posted a fair old total on a small but not tiny pitch, with two players retiring having made their 50 but Camberley made fairly light work of it aided somewhat by some wayward bowling at times from the home side. They also had two 50s in their innings and barring a slight slow down just before the end, had more than enough overs left target.

Bagshot CC is on the fringes of the Bagshot Park estate and access is via a gate that has Private and No Entry signs near the Premier Inn. Once through the gate there is a turning to the right with Cricket Club included on a small direction sign. Carry on up here for a couple of hundred yards (watching for the speed bumps in the dark, tree-lined lane) and the club is down a turning to the right just before another gate in the road. The car park is pretty small and not very well organised, especially with some parents leaving after one practice session, but some judicious juggling of cars meant we all just about got in. The clubhouse bar was open and doing good business on another lovely evening. The boundaries are pretty tight up against the perimeter around much of the ground, with a fringe of oak trees and fields beyond one end.

AndyE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None.
The NPCL, who lost Northampton Saints from their top flight over the winter, are down to 10 clubs at present.
Does anyone know what's happening in the Northants League? Wollaston came bottom last year and have been relegated, with Overstone Park promoted to replace them - but no Brigstock in this shortened campaign, and as noted no Northampton Saints.

Are these two clubs sitting this year out, or have they permanently resigned their places in the Premier Division?

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
It may just be that the players of those two clubs have chosen to hold intra club tournaments for the remainder of this summer rather than travel for something more meaningful. Basingstoke & North Hants and Hook & Newnham Basics have done the same in the Southern Premier League.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks