Where are you going/where did you go - Cricket

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday August 1st Lincolnshire Premier South Boston 207-9 40 overs Market Deeping 183 39 overs
The Rosebery Avenue ground is on the western extremity of Boston and is on the same site as a college and several football pitches, but is completely separate from all the other facilities. There is a bar on site called The Sportsman which attracted a lot of the local "yoof" later in the game - needless to say they were not watching the cricket!
This is a big wide open ground with lots of space to the east of the wicket where another square is laid out some distance away. Beyond that The Boston Stump rises majestically a mile or so away.
I have never been particularly impressed by the Lincolnshire PL and although this was a reasonable game I thought that they were two mediocre teams with Market Deeping bowling the staggering number of 14 wides. The match winner for Boston was opener Scott Elleray who compiled a superb 91 out of a total of 123 runs while he was at the wicket. An attractive 47 not out from Rowan Evans cemented a competitive total for Boston, although it was around 30 more runs than they should have been allowed to make.
In reply MD were always behind the asking rate and never really looked as if they had a fighting chance.
Bizarrely there were compulsory breaks every six overs for sanitising in the first innings (which took 3 hours!) but none in the second. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Incidentally I travelled here via the A46 and then the Sleaford road - this took 25 minutes longer than the route via Grantham and Melton I took on the way back so I know which way I shall be going if myself and A Pheasant are able to visit Boston United's new ground in the coming season.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Sunday 2nd August (1pm start)
National Village Cup 2nd Round
Bramshaw 127ao (37.1) lost to Sarisbury Athletic 267/8 (40)
Headcount 45 - Horse count 10
No Admission or scorecard.

An upset looked on the cards early on when the hosts took 3 early wickets for just 48 but last season's semi-finalists then scored 124 unanswered runs before losing their 4th wicket and were 232/6 when an unforecast downpour brought a halt to proceedings after the first ball of the 37th over. It was almost an hour before play resumes and the visitors continued their innings scoring another 35 but losing two more wickets. The players had their tea during the rain interruption so a short break of less than 10 minutes until the start of the hosts innings meant I missed the first wicket in the first over, possibly the first ball. The hosts recovered from the early setback and were within the run rate at 41 after 6 overs but from there the runs dried up and wickets started to fall. By the time they lost their 9th wicket they were playing like a team hanging on for a draw on the final day in the longer format of the game and they managed to survive 5 more overs before the last wicket finally fell.
IMG_20200802_130148.jpg
A lovely picturesque venue in the New Forest actually closer to the village of Brook. Ignore the right turn to Bramshaw and head half a mile further west on the B3078, ground entrance on left. Pitch is enclosed by a wooden post and wire fence as are the neighbouring golf greens, presumably to keep the wild animals off. There were plenty of new forest ponies roaming free and finding a spot on the grass where they hadn't left their mark was a challenge! Very small wooden pavilion at the top of a grass bank, didn't venture inside as it was just changing rooms and a toilet, no refreshments available.
IMG_20200802_125702.jpg
Bramshaw along with one or two others have pulled out of their Saturday group and for the rest of this summer are playing in a mini league organising flexible fixtures which can be played either 20, 30 or 40 overs and on Saturday or a midweek evening, the first of which they hosted Mudeford last Thursday. Don't know who else they are playing in this as I can't find a website for it but well worth a visit if they get another evening game.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Starter
Sunday August 2
National Village Knockout Cup
Holmesfield 168-4 (20.4) beat rolleston 167 all out by 6 wickets

Something of an upset here, as Holmesfield easily beat a side 2 divisions above there which looked even more unlikely after a first over containing 4 wides.

Holmesfields ground is around a 3 mile walk from Dronfield Woodhouse across very picturesque countryside, although it is technically located in the village of millthorpe.

It's also on a huge slope from side to side, an idiosyncrasy which the hosts used to their advantage in knowing exactly where the slot to get the ball is. Quite short boundaries but the ball was keeping low on occasion during the first innings so proved hard for a rolleston team who lost wickets with regularity to really get going.

Around 65 people there (3 dogs including one belonging to a holmesfield player who particularly enjoyed the rolleston players warm up football match and joined in with a spectacular sliding tackle). And a horse in a neighbouring field seeking attention for a lot of it.

Far worse places to see cricket!

norwich6

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 1st August
East Anglian Premier League North Group
Swardeston v Great Witchingham at the Common
Scores Great Witchingham 128 all out Swardeston 129 for 3
Admission free Raffle £1 Attendance around 175 at peak
I was rather hoping this would be a close match sadly it turned
to be a rather disappointing one .Witchingham were 1 for 2 with
captain Sam Arthurton out first ball. Charlie Rogers was then out
for 1 and the Witches were 7 for 3. Further wickets then fell on
a regular basis and eventually they managed to total 128 thanks
to 21 from Matt Long and the help of 28 extras 24 of which were
wides. For Swardeston Adam Todd finished with 4 for 27 and
spinner Joe Flatt had figures of 1 for 11 off his 10 overs
of bowling.
Witchingham were never going to defend 128 and although
they captured three Swardeston wickets Peter Lambert
smashed 53 off the 35 balls he faced and Swardeston
cruised to victory after 21 overs.

norwich6

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Sunday 2nd August
National Village Cup Cambs and Norfolk Group
Hethersett and Tas Valley v Foxton at Station Rd Flordon
Scores Foxton 252 for 6 Hethersett 228 all out 40 overs
Admission free Attendance a few more this week around 55
In the end decided not to venture to Worlington and for
the second week running went to Tas Valley Looking at the
score at Worlington it seems I made the right decision.
This was an entertaining game in which Hethersett just
fell short and had luck gone their way the result may
well have been different, For Foxton Alex Hooley scored
a fine 108 and Harry Hopwood 45.
In reply Hethersett started well but it was a big blow
when opener Tom Collishaw chopped a ball onto his stumps.
However fellow opener Ian Bryce played sensibly and anchored
the innings despite losing partners regularly at the other end.
With the run rate increasing and Bryce on 96 he went
for a big hit and was bowled by Brown. The total was
then beyond Hethersett and they were bowled out
on the final ball of the game.
A very pleasant afternoon spent at a lovely ground.

mxhornet

Youth Team Regular
Wednesday 5th August
Sprowston v Swaffham
T20 Friendly
Sprowston Cricket Ground

My first bit of live sport for almost 5 months, I chose cricket over football partly because it was so local but also the lack of potential issues attending a match versus football. My first time here for cricket, though I had previously been for football (Sprowston Wanderers) and rugby union (Norwich Union).
Also in attendance was norwich6 along with his son-in-law who I know via running, around a dozen spectating at most.
The match itself was good one with it all coming down to the last ball. Swaffham had set a target of 131 after posting 130-6 off of 20 overs. Sprowston were making good progress until losing a few wickets in a short space of time, Swaffham then looked like they might just hang on, however come the last ball they needed to take a wicket or stop Sprowston running to win, limit Sprowston to one run to draw, anything else would have meant at home win. As it was Sprowston hit a four which looked like it could have been stopped near the boundary, though I dare say they could have still got two anyway for the win. Sprowston ending on 133-7 off of 20 overs.
A pleasant evening out not only for the cricket but for a good catch up too.

Last edited:

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
As previously mentioned in a reply to Andy E's post Brigstock are sitting out the season, while Northampton Saints' demise is (I was told) nothing to do with Covid.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Hopeful
Saturday 8th August 2020
Cawthorne versus Barnsley Woolley Miners
ECB Yorkshire South Premier League
Jack Bland Trophy, Western Group (40 over match, noon start)
Cawthorne won the toss and elected to bat
Cawthorne 214-6 off 40 overs beat by 64 runs Barnsley Woolley Miners 150 off 31.5 overs
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 260 (h/c)
Clubhouse open for hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and cakes

A well attended derby at a smashing venue. The cricket ground at Cawthorne, an attractive village on the scenic west side of Barnsley Borough, is accessed via single track Dark Lane. Half-a-mile from Cannon Hall, a Georgian country house in 70 acres, the square is fringed by mature trees. A popular footpath, along the south side, connects ground and hall. The low, beautifully maintained clubhouse, adjacent to the entrance gate, has the air of a visitor centre at a nature reserve. It blends nicely into the rural surroundings. Similarly, opposite, the two-story scorebox, akin to a barn. Plenty of parking, either behind the clubhouse or between the footpath and the south side boundary. With so many trees, finding shade isn't difficult. Wooden benches are available round the ground.

For the truncated 2020 season, the Yorkshire South Premier League (one of four ECB leagues in the White Rose county) divided its 12 clubs into equal groups, based on geography. Four games into the Western Group, this fixture was fourth versus sixth. The 40 over competition follows Royal London Cup rules. Wakefield Thornes Cricket Club host the September 19 final.

Electing to bat, Cawthorne began and finished strongly. Barnsley were on top during the middle portion of the innings. Nonetheless, 214-6 looked a reasonable score on a medium size pitch. Opener Iqbal Khan (73, 11 fours), captain Liam Wiles (46), Adam Wiles (44) and Alex Morris (31) were the hosts' main contributors. Skipper Wiles was clearly furious to get out just short of a half-century. Pacer Daniel Waldron finished with 3-64.

Barnsley's reply soon hit trouble. The visitors stumbled from 6-2 in the third over to 58-5 in the 13th. Ali Jahangir, in at No 6, struck an unbeaten 75, including three sixes. He threatened to make a game of it but ran out of partners. Jahangir and Waldron (10) added 53 for the seventh wicket. Oliver Jackson made 18 and Boeta Beukes 16. I'd say half the Barnsley batters threw away their wickets with silly shots. Former Barnsley player Geoffrey Boycott would not have been impressed! Cawthorne's most effective bowlers were Aaron Feroz (3-23), Michael Jepps (3-26) and Josh Holling (2-25). Bottom-of-the-heap Barnsley are still without a point.

I overheard a home supporter expressing surprise at the size of the crowd. Her friend suggested a few neutrals might have travelled, to see a game of any description, because the Huddersfield League (of which Cawthorne are former members) has now banned spectators as part of tighter COVID-19 restrictions.

No sign of this weekend's much vaunted heatwave. The game was played out beneath thick cloud, teased by an increasingly chilly breeze.

Again, this afternoon, there was a sizeable number of spectators opting to sidestep social distancing and/or declining, on arrival, to leave contact details at the clubhouse.

How long before a vaccine?

Last edited:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Starter
Darley Dale 162 all out Ashover 112-8
Derbyshire league north division 3

Spent 45 mins of Darley Dale innings and the whole of the Ashover innings at this beautiful setting thats been used once by Derbyshire and is just the other side of Matlock to Tansley. Standard as you'd expect from the level wasn't immaculate but the scenery was great. And some of Darley Dales fielding (especially the catch for 8th wicket) was very good indeed

Attendance peaked at around the 80 mark but as soon as Ashover lost 4th wicket they tried to shut up shop for the losing draw, one batsman facing 38 balls for his 1 run

MattRam

Junior Team Sub
Make a point of going, bloody hell even my beloved perennial wooden spoonists Derbyshire have started well, strange days indeed

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Hopeful
Sunday 9th August 2020
Folkton & Flixton versus Sessay
National Village Cup, Round Three
Group Three (North Yorkshire, North) Regional Final (40 over match, 1pm start)
Sessay won the toss and elected to bat
Sessay 137 off 39.2 overs lost by seven wickets to Folkton & Flixton 140-3 off 28.1 overs
Free admission, no programmes (raffle a quid)
Attendance 125 (h/c)
Clubhouse bar open for hot and cold drinks (no food owing to COVID-19 restrictions)

What looked like one of the ties of the round, a clash of two recent National Village Cup winners from the York & District Senior League, was disappointingly one-sided. Folkton & Flixton (2018 winners) eased through at a canter. "We batted like dickheads and we bowled like dickheads," was the verdict of a Sessay (2010 and 2016 winners) boundary fielder. It was impossible to disagree, though the visitors didn't have any luck.

Little detail to share because the game wasn't scored digitally and, given social distancing, I decided against seeking out the home scorer at the end. On a resolutely cloudy, breezy and decidedly chilly afternoon, Sessay chose to bat - and were soon regretting the decision. Folkton & Flixton bowled tightly and fielded enthusiastically. At 99-6 after 30 overs, it seemed unlikely the the visitors would complete their allocation. They almost did, thanks chiefly to a last wicket stand worth 29. The top scoring Sessay batters contributed 32 (No 8), 25 (No 6) and 20 (No 2).

Under no pressure at any stage, Folkton & Flixton's reply was patience personified. They were never in danger of failing to win comfortably. The winning runs, a six, were struck by their top scorer, No 2, who made an unbeaten 59. No 3 hit 40 and No 4 23. Sessay's captain rang the changes constantly but his lacklustre bowlers simply lacked penetration. To make matters worse, the sloppy visitors must have conceded at least 20 extras.

Folkton & Flixton's compact, tidy ground, smack between the eponymous villages and adjacent to the A1039 (Filey Road), is pleasant if unremarkable. It lies at the foot of the Wolds' northern escarpment and looks across a shallow valley to the humdrum Scarborough suburbs of Cayton and Eastfield. The North Sea is nearby but masked by low hills. Best perspective is from the ground's northeast corner, next to a small graveyard. From here, one looks across the square - which slopes down markedly from south to north - towards the modern, two-storey, three-gabled clubhouse, behind which fields, dotted with livestock, rise steeply. A banner celebrating Folkton & Flixton's 2018 triumph in the National Village Cup is displayed in front of the central gable's players' balcony.

A handful of benches and picnic tables are provided for spectators. Most space is along the northern boundary. Several cars were parked here. Gradually, as the temperature became bearable, their occupants emerged, like a moth wriggling free of its chrysalis, to perch on fold-up chairs. Favoured haunt of locals - in the main, WAGS and their toddling spawn - was the southeast corner, in front of the scoreboard. Again, I'm afraid, there was very little evidence of social distancing by the younger element. Maybe today's Red Top talk of a return to full lockdown within a month isn't far off the mark. A red brick village hall occupies the ground's northwest corner. Plentiful parking is available on the adjacent second XI pitch, which boasts a tiny wooden scorebox. Cute.

Understandably noisy celebrations from the Folkton & Flixton players as they left the field. This was an important hurdle to clear. By contrast, the disconsolate Sessay boundary fielder, quoted earlier, remarked: "Never mind. There's always next year."

Last edited:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Starter
Oj Jackson cup qf
Denby 103 all out (100 balls) beat spondon 101-7 (100 balls) by 2 runs

To be fair, setting out i didn't realise they'd changed the format of this 20 over competition to a hundred ball one. And i really don't see what it added to do so. Other than huge confusion for umpires in ends to bowl from, batsmen crossing, balls allowed per bowler. And with a 1610 finish, from a 1330 start it wasn't any quicker than having the extra 3.4 overs each.

That said, what this was happened to be an excellent game between 2 of the better sides in the Derbyshire Premier league. 103 looked below par, with chris windmill doing much of the damage with 3-12 in 20 balls.

But from the moment Peter Borgoyne took a wicket with the opening delivery, spondon looked in disarray slipping to 37-5. But a couple of really good spells for them, including successive sixes for mr windmill left the total at 7 in 5 balls.

But a superb final over stemmed the flow of runs, leaving 2 needed off the final ball where a yorker could only be bottom edged for an easy run out.

Interesting 30 minute walk across farmland from the nearest bus stop operating on a Sunday. Bar was open and doing a decent trade too, counted around 180 fans in attendance and an enjoyable afternoon even if I'm far from convinced on the need for this format

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Sub
A quick catch-up of the weekend's watchings

Friday 7th
Slough v Finchampstead
ECB U19 T20 Cup, Berkshire Div 1 group game
Finchampstead 153-5 (20) Slough 129-7 (20)
Finch win by 24 runs

In contrast to the Surrey Slam games I have watched recently, guided by the spirit of greater inclusion and playing opportunities. the u19 competition is much more competitive as only a youth competition can be.

Finch batted first and barring the opener departing with 4 on the board, set the standard with a fine century stand for the second wicket. The other opener, McMurray fell just short of his 50, but his partner in the big stand was forced to retire on reaching that mark. A few more wickets before the end but the total was boosted by 26 extras, in a tie settled by 24 runs... Slough started steadily losing the first two wickets at 48 and 75. They then went from that 75-2 to 85-7. The final pair added 40-odd to give some respectability, but they were second best on the night.

Slough CC is on the SE fringes of the town with two big playing areas and a substantial club house, open for drinks, between the two. This is on a raised back, and there is a similar berm in between the two pitches. All star junior training and public footpaths on one side meant plenty of coming and going but quite a crowd watched the bulk of the game with the usual mix of parents and mates.

Saturday 8th
Cranleigh v Walton on Thames
Surrey Challenge Cup, Group 11 (40 overs)
Walton 193-6 (40) Cranleigh 198-4 (34.5)
Cranleigh win by 6 wickets

Cranleigh Common is at the western end of town but still only 5 minutes walk to the centre. One side has the busy main road along it, but there are plenty of quieter spots to find, and numerous benches dotted on the perimeter. Mercifully some of these were under trees as well for some shade on a very hot day. A friendly welcome in the club with a one way system and a signing in book in the bar.

These two teams should have headed in different directions this season with Cranleigh regaining Premier Division status and Walton falling to Div 2. Walton batted first, ponderously but solidly. They took about 5 or 6 overs to get the score into double figures but the openers put on 94 before Harris fell just before his 50, Roberts falling shortly after for 55. A bit of a late acceleration and knocks of thirty from two more meant a better target was set than had looked likely at about 30 overs. Cranleigh, however, had no trouble reaching this with 5 overs to spare. Half centuries for Anderson and Broughton (unbeaten) the mainstay and proceedings finished off with a huge straight six.

Sunday 9th
Cookham Deane v Wraysbury
National Village Cup Round 3 (Berkshire Final)
Wraysbury 122ao (37.5) Cookham Deane 124-1 (23.2)
Cookham win by 9 wickets

Another one-sided match in the cup today, Wraysbury finding the step up to their hosts too much to bridge after recording an easy win themselves last week. They lost wickets regularly throughout with no partnerships of note. Cookham found it all too easy and apart from the opener being undone by a slower ball had few worries in getting us home and hosed by about half past five even with a 30 minute interval between innings.

A good crowd of locals were watching with a pizza tent and the bar both doing good trade so probably a healthy day for the club who will host the Hampshire winners next week. A sometimes breezy but still very hot day meant watching was from the spot I bagged on arrival in the shade of the fence along one side, and did not relinquish. I was treated to the rambling reminiscences of three old boys including tales of tea with Yul Brinner in a Beirut hotel, meeting the King of Jordan in a lift (in Jordan, so possibly less surprising than it may sound), and driving overland to India.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Do Cookham Dean CC play at the same ground as their football team in the Thames Valley League?

Isaac Hunt

Junior Team Star
National Village Cup

Kent Regional Final

Bearsted v Sibton Park

Bearsted won the toss and elected to bat first and set the Sibton Park a target of 222 runs. The visitors lost three wickets with just 28 runs on the board and never looked like winning and the final wicket fell with 143 on the scoreboard.

A traditional village green and quite a healthy attendance probably about 60-70 with people coming and going although it was difficult to tell who was there for the cricket and who was sunbathing. I got a nice shaded bench and the cool breeze was very welcome. All played in a very sporting manner and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. One of the visitors was telling me about what a nice ground they have, one for the to do list. Nice to attend some competitive sport for the first time since covid arrived here. Trophy presentation at the end.

Last edited:

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
No, this was a cricket only venue. It's on Whyteladyes Lane between Cookham and Cookham Deane.
Thanks. Was considering Cookham Dean v Sarisbury Athletic, who easily beat Easton & Martyr Worthy in the Hampshire final, as a possibility for next Sunday but my first choice is Burbage & Easton Royal v North Perrott (Wiltshire v Somerset winners).

Last edited:

AndyE

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
None.
Bearsted v Sibton Park

A traditional village green.
Was the game played at Bearsted or Hollingbourne?

As Isaac probably knows but others won't, Hollingbourne CC packed up a couple of years ago. Since then, Bearsted CC have been using the ground alongside their own ground, and it seems to be becoming their main venue.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday August 8th Scunthorpe Town 202-6 Louth 193 all out 39.5 overs

Another champagne job for me with Lord Clee of Tile Hill once again failing to cut the mustard in supplying it. A better game than last week's at Boston with Scunthorpe looking a useful outfit. Although the winning margin was only 9 runs, in reality Scunthorpe won this comfortably as loose Louth bowling had gifted a large number of their runs and the target always looked to be too high. The ground is close to the town centre and is shared with Scunthorpe Rugby Club for whom three floodlight pylons remain in place in the summer. This is a good facility with a modern clubhouse in place, although the Covid signs were somewhat confusing. There isn't a great deal of shade here but trees just in front of the scoreboard provided sufficient for us.
I have enjoyed doing this league although I would not consider it one of the strongest ECB Premier Leagues. That leaves me with one ground each in the Home Counties and the Leicestershire to complete this season.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Saturday 8th August (1:30pm start)
Dorset "Thank You NHS League" Division 2
Witchampton 156/7 (5 pts) lost to Ferndown Wayfarers 159/3 (18 pts)
Headcount 30 - No admission or scorecard

Called in at this on the way back from the Blandford United v Shaftesbury pre-season friendly. The gates were shut so had to Park around the corner and walk around a footpath through a large gate to enter the ground. The visitors were 11/1 in their reply to the hosts' 156 early in the innings when I arrived and the Witches must have fancied their chances at that time having made an early breakthrough but they would only take two more wickets, both catches, and the visitors reached their target with a 4 in I think the 37th over (manual scoreboard not updated very often). They had a player who could whack the ball and scored a few sixes on what is quite a large pitch, helped by having the ball bowled to him at shoulder height where he could volley the ball to beyond the boundary.
IMG_20200808_181346.jpg
No doubt many on here will have visited this lovely rural venue for football. My only previous visit was in October 1999 when Witchampton United spent three seasons in the Dorset Combination before ground grading forced them back down to the Dorset Senior League, where they remained until sadly folding in 2018. The football pitch markings are still visible and the wooden dugouts are still in place, see bottom photo (one is hidden behind a parked car). Hopefully one day football will return to Crichel Park.
IMG_20200808_185753.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks